Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RoToron ロトロン  (Read 82813 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
Re: RoToron ロトロン
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2019, 03:03:00 am »
Yes, we can't have this project slipping like that.  I intend to hog page 1 with several projects this year, but especially this one....

I think I have to get the CP done.  Right up to shiny completion.  Ugh, I don't enjoy refurbishing and restoring.  Better that than cutting yet another CP for this project though.  That is way more work.

The CP now has a tough covering of fiberglass on the upright surface.  The next step is to clean it up ready for primer.

I was going to use the old holes to flush trim cut new ones, but they are ragged with fibreglass drips.  I'll fill them instead and cut clean new ones.  Trust me, it's the better option.  Here is the CP getting it's first coat of primer.  There are many spikey bits of MDF here and there.  That will all go away as we will see soon.

Here is my template for cutting the fresh control holes.  The large hole where the joystick should go is for fitting a PVC insert into the panel.  I'll keep this template for other projects - handy!

When this coat dries, I'll spray the top side, then sand and repeat several times.  With each new coat, I'll also repair minor pits and holes with Bondo before the next spray coat.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2019, 12:59:12 am »
Like the template idea.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2019, 02:00:47 am »
Like the template idea.

I use them a lot.  Cut precision holes in thin material to flush trim cut perfect cutouts in thick material.

Here's the CP after doing just that.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2019, 07:38:05 am »
Like the template idea.

I use them a lot.  Cut precision holes in thin material to flush trim cut perfect cutouts in thick material.

What’s your preferred device for cutting precision holes like that?  Look better than my Forstner can achieve on a drill press but maybe I’m just being picky?

Looking good as always.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2019, 06:32:05 pm »
Like the template idea.

What’s your preferred device for cutting precision holes like that?  Look better than my Forstner can achieve on a drill press but maybe I’m just being picky?

Looking good as always.

I do use a slightly modified Forstner spade bit.  I've just cut it short so it's less prone to wobble.  The other thing I always do is clamp the work in the press to keep the cuts as clean as possible.
For anything larger, I use a hole saw in the drill press (again clamping the work).

You might wonder why I don't just drill the CP with the Forstner bit. I've found using the template with a router, the cuts are always cleaner and sharper.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:43:23 am by Ond »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2019, 06:35:32 pm »
I'll add - Bormax makes the best I've ever used.. perfectly clean hole - doesn't shred like the paddle bits

bormax-forstner-style-bit
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2019, 07:02:07 pm »
You might wonder why I don't just drill the CP with the Forstner bit. I've found using the template with a router, the cuts are always cleaner and sharper.

Nothing cuts as clean as a router!  Cheers thanks :cheers:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2019, 08:41:24 pm »

Lasers... Water jets...
%Bartop

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2019, 08:43:43 pm »

Lasers... Water jets...

Stickler.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2019, 11:47:52 pm »
Isn't that a spade bit, pictured?  I think of Forstners as being flat discs with a helical set of ramps.

(If you can make a hole that clean with a spade, even shortened up, you're a better man than I...  but I already suspected that.   :D)

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2019, 04:41:16 am »
That's a spade bit...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:14:55 am by Richie_jones »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2019, 05:11:46 am »
Isn't that a spade bit, pictured?  I think of Forstners as being flat discs with a helical set of ramps.

(If you can make a hole that clean with a spade, even shortened up, you're a better man than I...  but I already suspected that.   :D)

You know what?  I've been calling spade bits Forstner bits like......forever.  Thanks for clearing that up.   ;D

That's a spade bit and there shite!!!

:lol

Well, they work just fine for me....as you can see.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2019, 07:00:21 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:35:01 pm by jennifer »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2019, 07:22:51 pm »
I have never seen anyone chop a bit like that, It certainly is interesting and most likely would  be the kittens meow under the right circumstances....However that still doesn't address tearout on the backside, while true a backer block will minimize that (and obviously worked well on this project), it could be considered a bit less than awesome on more complex pieces. Especially if it was to be multiple panels (incorporating and/or steel) that all needed to be lined up with on another....Personally Jennifer usually drills it out close, and finishes off on a bobbin/spindle sander, which addresses both tear out and alignment.....Looking good Ond, nice to see this machine getting done. ;D

The bit was just used to cut a template not the CP itself.  You are right about the backer block; I get clean cuts every time using that.

Getting close to the fun stuff with the control panel.  It's just about ready to take paint.  Any little defects left over from fibre glassing and clean up are all gone.  We've gone from this:

To this:

Also getting these JLW Joystick plates ready (painted with primer) for painting black after drilling some holes for A LED mod I'm doing.  The mod will light my plastic inserts on the CP.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2019, 03:19:06 am »
First paint goes onto the CP.  I now have good control over my spray guns with some experience behind me.  I've learnt to get paint to solvent ratios and adjustments on the gun to the point where I get the finest misted spray possible.  I wouldn't go back to rattle cans now that I have the knack.

Applying necessary reinforcement to the back of the top sphere with fiberglass.  Under severe temperature changes hairline cracks develop in the joins between these tube sections.  Not after this treatment they won't.  Those faint lines you can see on the tubes are not cracks, just pencil lines I drew to assist fiberglass positioning.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2019, 06:31:42 am »
Second pass at wet sanding both the CP and kickplate.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2019, 10:43:32 am »
Cool I hadn't noticed you're using a spray gun now.  I recently got one but barely have any experience with it yet.  I was spraying water in the driveway just trying to learn all the knobs...lol.  So when you say "solvent" are you using oil based?  Cause with water based I would just thin with water right?  I did read about someone using windshield wiper fluid as thinner.  That was the one thing that disappointed me.  I bought the more expensive turbine sprayer because I thought it was supposed to be able to spray without thinning cause I really didn't want to worry about whether I thinned the same ratio every time I paint and then dump leftover back into the can.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2019, 06:09:36 pm »
Cool I hadn't noticed you're using a spray gun now.  I recently got one but barely have any experience with it yet.  I was spraying water in the driveway just trying to learn all the knobs...lol.  So when you say "solvent" are you using oil based?  Cause with water based I would just thin with water right?  I did read about someone using windshield wiper fluid as thinner.  That was the one thing that disappointed me.  I bought the more expensive turbine sprayer because I thought it was supposed to be able to spray without thinning cause I really didn't want to worry about whether I thinned the same ratio every time I paint and then dump leftover back into the can.

My spray guns are my newest favourite things, this little one is really nice:

It has a separate pressure adjustment knob at the bottom of the grip.  I tweak that and the regulator on my compressor for an optimal spray pressure.  I use auto spray products (acrylic lacquer) and solvents for the quality and drying/curing times.  It takes longer to set up and clean up than grabbing a rattle can but I still wouldn’t go back to using them.  I'm almost confident enough to do a video on using them.  :-\.  I pre-mix the paint and solvent in a bowl before pouring it into the gun.  It's really primitive and probably unprofessional  :lol.  But I'm really happy with results.  I found the thinner the mix the easier it was to spray a fine even wet coat.  Low gentle pressure is a must with thin paint or it will run.  I'm not precise with the solvent to paint ratio, just what looks right.  I pour the unused stuff back into the can of paint.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2019, 07:25:31 pm »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:35:44 pm by jennifer »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2019, 03:19:44 pm »
I tried for so long to get the hang of spray guns.. and after hours of wet sanding orange peel...  I went to roll/tip..
But its nice to dream :)
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2019, 09:44:51 pm »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:35:58 pm by jennifer »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2019, 04:50:37 pm »
Sounds like your paint wasn't thinned enough, or using a cheap gun with too big of a tip ,...Give it another try, its really not that hard to get a nice finish.

Or better paint, or you need a beefier sprayer...  Jen is right.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2019, 07:29:26 pm »
Thanks for the info - I had a very nice 4 stage Turbinair sprayer at the time..  (note:  I worked at Woodcraft for a number of years and we had a very good employee discount)
Getting the thinning and nozzle and points all adjusted right..  never got the feel for it and didn't have anyone to show me.
I sold it on Craigslist a while back.

I have a gravity fed gun I've used a few time with a little bit of success..  For all the skills that I do have.. spraying isn't one of them.
I may try again someday :P

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2019, 09:59:54 am »
I agree. Spraying paint is part science, part art form. I've never been particularly good at it either. You have to have the right tip, right flow of paint, right air pressure, and even the right mix of paint/reducer/catalyst depending on the temperature and humidity. I give much props to those folks who have the knack for it.  :notworthy:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2019, 11:57:16 am »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:36:29 pm by jennifer »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2019, 01:11:36 pm »
What ripped my heart out was spraying varnish on my boat - then ending up with orange peel and then hours of wet sanding to fix up the error.. 
But I start big with almost everything  :)

I'll try try again with my gravity fed HVLP gun next (smaller) project  :P

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2019, 07:18:19 pm »
The surface of this is by no means done but I thought it warranted a quick pic as I continue to work on it.  Artwork is going onto this CP covering a fair percentage around the plastic inserts and controls, so I think I'm going to focus on artwork for this cabinet over the next few days.  Getting the CP right up to completion will be an important psychological boost for me for this project.  It looks nice after a first run polish.

The artwork has some content tied to the fictitious background of this cabinet which is revealed in the comic.  I'll work on the comic cover at the same time - should be fun!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2019, 07:30:36 pm »
Looks like a machine made it to me! 
Great finish  :applaud:

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:42 am
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2019, 07:43:59 pm »
Love it, that is a ridiculously gorgeous paintjob on the control panel!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2019, 11:19:44 pm »
As always  :notworthy:

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2019, 03:46:34 am »
Wow.

That is a thing of beauty. 

Your level of craftsmanship transcends what I can currently achieve to such a degree that it seems indistinguishable from magic. 

Thanks for sharing your work with us!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2019, 10:31:31 am »
Incredible craftsmanship.   :notworthy:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2019, 11:46:16 pm »
Well I'd call it done...awesome!!!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2019, 12:40:47 am »
Thanks my friends, I can't tell you just how encouraging it is to have you guys appreciate my hard work. It makes me feel part of something bigger than my solitary endeavors, thanks for taking the journey with me.  Every part of this cab that I claw back from previous failure is a mini victory for me.  I know the CP looks nice but artwork will complete it.  There's a bit too much yellow without it  :).  I'm simultaneously working on the CP artwork as I work on the comic book cover.  I'll post the CP with artwork concept in the next few days.  Right now, here's a sneak peak at the beginnings of the comic book cover artwork.  There are some elements of the comic cover that will appear on the CP.  Not the image below mind you, but some symbols etc.  I'm hand drawing the line art and then digitising it, to be worked on in Photoshop with color layers.  The comic, as I have said before is part of the lore of this machine.  Issue #1 is titled "Johnny Buetti and the secret of the RoToron"..  There may never be a second issue but the story is open ended. We'll see.   :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2019, 09:54:44 am »
Don't be discouraged by your lack of drawing talent.

Not many people have the innate artistic abilities that I possess. I am still pissed the Javeryh didn't use this for his side art.

Seriously though that is very nice work. Putting pen to paper like that is part talent, part skill, and part practice.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:23:10 pm
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2019, 11:47:59 am »
Don't be discouraged by your lack of drawing talent.

Not many people have the innate artistic abilities that I possess. I am still pissed the Javeryh didn't use this for his side art.

It is posts like this that make me wish this board had a "like" or "haha" button like FB. Funny stuff.   :laugh2:

Seriously, your work is very VERY good. My drawing is not quite as good as MikeA's.  :-[

J_K_M_A_N

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2019, 02:05:05 pm »

Where the bloody hell were you when I was struggling with artwork for my invaders cab. That's 100x times better than the crap I shat out.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2019, 04:40:58 am »
 :laugh2:

Good stuff Mike A, imaginary +100 Rep for you.  ;D

OK here it is.  Comic book cover for Issue #1. I changed my mind on the line art, it was too cluttered with the color work.  I still may do the actual panel work in the monochrome style though. CP art to follow.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:33:21 pm by Ond »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2019, 08:47:53 am »
Hmm. I think the hand drawing looks way better. On the cover, the shirt somewhat looks like it's made of plastic, giving Johnny the appearance of a cheap action figure.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2019, 01:54:34 pm »
I agree it could be better. I'll set it aside for now, and revisit it when I've made more progress on the cab.  :cheers: