Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mission Six (Doneish)  (Read 18174 times)

FALSE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
Mission Six (Doneish)
« on: August 19, 2018, 08:22:06 pm »
EDIT
Cab is together and playable. Art turned out better than I could have hoped for! Still lots of configuring to do but I've got the front end set up (Launchbox) LED blinky is working well enough to light up the buttons that are used for each game in MAME, and the Servostiks are automatically changing from 4-8 way based on game.

Thank you to the entire forum, this place is a wealth of knowledge.
And thank you to GameOnGrafix who took a look at my final art, suggested some changes/pointed out some issues, and eased my concerns about the art not printing properly.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Super excited to be making this thread. After many years of lurking and random posting in this forum, I finally bought some MDF tonight and am actually starting a cabinet build.
So here is my project thread. I posted another thread in Main recently with some grid paper cab plans which were met with much criticism. Since then, I have managed to fumble my way through Sketchup and made a model of my cab(after several revisions).
I know this will rub many purists the wrong way but here's my plans and model.

PARTS
Full size, 2 player cabinet.
32" LCD for the display (go ahead and let your anger out  ;D). 27" LCD
2 Magstick Plus (subject to change)
7 LED buttons per player(will use LED blinky to light up game specific buttons). Ditching the LEDs due to cost
1 U Track track ball w/led add on Ditching the LED due to cost.
8 buttons per player - will be playing modern fighters on cab
Not sure how many admin buttons - coin up, p1 start, p2 start, pause, fast forward, exit,  - Will probably hide fast forward  on the top of the cabinet.

GAMES
Emultators will be MAME of course. Need to research any other arcade emulators that run games that MAME doesn't or runs them significantly better.
For giggles, I may put NES, Genesis, and possibly SNES.
Will have Steam games also for recent fighters, MK SF etc., random shmups like Jamestown, Cuphead and anything else that might lend itself to a cabinet.

EMULATORS that I need to research
Not sure if these have any games that I want that run better than MAME - research required.
Zinc
Nebula
Super Model
Model 2
Daphne

ART
The artwork is going to be my biggest challenge. I really have no idea how to use Inkscape or other graphic programs but I'm going to give it my best.
I may end up having to break down and pay for art but I've almost busted my budget already.
I'm hoping to use "The Madness of Mission 6" artwork posted below.
Want to do "Mission Six" text for the marquee but not really sure how to pretty it up beyond that(Maybe an Atari logo in the background?).
CP will probably be the full artwork.
I want to use the red ghost on one side panel and the blue ghost on the other side.
Not sure at all on the color scheme other than that.

I've lurked for a long time and I have learned a lot through the years but I know its going to be different putting all of this in practice.
I'm going to have lots of questions and I appreciate any advice I can get from anyone.

Anyway, here's my cab and the pic I want pull my art from.

PICS

COST
(2) 4'x8' 3/4" MDF panels: 53.32
(1) 4'x8' 1/2" MDF panel : 18.68
Truck rental for panels:     20.00
misc screws: 10.00
27" LCD: 150.00

Tools That I didn't already have
Large T-Square:  11.00
Bora WRX saw guide: 40.00
Bora WRX saw plate: 30.00
Respirator: 33.00
Compass: 7.00
Cutting guide: 20.00
Jigsaw blades: 9.00
Circular saw blade: 20.00
Dremel router attachment: 32.00
Dremel compass attachment: 9.00
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:31:56 pm by FALSE »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: First timer. My build Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:00:43 pm »
Cool theme.  Not sure you need 7 buttons.  Also, look into Servostiks for your joys.  Would make switching easier.

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:08:26 pm »
Cool! 

Pay someone to do the art.  In the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive and if you've really lurked here for that long... make this something that you'll be proud to look at / show off / play.

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:47 pm »
Cool theme.  Not sure you need 7 buttons.  Also, look into Servostiks for your joys.  Would make switching easier.

Doing 7 buttons for a Street Fighter/NeoGeo layout like below.
xxx
xxxx

Though I just started thinking, "how many NeoGeo games actually use 4 buttons".
Any other games other than NeoGeos that use 4 in a row?

Also, have thought about the Servo Stick but it just seems like 1 more thing to break.
I've got a 7 year old that'll be playing on this plus his friends. I hate to think what them yanking on a stick while it switches modes might do to the servo.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:27:31 pm by FALSE »

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:29:22 pm »
Cool! 

Pay someone to do the art.  In the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive and if you've really lurked here for that long... make this something that you'll be proud to look at / show off / play.

Mike

Yea I definitely want it to look good. Gonna give it a shot myself, at least to get a basic concept I think.

bplail

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2023, 11:11:24 pm
  • Currently building a DK cab
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 12:17:35 am »
I've always liked that artwork. Keen to see the end product

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 04:14:16 am »
If you are going to go flat screen... do yourself and everyone else that plays it a favour and get a Freesync/G-sync monitor.  This way with a compatible graphics card you won't get any stutter or tearing associated with fixed refresh LCDs.  The games will run in their native refresh rate.

Also, if you can afford it, I'd go 2 x Dominux8 rubber grommet joysticks, far nicer than spring ones imho... and stick a dedicated 4-way (pac-pro perhaps) in the middle for 4-way games.  That's what I did here and no regrets :)

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 09:59:31 am »

xxx
xxxx

Also, have thought about the Servo Stick but it just seems like 1 more thing to break.
I've got a 7 year old that'll be playing on this plus his friends. I hate to think what them yanking on a stick while it switches modes might do to the servo.

I've got Mag-Stick Pluses on my cab.  It's real easy to switch between 4/8 way...just simply pull up and turn.  Also. If you are planning to play newer fighting games (mainly the Injustice series) you might want to add an 8th button.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 05:59:26 am »

xxx
xxxx

I've got Mag-Stick Pluses on my cab.  It's real easy to switch between 4/8 way...just simply pull up and turn.  Also. If you are planning to play newer fighting games (mainly the Injustice series) you might want to add an 8th button.
You still need to know which games are 4 way and which one are 8 way. I don't know, and a 7 year old probably doesn't even know either...

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 07:47:57 pm »

xxx
xxxx

You still need to know which games are 4 way and which one are 8 way. I don't know, and a 7 year old probably doesn't even know either...

The kids don't need to know which games are 4 way and which are 8. They'll just be happy to play lol.
I'm a child of the 80s, I've got a pretty good idea on what's 4 way. And not like I couldn't just switch it while in game if I didn't know ahead of time.

Almost definitely going with the MagStik Plus even though there is no LED version.

EDIT
Actually just realized there is an LED option for the servostik....
Now I've got a decision to make...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:49:35 pm by FALSE »

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 11:14:55 pm »
Would love to get some thoughts on these.
Very rough and need a lot of work but how does the general concept work???
Trying to decide if this idea is even worth pursuing.

I may skip the front art and just do a coin door, not sure yet.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:16:39 pm by FALSE »

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 11:48:30 pm »
I have some experience with Illustrator. I am no artist but I can split up and modify existing art. Let me know if I can help.

As for figuring out how many buttons and what controls you need, I've been working on a little side project. It's not done, but it works. Paste in your list of roms (the filenames without .zip), click "add cab" configure it, hit "Refresh". You can click names in the resulting list to see requirements for the game.

http://s3.yo1.dog/mame-native-setup-helper/index.html

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 11:54:09 pm »
Love the theme.
I had a chance to chat with the original artist, Travis Pitts, who made this image for threadless. Really nice guy and also an enthusiast of the classic games.

I think you’re on the right track, but I would definitely get a coin door, but I’d do simple graphics around it.

Are you planning to vectorize the art so it upscales well? If so, you could edit the shape of the ghosts to better fit the sides. Also, I’d fit 2 on each side instead of the one per. It’ll add more interesting colours to the sides instead of being only 2-toned, and add a bit more visual “weight” to the sides rather than just one character silhouette.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 04:22:28 am »
If you are going to do simple artwork like that you should stencil it with paint instead of printing it on vinyl. That would be sweet. I am not implying any negative connotation with my use of the word "simple". I think it would look badass painted.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 08:24:52 pm »
I have some experience with Illustrator. I am no artist but I can split up and modify existing art. Let me know if I can help.

I'm mostly just fumbling my way through InkScape and Gimp. Lots of Googling, very little progress. I'd love to know a quick way to separate all the elements from each other, each ghost, the man, the pill bottles, the box, the pills.
I'm open to any suggestions. I was not blessed with an artists eye or hand.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »
Love the theme.
I had a chance to chat with the original artist, Travis Pitts, who made this image for threadless. Really nice guy and also an enthusiast of the classic games.

I think you’re on the right track, but I would definitely get a coin door, but I’d do simple graphics around it.

Are you planning to vectorize the art so it upscales well? If so, you could edit the shape of the ghosts to better fit the sides. Also, I’d fit 2 on each side instead of the one per. It’ll add more interesting colours to the sides instead of being only 2-toned, and add a bit more visual “weight” to the sides rather than just one character silhouette.

I've loved the art and the story behind it since I first saw it.  Bought the t-shirt and it's so worn out I really need to order another one.
I previously tried to reach out to Travis Pitts to get his blessing to use his art but had no success getting in touch with him. I figure no harm/no foul since it's just a personal use thing.

I know you're a big artist around here and know what you're talking about so I'm glad you say I'm on the right track.

Definitely plan to vectorize. Figured out how on InkScape and have been able to get a really good vector after I messed with some of the settings. If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain on vectoring and the rest of your final comments...

For vectoring, I'm going to do the whole image all together.
Then I'm going to go back to the original image and pull apart each element, each ghost, the guy, etc... and then vectorize each of those independently.
Is this the right way to handle it? I figure that way I've got a scaleable version of the full image and I've got the individual elements to play with also...

How on earth do I even begin modifying the shapes of the ghosts? Do I do that before vectoring? I'm guessing that would require an artists touch which I'm sorely lacking.

Definitely agree with adding 2 ghosts but then I have to scale them down quite a bit to make them fit, right?
That's gonna leave me with a lot of blank space. Unless I stretched them taller but I think stretching them would make it look weird, wouldn't it???

Thanks for your comments.
I was hoping to put saw to wood this weekend but someone pointed out that my control panel was to low at 36" so I'm going to do another round of Sketchup I think.
CP will slope from 38" in the front to 40" in the back. 10" deep. Thoughts?

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 08:41:52 pm »
If you are going to do simple artwork like that you should stencil it with paint instead of printing it on vinyl. That would be sweet. I am not implying any negative connotation with my use of the word "simple". I think it would look badass painted.

That's an interesting idea but not sure if trolling....
How does one even go about getting a stencil(s) big enough to fit an arcade cab.
I definitely couldn't free hand it.
Also not sure how well it would turn out. There is a good amount of shading in there.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 10:44:55 pm »
Okay, modified my plans to raise the control panel.
Thoughts?

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 11:10:42 pm »
More work on the art.
Still trying to get a feel for it.
No idea what to do in the empty space.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 11:54:35 pm »
Mike is totally not trolling, and I think that’s a fantastic idea. Stenciling this would be pretty straight forward as it’s one colour per ghost. I would consider that option. It would add a professional level to your project and will look more legit to the way cabs were BITD. I stenciled 3-coloured artwork for one of my projects, and it turned out really great looking and made the cab seem more pro. Took longer to do, but it was worth it. Also, graph paper is your friend here.

But if you choose to go the vector/print route, yeah, vector the image but make sure to have each ghost’s vector shape in their own folder/layer.
That way you can edit them individually and add any missing elements to them.
As for fitting, you could have 2 of them on each side, positioned in front of the other, but the back one slightly smaller and higher in vertical positioning, as if in a cascade arrangement with a slight amount of perspective scaling.
This way you could keep them slightly big but still fit both on each side while not leaving too much empty space. Mind, it’s not a bad thing to have empty areas, as long as the “positive and negative space” is somewhat balanced.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 12:00:11 am »
Mike is totally not trolling, and I think that’s a fantastic idea. Stenciling this would be pretty straight forward as it’s one colour per ghost. I would consider that option. It would add a professional level to your project and will look more legit to the way cabs were BITD. I stenciled 3-coloured artwork for one of my projects, and it turned out really great looking and made the cab seem more pro. Took longer to do, but it was worth it. Also, graph paper is your friend here.

But if you choose to go the vector/print route, yeah, vector the image but make sure to have each ghost’s vector shape in their own folder/layer.
That way you can edit them individually and add any missing elements to them.
As for fitting, you could have 2 of them on each side, positioned in front of the other, but the back one slightly smaller and higher in vertical positioning, as if in a cascade arrangement with a slight amount of perspective scaling.
This way you could keep them slightly big but still fit both on each side while not leaving too much empty space. Mind, it’s not a bad thing to have empty areas, as long as the “positive and negative space” is somewhat balanced.

Thank you, that makes sense.
Guess my next step is to split everything up and then vectorize.

The stencil idea sounds cool but I have no idea how I would even begin something like that.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:08:31 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 08:46:59 am »
If you are handy with a sharp knife or a scalpel and are willing to do a bit of work, you can use frog tape, a scalpel, a printed template and, of course, paint.

- paint the cab side black

- mask off the area where the ghosts will be with frog tape

- print the graphics

- tape the graphics to the cab

- use the scalpel to cut the outlines, make sure to cut through the paper and the frog tape

- peel off the frog tape that covers the ghost on the left

- paint those areas blue, wait for the paint to dry

- mask off the areas where the ghosts intersect

- print the template a second time, cut the outlines where the ghosts intersect

- peel off the frog tape that covers the ghost on the right

- paint those areas red

- optionally you can apply a clear coat as a final layer

Here is a link to how this came out on my cab. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=140758.msg1458221#msg1458221

Here is the link to a stencilled control panel that inspired me to do my cab with stencils: http://www.ironvulva.com/?p=14

So yep, stencils can look good.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 09:19:40 am »
If you are handy with a sharp knife or a scalpel and are willing to do a bit of work, you can use frog tape, a scalpel, a printed template and, of course, paint.

- paint the cab side black

- mask off the area where the ghosts will be with frog tape

- print the graphics

- tape the graphics to the cab

- use the scalpel to cut the outlines, make sure to cut through the paper and the frog tape

- peel off the frog tape that covers the ghost on the left

- paint those areas blue, wait for the paint to dry

- mask off the areas where the ghosts intersect

- print the template a second time, cut the outlines where the ghosts intersect

- peel off the frog tape that covers the ghost on the right

- paint those areas red

- optionally you can apply a clear coat as a final layer

Here is a link to how this came out on my cab. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=140758.msg1458221#msg1458221

Here is the link to a stencilled control panel that inspired me to do my cab with stencils: http://www.ironvulva.com/?p=14

So yep, stencils can look good.

Those look amazing but there's no way I have the skill or patience to do it correctly.
Think I'll stick with vinyl for this one.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 07:33:31 pm »
Progress!!!!
Cut one side panel.
The monitor area was REALLY hard to cut. Couldn't get my circular saw in there because of the angles.
Went in with a jigsaw and screwed up the edge really bad. Basically lost my clean 90 degree edge.
Had to go back in with the jigsaw and cut the monitor area deeper into the cab than I wanted to fix the edges.
The edges aren't perfect but are much better and the monitor cut is straightish....
Hoping a little sanding gets it closer to perfect.

Would LOVE any tips on sanding the edges without rounding them!

Took a lot longer than I expected to just get this done.
Next step is rough cutting the other panel and then routing it using this one as a template.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 03:46:18 pm »
Dont use the sander to get a nice clean 90, use the pattern bit/copy bit on the router,  clamp a straight edge as close as possible to the edge and then just run the router along it :)

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 07:57:34 pm »
Dont use the sander to get a nice clean 90, use the pattern bit/copy bit on the router,  clamp a straight edge as close as possible to the edge and then just run the router along it :)

That is such an obviously simple solution that I NEVER would have thought of.

THANK YOU!

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 08:31:54 pm »
I have a bunch of images of pattern routing in my build thread -
Get that first side all cleaned up - making the second side from the first is pretty simple. 
I have a few other pattern routing images in here too..

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 09:46:20 pm »
Progress!!!

I finally had some free time and some good weather to work on this some more.
I wasn't happy with the side panel I cut last weekend so I decided to scrap it and start over.
Pretty much ditched the jigsaw entirely this time and just used my router and a Dremel with attachments to cut the curves, along with a circular saw.
The Dremel held up really well by doing shallow, progressively deeper passes.
I managed to get a new panel cut out. I'm pretty happy with it and I used a flush cut bit with my router to make a matching panel.
Some light sanding to do tomorrow and then it's on to the middle pieces. Hope I have enough MDF. I bought 2 3/4" sheets and have used one and a half so far(other than some usable scrap pieces).
I've also got a 1/2" sheet that I may use for some pieces if I don't have enough 3/4".

EDIT
Also got my monitor today. Decided against the 32" LCD and went with a 27" so the cabinet wont be as wide.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 03:35:45 am »
Use the 1/2" sheet for coindoor area, very top of machine and the back door, 3/4 for everything else :)

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2018, 08:58:36 pm »
No time to work on the cab this last week. Working way to many hours and headed out of town for the weekend with my wife for an anniversary weekend.
Still trying to decide the final width of the cabinet. Wavering between 27 and 30 inches.

Messed with the art a little more but it's slow going. I had all the elements separated from the original artwork but removed all the black from inside the ghosts. Didn't like how that looked so pretty much back to square one on the artwork.

Also considering other themes now. Cup Head, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or a shump theme like the Raiden or DonPachi series.

Just want to have something that looks "WOW" and I'm not sure I can pull that off myself.

If any artists are interested in giving me a ballpark on what they would charge to work with me on this, please let me know here or in a PM. Definitely starting to think the quality of artwork I want is well beyond my abilities.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2018, 10:22:52 pm »
Anything but Cuphead
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:40 pm »
Anything but Cuphead

Cuphead is great. Plays really well with my fightstick and definitely could have been an arcade game back in the glory days.
I get that the game was WAY over hyped because of the graphics but at it's core, it's a fun shoot em up and you have to admit the graphics ARE pretty cool.

I know Cuphead cabs have been done before but I've never been much of an idea man.
Just want the cab to look slick.

I REALLY wanted to do a zombie theme, "Undead Arcade" or "Arcade of the Dead", but I've got small kids and don't want them to be afraid of the cabinet.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 04:11:21 am »
Don't put the word arcade in the name.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:14 am »
If any artists are interested in giving me a ballpark on what they would charge to work with me on this, please let me know here or in a PM. Definitely starting to think the quality of artwork I want is well beyond my abilities.

I have no artistic ability (at least working with a computer) but the artist I hired from deviantart for my recent project was awesome to work with and prices were reasonable, IMO.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 02:20:06 pm »
I don't do art commissions for members here anymore, but depending on how many pieces you're going for (marquee, side, cp, etc..) and the complexity of the images an artist could charge you anywhere between $200-600. This is if you're going for totally original artwork, and not photochopped images from official art.

It really all depends on how the artist breaks down the workload.  Character collages are a PITA and when I was doing art commissions for people, I'd warn them ahead of time that it would be costly.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 09:45:12 pm »
I don't do art commissions for members here anymore, but depending on how many pieces you're going for (marquee, side, cp, etc..) and the complexity of the images an artist could charge you anywhere between $200-600. This is if you're going for totally original artwork, and not photochopped images from official art.

It really all depends on how the artist breaks down the workload.  Character collages are a PITA and when I was doing art commissions for people, I'd warn them ahead of time that it would be costly.

I'm really hoping to make this Mission Six art work. Going to keep plugging away at it. Any feedback from you as I come up with stuff would be hugely appreciated. Might ultimately end up hiring someone but I would love to be able to do the whole thing myself.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2018, 06:46:02 am »

I'm really hoping to make this Mission Six art work. Going to keep plugging away at it. Any feedback from you as I come up with stuff would be hugely appreciated. Might ultimately end up hiring someone but I would love to be able to do the whole thing myself.
Just make up your mind what you want as a theme. I am sure you will pull off something nice with some help from folks here.

Zoomie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2019, 01:46:53 pm
  • Oldschool gamer / New builder
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2018, 04:15:09 pm »
There are quite a few build threads with a 32" and it's a great size for a modern cabinet. 

I just finished my CP and I chose 7 buttons for my p1/p2. I used the slagcoin Japanese layouts and added an extra button to the bottom row. 
My main reason for doing this was to match the 4 buttons I'm using for my 3rd and 4th player layouts.  If you're only crafting a two-player machine, you're probably fine with 6.

The retro aesthetic looks fantastic.  Very clean design and era-appropriate!

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 12:04:26 am »
Not much to add so far. Updated my first post with a few changes.
Been busy at work so haven't had any time to work on the cab lately.
Had a little time today so I cut some furring strips and cut out my CP.

Screwed up my half inch sheet of MDF. I suddenly cant cut straight with a circular saw + guide.

Went to Lowes and bought a saw guide with saw plate https://www.lowes.com/pd/BORA-Clamp-and-Saw-Plate/50432432
It was a pain to get my circular saw clamped down squarely into the guide plate but I finally managed.
Did a quick test with it on a piece of scrap and it worked really well. Pretty much idiot proof.

Hope to have more time to work on this tomorrow. Maybe get the furring strips attached and the rest of the panels cut.

Considering having gameongraphix modify art from The Simpsons to fit my cab if I can't work out my own art.

Also realized the 2 old PCs I had laying around that I was considering using are both dead. Can't even get them to POST and they aren't worth wasting more time on.
Gonna buy a new CPU, Ram and mobo for my main desktop and then use the old parts for my cab.
Mame cab will have a 4th gen i5, and 16 gb ram. Have an old power supply and a gtx 970 to put in also. Way overkill but should run modern games really well. Alternatively I may see what I can get for the 970 and just use an old 550ti I have laying around.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:09:38 am by FALSE »

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2018, 10:40:07 pm »
I managed to find some time the past week and got ALL my panels cut!!! Pretty excited!!!
I cant say enough about the Bora Clamp and Saw Plate. I was able to rip long cuts and square up panels with ease.

Was just tinkering with the art some more.
Would love some thoughts and opinions on this?
If I fail at my own art, I'm going to just have The Simpsons side art printed at the size I need and go with that.

Maybe with a starfield???

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:59:34 pm by FALSE »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 01:38:12 am »
There we go, that’s what I was talking about. This is now starting to have that classic cab appeal, I like where you’re going with it. I’m not sure if I’m sold on the starfield version, I’d have to mull it over a bit.
But the ghosts are looking good like that, IMO.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 03:58:34 am »
I like the starfield version better, simply because it fills the empty space a bit. Also, when using space ghosts, you can get away displaying a bit of space  :D

I like the way the red ghost seems to look and point at you like "C'mere and play!"

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 07:09:08 am »
There we go, that’s what I was talking about. This is now starting to have that classic cab appeal, I like where you’re going with it. I’m not sure if I’m sold on the starfield version, I’d have to mull it over a bit.
But the ghosts are looking good like that, IMO.

I'm not sold on the starfield version either but I'm not sure I like the blank space and I don't think it will translate when printed.
I'm not sure how to fill the blank space, it just seems to black, but I have a few thoughts I'd like opinions on and other suggestions.

Thinking about any one or combination of these.
1. Add a color gradient to the background, maybe blue to black from the bottom up. Sort of the glow from a Pac Man maze.
2. Add some blue Pac Man maze lines into the background. Maybe just subtle along the back top, back, and bottom edges of the cab.
3. Sprinkle elements from the original image into the blank space. Could add the pill bottles, pills, or box easily. Not sure this will look right if they are just floating in the space, maybe overlapping the ghosts with these elements or vice versa.
4. Color and add an Atari logo in the background. Just the "swoosh" no actual text. As scene on the Astronauts shoulder.
5. Add the cabinets title or some other words to the back ground. The art is called "The Madness of Mission Six" and I'm thinking of calling the cab "Mission Six" (open to suggestions). Could put that behind the blue ghosts head to fill in the top blank area.
Alternatively could put a yellow "MADNESS" in a strong font running vertically behind the ghosts.
6. Could change the entire background to a different color. Dark blue is out because it's the color of the walls where my cab will go.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:22:30 am by FALSE »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 07:18:45 am »
All of those are a big no for me. Keep the concept focused. If you don't like the black, try a different solid color. The black looks fine to me though.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2018, 11:05:51 pm »
Bouncing around a lot of different areas on my cab. All the panels are now cut and started painting.
Working on a LaunchBox setup but haven't gotten to deep in that.
Ordered a bunch of parts, marquee light/holders, amp, speakers, and buttons. T-molding.com has been great for all this, really fast shipping and very responsive to any questions I've had.
Still need to order my track ball and joysticks along with a control board. Placing Ultimarc order soon.
Hoping to mock up the cabinet tomorrow before I finish the painting.

Working on artwork this evening.
Would love some feedback on my latest revision. Artwork has been vectorized.
I think this might be the final version of the side art. Other side will just be a mirror image.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2018, 05:23:46 am »
The ghosts on the other side should be pink and orange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2018, 05:42:55 am »
Depending on whether you show the entire picture somewhere else or not, the significance of the box of pills might get lost. If you don't know that it's a PacMan reference, you might wonder why the ghosts hover over that box.

Are the right eye sockets intentionally empty? In the original pic both eyes have pupils.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2018, 11:31:55 am »
The ghosts on the other side should be pink and orange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea that's what I'd like to do but the pink and orange ghosts are cut in half in the original image.
I was thinking about trying to recolor the red and blue ghosts to pink and orange.
I basically have no idea what I'm doing with graphics programs, gimp and inkscape, so I'm just muddling my way through this lol.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2018, 11:35:42 am »
Depending on whether you show the entire picture somewhere else or not, the significance of the box of pills might get lost. If you don't know that it's a PacMan reference, you might wonder why the ghosts hover over that box.

Are the right eye sockets intentionally empty? In the original pic both eyes have pupils.

I'll have the entire picture on the cabinet. Most people I know don't get it's a pacman reference to begin with lol.
I felt like there was to much empty space around the red ghost so the box kind of breaks it up a little.

The pupils and a lot of detail were lost when I vectored it with Inkscape. Might try to add the missing pupils back in but I don't think it looks bad without them.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2018, 09:38:32 pm »
On the advice of javeryh.
It was kind of weird getting the colors swapped out in Gimp. I lost some detail in some areas and gained some in others.
Overall pretty ahappy with the results.
Might move the box to the top layer to see if it adds any depth.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2018, 03:28:11 am »
I like the side art. Just remember to fix the Anxiety box text when you flip (if you're flipping the way I think you are)

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2018, 08:46:32 am »
I like the side art. Just remember to fix the Anxiety box text when you flip (if you're flipping the way I think you are)

Glad you said that because I would not have thought of that.
I'll probably just flip the ghosts and not the box.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 03:10:01 pm »
Hey I don't know if you're checking your PM's, but I sent you one. Would be nice to get a response. thx.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 12:29:11 am »
Hey I don't know if you're checking your PM's, but I sent you one. Would be nice to get a response. thx.

Hey didn't notice I had a pm. Response sent, thanks.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2018, 11:02:04 pm »
Would love some feedback on the marquee design.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2018, 11:15:19 pm »
Take the characters off of it. Text only.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2018, 04:45:27 am »

This. It looks like the astronaut is afraid of the logo, the ghosts are too small.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2018, 09:05:21 pm »

This. It looks like the astronaut is afraid of the logo, the ghosts are too small.

I think it's to plain with just the text. Might play with it a bit. Maybe decrease the font size and make the characters bigger.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2018, 09:07:01 pm »
Simple is almost always better.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2018, 09:10:42 pm »
Simple is almost always better.

Right in most cases. But what arcade cabinet have just text for a marquee?
I would hardly call my design overly complicated as is.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2018, 09:19:11 pm »
You are right about that. However, the stark, plain marquee conveys the hopelessness of the main character. I like where you are going with the artwork. The characters on the marquee look good too.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2018, 09:19:57 pm »
"Anti-anxiety" box text is reversed on the right sideart.

Scott

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2018, 09:20:26 pm »
I think it's to plain with just the text. Might play with it a bit. Maybe decrease the font size and make the characters bigger.
It's also way too clean and crisp. I would make it a bit more "drawn" looking, something that matches the roughness of the ghosts and pill box to be consistent throughout all visuals.  I'd also add some of the colours from the rest of the images into the marquee, whether through outlines or a drop-shadow. Something to colourize it more.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2018, 09:25:40 pm »
Fix that reversed box text.

A box and some pills on the marquee would look better that the ghosts and astronaut.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2018, 09:41:00 pm »

A box and some pills on the marquee would look better that the ghosts and astronaut.

Actually mocking up a few different things like this now.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2018, 09:41:48 pm »

Yea that's on the "to do" list. Mostly just mocking things up right now.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2018, 09:44:27 pm »
It's also way too clean and crisp. I would make it a bit more "drawn" looking, something that matches the roughness of the ghosts and pill box to be consistent throughout all visuals.  I'd also add some of the colours from the rest of the images into the marquee, whether through outlines or a drop-shadow. Something to colourize it more.

Agree with that but I'm not really sure how I would even begin to make it look "drawn". Drop shadows I think I can do.

On the flip side, it's supposed to be a Namco font which I kind of like because it ties in with the PacMan theme.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2018, 10:05:03 pm »
So I've mocked up a few more Marquee.
These are all quick and dirty without vectored art, just trying out concepts.
Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 10:17:58 pm »
Do some kind of subtle nebula background.

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2018, 10:30:03 pm »
IMHO i wouldnt bother with the writing on the box

leaves it more to the imagination as to what the f**k is goin on   >:D

ps. box on other side in second pic to stop the yellow colour clashing?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2018, 10:30:16 pm »
Do some kind of subtle nebula background.

Second that.  Star field with as Opt2not suggested a more hand drawn font and introduce the other colors....maybe like Zaxxon? :dunno

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2018, 04:41:39 am »

Still no hand drawn font, but I like it. Maybe it's a starting point.

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2018, 01:08:03 pm »
Really digging the artwork man. This is going to be an amazing cabinet when it's finished.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2018, 07:36:10 pm »
SUPER EXCITED!
Drilled out my CP and mocked up the controls.
Think I'll do blue and red for both players but originally planned on blue for p1 and red for p2.
Player 1 and 2 are not symmetrical by design. Had to move some things around to comfortably fit the controls I wanted.
After the pics I recessed the area for the trackball down to 5/8" so it sits nice and flush.

Any tips on mounting the servo sticks under the cp?
It's 3/4" mdf. I bought the blind hole mounting kit from ultimarc which is for 3/4" and 5/8" panels.
I can route it down to 5/8" but I'l not sure that's going to be thin enough.
Should I go down to 1/2" and get shorter bolt inserts(what are those called anyway)?
Should I route to 5/8" and leave it?
What about route to 5/8" and get a longer shaft? I might do led anyway, is there a longer led compatible shaft?

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:57 pm »
PROGRESS!!!!!!!!
First time I've had it fully mocked up. Everything fit surprisingly well.
Still a lot of work to do but really excited to have a cabinet shell standing in my garage right now!

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2018, 03:19:14 am »
PROGRESS!!!!!!!!
Still a lot of work to do but really excited to have a cabinet shell standing in my garage right now!

What color t-molding will you be using?

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2018, 07:06:57 pm »
PROGRESS!!!!!!!!

What color t-molding will you be using?

Just playing it safe with black T-Molding

FALSE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2018, 07:48:41 am »
Been awhile since I've updated but have slowly been making progress.
Artwork is sent over to GameOnGrafix for print, control mounting hardware is installed in the CP.
Gotten a bunch of work done on my frontend, starting to look nice.
Off work till after the new year so hoping to have the artwork in a couple days and have the cabinet put together before I go back.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
Re: Mission Six (Doneish)
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2019, 11:02:11 pm »
Pretty much done. Pics at the start of thread.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2019, 04:09:45 am »

This turned out nice  :cheers:
The trackball placement is a bit too... spot on.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:14:33 pm by yamatetsu »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2019, 09:01:33 am »
I like the full art as the kick plate, but not for the CP. Still, it came out really good. Enjoy it!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2019, 09:21:10 am »
Make sure you use blue leds to light the track BALL.  ;D
The artwork looks fantastic. I am not in love with the kickplate art repeated on the CP.

hurricanefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2020, 10:39:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2019, 09:58:02 pm »
What model of lcd did you use for this build?