Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RoToron ロトロン  (Read 82815 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
Re: RoToron ロトロン
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2018, 03:35:14 am »
This progress update I'm going to mainly focus on these two parts of the cab shown in yellow.

But first the ugly.

Ja that is correct, more fibre :angry: glassing.

I was all keen to put some high-build primer on the CP when I decided no, it needed more fibreglass  :banghead:.  This is mainly to cover edges I couldn't get to on the first application.  Also to make it even tougher.

And since I worked on this I'm posting it!

So in case you're wondering where this messy crap is all leading, let’s revisit the build process for the kick plate/bumper/watchmacallit that I originally took.

That kick plate. Originally I was just going to slap some diamond plate down there but the feedback on that idea wasn't too hot.  I came up with a design more in keeping with the cabinet.  It started out life as some hardwood pieces attached to some alumnium sheet.

Then came the fibreglass and shaping.

Fast forward to today.  I got to try out my new spray gun on the kick plate. 

Man...the paint goes on like a dream!

Here it is a few hours later, just touch dry.  This is the color of RoToron. This is where all the effort is heading. It matches the Sanwa ball tops and controls very closely.  Polished up to a high gloss this should look verrry nice.  :afro:

The coin plate assembly is progressing as well.  I'm nearly ready to test the vacuum moulder.  I spent time today on the cog.

Wet sanding.

Painting.

Drying off.

The complete assembly of the Cog-Rocket coin plate featuring the RoToron Core is nearing.  It’s my motivation booster.  When I test it, on first assembly, I might do a reveal video of it fired up…maybe.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:51:34 am by Ond »

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2018, 03:53:58 am »
kick plate looks epic  :applaud:

What spray system did you buy?

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2018, 08:32:06 am »
So smooth! Love it.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2018, 10:12:44 am »
Sweet kickplate, I keep seeing a loaf of french bread. :lol

Looks great, the time and planning you invest in a single component exceeds some full projects we've seen.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2018, 01:51:43 pm »
You make that look so easy.....

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2018, 09:35:27 am »
You make that look so easy.....

yeah - he does.  There is some serious artistic talent on display here.  The use of materials is awesome but it is the shaping/sanding of the final product that really makes it stand out.  Just look at the kick plate - I'm on board with the metal and the little wood strips and even laying down the fiberglass - all of that seems doable to me.  However, the shaping and sanding is WAY out of my league.  Everything is so even and with almost no straight surfaces to get it to look like it came off the assembly line is remarkable.  The paint job is just icing on the cake.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2018, 05:30:10 pm »
Digging the new color scheme.  Cog looks great so far!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2018, 09:16:13 pm »
kick plate looks epic  :applaud:

What spray system did you buy?
Thanks, the spray gun is a VMP Velocity.  I chose it because it’s well suited to small jobs and has a very fine spray with good adjustability.  There are more expensive units but this is suited to my purpose really well.  The gun is all shiny chrome so easy to clean up.

Thanks for the skills nod and compliment javeryh, your attention to detail and your own skills really impressed me when I was starting out here.
It’s probably my glossing over of all the actual hard work which makes my efforts “look easy”.  There are build areas I will provide more detail of in the future, than my finishing and painting.  This is my second go round at this project, I like to post frequently but I’m wary of filling pages and pages with tedious effort.

Digging the new color scheme.  Cog looks great so far!

Thanks, here’s a few shots of the now complete cog after finishing and polishing.

Here you can see how closely the paint matches the color of the controls.

Here's the cog next to the RoToron Core which it will be assembled onto.  The complete coin plate is the RoToron equivalent of arcade artwork.  Printed artwork is very minimalistic on this cab (as it should be) so the decorative/attract mode coin plate is eye candy with some novelty as well.

I'm back in the workshop this afternoon working on the vacuum press and mould form, more updates when that's ready to test.   :cheers:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2018, 12:49:58 am »
Loving the details on the core!
%Bartop

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2018, 03:53:10 am »

Here you can see how closely the paint matches the color of the controls.

That's great! I kinda hate it that my t-molding does not really match my controls that well...

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2018, 05:25:02 am »
Loving the details on the core!

Thanks Neph, that decal/plastic badge was fun to make.  Its laser printed acetate (printed in reverse on the back) and then spray painted on the rear side for coloured lettering.  I used steel eyelets to fix it onto the plastic shell as shown.

The plastic band reads "ROTORON CORE 10035 DO NOT DISASSEMBLE OUTSIDE CONTAINMENT".  The Core shell won't be visible once installed into the cab unless you open the rear hatch.  The Core has 'mythology' attached to it but you'll have to read the comic to find out what that is.  Which reminds me, I need to work on the comic layout some more.   

That's great! I kinda hate it that my t-molding does not really match my controls that well...

I've had that problem on other projects, I was determined to get the color matching right on this one.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 05:57:41 am by Ond »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2018, 08:42:35 am »
Very nice work  :applaud:   
I've never need able to get spray guns to work right for me..  Its a true talent.

A 6" finish is great!

Very nice
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2018, 10:20:13 pm »
Very nice work  :applaud:   
I've never need able to get spray guns to work right for me..  Its a true talent.

A 6" finish is great!

Very nice

:cheers:

I've finished up the frame for the vacuum press and the form for moulding around.  Hopefully I'll get time to test this tomorrow.  The acrylic sheet in the frame you can see has the protective paper covering on it still.  It's held in place by some angle aluminium and clips.  This frame goes in the oven, when the arcylic is hot enough it goes onto the press.

Here's the form shaped from plaster.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2018, 11:22:15 pm »
Nice!  I'm excited to see how this comes out.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2018, 06:00:22 am »
After some minor adjustments to the vacuum press, I tried it out today.  I set our kitchen oven to just over 100 degrees Celsius (212 Fahrenheit) and then got organized so that I could quickly place the frame onto the press hot out of the oven.  Here's the frame with acrylic sheet ready to go into the oven.

The frame on the vacuum press after running the vacuum.

Phew!  I'm glad this is done.  It was an interesting process but kind of stressful.

The dome cut free and sized to fit.

Test fitted to the Core.

I should have the last few little parts of the assembly completed by the start of next week.  When it's all together I'll post a video of the completed coin plate in action including the Core boot-up sequence.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2018, 06:20:31 am »
Are you worried about outgassing with the acrylic in your kitchen oven? That stuff can be toxic. The place and appliance where you prepare food might not be the best place for that. A one off project is probably no big deal, but you probably should find another way to heat up plastic if it becomes a regular practice.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2018, 06:27:35 am »
Are you worried about outgassing with the acrylic in your kitchen oven? That stuff can be toxic. The place and appliance where you prepare food might not be the best place for that. A one off project is probably no big deal, but you probably should find another way to heat up plastic if it becomes a regular practice.

Not worried at all Mike,  opened the windows turned on the exhaust fan it was over in seconds.  I'll be doing some more moulding right at the end of the project.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2018, 06:32:02 am »
Do you take any videos Ond.  Would be good to see this vacuum process

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2018, 04:07:39 pm »
I've done tons of vacuum work with wood - none with plastic/acrylic...
Now I need to come up with something so I can do it...
well done
 :applaud:
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2018, 04:36:34 pm »
That vacuum form set up is wild.  I'm actually curious how you cut out the perfect circle once the piece was formed. 

Also, kind of a random question but how durable is your paint finish once you are complete?  I assume the polish hardens somewhat to protect it a little bit.  Is it highly susceptible to scratches or is it just like anything else with a high polish finish (like a car, for example)?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2018, 06:21:28 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:32:15 pm by jennifer »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2018, 06:29:43 pm »
I was sheepishly lost when you said you where building a vacuum. I had no idea what was going on. lol. I didn't really read it thoroughly enough. But now I see what you did and that my friend is freakin cool. Great job Ond. You are on another level. Well done.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2018, 03:52:13 am »
I don't understand in the vacuum how you get a seal on the bottom plate as the acrylic would only be touching the centre of the dome.  Do you press down and then switch the air on.?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2018, 03:36:57 am »
Do you take any videos Ond.  Would be good to see this vacuum process

I will Richie, the next time I use the press.  That will be in a while though.  To answer your question, the process goes something like this:

1. The frame goes into the oven and I watch for the acrylic to sag a little, maybe half an inch or so.  This means it's hot enough to mould.
2. I turn the vacuum unit on before I take the frame out of the oven so its sucking air down through the top plate.
3. I remove the frame and quickly place it onto the press.
4. The acrylic sheet is soft so it pulls down over the dome mould and the aluminium frame makes contact with the rubber stripping on the press forming a seal.
4. The sheet is sucked down flat onto the press and over the mould shape.  Seconds later you can lift the frame up as shown in my post pic.

I was sheepishly lost when you said you where building a vacuum. I had no idea what was going on. lol. I didn't really read it thoroughly enough. But now I see what you did and that my friend is freakin cool. Great job Ond. You are on another level. Well done.

That's Ok Ian, I do the same in other peoples threads too.  I'm relieved it worked.

@ Mike & jennifer,  I like getting the sort of questions you're suggesting jenn.  I spend so much time thinking about HOW to get the results I want, it's nice to discuss strategies with members.  That said Mike has a point.  It's not the vacuum forming fumes I worry about.  However, when I'm cutting or shaping acrylic in the workshop I need to use my respirator mask, the fumes coming off the plastic are bad and I have no exhaust fan out there.

That vacuum form set up is wild.  I'm actually curious how you cut out the perfect circle once the piece was formed. 

Also, kind of a random question but how durable is your paint finish once you are complete?  I assume the polish hardens somewhat to protect it a little bit.  Is it highly susceptible to scratches or is it just like anything else with a high polish finish (like a car, for example)?

You ask all the good questions dude  ;D. I hand cut the dome firstly along the mould line and then by eye to fit.  Automotive acrylic lacquers cure to a hard shell as you mentioned like on a car finish.  Car finishes are baked (and clear coated) which makes them really tough.  This finish is durable but it will get scratched.  I'm OK with some light wear and tear scratching in the future...

I've done tons of vacuum work with wood - none with plastic/acrylic...
Now I need to come up with something so I can do it...
well done
 :applaud:

Customised acrylic marquee covers.  The mighty Pixelhugger did both acrylic moulding AND wood forming using a vacuum press on his Mission Control project.

If you’ve been following along since inception we are at a milestone!  The cog rocket coin plate is all but finished except for a few embellishing parts.  I spent time today wet sanding and then polishing the rocket component.  Here is the coin plate with parts loosely assembled.

I'm well pleased with the result.  It's gone from my head and into the real world, it's a chuff moment for sure.

I'll post the promised video as soon as I hook everything up in the next few days.

Check this... a serial number plate for RoToron.  The acetate will be bonded to the aluminium using crystal coat.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:01:21 am by Ond »

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2018, 04:02:48 am »
Can't see those last 4 images..

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2018, 04:52:40 am »
Can't see those last 4 images..

yeah you can.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2018, 08:04:49 am »
Incredible.  Never seen anything like it.  You gonna flash some lights for us?

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2018, 10:44:35 am »
This Is a great looking piece amazing

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2018, 02:12:34 pm »
So much work for such a little piece of the project.

You should be proud of your patience!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2018, 07:42:57 am »
Assembled, wired up and powered on the Core today.  Picture doesn't do the spinning LEDs justice, it looks much nicer live.

Still needs the struts and centering circle added.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2018, 07:57:18 am »
You're such a tease... cmon, post a video...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2018, 09:54:49 am »
Amazing work as always.  I think of myself as a pretty good builder/modder but I pale in comparison to you.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2018, 12:46:09 pm »
Can you simulate "Crackling"? Something to show that this thing is dangerously charged up?
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2018, 02:02:08 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:32:34 pm by jennifer »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2018, 02:16:06 pm »
It looks nothing like a flux capacitor. Must be that welder's eye.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2018, 02:29:56 pm »
OMG...That thing looks like a flux capacitor. ???

huh?  It looks like the HAL 9000...

...nothing like a flux capacitor:

Get your nerd references right for crying out loud.  :hissy:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2018, 03:05:43 pm »
You're such a tease... cmon, post a video...

Heh, not intentionally teasing.  I get stuff done in the workshop and have something to show.  I promised a video and there will be one.

Amazing work as always.  I think of myself as a pretty good builder/modder but I pale in comparison to you.

Thanks Malenko, I'm good at building bits and pieces but I rely on guys like you for all that real arcade knowledge and experience.

Can you simulate "Crackling"? Something to show that this thing is dangerously charged up?

You're on to it Ian and yes I can.  I think you’ll enjoy the video.

:lol  @ Jenn, Mike A opt2not.... HAL's eye for sure.  It has elements of the flux capacitor in it but they are not visible yet.

I spent hours assembling and then making a wiring harness for this last night.  I HAD to take at least one picture of the damned thing.  Anyway it’s still a little unfinished. Jenn's 'flux capacitor' piece has yet to be added.  Give me a few days to finish the last bit and shoot the video.  Then I'll be setting this aside and getting stuck into the CP and top shell.   :cheers:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2018, 03:57:11 pm »
Came out spot on mate.  Looks really beautiful.  The color schemes flow nicely into each other.  I can't wait to see it all fired up!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2018, 05:46:28 pm »
Came out spot on mate.  Looks really beautiful.  The color schemes flow nicely into each other.  I can't wait to see it all fired up!

Thanks, I'm glad you like the color scheme, I think the yellow with red here and there (and black) should look pretty good when it's all done.

Of the new build so far I'm most proud of this little fella.  It took all the skill I could muster.  Hand forged LED chasing Flux Capacitor module for the Core.

It started out life as a printed design stuck onto some metal sheet and went from there.  This little piece also serves to hide wiring in the core you can see in previous pics.

The boards you can see in the background are for the Arduino controller for the boot sequence (which includes Core start-up routine - LEDS, sounds, motor etc).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:48:01 pm by Ond »

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2018, 01:19:33 am »
Oooo, nice!  Is it all metal or metal wrapped on something else?  Is that like 3 LEDS on each arm?  Whats the relay board for, the motors?