Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe R-91 Volume Too Loud  (Read 6990 times)

CCIE2927

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2015, 06:06:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rowe R-91 Volume Too Loud
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:57:48 pm »
I am new to this jukebox world and I just purchased an Antique Apparatus jukebox with a Rowe R-91 phonograph playing 45RPM records.  It has a volume control knob in the back but even with this control turned all the way down, the music is still way to loud for our home.  It has a 130 watt stereo amplifier with the numbers 6-09931-01 on it.  Is there another way to lower the volume on this amp beside the knob on the back?  Do they make a volume control knob with a wider range of adjustment on it?

Thanks so much....

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Rowe R-91 Volume Too Loud
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:24:24 pm »
   No such thing as too loud, windows shake, neighbors complain, cops show up, whatever, "Top Jimmie, He is the king"....However, my thoughts would be that volume pot was replaced with something that's not quite right, Id take a close look at the numbers, And #2 bartenders use a remote volume control behind the bar, a secondary control if you will, that will not only bring them down to near Wtf just happened, it will also reject the selection, from across the room... **Jenifer sings unusually loudly, "MORE POWER TILL IT STRIKES THE HOUR..."

JukeBob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2015, 08:24:35 am
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:24:19 pm »
Try checking your manual as it describes what the default E1 to E7 connections are for the phono speakers.  If the pink & violet wires are connected to say terminal connection 6, then move them back to 3 as a test.  The lower the number the lower the output.  That's what I did on my R-90.

Loud is good if its not distorted...just sayin'.   ;D

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:36:30 am »
Hello CCIE2927,

Welcome to the forum.

Is your amplifier the standard 130 watt amplifier or is it the Antique Apparatus version where it is in a draw with the power supply all in chassis form?

If it is just the basic amplifier and it is fitted with the output package then reducing the tappings down from E6 left & right to say E3 or E4 as jukebob says.

My advice is to always make up a test volume control using a 10k log control which is fitted as follows:-

If you do not have a spare volume control Molex plug (5 pin) then use the existing and rewire it.

Pin 1 link to pin 5 and take a cable to the one side of the 10k log volume control.
Pin 3 take a cable to the wiper of the control

The above rules out if the volume is the wrong way around or there is a faulty ground on the jukebox wiring.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

trvlgirl06

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2015, 02:03:11 pm
Re: Rowe R-91 Volume Too Loud/ what is ERR 4 code???
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 01:52:43 pm »
Hi,

I am NOT trying to take over this question, but I am having an issue with my AMI Rowe R-91. They(have 2) have been stored long term. Recently got them out and they worked fine. I have no reason to believe they got damaged but now one of them comes up with ERR 4 and won't work. Does light up, etc. HELP!!! Located in So Cal, USA. Thanks, Jill

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 10:33:07 am »
Hi Jill,

Welcome to the forum.

Dependant on the time the jukeboxes have been stored; the batteries in the CCC's will need replacing.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

CCIE2927

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 04:52:40 pm »
Try checking your manual as it describes what the default E1 to E7 connections are for the phono speakers.  If the pink & violet wires are connected to say terminal connection 6, then move them back to 3 as a test.  The lower the number the lower the output.  That's what I did on my R-90.

Sorry for my tardy response.  I checked all of the speaker connections and they are connected as described in my manual.  I then moved the pink & violet wires from E6 to E2 (the center speaker wires are connected to E3) and have the same results.  I can make the volume louder, but I cannot get is any lower.  Thanks for the advice.

CCIE2927

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 05:01:26 pm »
Hello CCIE2927,

Welcome to the forum.

Is your amplifier the standard 130 watt amplifier or is it the Antique Apparatus version where it is in a draw with the power supply all in chassis form?

If it is just the basic amplifier and it is fitted with the output package then reducing the tappings down from E6 left & right to say E3 or E4 as jukebob says.

My advice is to always make up a test volume control using a 10k log control which is fitted as follows:-

If you do not have a spare volume control Molex plug (5 pin) then use the existing and rewire it.

Pin 1 link to pin 5 and take a cable to the one side of the 10k log volume control.

The above rules out if the volume is the wrong way around or there is a faulty ground on the jukebox wiring.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
I'll get a spare 5 ping connector this week. I have several spare 10K volume controls.  As it is wired right now, Pin 1 is a white/violet wire Pins 2 & 3 are not connected while Pin 4 is white and Pin 5 is violet  So I should connect Pin 1 and Pin 5 and attached these two wires to one side of the 10K ohm volume control and then run a wire from Pin 3 and connect that to the wiper side of the volume control.  Is this correct?

Thanks so much!

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 06:22:24 am »
That is correct, the wiring of this test volume control sorts out any internal jukebox wring.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man

CCIE2927

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 05:17:47 pm »
Hello CCIE2927,

Welcome to the forum.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
I'll get a spare 5 ping connector this week. I have several spare 10K volume controls.  As it is wired right now, Pin 1 is a white/violet wire Pins 2 & 3 are not connected while Pin 4 is white and Pin 5 is violet  So I should connect Pin 1 and Pin 5 and attached these two wires to one side of the 10K ohm volume control and then run a wire from Pin 3 and connect that to the wiper side of the volume control.  Is this correct?

Thanks so much!

Well I got the connector and wired up the pins as described and no change in the volume.  It is full volume all the time.  I tried a 50K ohm volume control thinking that if I introduced more resistance, the volume would go down but nothing changed.  Even if I disconnect the volume control plug from the amp, it still plays at full volume.  No control over the volume whatsoever.  Thinking maybe the amp is bad.  Thoughts?  Is there a replaceable volume control board in the amp?

TIA.....Tom

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 05:09:09 am »
Hi Tom,

Its time to send the amplifier to someone to repair it, the pre-amplifier is faulty if the test volume control will not sort out the issue.

If you are in the USA then I suggest that you contact Bruce Wentworth at AB Leisure, if in Europe then you could send it to me for testing/repair.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

CCIE2927

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 12:05:02 pm »
Hi Tom,

Its time to send the amplifier to someone to repair it, the pre-amplifier is faulty if the test volume control will not sort out the issue.

If you are in the USA then I suggest that you contact Bruce Wentworth at AB Leisure, if in Europe then you could send it to me for testing/repair.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Yep!  I kind of figured that was going to be the case.  I'll see if I can find someone closer to my home in Las Vegas, NV.  If not, I'll send it off to Bruce. 

Thank you so much for your help.  I sincerely appreciate it.

Tom

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 05:27:50 am »
Hello Tom,

Happy to help, just make sure that where ever you send it for repair that they deal and are conversant with Rowe Ami amplifiers.

A little story for you, a forum member posted on here a couple of years ago with a faulty 130 watt amplifier, it turned out they were in the UK and contacted me direct, they happened to work in Sheffield so they dropped the amplifier off during their lunchtime the next day and collected it the day after. So two days after they posted a message on this forum they had a fully working jukebox.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Dylanoreo21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2015, 11:24:25 pm
  • Arcade trouble shooter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 09:25:20 pm »

Hi can someone please help me with this 
We have a Rowe r-94 that no sound would come out
So we bought a rebuilt amp and installed it
Then when powered on there was a high pitch squeal
Then the next week it was powered on and sounded fine everything worked
Then a month later turned it on and the squeals back 
Any ideas ? 
And all of the lights have been needing replaced for a long time would that have something to do with this ?
Working on them is  the fun part

joshuasb80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 11:29:41 pm
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 10:21:30 pm »

Great information!  I just acquired an R-90 and have always thought the sound was lower than I thought it should be.  Upon looking, my wires are connected to E2.  I will have to move them up a couple and see if it increases my sound.  Not sure where the unattached brown and red wire may go though.  Any suggestions?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 07:28:54 am »
Hello joshuasb80,

The Red and Brown wires are connected to the extension  speaker connections on the amplifier compartment door, for full output put the pink & violet on E6 left and E6 right.

Regards

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

joshuasb80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 11:29:41 pm
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 08:58:59 am »
Hello joshuasb80,

The Red and Brown wires are connected to the extension  speaker connections on the amplifier compartment door, for full output put the pink & violet on E6 left and E6 right.

Regards

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Hey, thank you very much!  I moved the pink & violet wires to E4 Left and E4 Right and was amazed at the change in volume.  Wish I had done that months ago!