Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first real Cab pick up, Nintendo DK restore.  (Read 19491 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
My first real Cab pick up, Nintendo DK restore.
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:46:12 pm »
I ran across an add for a Street fighter 2 cab. After talking to the guy he wanted $250. I said ok and mad my way over, very excited for my first real cab. When I got there it seems to be a converted Nintendo cab. Is it? ether way I'm super happy.

Here is the in side.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:57:20 pm by Locke141 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: My first real Cab pick up. Is it what I think it is?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 10:59:37 pm »
Yeah, it is.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:03:32 pm »
Are you going to convert it back?

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:49 pm »
Are you going to convert it back?

This was going to be a quick and ez first step into a beat up old cab into a Mame conversation BYOAC stile but now I feel obligated to restore. Any one know the pain code is for the blue and where I should look for DK art at a reasonable price?

When I thought it was a Street fighter I was going to clean it up and donate it to my Dad’s Elks lodge. If I can do this on a budget I’ll restore the out side and mame the inside to a short list of 4 way vertical games with only one button. Untill I can find a DK PCB in my price range.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:26:54 pm by Locke141 »

dmckean

• Offline Offline

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 12:08:11 am »
It's just a Nintendo cab... Mame that ---smurfette---!
%Bartop

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:20:31 am »
To fix it up you are essentially going to have to buy everything but the monitor and coin door, so you might want to have some fun with it instead of a full restore.  I'm normally not a fan of custom cabs for console games, especially lengthy ones, but these did turn out really nice:

https://www.retroist.com/2018/08/21/custom-built-ducktales-arcade-cabinet/

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 07:24:18 am »
Yea I’m a big fan of those. 

I need look around and see what’s what. My thinking as of now is to paint spend the time and money to do a good job paint it blue and getting qulity side art. I can do qulity non original button and joysticks from Grovey Game Gear and get it in the short turn get it play able and on its way to a nice restore.

If BYOAC has thought me any thing taking your time to go it right is key. I can peace together the bezel, CP, and marquee after it’s relayed out, painted, tmolded, and MAME is running.

Or I could stick an XXX-in one board in there untill next summer and tackle a full restor then. That way I can accumulate everything I need for a near full restore.

Ether way I want to get the SF3 board working be for I do anything.

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2023, 04:21:07 pm
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 09:07:01 am »
Try stripping the black paint first, DON'T start sanding it yet!! CitriStrip is amazing.

I cant believe there was more then one Ninty converted to SFII but I had almost the same mess as you, and I made it worse then it needed to be.

The sides of Ninty cabs (maybe not all) seem to be painted with more of a GelCoat (like a boat) then a paint. If I had realized this before I started sanding I could have just stripped the black off and been done (with minor dings, dents and age). I use to work at a boat shop and the second the sander heated up that blue I could smell it, by then it was too late to turn back.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:14:24 am by Buick455 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 09:16:21 am »
Try stripping the black paint first, DON'T start sanding it yet!! CitriStrip is amazing.

I cant believe there was more then one Ninty converted to SFII but I had almost the same mess as you, and I made it worse then it needed to be.

The sides of Ninty cabs (maybe not all) seem to be painted with more of a GelCoat (like a boat) then a paint. If I had realized this before I started sanding I could have just stripped the black off and been done (with minor dings, dents and age). I use to work at a boat shop and the second the sander heated up that blue I could smell it, by then it was too late to turn back.

Will do. Please share the like to that project.

Thanks

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:05:45 am »
Will do. Please share the like to that project.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142495.0.html

Idk if I would call mine a project, more like a series of regrets. It was a mess. Plan was gut it, clean it, MAME it, paint it & call it a day. It stalled out when I decided I want the CRT back in, I just don't know where to start since the wiring was toast and the monitor didn't look right when I got it. That is a "HELP ME" post for the future, lol.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
My first real Cab pick up. Is it what I think it is?
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 10:13:11 am »
I’m just going to say Nintendo cabs look bad themed anything besides Nintendo properties. Maybe it’s an illusion, but that’s food for thought.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 10:55:25 am »
I’m just going to say Nintendo cabs look bad themed anything besides Nintendo properties. Maybe it’s an illusion, but that’s food for thought.

Agreed, this on the out side going to be using original repo art/theme. But at least at as of now it will be MAME to play at least the other Nintendo arcade game of the time that fit the layout.

I’m picking it up from the guy on Saturday (needed a bigger car). Is there a way of tell what game it was originally? I thought I read that some cabinets were wider.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 11:03:55 am »
easiest way is the plate on the back if its still on there
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 11:12:30 am »
I'd say it's not worth restoring back to DK or whatever it was unless you are a big DK fan. Generally if you need Nintendo parts I'd check Mikesarcade.com since he specializes in Nintendo games. You can at least price out what you'd need that way. I'm not a huge fan of 60-in-1 boards, but if you can get SF2 running then it's already wired for JAMMA. Would be a simple swap with a 60-in-1 to get it going.

For me I'd want to ID what the cab was. I'm obsessive like that. Any chance the Nintendo serial number plate is on the top-middle on the back? I'd also loosen the coin door frame to see if you can see a color underneath. Might also be unpainted under the SF2 overlay on the front. Barring that I'd try CitriStrip or SafeStrip on a bottom-back corner where it'd be less noticeable.

Here's a list/picture of every Nintendo cabinet. Odds are it's DK, Popeye, or DK Junior: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/nintendo-video-arcade-machine-reference-19781985_topic352997.html

Is the speaker still behind the logo overlay on the front? That would have to sound horrible.

STANDARD CAVEAT: ELECTRICITY CAN KILL YOU. DON'T GO POKING AROUND IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND YOU'RE NOT PREPARED TO BE CAREFUL. IF YOU"RE CHANGING FUSES OR MESSING WITH THE POWER WIRING UNPLUG IT FIRST.

In most cases if I'm getting nothing out of an old conversion, there's a few steps to figure out where power is going wrong. If it's plugged in and you flip the switch, are you hearing the monitor get voltage? are you seeing the monitor's neck glow orange?  ON A NINTENDO CAB, DO NOT PLUG THE MONITOR IN AN EXTENSION CORD TO TEST IT! The Sanyo 20EZ in most Nintendo cabinets runs off 100v (less than your standard US 110v outlet) which is why it's plugged into that outlet in the bottom.

If you see/hear absolutely nothing from the monitor, check that the volume adjustment on the SFII board is not turned totally counter-clockwise You usually don't have to turn it much to get a suitable volume. if you crank it these games can get LOUD. Try adding coins and see if the game will play "blind". Adding multiple coins should make a sound if the board's working (and sound works on it).  If you still are getting nothing at all I'd unplug it and check all the fuses before breaking out a multimeter (If you don't have one, you'll need it eventually). Could also be an issue with the power wiring in general or a bad switch.

If the monitor is coming on but the game seems unresponsive, I'd suspect a bad power supply first. You can check the 5v at the power supply terminals with a multimeter to see what the voltage actually is or just spend the $20-$30 to replace it.

EDITED TO MAKE THE ADDING COINS COMMENT CLEARER
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:16:01 am by Crowquill »
Brevity is not my strong suit.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 12:08:42 pm »
It isn't worth restoring. Nintendo cabinets have probably peaked in value right now, their price has long been connected to the general value of Nes console games, which has been flat the past year and a half after quadrupling over the previous decade. Other demand, home users, probably peak as well, since your average kong player is going to be 50 years old now. Finally, barcades are probably also at close to their peak. Not to mention the fact that people are still deconverting these and even building brand new ones.

Meanwhile, Street Fighter 2 has been going up in demand and value every year. And even though I am not a huge fan of the genre, it is way more of a crowd pleaser than Kong is. You are never going to spend an entire evening with one of your friends just playing Donkey Kong, but you might with Street Fighter.

I priced it out at Mikesarcade. You are at $600 to turn this game back, not counting any possible monitor and power supply problems that the cabinet might already have.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 12:50:41 pm »
Thanks Page,

This is not going to be a KLOV quality restore. My original plan was to clean it up, sell the SF2 board and make it MAME or Pandoras box5 and give it to my Dads Elks lodge, for there members game room. I would be happy to make the paint look on point, add white T molding, adding reusable repo side art/CP/marquee/Beze and maybe adding an original part here or there if I snack somthing on eBay on the cheep.

Deftly going to use modern built 4way controls (something like Pac-Pro Leaf), MAME with a bunch of game that will play with the CP it has (like PacMan). It's probably still going to live in an Elks lodge members game room so resale is not the goal.

That just my thinking now. I may just clean it up a bit and try to resell to some one who wants to do a full restore and just start looking for the kind of 90's cab I was originally looking for.

Thanks Crowquill,

I will be carful and will ask for help as I go.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:41:22 pm by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 12:52:12 pm »
My 2 cents:   (Brace yourselves as some of you might die from shock.)  Imho Nintendo arcade games suck.  Dk will only distract you for 5 min at best as would other arcade titles like popeye ect.  Punchout and arm wrestling aren't very good either.  The only Ones that are any good are the VS and playchoice machines and you are really just playing NES with those.  Even taking that out of the equation I'm not super fond of the Nintendo joysticks.  YMMV though. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 01:07:55 pm »
Even taking that out of the equation I'm not super fond of the Nintendo joysticks.  YMMV though.

The original cab's looked nice. I'm shooting for original look but with a vertical, 4way, one or less button MAME powered Arcade classics game list in side.

Again I need to research. I don't do this stuff to make money. I do it because I love the proses. If I can do something I'll be proud of, at a price I can live with I'll do it. If not, I'll just list it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:41:04 pm by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 01:14:25 pm »
Yeah sorry about that.  I think we posted at the same time.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 01:57:56 pm »

Here's a list/picture of every Nintendo cabinet. Odds are it's DK, Popeye, or DK Junior: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/nintendo-video-arcade-machine-reference-19781985_topic352997.html

Based on that list and the fact mine has two coin mecks this cab was it's probably on of the following:

• Donkey Kong Junior
  • PoPeye
  • Mario Bros
  • Donkey Kong 3

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:11:09 pm by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 02:30:19 pm »
You need to get that paint off of it to see what color it is.  Heh, you could go the nerdy route and make it a Radar Scope.  ;)

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 03:13:00 pm »
I'm going from memory, but I think all DKs besides the early red Radarscope factory conversions have 2-slot coin doors.

Although there were dedicated cabinets, I think most DK3s were conversion kits for DK and Junior. Mario Bros was also sold as a kit. Factory Mario Bros came in a wider cabinet with a different coin door.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Brevity is not my strong suit.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 03:18:17 pm »
I'm going from memory, but I think all DKs besides the early red Radarscope factory conversions have 2-slot coin doors.

Although there were dedicated cabinets, I think most DK3s were conversion kits for DK and Junior. Mario Bros was also sold as a kit. Factory Mario Bros came in a wider cabinet with a different coin door.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sweet, all I know is I want blue. Ordered CitriStrip. If blue and its recoverable, could it would be nice to just plug holes and do some touching up. The color may determine wether or not I restore. Could deniably live with Mario Bros art.

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 06:01:41 pm »
I'm wondering what exactly was done/molested to change the monitor angle. Looks like the upper bezel/lower marquee bracket is there but the monitor should be tilted much further back & the bezel plastic should be almost vertical, not like it is in your pic.

Mine is setup with 4/8 way servo stick, 2 button and around 60 games. It looks like it was rolled down a hill, the coin door is still off and the coin buttons are on piece of scrap clamped were the coin door should be. It still gets turned on and played at least 2x a week which is part of the reason it isnt finished. I screwed up and made it playable  :lol

I hope the CitriStrip works out for you. Like Crow said, try it on the back bottom corner. Idk if all Nintendo cabs were like mine, I just wish I knew before hand.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 06:17:36 pm »
It is actually really easy to change the monitor angle in most cabinets, just need a little wood and some screws.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 06:22:44 pm »
I'm wondering what exactly was done/molested to change the monitor angle. Looks like the upper bezel/lower marquee bracket is there but the monitor should be tilted much further back & the bezel plastic should be almost vertical, not like it is in your pic.

Was wondering the same after got home. It was not obvious from looking at the out side.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:34:40 pm by Locke141 »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »

Based on that list and the fact mine has two coin mecks this cab was it's probably on of the following:

• Donkey Kong Junior
  • PoPeye
  • Mario Bros
  • Donkey Kong 3

So you narrowed it down to every game that used that cab that wasn't ultra rare.  ;D

Check for a plate like Malenko mentioned. Also if the monitor angle is off, it was probably rotated. Meaning that it wasn't a mario bros or a popeye. You can get a good guess by checking out the original mounting holes. I would guess a blue original DK.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 08:31:03 pm »
My 2 cents:   (Brace yourselves as some of you might die from shock.)  Imho Nintendo arcade games suck.
I agree with this, but I would give DK Jr. more play-ability credit than regular DK or DK3. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 08:38:37 pm »
Ugh. Jr is my least favorite one. 3 is worlds better.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 08:57:32 pm »
Like I said, I'm picking up on Saturday when I have access to a bigger car. Speculation is all I can do to with my excitement until then. I'll make a plane once I get the Cab home.

Most of the Nintendo cabs look great and would be happy to go with just about any of those themes. I'm super excited to have a real cab to work on. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:38:03 pm by Locke141 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 09:06:39 pm »
Sorry Yots. DK Jr. Is pancakes and DK3 is broccoli.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 09:21:55 pm »
DK3 isn't nearly as bad as everyone says, but I kind of like Dk Jr. more.  That being said neither are exactly on my top 10. 

I would like to see somebody make a custom VS. Castlevania.  Something super goth to offset all the pastels that Nintendo cabs normally have. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 09:22:13 pm »
Sorry Yots. DK Jr. Is pancakes and DK3 is broccoli.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 09:35:24 pm »
Donkey Kong is fun as hell. I probably have as many hours in Donkey Kong as I do Skyrim.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 09:37:51 pm »
In order:
DK Jr
DK 3
DK

Yeah, I said it. I've actually had more fun with DK3 lately. The guy looks goofy, but the game play is good. 

I've restored 4 nintendo cabs in all. By restore, I mean, I painted original colors, put on original artwork and upgraded controls (4 way WICO) and went with Mame and a CRT. It's an expensive restore, but a Donkey Kong cabinet is just an awesome site to behold.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 09:49:28 pm »

I've restored 4 nintendo cabs in all. By restore, I mean, I painted original colors, put on original artwork and upgraded controls (4 way WICO) and went with Mame and a CRT. It's an expensive restore, but a Donkey Kong cabinet is just an awesome site to behold.

I like the DK JR art the best with DK a close second in that trilligy. What you did is kind of what I have in mind as of the moment. I'm not going to end up with 5 Nintendo cads and it would be nice to have a few select games the fit the controls of an original CP. I may decide to go all in and full restore.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 10:02:01 pm »
Honestly, I preferred having a Vs cab to a dedicated DK when I did Janky Kong.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 10:07:06 pm »
Make it a Fix it Felix

Not that anyone cares but DKJr, DK-Pauline, DK3

DK3 isnt bad if you treat it like a shmup, I just think Jr is the most fun
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 10:08:03 pm »
I should give DK3 another chance. I just found it weird that part of the gameplay is shooting DK up the butt. :lol