Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RoToron ロトロン  (Read 83298 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:06:32 pm
Re: RoToron ロトロン
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2019, 09:15:44 am »
Don't be discouraged by your lack of drawing talent.

Not many people have the innate artistic abilities that I possess. I am still pissed the Javeryh didn't use this for his side art.

Seriously though that is very nice work. Putting pen to paper like that is part talent, part skill, and part practice.

This may still get used at some point.  I need to get of my lazy a** and finish my mini cab and then ponder the next project...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:40 am »
I got the official project hat!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:44:51 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2019, 06:00:51 pm »
Just call me the thread resurrector.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2019, 10:50:18 pm »
And of Ond?  The legends whisper that he is not dead -
that he only sleeps, and in this forum's hour of greatest need
he shall return, triumphant and resplendent, in his dust mask and regalia
and he shall ride eternal
shiny and high gloss.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #244 on: August 20, 2019, 06:05:42 am »
:laugh2:

You guys......and I was just getting all cosy, sitting back watching your projects progressing with all the obvious hard work you've been putting in. 

Good timing actually.  Since I moved into the new place I've been spending any spare moments working toward a workspace to work on my projects again.  I took delivery of some structural pine and drywall sheeting on the weekend which I'm going to make a wall for peg boards and other wall mounted stuff.  This is not a big deal and shouldn't take more than a few days to get most of it done.  The other thing I'm doing is taking two weeks off work (first two weeks of September) to spend time almost entirely on this and other arcade related projects.

My goal is to have my workshop ready by the time I take leave.  In my part of the world the forecast is for continuous rain...for ever.  This was the view as I drove home recently.

Doesn't matter, workshop will be warm and dry.

This was the workshop a week ago.  Stuff everywhere.  You can play "where's Wally" and pick out some familiar objects in the picture if you look hard enough.  Actually most of the boxes and crap are all gone now. Half the space is cleared in readiness for the aforementioned workspace build.

So yeah, maybe your attention is wandering from BYOAC lately.  Not much going on?  Thinking of taking up macramé or origami or doing some needlepoint?  What a spectacular mistake that would be.  Ummabout turn this sucka up to ELEVEN!! So stay tuned.

p.s. each and every day I flip my letter box open with a kind of trembling excitement, hoping to find a package there post marked from Milwaukee USA.  ???

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2019, 12:31:50 pm »
Nothing like real life getting the way of a project! :angry: I look forward to more progress
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2019, 08:17:16 pm »
Nothing like real life getting the way of a project! :angry: I look forward to more progress

Just temporary setbacks my friend.   :cheers:

For reference, here is the design again.

Get used to seeing this odd shape over the next few updates.  I want to bring this right up to completion before moving on to the base of the cab.

Its mainly refining and strengthening this component with fiberglass.  That means plenty of sanding, filling, sanding and so on until I get rid of all the little imperfections.  With each coat of primer and some bondo work the shape becomes smoother and cleaner.  The center section with the ugly bolts sticking out of it is not going to be visible on the finished cab.  A covering component (of a similar shape) is going over it.  I'll construct that in the next few days.

The design has speakers of a matched color fitted to the top hemisphere.  The pair I've chosen are mid-range priced.  I've read good reviews of these from car audio folks so they should sound quite nice.    Arcade games don't need anything special in the way of speakers but the cab has a jukebox mode as well.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2019, 12:54:52 am »
Ooh, those speakers are going to look great in it if the color match works out.

Glad to see you back!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2019, 07:56:16 am »
He’s back!  Great to see a post on one of your project threads OND.  Keep it comin!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 03:08:33 pm
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2019, 09:09:53 am »
Noice! Just saw that you added some photos to the pictures thread and had to hurry over here to see what was happening! ;D

fsflaquer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 05:00:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2019, 11:56:57 am »
Rotoron is back!!!

This project is my favorite, and it really blew my mind and raised the bar to unreachable heights...

It is inspiration for my third project (actually struggling to finish my first... 🤷🏻‍♂️)... dream big, they say...

Keep up the excellent work!!

Kingcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 04:33:12 pm
  • Building a steampunk arcade cabinet
« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2019, 01:15:01 pm »
Love this design. I’m a big fan of retrofuturism as well, and this is a really innovative design.
KINGCADE - my Steampunk Wild West penny arcade-style cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161105.msg1697383.html#msg1697383

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2019, 05:41:27 am »
Thanks fellas, it's nice to join the builders here again. I have a strong image in my mind of this component sitting all shiny and complete - keeps me moving forward.  It felt like steps backwards today as I had to grind away some material around the edges of the sphere and then apply fiberglass patching to strengthen areas with hairline cracks. I don't wanna post the pics.  The repair looks uglyass rough right now.  I'll work at it again tomorrow when the fiberglass has set.  The important thing is just to keep going.  Here's something to look at while we wait.

When the cab was in its initial design it had more of an automobile aesthetic - think red and chrome corvette.  There is a key which switches the cab on (at the rear under the sphere).  Originally this was just going to be a fairly ordinary metal key in a barrel lock.  Now that the color scheme and aesthetic is different  :P I want to rethink the key.  Maybe make it a bit more retro-future. Here is a sneak peek at what I came up with.  Materials for this design will be covered in future posts.

Key and Key Case.  The key is not large, about the size of a car key.

There will be some simple electronics in the key.  I'll be challenged to work in a very miniature way, fabricating small fiddly parts, struggling with soldering tiny components, sweating over making them all fit.....AND.......loving it!

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2019, 10:59:42 am »
It's all these little things you choose to do that nobody would ever think of that make this so compelling to watch.  :cheers:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2019, 11:42:22 am »
I love that not only are you making a key but also a custom case to hold it.   :cheers:

When the cab was in its initial design it had more of an automobile aesthetic - think red and chrome corvette. 

I've been wanting to build a racing cabinet with that design for a while.  Torch red with chrome.  Just can't come up with a design I like.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2019, 03:08:38 am »
It's all these little things you choose to do that nobody would ever think of that make this so compelling to watch.  :cheers:

I'm glad you enjoy the extra stuff Jimbo.  This cabinet has a number of peripheral 'extra' features.  Things like the comic book which covers the RoToron backstory, the official project cap and some other novelty items.  These things keep me interested and are a happy diversion now and then from the less fun rebuild/repair.  I do make myself attack the difficult stuff though.

I love that not only are you making a key but also a custom case to hold it.   :cheers:

When the cab was in its initial design it had more of an automobile aesthetic - think red and chrome corvette. 

I've been wanting to build a racing cabinet with that design for a while.  Torch red with chrome.  Just can't come up with a design I like.

One thing leads to another when I'm in daydream design mode. Working on little fiddly things is my therapy  :D.

A slick curvy racing cab is way way at the back of my design ideas (may never happen)  If you have some overall ideas, sketches, doodles whatever, send them my way.  I can have a go at a design you may like.

I finally cut back the repair job I did to the top hemisphere.  Its more like boat building than arcade cabinet construction but wuteva!

Fugly ain't it?

It's good to post up the hard work.  When we get to the sexy stuff you'll all have made the journey with me.

For fun I made a start on the key & custom case.

I chose some nice rosewood for the case.  The case will be cut from this single piece.

First angle cut the corners ready for rounding.

Round off the corners and sand smooth.  Oh, look a wooden block of soap!  :lol

Cut the piece in half ready to route out the inside of case bottom and lid.

Here's some bits and pieces.  Black acrylic sheet for forming parts from, small switch, and an aluminum rod.

Drill out a length of the aluminum rod to take wiring.

File and smooth three faces into the rod to form a triangular section.

Drill a hole in each face which will be enlarged.  This will allow the insertion of a LED into the rod.

Here's the rod ready for wiring and LED.

Wired, ready to go.

Tiny headless screws and Aryldite hold the three acrylic 'fins' to the rod.  It's in the vise waiting for glue to dry.

Here is the unit with the LED switched on.  A small button battery and resistor will be used in the finished key.

My idea is to use this key for not only powering on RoToron but a few additional functions as well.  Within the one lock, depending upon the position of the key it can also open the cabinet back hatch, coin door etc.  Each unlock action requires a button press on the key and LED to light.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2019, 11:50:02 am »
This is really really really cool.  Very creative and excellent craftsmanship as always. 

What happens if the LED dies and needs to be replaced?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2019, 12:44:27 pm »
This is really really really cool.  Very creative and excellent craftsmanship as always. 

He builds a new cabinet. Duh.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2019, 03:04:35 pm »

He builds a new cabinet. Duh.

The LED can be removed but it does mean replacing the acrylic fin parts.  The LED should last a long time given the intended use.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2019, 07:09:18 pm »
Starting to work on the interior of the hemisphere today.  I've decided to line it with polystyrene.  Also getting a cutting template setup for the curved back section add-on for the hemisphere.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: October 29, 2019, 04:39:46 am »
Sometimes I think "should I post this latest thing I've been working on?"  When I go off on some tangent that interests me should it be shared? Yeah why not. You're not here to look at the standard BYOAC stuff, you are here to see what I've been up to.  Therefore....

Not happy with the acrylic parts of the key.  Reworked, looks better.  Never be afraid to re-work, re-think until you are happy.

The key case after a few coats of clear coat fitted together with hinges and clasp.

Routing out the interior of the case required some serious thought to get a clean symmetrical cut.

The 'handle' part of the key is coming together.  The parts are just coated in primer at this stage.  Paint application is next.  I also have to fabricate the key's button with embossed letter 'R' in it.

I am working on the hemisphere as well. Filling pits and gaps after the fiberglass work I did recently.  I'll post pics of that when I'm up to the final primer stage.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:08:24 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #261 on: October 29, 2019, 04:43:43 am »
Looking good. I like that box.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #262 on: October 29, 2019, 04:56:43 am »
Looking good. I like that box.

Thanks Mike, I handed that key case to my daughters to see if they could work the clasp.  It passed the test ok.  When I showed the work in progress key to my youngest daughter (aged 19) she said "dad you are SO extra, that looks like something from the Fifth Element". 

I was chuffed at that comment/reaction.   :cheers:

UnclearHermit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 02:08:17 pm
  • Finally started building 2019,est. completion 2036
« Reply #263 on: October 30, 2019, 01:04:20 pm »
Honestly, stunning.  Incredible craftsmanship and attention to detail.  :applaud:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #264 on: October 30, 2019, 01:23:13 pm »
Bitchin OND, truly creative.  I assume we’re talking one of those flat battery’s inside the key?  The box turned out beautiful.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2019, 05:49:20 pm »
Some really mind-blowing stuff going on here. Some people take it to the next level, and then there is this.

csephiroth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 12:41:58 pm
  • That which lies ahead....does not yet exist.
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2020, 09:50:00 am »
Hope this didn't die again. Some truly great craftsmanship here.

ditchdoc68

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2023, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2020, 10:32:56 am »
Hope this didn't die again. Some truly great craftsmanship here.
I found this thread a couple a days ago and was just blown away. Hope all is well and he's able to finish.
You can never truly begin to live until you are ready to die.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2021, 02:03:47 pm »
OND - a year in lockdown... you finished this, right?  Any updates?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2021, 08:21:40 pm »
OND - a year in lockdown... you finished this, right?  Any updates?

No, and yes.   ;)

It's been so long that I've opened this project thread that I had to search for it.  Lucky for me search now works...

The never ending story  :embarassed:  Anyway, I'm going to spend some time on this over the next few weeks.   I enjoyed unpacking these bits and pieces to see what's needed.  A bit of a clean up and some repairs and I'm rolling again.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:08:24 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2021, 08:38:12 pm »
Hey. Nice shirt.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2021, 11:01:46 pm »
Hey. Nice shirt.

Thanks. It's got good vibes.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:12:05 pm
« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2021, 12:31:28 am »
Great to see that you're still working on this beauty!  I'm fairly certain I started my skeeball build around the same time as you started the first iteration of your cab, 12 years later and we are both still plugging away haha!  Is there a record for longest BYOAC build time?

Let's see some updates!!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #273 on: March 12, 2021, 01:48:19 am »
When I first stumbled onto this hobby and byoac a while back THIS was the build that most blew my mind, and made me think "why NOT use some fiberglass?!"

Stoked to see you back on the forum, and back on this project!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #274 on: March 12, 2021, 09:47:26 am »
Welcome back OND! Im anxious to see this project finished.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #275 on: March 12, 2021, 12:00:13 pm »
Ond returns, and an update.  This is a glorious day.  Welcome back!   :applaud:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #276 on: March 12, 2021, 09:53:00 pm »
Great to see that you're still working on this beauty!  I'm fairly certain I started my skeeball build around the same time as you started the first iteration of your cab, 12 years later and we are both still plugging away haha!  Is there a record for longest BYOAC build time?

Let's see some updates!!

Dude, you are part of my BYOAC nostalgia!  Make ya feel old? Hah hah.  Longest build time record?  I'm sure there are many builds that pre-date ours that are simply not finished yet.  Completed builds over 12 years...dunno.

Thanks bro's for the welcome back.   :cheers:  I think it was a wise Malenko who said words to the effect of "Do your hobby when you enjoy it"  Right now - really enjoying it. While I get rolling again I will post regular posts with lots of pics (cos that's how we like it).  These next are almost in real time as I work on the cab. 

After the display, the control panel is the real focus of every arcade machine, the shiny, colorful controls and artwork.  It will be my starting point.  This must be the 3rd or 4th Control Panel version I've made for this cab.  The others didn't cut it for various reasons. 

Off the dusty shelf and on the bench:

Spiderwebs and eeuuch

I need to mask off areas of this for black paint.  This special airbrushers' tape is the ducks nutz when you need to do fine work.  It can be shaped into the tightest curves.  There is the finest thin resin border around these acrylic inserts.  I take the tape just to the edge of that.  When painted, the edges should be really crisp and neat.

I like to work with this magnifier because my eyes aren't quite what they were when I was young and I can be accurate with tape placement.

Next I'll draw on the overlay border with fine permanent marker and tape out that edge...

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 09:56:10 pm by Ond »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #277 on: March 12, 2021, 10:06:50 pm »
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:37:19 pm by jennifer »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:05:41 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2021, 07:19:49 pm »
Wow, glad to see you back at it!  :applaud:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2021, 09:19:46 pm »
Wow, glad to see you back at it!  :applaud:

You were there in the early days of the original build and helped me develop my initial designs for this cabinet  :cheers:

careful masking continues on the control panel:

next spray painting white for the artwork border, the design when finished should look similar to this: