Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver and demul. Which card?  (Read 3474 times)

mR_CaESaR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2022, 10:16:46 pm
CRT Emudriver and demul. Which card?
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:10:15 am »
Hi all,

I've recently built a nice little SFF groovymame setup on an Astro City and it runs better than I could've expected. It took me a while, but I eventually got there with the auto switching and stuff.

The build details are as follows:

Arcade Cab: Sega Astro City with a Sega PM1745 29″ in 15khz mode
CPU Specs: Windows 7 64bit, 4gb ram, i5, ati 5450 via DMS-59 to VGA
Arcade interface: JPAC
MAME version: 0.196
Groovymame version: v0.196_017
CRT Emu Driver: CRT Emudriver 2.0 - beta 13

I've recently been told about demul and I managed to get it installed on the cab, however, when I try and play MVC2 in the DC or the Naomi vesion of Demul, I cannot get a solid 60fps.

Demul settings are as follows:

Demul Version: DEmul x86 v0.7 BUILD 111117
Video plugin: gpuDX11
Window Resolution: 2560x240
Vsync: checked
Start in full screen: checked
Aspect ratio: 4:3
Linear filter: unchecked
Max Layers: 8

Does anyone know of or have an existing setup that they can recommend to get a constant 60fps that is also compatible with CRT Emudriver?

The one caveat is, it has to be a low profile card.

I don't mind buying a new card, I would rather not spend an arm and leg though.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:58:40 am by mR_CaESaR »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
Re: CRT Emudriver and demul. Which card?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 06:15:01 am »
Those Sega Astro cabs are nice indeed, and don't take up much space. Nanao 29" monitor. If you have two you can even link them up for even more multiplayer fun. Hard to fit a PC into them though.
Check out my completed projects!

mR_CaESaR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2022, 10:16:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 06:56:12 am »
Those Sega Astro cabs are nice indeed, and don't take up much space. Nanao 29" monitor.

Yes, I am a massive fan of the Astro City Cabs. I love the original ones over the whole series - unfortunately mine didn't come with MS29's. One was a Sega chassis and another was an MS8 both with Toshiba tubes.

If you have two you can even link them up for even more multiplayer fun.

Yes, I do have two :) but I don't link them up as I wanted a dedicated Shmups cab (which I am also in the process of building another groovymame pc)

Hard to fit a PC into them though.

That's one of the reasons I want a GTX 1050 low profile equivalent that is crt emudriver compatible.. so I can fit it in my SFF pc. I have a 1050 which I know runs the emulator quite well.

If it's in a SFF pc, it fits perfectly in the gap between the PSU and the board holder

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:45:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 02:41:02 am »
Hello.

The trick to make the demul work well is to install it on a ramdisk!
As you write the resolution of the demul that you set is that of the window, but  if you set to run demul in fullscreen will be ignored, and demul will run to the resolution of your desktop.

remember that the naomi games went to 640x480, any higher resolution will do nothing but an unnecessary upscale.

personally I run demul at 640x240 (resolution of my desktop) and to occupy the entire screen, however, must enable the stretch option.

i use demul with ati radeon hd5770 2 gb ram on an old 4ghz xeon.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:37:44 pm »
Yes, I do have two :) but I don't link them up as I wanted a dedicated Shmups cab (which I am also in the process of building another groovymame pc)

I am truly impressed with your setup, and shmups would look truly awesome on that Astro. Aren't you tempted to get another shmup machine and link those two matching Astros? Those monitors can be rotated easily enough. That would look super nice.

Yeah, I know, space...

If it's in a SFF pc, it fits perfectly in the gap between the PSU and the board holder

Sweet!

I've just used an refurbed HP Compaq 6000 Core2Duo E7500 160GB in SFF running XP64 to fit inside my own vertical cab (upright). Very similar size PC. Note: In this pic the PC next to the cab is not driving it. I'm just resting my keyboard on it while testing with Galaga! The SFF PC fits on a shelf inside the door.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:43:07 pm by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!