Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mini Joust Multi-Williams  (Read 5209 times)

1500points

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
Mini Joust Multi-Williams
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:57:24 pm »
Finished what will likely be the last experiment in WMS builds.

The adventure started about 8 years ago when I bought a working Joust from a flea market.

I’ve owned real Robos Joust And even restored a conversion Defender cab.

Tried a zillion different joysticks and control panel layouts.  Lots of monitors including the living room tv with an xbox 360 and custom arcade controls.

Discovered I don’t need wicos, full size cabs, or arcade crts to thoroughly enjoy joust defender and robo.  And also learned I don’t enjoy any of the other core WMS games with exception of ever seeing a working star rider again.

Hence a 4 foot tall mws configuration with leaf buttons from virtua pin, a jrok, 8way ggg leaf sticks, vinyl art, and a wells gardner flat panel arcade monitor.

That is as BYOAC as I can get on a project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
Re: Mini Joust Multi-Williams
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:46:18 pm »
That looks killer.  I bet it plays great too.  Nice job :)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:08:18 pm »
Wow looks great!  Awesome job.  Where’s the coin door? :)

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 10:39:14 pm »
I used to buy those nice little coin doors from holland computers. But the keys kept getting lost and there wasn’t much utility to them so I stopped wasting the $50.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:59:42 am »
It needs a coin door.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:31:51 am »
This was the last project I put a coin door on.  It runs a pi so there is a keyboard mounted inside the door.

If anyone is seeking new production doors I recommend that little single slot item it is very well made and works great with coins.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 10:38:08 am »
I think it looks fine without a coin door - the front panel art sets it off nicely.  Cabinets without art on the front panel look unbalanced to me if they don't have a coin door.  Just look at the picture of his Dragon's Lair cab in the previous post.  That would look unfinished with only a black front panel and no coin door.  The front panel art on his Multi-Williams cabinet does the job visually for me without needing a coin door.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:44:35 am by smass »

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 10:50:11 am »
By the way - funny that this multiwilliams is 4 feet tall just like the arcade1up machines that everyone has a polarizing opinion on.  Could you give us an idea of the total cost to build this machine?  I would assume $600-800 but it would be interesting to find out if you don't mind giving us a general estimate of build cost? 

Also, what is your reasoning for making a mini version like this?  I really like it, but am interested in why you made a mini-version vs full size.  Thanks :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:52:27 am by smass »

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 11:47:01 am »
I have been building mini machines for a number of years.  Space is the reason and “haulability”   I started by using midway and wms cabaret dimensions but then realized that scaled down upright cab profiles work great.   A 4ft by 2ft sheet of 3/4 mdf from Menards is around $10 and fits in the backseat of a small toyota car.

$600 is probably a good guess on a project that is decked out with art.  That DL has a jamma arcade setup inside with a gonbes as well as a full pi setup with speakers so it can be setup for whatever with about 45 min of reconfigging.

On ergonomics. A 4ft machine works great for adult sitting in chair or a wheelchair bound person.  It works good for kids.  And with a base under it feels just like a real cabaret machine. 

I once built a full size robo replica. It was fun to build but with the arcade crt and size it was unwieldy to move around house easily. Sold it to a friend (McVey from the Nibbler doc so some of you may have seen it on his social media postings)

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:30 am »
By the way - funny that this multiwilliams is 4 feet tall just like the arcade1up machines that everyone has a polarizing opinion on.  Could you give us an idea of the total cost to build this machine?  I would assume $600-800 but it would be interesting to find out if you don't mind giving us a general estimate of build cost? 

Also, what is your reasoning for making a mini version like this?  I really like it, but am interested in why you made a mini-version vs full size.  Thanks :)

The 4ft. size is most likely a result of the wood panels sheets being sold in 4ft. x 8ft. dimensions - so making it 4ft. makes laying it out on a single panel of wood possible (otherwise you need 2 sheets making the cost higher.) - I'd think the $600 - $800 price estimate is a bit high (though he is using original arcade PCB etc. so his build may be around that) - should be closer to half that if using either a Pi, refurb PC, 60 in 1, Pandora box.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 12:45:50 pm »
I have been building mini machines for a number of years.  Space is the reason and “haulability”   I started by using midway and wms cabaret dimensions but then realized that scaled down upright cab profiles work great.   A 4ft by 2ft sheet of 3/4 mdf from Menards is around $10 and fits in the backseat of a small toyota car.

$600 is probably a good guess on a project that is decked out with art.  That DL has a jamma arcade setup inside with a gonbes as well as a full pi setup with speakers so it can be setup for whatever with about 45 min of reconfigging.

On ergonomics. A 4ft machine works great for adult sitting in chair or a wheelchair bound person.  It works good for kids.  And with a base under it feels just like a real cabaret machine. 

I once built a full size robo replica. It was fun to build but with the arcade crt and size it was unwieldy to move around house easily. Sold it to a friend (McVey from the Nibbler doc so some of you may have seen it on his social media postings)

Thanks for the feedback - and I don't mean to derail the thread, but this discussion is pertinent to the arcade1up discussion.  Your build is far superior in quality and appearance to the arcade1up cabinets, however, it costs twice as much and requires a certain time commitment and skill level to pull off at the finished level you have achieved.  The arcade1up machine has a nice art package, similar size, half the price, and can be assembled by anyone who can put together ikea furniture.  Its just an illustration of you get what you pay for and what your skill set allows you to build.  :)

By the way - I really like the profile of your build - are you able/willing to share any of your layout files and/or schematics?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:26:27 pm by smass »

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 01:16:17 pm »
Side discussion is how real world discussion happens right.  That’s great.

Those ikea cabs will be great for what they are and people who are looking for a disposable thrill.  That is how public works with pop culture. They will sell a bunch.

I have seen the ones from target years back and they aren’t very good quality but they do fit a big audience of non arcade curious. 

I build those for the process not the finish.  When I get em done no one cares to play them they take up space and I end up finding someone to loan them out to. Hence the lineup at a church sunday school.  I don’t know the people at the church nor have I ever attended but they appreciate them.

I posted in another thread but my family is into console shelves right now.  We built one last year now the adults want one so we built another and now need to build two more ontop of that.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 01:24:03 pm »
It's good to hear someone share with others. Kudos to you 1500points.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »
That turned out great.  I usually prefer a coin door but the artwork on the front of you cab is fantastic as it is.

You need to get Lon to come and roll the score over on it.   :cheers:

Finished what will likely be the last experiment in WMS builds.

The adventure started about 8 years ago when I bought a working Joust from a flea market.

I’ve owned real Robos Joust And even restored a conversion Defender cab.

Tried a zillion different joysticks and control panel layouts.  Lots of monitors including the living room tv with an xbox 360 and custom arcade controls.

Discovered I don’t need wicos, full size cabs, or arcade crts to thoroughly enjoy joust defender and robo.  And also learned I don’t enjoy any of the other core WMS games with exception of ever seeing a working star rider again.

Hence a 4 foot tall mws configuration with leaf buttons from virtua pin, a jrok, 8way ggg leaf sticks, vinyl art, and a wells gardner flat panel arcade monitor.

That is as BYOAC as I can get on a project.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 02:30:00 pm »
Gosh that seems like a long time ago when Lon played the mame cab downtown. And you guys tried the Black Knight pin. Was that 2012?

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:26 pm »
Gosh that seems like a long time ago when Lon played the mame cab downtown. And you guys tried the Black Knight pin. Was that 2012?

Yeah 2012 seems about right.  That was a fun day and the day I decided I was getting a pinball machine someday.  Still haven't got one.  There always seems to be another bill of some kind to pay. ;D

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 12:41:34 pm »
The retro console cabinet thing has now turned into a family production.

Two families wanted the 4ft sinistar style cab for their homes with fortnite graphics.

The youngest grandson wants his food fight shelf turned into fortnite like his uncles.  And the oldest grandson is feeling left out.
So two more smaller cabs in the works.

I figured out how to get two shelf-cabs from one sheet of mdf.
Cut the sheet into three 16in strips
Shelves at 18in wide.
Sides at 16in deep, 36in tall

1 shelf at 16x18
2 shelves at 15-1/4x18
2 pieces at 9-3/4x18 for roof and brace behind lower shelves.

Sides from style of missile command and donkey kong mini cabaret style.
Measure up 22 in from bottom front.
Measure up 32 in from bottom of back.
Slope of back piece is up 2 inches over span of 8in on horizontal.
Back roof line is 10inches long.
Then connect the dots.

Bottom shelf is up 1-1/2 in from bottom so you can add 2 inch wheels.

The lower two shelves are 9-3/4 apart and boxed in with back brace.

Fits the 19in hdmi tv feom walmart that runs around $88.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 12:43:50 pm »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 12:46:37 pm »
That is a nifty idea for consoles.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 04:12:22 pm »
Got the black trim version done and slapped the smaller shelf together to check ergonomics.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 05:46:58 pm »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 02:24:39 am »
Those Cabinet shelves are a most excellent idea.  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:   

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 04:30:38 am »

Why no backplate? Can imagine looking at a wall or window through the cabinet isn't that nice...

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 08:40:29 am »

Why no backplate? Can imagine looking at a wall or window through the cabinet isn't that nice...

That’s how they wanted em. Makes it easy to feed stuff through too.  This holds a switch an xbox controller charging stand etc.  plus your eye level is above the shelves.

They will be against a wall in their homes that was just temporary in our living room.    The wife is being patient but those things have limitations. Ha