Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Coleco Fix It Felix | Making Cab, Artwork, and Game  (Read 14921 times)

Gruntchovski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2019, 05:25:04 am
Re: Coleco Fix It Felix | Making Cab, Artwork, and Game
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2019, 12:46:01 pm »
Hey! THIS IS AWESOME!!!

I've been DYING to make one of these cabinets with an original game for ages. I know you used a windows 10 PC and Game Maker Studio 2. How on earth did you export the game to run on Mame? and how much did that Windows 10 PC cost? I have the Tested 3d files and a 3d printer myself. Its making the game and getting it running in Mame that I can't figure out. Can you give a step by step on what you exported the game as? I've been trying to figure this out for AGES.

Thanks!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2019, 04:02:15 pm »
Hey! THIS IS AWESOME!!!

I've been DYING to make one of these cabinets with an original game for ages. I know you used a windows 10 PC and Game Maker Studio 2. How on earth did you export the game to run on Mame? and how much did that Windows 10 PC cost? I have the Tested 3d files and a 3d printer myself. Its making the game and getting it running in Mame that I can't figure out. Can you give a step by step on what you exported the game as? I've been trying to figure this out for AGES.

Thanks!

lol you're overthinking it! I didn't make the game run IN mame, it just runs from Windows. Most front ends can launch windows programs or executables, so I just exported the game using Game Maker Studios as a windows executable. Thanks for all the kind words!  :)

Gruntchovski

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2019, 05:25:04 am
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 05:35:34 am »
Really? let me ask you, what mini PC did you use? I was going to use a raspberry Pi but I've heard .exe files won't run on retropie. I also want to make sure it fits in the plastic casing I have.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 11:17:53 am »
Really? let me ask you, what mini PC did you use? I was going to use a raspberry Pi but I've heard .exe files won't run on retropie. I also want to make sure it fits in the plastic casing I have.

Rasperry pi can't run windows 10 (or at least the standard x86 version). So, it can't natively run .exe files, you are correct. You could so some sort of virtual machine but that would run like crap.

I used an actual Windows 10 pc, x86 architecture. Mine specifically was a Zotac 320 or something I think. There are other models you could use though, like the LattePanda might be a good candidate. Just make sure you have enough USB ports, is small enough, and pulls current to power what you're doing.

I have written lots more about this build on my website: https://sergiostuff.com/category/coleco-style-fix-it-felix/

GeorgeMcMullen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2019, 04:49:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2019, 07:05:48 pm »
Hi Sergio,

Your build it awesome and I love the VFD style for the Wreck-It Ralph and Fix-It Felix Jr.

Do you plan on releasing the source code to your games? It would be great to enable other people to play it and even learn from your work.

With regards to your earlier comment about MAME on Raspberry Pi playing Coleco hand-held games. You can in fact load up the most recent versions of MAME on a Raspberry Pi 3 and play the old Coleco games. It works rather well on the Raspberry Pi 3. Not so much on a Zero though. If you use RetroPie, you can install lr-mame which is the latest version of MAME with Libretro. I've also submitted an installation script to the RetroPie team for the latest MAME. The only drawback is that MAME must get compiled, which takes about 1 full day. The script handles all of the work though, so it's actually quite easy, just takes long. Anyway, I know your builds are done, so really just for future reference.

Would love to be able to play your games and take a peek at the code too. Thanks!

- George

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:47 pm »
Hi George, you wouldn't happen to be the SAME George from this forum post are you?? https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/19303/installation-of-mamedev-mame/82

If so, I've been following along and excited to see your stuff!

The game was made in GameMaker Studio 2, I'm not a good enough coder to make a game without assistance like their tools. I've done a Fix It Felix game, Wreck It Ralph game, and now working on a game called Felix's Construction Site (a clone of the G&W game Helmet). You can see my progress on that here: https://github.com/meyers980/Felixs-Construction-Site

I'm apprehensive about sharing those first two games for copyright reasons - but send me a DM or email meyers980@gmail.com and we can figure something out.

I love the handheld LCD stuff so thank you for working to make it available on Retropie!

GeorgeMcMullen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2019, 04:49:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 06:21:10 pm »
Hey Sergio!

Yes that's me. Cool to see how we've been following each other's work!

I understand your apprehension. At least Disney is not as aggressive as Nintendo, but why poke the bear. Also, it doesn't look like they've released GameMaker for Raspberry Pi yet, except for a handful of games. That's unfortunate, because your games would be perfect for the platform. I've never used GameMaker Studio, but it looks interesting. Maybe you could do a tutorial on how you made your VFD style game, but with any kind of copyrightable assets stripped out.

Thanks and keep up the very cool work!

- George