Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first real Cab pick up, Nintendo DK restore.  (Read 19726 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
Re: My first real Cab pick up. Is it what I think it is?
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 10:14:38 pm »
I should give DK3 another chance. I just found it weird that part of the gameplay is shooting DK up the butt. :lol

Make it a Fix it Felix

Not that anyone cares but DKJr, DK-Pauline, DK3

DK3 isnt bad if you treat it like a shmup, I just think Jr is the most fun

From here?

Howard is your rapper still the way to play Fix it Felix?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:40:49 pm by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 11:02:38 pm »
Yeah as far as I know I'm the only one stupid enough to work on that.   Someone also made a genesis port of the game, but it has a few gameplay differences and obviously it's horizontal. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 10:24:58 pm »
Picked it up and brought it to my dad's place. Could use some help getting it working in it's current configuration.

The monitor turns on but is white no sound at all.

There was no paint under the taped on side art posters.

The front art was in bad shape so didn't try to save.

Here is under they joy stick.

JAMA is disconnected in this photo because I tried my 60-in-1 to see if I would get a image.

Right before I lest to go home the citric striper came. I only had a dab on about a minute as I was in a rush but it did a good job only removing the black in my quick test.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 10:33:13 pm by Locke141 »

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2018, 11:18:03 pm »
Those are pretty good signs of life to work with. Due to the inverted video that the Sanyo monitors use, white is what it shows when there is no signal. That little board above the game board is an inverter so the monitor can use normal signals.

I'm guessing you got nothing from the 60-in-1 as well. I'd check power supply next.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Brevity is not my strong suit.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2018, 11:38:04 pm »
Heh.  I love how the jerk that converted it couldn't even be bothered to paint the whole thing and left a big spot where the side art goes.  I know it's a business, but sometimes operators are the worst. 

The good news is they didn't do a good job of painting it, so the citristrip is probably going to work really well like it did on your test spot. 

Btw, those crimp connectors on the invertor board look a bit janky, that could be part of your problem right there. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2018, 11:46:54 pm »

I'm guessing you got nothing from the 60-in-1 as well. I'd check power supply next.

Sweet, I'll bring my meter next time I'm out.

Howard, I'll put that on the list of thing to test.

Been looking for color codes for the touching up I'll need to do. Here are the two I found. Any helpful info welcome.

Code 1

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:24:29 pm
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2018, 05:07:38 pm »
Its nice of the person who converted it to black saved you some CitriStrip by skipping that 1sft of space on each side :lol

In all seriousness I'm happy the CitriStrip is working. Hows the sides look damage (dings & dents) wise?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:29 pm »

Been looking for color codes for the touching up I'll need to do. Here are the two I found. Any helpful info welcome.

Code 1

If you aren't going to repaint the entire thing it'd probably make sense to take in a piece of the cab (like the back door) and have it color matched.  It could have faded or the citristrip could effect the color.  I made the mistake when repainting my gorf to color match to a piece of the decal,  but it had faded and thus they don't exactly match. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2018, 11:00:28 pm »
Its nice of the person who converted it to black saved you some CitriStrip by skipping that 1sft of space on each side :lol

In all seriousness I'm happy the CitriStrip is working. Hows the sides look damage (dings & dents) wise?

It looks pretty good over all, some edge damage here and there. I'm glad you mad the suggestion.

Howard, that's a good point. I'll see what I can do.

I'm super torn. I want to do the DK but also tempted to make it a fixit Felix. That said, I already got a DK bezel on ebay for $42 shipped. Ether way this will not be a factor restore. I would be happy if it came out looking like a well keep 37 year old cab.

For now my priorities are to get ever thing working in the current config and to strip it completely to the original blue. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2018, 11:17:15 pm »

It looks pretty good over all, some edge damage here and there. I'm glad you mad the suggestion.

Howard, that's a good point. I'll see what I can do.

I'm super torn. I want to do the DK but also tempted to make it a fixit Felix. That said, I already got a DK bezel on ebay for $42 shipped. Ether way this will not be a factor restore. I would be happy if it came out looking like a well keep 37 year old cab.

For now my priorities are to get ever thing working in the current config and to strip it completely to the original blue.

Just stick with the DK.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2018, 11:51:07 pm »
As cute as fix it felix is, I tend to agree.  The dk artwork is a classic.  Then again I always preferred the red radar scope conversions, so YMMV. 

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2018, 07:43:12 am »
I'm super torn. I want to do the DK but also tempted to make it a fixit Felix.

I'm saying DK but I have already built a FFJR.  My thinking is do one and if you want to do another from scratch you have the template.

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2018, 07:57:50 am »
Your cab has a metal CP, mine was wood, so the following might not apply..

Under the CP attached to each side (inside cab) is a scrap of wood the locks are mounted to. The few cabs I have seen they were cut from scrap material the sides were made of so blue/orange. They would be the least faded to use for color match, but might be difficult to remove & take to the paint shop. I think they are just pin nailed in though.

As for the FIFJr vs DK, I started building a FIFJr bc it gives me a second button without looking out of place on the CP. Visually though, I'd rather build it out as a DK or even back to Popeye and lose a button.

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2018, 06:16:09 pm »
Your cab has a metal CP, mine was wood, so the following might not apply..

As for the FIFJr vs DK, I started building a FIFJr bc it gives me a second button without looking out of place on the CP. Visually though, I'd rather build it out as a DK or even back to Popeye and lose a button.

The metal CP would have been an addition when they did the conversion. You'll need to replace it with wood and plexi if you want it to look right as DK. As for a second button, there's modified DK overlay artwork for multicades that have multiple buttons.

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2018, 09:48:32 pm »
Here is under they joy stick.

Looking at the old holes in this pic, it looks to be a VS Unisystem or PlayChoice CP, maybe?
Is there a tag on the back above the rear door?

edit: found pic I'm leaning towards the PlayChoice
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:55:44 pm by Buick455 »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2018, 11:35:31 pm »
Yes, the holes looks like it was a Donkey Kong converted to a single screen Playchoice.

However what it was between then and now doesn't mean anything, this was a Donkey Kong.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2018, 10:02:04 am »
I tried stripping the pain on one side. I was at my Dad’s to help him with out. Did a quick once over to see what I’d get. Here the original paint was in good shape. However I can see spots where the blue is damaged. It looks like some touching up is the minimum that will have to be done.

Annoyingly I forgot my multimeter so could not test the power supply.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:34:19 pm by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2018, 11:15:13 am »
I picked up a nice reproduction bezel.
Turned out to be an original. Was in really good shape.

May I request a mod move this thread to project announcements? I would like to keep this in one thread.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:50:20 pm by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
Re: My first real Cab pick up, Nintendo DK restore.
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2018, 12:56:44 pm »
Thanks Scott  :cheers:

The metal CP would have been an addition when they did the conversion. You'll need to replace it with wood and plexi if you want it to look right as DK. As for a second button, there's modified DK overlay artwork for multicades that have multiple buttons.

Is this what you had in mind?

I think I'll probably go with a original stile CP. Then again this will be running MAME Are there any two player 4 way Vertical games I'm not thinking of I might want it to play?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:58:29 pm by Locke141 »

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2018, 10:59:20 am »
Originally I was thinking an original DK layout with an extra button added next to jump. Not finding an example of one now, but I've seen vector art online that could be printed and put under plexi. If you can't find one PM me and I'd be happy to edit one together.

And now you've reached the big rabbit hole everyone here lingers over. What controls to add and what games do you value? How accurate do you want it to be to the original?

With your 60-in-1 a 4-way and 2 buttons will let you play probably 40. If you care about shooters go with a 8-way and you'll be able to play 85%. Or add a trackball and you can play everything but Commando. Those boards let you disable games from the menu you don't have controls for.

The average Joe who walks up to a machine doesn't like too many options. Give them too many j to pick from and they'll get frustrated and walk away. Or they'll just play Pac-Man.

If you're doing a full MAME setup then sky's the limit. MAME can scale and center the image, so you could even play horizontal games on it.

When I built my MAME cab 15+ years ago I wanted versatility. I went with the fairly standard horizontal computer monitor, 2-player panel with 8-way sticks and 7 buttons per side. It's a lot to squeeze onto a Frogger control panel. I've played LOTS of Donkey Kong with 8-ways and it's fine. If you hit a diagonal Mario will stop, but it's rare with the gameplay that you press diagonals outside of maybe ladder transitions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2018, 11:54:22 am »
All good points. I try to avoid fetcher creep. My goal it to have this look like a original DK and would like to keep it to just 4 way vertical games with 20ish games.

This will be going live in the game room of my dad’s Elks lodge, they are trying to attract new younger members and duds in there 50’s would qualify as younger. I’m hoping to add one or two dedicated cabs. I keeping an eye out for a cheep 90’s cab as I want a fighter.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »
All good points. I try to avoid fetcher creep. My goal it to have this look like a original DK and would like to keep it to just 4 way vertical games with 20ish games.

This will be going live in the game room of my dad’s Elks lodge, they are trying to attract new younger members and duds in there 50’s would qualify as younger. I’m hoping to add one or two dedicated cabs. I keeping an eye out for a cheep 90’s cab as I want a fighter.

I would put all the vertical 4-way games in the all killer, no filler list on it. I would also use the GGG Pac-Pro leaf joystick and leaf buttons as a lot of those games will play best with those controls. Nintendo joysticks and buttons are best for DK, but would be frustrating for almost everything else.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2018, 03:00:46 pm »

I would put all the vertical 4-way games in the all killer, no filler list on it. I would also use the GGG Pac-Pro leaf joystick and leaf buttons as a lot of those games will play best with those controls. Nintendo joysticks and buttons are best for DK, but would be frustrating for almost everything else.

This largely reflects my thinking. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 10:46:59 pm »
Wether is getting nice and I have a week off work coming up, so am planing to get back to this.

Goal's for spring brake:
  • Get it working as with the SF board.
  • Get it gutted for stripping and paining
  • Start Bondo painting

Anyone have any advice on molding, control panel, and side art? This will have to be on a budget so am willing to go a little cheeper on the side art as I can easily upgrade it later if I'm not happy with it. How ever, I do plan on taking my time and spending the money needed on the paint and body.

I'm definitely a little torn on wether to do an original stile CP or one of the two player versions. I want it to look original for the out side but it will be a MAME build for an all thriller vertical classics setup.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:53:54 pm by Locke141 »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2019, 12:03:20 am »
Glad to see you are back at this.   :cheers:

Instead of paint have you considered laminate?  The Caribbean Blue looks very good on a DK cabinet.

https://www.skyskipperproject.com/lets-talk-laminate/

My only suggestion on the CP would be to find a joystick that works well for games other than DK.  My daughter is a purist and demanded we get an authentic DK joystick for our Fix-it-Felix build.  The Nintendo games play fine on it but the other 4-way games (Pac Man, Nibbler, etc...) not so much.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2019, 06:17:34 am »
Glad to see you are back at this.   :cheers:

Instead of paint have you considered laminate?  The Caribbean Blue looks very good on a DK cabinet.

https://www.skyskipperproject.com/lets-talk-laminate/

My only suggestion on the CP would be to find a joystick that works well for games other than DK.  My daughter is a purist and demanded we get an authentic DK joystick for our Fix-it-Felix build.  The Nintendo games play fine on it but the other 4-way games (Pac Man, Nibbler, etc...) not so much.

I'll take a look at the laminate, I'm  a bit nerves to try something new on this one. My current thinking is the Pac-Pro for a joystick.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2019, 06:54:46 pm »
Make it a Fix it Felix

Not that anyone cares but DKJr, DK-Pauline, DK3

DK3 isnt bad if you treat it like a shmup, I just think Jr is the most fun

I picked up an original DK bezel in good condition for a good price so I think this will remain ostensibly a DK. I’ll keep it two player but with pac pro’s or a like, so may have to costume make a CP. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2023, 10:12:38 pm »
Wow, it’s been a while. but this project is back from the to do later.

I haven’t working on it since brain cancer unexpectedly put this project on hold. This started years ago and I bought a lot of equipment. As for the control panels, I decide I’m gonna start off by completing the build with the vinyl control panel print I bought years ago. I’m gonna try to keep the outside of the machine as original looking as possible. For now, the inside will be a 60 in 1 and one four-way joy.

Long term, I may make a second control panel and make it MAME on the inside. But even then it’s going to be limited in the number of games.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2023, 11:44:35 am »
Pic’s!!!

I just did a test fit of the plexi cover I had. Looks good.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2023, 05:52:55 pm »
Here is the cabinet gutted and ready to go for a paint. My dad‘s neighbor also my neighbor growing up, it’s a professional painter is going to do the job at a reasonable price.

I removed all the metal bars and the bolts that lead to the outside. I replaced the the transition from out to in  by gluing and screw in wood blocks internally to hold the frame of the top of the CRT. All the bolt holes are getting speckled and painted over. All screws are song below the external surface.

Also took the two side mounds that look like they were once one piece. I think they were ground in half to make two side. I reattach them with four screws and peace of a 2 x 4, this works for now. Let me see if I can find room of welder to do some quick welding.

The back cover is so shot that I am considering just making a new one. Check out the pics below and feel free to give me feedback.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2023, 07:30:15 pm »
After sanding an sparkling on the sides for the first time.

I know the garage looks like a mess. My dad is a hoarder and it's getting done in his garage.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:36:10 pm by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2023, 08:32:28 pm »
Here she is after the paint job. It's not perfect but it's way better than when this project started.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:34:10 pm by Locke141 »

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2023, 03:20:04 pm »
Hey Locke, Congradulations on getting your project completed. I know - I've got a few staring me down that I have to get back on ;).

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2023, 08:32:34 pm »
Hey Locke, Congradulations on getting your project completed. I know - I've got a few staring me down that I have to get back on ;).

Thanks MartyKong,

It's not quite done, but I feel good again some progress made. I'm a little nervous to see how the monitor goes I might have to re-carpet.