Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade controls to multiple consoles  (Read 2395 times)

Kent

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2021, 08:58:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade controls to multiple consoles
« on: August 19, 2018, 02:00:25 pm »
Hello,

I have been trying to come up with a solution for awhile now regarding my arcade controls and how I can have them jacked into multiple places. More specifically, I have the Brook Universal Fighting Board inside my Taito Vewlix. I want to connect to the PC via USB, as well as atleast 2 other consoles (PS4, PS3), without having to go under the hood and change the usb on the PCB. I bought this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JX ... UTF8&psc=1) Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub, thinking I could then send out the input signals to whatever device was turned on. For whatever reason the signal never makes it past this hub. I thought it might not be getting enough juice, so I bought a power adapter for the Hub, and still no go. I thought the cord length might be the issue, but the 10 foot usb cable directly connected to the PCB works fine, and with the hub powered I doubt it doesnt have the power needed to make it.

I am not sure what else to do. I would like to just sit my pc/consoles underneath the Vewlix compartment and forget about them, and whenever I want to play something specific the only thing I need to do is power on the pc/console of choice. Am I going about this wrong? Am I a dummy for thinking this might work? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Arcade controls to multiple consoles
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 02:01:09 am »
Yeah you cant do what you want via a hub.

What you would need is a 1-3 splitter or a switch but if ime honest I have never seen (or looked) for one.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 03:41:15 am »
The product you are describing is usually called a "USB KVM switch". (KVM = keyboard, video, and mouse)

Plug those keywords into Amazon and you should find what you're looking for.   :cheers:

There are also USB sharing switches like this one if you only need to switch the USB because each console/PC is on a separate A/V input.

Scott

Kent

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2021, 08:58:35 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 11:42:33 am »
Thank you guys so much!

I figured because the Hub showed mice and keyboards hooked up to it, that it could transfer the signals... guess not.

Since the brook supplies no power, it needs power from whatever the other ends USB is connected too, and I need atleast 10 feet of cord to extend out the back of my cab comfortably. The switch you linked recommends USB cables 3 meters so I should be safe, but wondering if they have switches that have their own power supply. Like I said I would prefer not to have to press any switches and leave all ports open, and only have to worry about which console is turned on. I'll do some research and post my results. Any further recommendations are highly welcome!

garethg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2018, 07:41:37 am
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 07:51:30 am »
Hi Kent,
I am currently developing a unit that will do just that what you looking for, as i have been looking for such a device and it dont exist.
My design will allow 4 different devices, eg; PS4, Xbox,PC and raspberry pi to be hooked up, aswell as their display outputs.
I built a vewlix style cabinet last year with the Brooks universal fighting boards, so i know exactly how you feel about unplugging consoles.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:48:45 am by garethg »

Redbeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 06:54:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade cab!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 06:55:32 pm »
Hi Kent,
I am currently developing a unit that will do just that what you looking for, as i have been looking for such a device and it dont exist.
My design will allow 4 different devices, eg; PS4, Xbox,PC and raspberry pi to be hooked up, aswell as their display outputs.
I built a vewlix style cabinet last year with the Brooks universal fighting boards, so i know exactly how you feel about unplugging consoles.

i too am building a vewlix style cab and have been looking for something like this as well. There is a YouTuber called noplzz who shows how ISTMALL setup their wiring for this exact problem but a unit like you are looking to create would be ideal. Is this unit far along in development?