Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RoToron ロトロン  (Read 82811 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
Re: RoToron ロトロン
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 09:45:34 pm »
I mentioned a comic book that will go with the completion of the project.  This will be available through the forum to members as a memento in hard copy.  Here's an example of my graphic style.  This is a discontinued comic book idea I had, the style however will be the same.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 09:46:59 pm »
that's an accurate depiction of both you and a can of WD-40
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2018, 10:12:55 pm »
I was wondering how you’re doing with the comic. Nice! Looking forward to seeing more of it.  :cheers:

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2018, 05:10:18 am »
Great to see how you can leverage your talents in multiple directions. I like the style!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2018, 11:40:21 pm »
When I was a kid, I had a game for my c64 called super bunny. The game came with a comic as its instruction manual and for that reason I though it was about the coolest concept because I really cared about the game on a deeper level. I know your craftsmanship, but it sounds like you are really building more than a cabinet now. It feels like a full emotional experience. I get the reason for the name RoToron, and things like the comic and the care on the boot screen. I just have to say how impressive I find the multi-dimensional aspect of your theming.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2018, 01:29:02 am »
that's an accurate depiction of both you and a can of WD-40

Thanks, it was fun to draw!

I was wondering how you’re doing with the comic. Nice! Looking forward to seeing more of it.  :cheers:

Thanks, I know you approve of good old fashioned drawing by hand.  I start off with pencil drawings, scan them and then digitally paint into the comic format.

Great to see how you can leverage your talents in multiple directions. I like the style!

Thanks, I have to switch between creative efforts regularly or I get bored, having multiple directions to go in keeps the whole thing rolling.

When I was a kid, I had a game for my c64 called super bunny. The game came with a comic as its instruction manual and for that reason I though it was about the coolest concept because I really cared about the game on a deeper level. I know your craftsmanship, but it sounds like you are really building more than a cabinet now. It feels like a full emotional experience. I get the reason for the name RoToron, and things like the comic and the care on the boot screen. I just have to say how impressive I find the multi-dimensional aspect of your theming.

Thanks mate, I’m glad you get it, a full emotional experience is exactly what I'm aiming for.  I think as the project moves forward more people will understand what I'm hoping to achieve.  I guess I'm creating a kind of mythology around a personal design.  Real arcade cabinets already have all that history and nostalgia attached to them.  The comic will be a sci-fi adventure in which RoToron features.  I like the idea of a separate instructional brochure in that 50’s style, that would be fun to do too!

Today it was more fibre glassing.  I'm applying the heavier mat sheeting to the shell now.  The process is basically applying sheet and resin, allowing to harden, cut back and repeat until sufficient thickness is built up. It's tedious and not very exciting to look at but there is value in sharing the process.  It will all be pretty to look at soon enough.

An orrible mess init?  :P

I also spent time today working on the graphics for the promotional advertising for RoToron.  I could have approached this digitally in Photoshop but I chose to paint by hand using oils after looking at the style of homeware advertising from the 50's in America.  Once the oil painting is complete (it's still very rough right now) I will scan it into Photoshop and do final touch-ups before using in the flyer, probably using Illustrator. Some very observant amoung you may notice I've borrowed a little from Fallout 4 in the kitchen in the background.  I love that game and its Retro-Future look. Can you see what I'm going for?  A slightly cheesy depiction of one very excited kid with his new RoToron toy and Mom in the background looking on proudly.
I haven't painted anything in a long time, sitting out on the back deck in the sunshine working at this is a great way to relax!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:34:43 am by Ond »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
Very cool.  You are clearly an artist at heart - hopefully you aren't stuck at a boring desk job like I am (LOL) and get to actually put your talents to use on a daily basis. 

The fiberglass process is really neat.  So this won't crack over time as it dries out?  How do you shape it?  Just sanding or do you need to grind it down?  Is the final surface paintable like MDF or anything else?  How difficult is this material to work with?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »
You should call it RoTorond !

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2018, 03:22:28 pm »
Very cool.  You are clearly an artist at heart - hopefully you aren't stuck at a boring desk job like I am (LOL) and get to actually put your talents to use on a daily basis. 

The fiberglass process is really neat.  So this won't crack over time as it dries out?  How do you shape it?  Just sanding or do you need to grind it down?  Is the final surface paintable like MDF or anything else?  How difficult is this material to work with?

Thanks, art is just my hobby.  I'm no longer stuck behind a desk, but the money I earn these days is just pocket money  :lol.  To be honest javeryh fiberglassing is one giant pain in the ass!  It doesn't crack or shrink, it doesn't really dry out, it just sets hard.  It's very tough to sand or shape.  You need to have some good gear to work it including safety equipment.  If you think MDF is bad this stuff is way worse.  The tiny fibres itch your skin and get into everything.  The good side is that the final surface takes paint better than MDF.  It's more like automotive restoration or boat building than DIY Arcade cabinet building but I just keep my eyes on the end goal.

You should call it RoTorond !

Someone way back suggested I just call the original incarnation of this cabint "Ond".  But that's my name dude.  RoToron is the name but it's also like a brand.  Can't hurt the brand man.  Nintendond, Neo Geond, nahhhh.  :P

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 10:23:38 pm »
At the moment I'm making progress each day.  I get into my Hazmat outfit and get stuck in.

The rough surface gets cut back with the grinder to start with.

Then my orbital sander is used to level things out a bit.

The control panel is being done slightly differently.  All layers are done in one go using the woven mat.  This stuff is expensive but it's the right material for the CP.

I've pre-cut out four layers of the woven mat.  All four will be applied today's session.

First I apply a good coat of resin to the CP.  Then I lay down each mat and paint over with more resin.

Here are all 4 layers finished off and setting.

Next.... I'll switch to working on the Coin Plate MkII for a bit, this should be a bit more interesting from a technique point of view. 

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:19 pm »
Rough cut and then flush trim the button and joystick holes with a router once dried?  Or is the material too hard for a standard router bit?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2018, 11:49:10 pm »
Rough cut and then flush trim the button and joystick holes with a router once dried?  Or is the material too hard for a standard router bit?

;D That's exactly it, a sharp router bit will cut it just fine.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2018, 06:47:38 pm »
Today I'm going to be building this:

The cog from RoToron's coin plate.  It's just cabinet bling, but a nice project result is all about the little details. The design is borrowed (with permission) from Pixelhugger.  When I met him in LA he gave me one of his waterjet cut metal cogs, the type which feature on his machine Mission Control.  It's a very cool memento that I have of that visit.  I kind of reversed his avatar design around to become the cog-rocket emblem for my machines coin plate.  It's a happy reminder of my early inspirations in this hobby.

This is a reworking of the original cog I made.  I made that one using a complicated process of casting Bondo and then refining the shape.  This will be a different approach using form cut MDF. No CNC's to be used, just by hand.  The outer edges of the cog are to be slightly bevelled to 45 degrees, just to angle them off a little.

This is Onds puzzle challenge to you.  >:D  How to make this shape including the lightly bevelled outer edges by hand?  A flush trim 45-degree bevel cutting bit must be used.  The bit's bearing is too big to cut a bevel line around the cogs teeth without missing the inner corners, so how do I produce the perfect cog shape as above in MDF?

jdfriesen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2021, 04:19:07 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2018, 08:23:58 pm »
If you have a very sharp chisel, you should be able to finish the inside corners with one. Slowly pare it down, and then ride the back of the chisel along the existing router cuts to pare to the corners. The bevels along the inner circumference will be a bit more challenging, but if you flip the chisel over, and ride it along its bevel, it should be doable.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2018, 10:15:08 pm »

This is Onds puzzle challenge to you.  >:D  How to make this shape including the lightly bevelled outer edges by hand?  A flush trim 45-degree bevel cutting bit must be used.  The bit's bearing is too big to cut a bevel line around the cogs teeth without missing the inner corners, so how do I produce the perfect cog shape as above in MDF?

Build it in 16 individual pieces, route each one to what you need and then do a glue-up. You could do it in 9 pieces if you make the ring and then cut it up after, but if you're going to do a lot of work you might as well do a lot of work.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2018, 10:22:26 pm »
Use a CNC then lie about it.  >:D

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2018, 11:25:43 pm »
Wow, I can't believe you have to redo that beautiful finish!  I was misty eyed looking at it stripped down.  Nice to see you back at it.  Cheers to you and I can't wait to see your new twists this time.   :cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2018, 12:59:06 am »
Le Chuck’s solution is closest to my own thinking. 

The first thing I did was to take care of the cog teeth and the edge chamfer.  I cut a single piece of MDF to the right width and then ran it past the router.

Then I chamfered the MDF ring I’d cut out previously using a guide form and flush trim bit.

I cut up the length of MDF into the cog teeth to be slightly longer than needed.  This will allow for final  size corrections and end chamfering later.

Using my grinding wheel, I rough shaped the inner radius of each tooth to roughly match the rings outer curve.

I drilled some holes in the ring corresponding to each tooth.

I stuck the ring down onto my scale accurate plan and then glued and screwed each tooth into place.

The cog has to dry out now before the next steps.  I will fill the unwanted channel formed on the cog around the ring where the teeth join with Bondo and high build primer before final finish.

This approach allows for a cleaner sharper result than my first attempt.  The symmetry is better and the component fitting precision will also be better in the final assembly.  Aligning the components with the plan keeps everything squared and precise.  I highly recommend printing scale accurate plans onto tracing paper - works like a charm!

Wow, I can't believe you have to redo that beautiful finish!  I was misty eyed looking at it stripped down.  Nice to see you back at it.  Cheers to you and I can't wait to see your new twists this time.   :cheers:

Yes I know, how do you think I felt as I stripped it all away?  :'(  Don't worry have faith, I'm taking all I've learned about surface finishing and using it to ultimately improve the build.

Next.. I have to build a small vacuum press to heat shape the dome like acrylic parts that form the top of the Core. This will be a mini project in itself.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2018, 10:40:05 am »
Very nice!  Are you also going to slightly round the outside edges of the cogs?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2018, 10:44:32 am »
You really could use a small CNC machine for work like this. I know you have the skill to do all of this stuff manually, but it would save you tons of time.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2018, 10:53:15 am »
The funny thing is, someone like Ond could build a CNC in a heartbeat.   :lol

Ond, you have Roy Underhill in your corner of the earth? I have a feeling you would like him.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2018, 11:13:22 am »
Well yeah. I built one. That tells you how easy it is.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2018, 10:46:25 am »
It's builds like this that make me thankful for signing in.

True art from a true artist. Glad to have you around ;)

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2018, 12:11:12 am »
Very nice!  Are you also going to slightly round the outside edges of the cogs?

;D I'll answer your question by way of build progress if that's ok?

You really could use a small CNC machine for work like this. I know you have the skill to do all of this stuff manually, but it would save you tons of time.

A DIY CNC project looks like a very useful future project Mike A.  It would definitely have a place in some of my projects.  I do however really like to do stuff by hand.  I don't mind the time normally. Building stuff at the bench is really enjoyable.  I like the challenge of turning ideas into reality using just whatever tools I have.

The funny thing is, someone like Ond could build a CNC in a heartbeat.   :lol

Ond, you have Roy Underhill in your corner of the earth? I have a feeling you would like him.

You are on my wavelength buddy.  I hadn't heard of Roy before, but I checked out a few of his videos.  This very talented man builds superb items from wood using just hand tools.  Thanks for sharing that.

It's builds like this that make me thankful for signing in.

True art from a true artist. Glad to have you around ;)

That's very generous praise morton, thank you.  It's great to be back in the build zone, enjoying it AND sharing my progress.  :cheers:

One of my favourite lines from the movie Galaxy Quest is when Guy says “Can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?”  :laugh2: .  So Here I am forming a rudimentary lathe.  The best way to get a nice even curve to the outside edge of the cog’s teeth is to spin it in a lathe.  Don’t got no lathe, so I’m using a matching cut, circular MDF boss to mount to my drill press.  Three screws through the cog and into the boss should do.

Everything has to be centred perfectly for this to work, a tight fitting boss and accurately centred screw I’m using in the chuck is very important.  Spin it up (at low RPM) and gently sand the cog making sure to stay square with the outside edge.

Here’s the result after also chamfering the resulting curved edge with my router.

My process is always the same for filling gaps and surface finishing (and painting). First the Bondo.  Brilliant stuff!

While the Bondo is setting I use the lathe boss again to fit the Rocket and cog together in alignment. This lets me trace a line onto the rocket for rebating later on with my router.  The cog and rocket will both be rebated so that the cog will assemble into the rocket and sit flush where the coin plate attaches to the cab.

Once I’ve sanded the Bondo work cleanly the high build primer goes on.  With the first coat of primer it’s starting to look the business.  This is exactly what I’ll be doing with cab shell as well after fibreglassing.  I can’t wait to get up to that stage!

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, I’ll have further updates this weekend as I form some kinda rudimentary Vacuum press for shaping acrylic plastic sheet, so stay tuned for that.  :cheers:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2018, 01:50:55 am »
Can we skip to the part where you chrome that bad boy? :cheers:
%Bartop

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2018, 02:09:01 am »
Looking forward to the vaccupress!  :)

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »
Can we skip to the part where you chrome that bad boy? :cheers:

Heh, can I just skip to the bit where I'm lightly buffing the polished surface of the finished cab?  There's less chrome on this version.  :cheers:

Looking forward to the vaccupress!  :)

A mini project in itself, with enough detail for you to build your own....

So, really getting down to the small details now.  I'm a teensy bit scared of this part of the build, just a teensy bit.  I expect some trial and error with this but that's fine.  I'll just keep the mess ups quiet and pretend it all went super smooth.  Business as usual.

The finishing touch to the Core is the clear acrylic dome and strut parts.  No idea what I'm talking about?  Here's a diagram:

As you can see its formed from a number of parts which have to fit together VERY neatly.  You can find plenty of info on DIY vacuum presses on the interwebs. In essence it’s a device which allows heated plastic to be forced around a shape using a vacuum.  I'm just drawing up the build plan for that now, so I can cut wood and assemble without too much guess work.

Here's what I've come up with to build the Vacuu-press.  Its essentially a sealed box made from MDF with one panel drilled in a grid. A vacuum fitting allows connection to a domestic vacuum cleaner.  Angled aluminium on each corner allows a frame containing the oven heated acrylic sheet to sit squarely onto the unit.  The addition of some rubber stripping around the top makes for a good seal.  The acrylic sheet is held and supported in between two frames made from aluminium.

Here is the unit assembled.  The object to be moulded around sits on top of the drilled plate.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 11:35:01 pm by Ond »

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2018, 01:01:54 am »
I had some fun trying to heat up and bend some acrylic, the missus caught me with it in the oven at home..she wasn't happy!!!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2018, 04:13:49 am »
I had some fun trying to heat up and bend some acrylic, the missus caught me with it in the oven at home..she wasn't happy!!!

Good point, I'll be heating acrylic when my missus is well out of the house and away somewhere.

I managed to get the main part of the Vacuupress built by the end of today. 

Pieces cut.

Glued and screwed.

Holes drilled.

I'll pick up the aluminium, rubber strip and miscellaneous items tomorrow at the hardware store and finish the rest of it off.  Next up... I have to create the forming shape to mould the acrylic with.

On a side note, fibre glassing is still proceeding, I'll revisit that when it's just about all done.  I've also finished writing the plot and dialogue for the comic.  This will allow me to start doing the panel layout for the comic book in readiness for the drawings.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2018, 03:02:54 am »
There's loads of places that sell acrylic domes. Custom sizes to. Appreciate you attention to detail but that a lot of hassle for something you can get off the shelf..

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2018, 05:00:33 am »
An off the shelf item won't cut it Richie.  The dome needs to have a flanged edge and have the right arc.  There are other more complex acrylic parts to be molded for this cab I haven't mentioned yet.  The dome will be good practice.  The other parts require custom molding.  Apart from that the press was fun to make.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2018, 03:10:09 pm »
There's loads of places that sell acrylic domes. Custom sizes to. Appreciate you attention to detail but that a lot of hassle for something you can get off the shelf..
Ond knows what he’s doing. Just sit back, relax and watch the mastery take shape. We all can learn a thing or two from his attention to detail and problem solving skills.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2018, 07:54:20 am »
Huh.  Now I feel stupid.  I never thought that a shop vac would have enough umph to pull the plastic after heating.  Thats what I get for not doing research. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2018, 08:49:00 am »
Its both an honor and a pleasure watching you work.  I'll finally have some ginger updates soon, Ive just been busy building a bathroom in the house and by the time Im done putting in work on it, I don't feel like doing anything else.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2018, 07:58:45 pm »
The cog from RoToron's coin plate.  It's just cabinet bling, but a nice project result is all about the little details. The design is borrowed (with permission) from Pixelhugger. ...

This was the one part of my project that brought me to my knees and forced me to outsource it. I just couldn't get the design shaped perfectly with my own hands/templates. Leave it to you to find a solution!   :cheers:

Years back I met my favorite comic book artist at Comicon and asked him to sketch my favorite character of his wearing a shirt with the rocketsprocket logo on it. Interestingly (to me at least) his approach to shaping the cog was basically the same as Ond's. 1. Create the circle, 2. "attach" the teeth individually at the "compass points" This was a novel idea to me, as I had drawn the logo hundreds of times with a single outline/stroke, but never as well as he did on his first pass.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:02:45 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

PaladinZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2020, 04:05:36 pm
  • klaatu barada nikto!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158194.0.html
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2018, 09:00:28 am »
Dear God, this is pure artistry! Amazing stuff you're doing there. I'm going to follow this thread closely :).

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2018, 09:19:15 pm »
............  I'll finally have some ginger updates soon, I’ve just been busy building a bathroom in the house and by the time I’m done putting in work on it, I don't feel like doing anything else.

I know exactly what you mean mate.  Try for an update this weekend? :cheers:

This was the one part of my project that brought me to my knees and forced me to outsource it. I just couldn't get the design shaped perfectly with my own hands/templates. Leave it to you to find a solution!   :cheers:

Years back I met my favorite comic book artist at Comicon and asked him to sketch my favorite character of his wearing a shirt with the rocketsprocket logo on it. Interestingly (to me at least) his approach to shaping the cog was basically the same as Ond's. 1. Create the circle, 2. "attach" the teeth individually at the "compass points" This was a novel idea to me, as I had drawn the logo hundreds of times with a single outline/stroke, but never as well as he did on his first pass.

I have a lot of time these days to ponder practical solutions to my (your) designs.  I love the eureka moments when I think I have a solution to something.

Dear God, this is pure artistry! Amazing stuff you're doing there. I'm going to follow this thread closely :).

Welcome aboard and thanks for taking an interest in my project.   :cheers:

Here's the completed vacuum press all ready to go.  It’s all sealed with silicone on the joins and fitted with Vacuum pipe attachment.

The cut plan and parts list is really simple for it:

•   4 x 50mm x 300mm x 16mm MDF
•   2 x 300mm x 332mm x 16mm MDF
•   5 x rubber feet (screw on)
•   4 x Corner aluminium
•   Aluminium for mounting frame
•   1.3 M of 3mm rubber strip
•   Screws, glue etc.

I got the fibreglass layer cut back on my Control Panel.  Next I'll recut the control cut-outs nice and clean.

Who loves their Dremel?  I do!  On visits to my hardware shop I'm always picking up some new attachment for the thing. Just a few of my favourites pictured here.

Who tries to make their feeble Dremel perform the work a router should hmmm? I don't.  I just use my router to gouge out the rough cut, then I use my Dremel to finish the job.

A test fitting of the various Rocket Sprocket 'n Core parts.  The Rocket part has more shaping to go yet.  The rough rebate for the cog will be filled and refined for a much tighter, neater fit to the cog. 

For those new to my project who have never seen the original Rocket Sprocket coin plate, its fabrication and construction was very similar to the new one.  It had a different shape and smoothed out look.  I should probably just show you.

Flashback time!

Here it is, the original in all its chromed glory.  That's real chrome over MDF.  So why replace it?  The new cabinet design has an overall different feel and theme.  You'll just have to keep following to see what that is.   :D

Next.. final shaping and finishing of the Rocket Sprocket Coin Plate.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:47:45 pm by Ond »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2018, 09:34:57 pm »
Yep... he is just showing off now.  :cheers:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2018, 12:45:53 pm »
Wow!!  Looking good as usual.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2018, 02:33:01 pm »
Yep... he is just showing off now.  :cheers:

Oops  :-[ was I?  Ok thanks, I'll keep my build updates more to the progress.

Wow!!  Looking good as usual.

(thanks  :) )