Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Upright Cab CNC files  (Read 2927 times)

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
Star Wars Upright Cab CNC files
« on: August 20, 2018, 02:33:27 pm »
Heres my problem guys.  I am building an upright Star Wars cab but I am not in any kind of mood to cut each intricate piece by hand.  That's where the CNC files come into play.  I have found a .DXF file and .CRV file here.  The problem that I have is the fact that the CRV file does not contain tool paths which makes the file useless.  Mike A gave it a once over for me but has found that he cannot create cutting paths without knowing the depth.

So here are my questions:

• Does anyone have the CRV file with cutting paths?
  • If not can the DXF file be used on a Shopbot CNC cutting machine to cut out the pieces?

Thanks guys.  Also if you are reading this and you have cut a Star Wars cab out of MDF with a CNC machine please let me know how it was done and if you could spare the files to a brotha. 

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Star Wars Upright Cab CNC files
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 02:36:25 pm »
I can generate the cut path for most of the cab. There are parts that cut less than the full depth. There is no data for what those depths should be. That is the issue.

The areas in red are rebates. There are more. I just put some as an example. I don't know what the depth should be on those. Cutting the panels is simple. The rebates would be too except there is no notation of their depth. Some other cab plans on that website document the slot or rebate depths.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:43:45 pm by Mike A »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:51:24 pm »
The Tempest Cabaret on the same site contains notations for pocket depth.

That is what I am looking for. If anyone has that information it is easy to generate the tool paths.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:08:39 pm »
Cool Mike.  S Verlander has a 10 part Star Wars Arcade repair on Youtube.  I am going to start watching to see if I can get measurements.

Or if anyone is sitting on a SW cab I would appreciate any help.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:23:26 pm by jdbailey1206 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:28:08 pm »
Sorry. I guess I didn't explain that too well in the PM.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 03:41:25 pm »
Sorry. I guess I didn't explain that too well in the PM.

I think you explained just fine.  I'm more of a visual learner.  The diagrams helped.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 08:44:36 am »
Mike I'm wondering if you get the paths generated I can get the file and just implement the rebates / recesses as I am building the cab?  I can't imagine there are that many.  The monitor I'm not too worried about as I am fitting an old CRT monitor into it so I will not need the rebates on the monitor mount.  The only other ones I can see are the back door, back base, top back, the exterior speaker mount, and two other pieces.  Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:53:20 am by jdbailey1206 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 08:53:47 am »
I was going to suggest that. Are you handing this over to a professional CNC operator? They might want to generate the tool paths themselves from the DXF file. If they are a small cabinet or sign shop, they might use V Carve Pro. To generate the tool paths I would need to know what size endmill they are using, their feed and rapid speeds, their plunge speed, etc. They know all of these values. It should be trivial for them to generate the tool paths themselves. Have you asked them?

You could put me in touch with them. I speak their language. I could sort through what they need pretty quickly.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 09:00:20 am »
I'm taking it to a maker space.  They said they could help.  From the sounds of it they have a guy that just deals with V Carve and the Shop Bot they have.  I think I want to start with a side and the top back so I can feel them out and see how well they do.  I have a feeling they are going to tell me the same thing as you did.  They wont be able to cut it without measurements.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 09:09:47 am »
They can do all of the profile cuts easily if they have V Carve. All they need is that V Carve file. All they have to do is load up the .crv file, and set the material thickness. select the vectors you want to cut, pick the profile cut option. Select the endmill they will use and hit calculate. The software will generate the toolpath that the CNC machine needs. If they know V Carve it should only take a couple minutes for them to generate the g code file for the CNC machine. I can communicate with them if you like. Since they use V Carve this should be cake.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 09:30:02 am »
here is a visual aid

Load the .crv file.
Set the material size The white area is your plywood or MDF

Select the vectors you want to cut and move them onto the workspace

Select the vector you want to cut. Pick the profile tool. Pick the endmill you are going to use and a couple other things those guys should know. Hit calculate.
Calculate generates a Gcode file that the CNC machine uses to do the actual cutting.

It isn't quite this simple, but it is pretty easy.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 09:34:19 am »
I would gladly cut these for you, but my CNC machine is only 12 x 24. I am worth on building a bigger machine, but that won't be finished any time soon.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 10:12:54 am »
Let me plays devil advocate for a minute.  Looking at cj138s Star Wars build I have to assume that the rebates you are talking about are one half of 3/4 deep making them 3/8 or .375 inches deep. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 10:21:42 am »
That looks about right. It is really easy to do that in VCarve. That V Carve file has vectors for the rebates. You just select that vector and use the pocket tool. Tell it how deep to go and hit calculate. The guys in the makerspace should have no trouble with this. I am guessing that as long as the rebate cuts are close you will be able to improvise.