Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question CRT Emudriver and Super Resolution, Windows 10 Desktop?  (Read 7622 times)

Hamster3001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2019, 07:59:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi,

i've great results with GM and the CRT Emudriver, even a great Emulation of a 486-Machine is possible with super resolutions, which is awesome! (Dos-Games in 240p). But i've one question:

after i've installed everything and setup gm, vmmaker and arcadeosd, i can change the desktop resolution of Windows on my Sony BVM to 480i which works but also can select super resolutions for example 2560x240. But logically the screen is then streched vertically. Does anybody know of a possibility to counter this effect and therefore get the windows desktop with super Resolutions in a non distorted way, just as it works in GM? This would be great, so i could play for example steam games also in 240p :D

If needed i can provide screenshots! Thanks in advance!

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
Re: Question CRT Emudriver and Super Resolution, Windows 10 Desktop?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 03:40:51 am »
This would be great, so i could play for example steam games also in 240p :D

Just add a line for 320 x 240 @ 60 to your super res txt file and run vmmaker again.

You can have super resolutions and conventional modes installed simultaneously.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Hamster3001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:04:34 pm »
Thanks for your answer! Yes, i know this works, but to be honest (maybe just my personal view) the image looks way sharper when using super resolutions (although it is vertrically streched), so my question was actually if it is possible to get rid of this stretch when the normal desktop is shown. I mean it must be possible somehow right? Since the programs (eg. GM) can do it, i was asking myself if its not possible to achive this just with the desktop (and apps running on it).

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:22:02 pm »
I am not a crt or crt_emudriver pro, so I might not be the best person to be commenting.

Default desktop resolution should be 640x480 interlaced. I do not think windows desktop supports any lower vertical resolution.? It shouldn’t have any weird vertical stretching. If the steam game you are trying to play runs in 320x240, and you have that 320 x 240 @  60 modeline installed, it should work. I assume the same would go for super resolutions, but your steam game would have to support custom user definable resolutions. Correct me if I am wrong.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 01:13:50 am »
I do not think windows desktop supports any lower vertical resolution.?

No, it'll go lower than 640 x 480. Looks hilarious and impossible to use at times but it'll accept 240p modes for sure.

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 04:39:57 am »
I do not think windows desktop supports any lower vertical resolution.?

No, it'll go lower than 640 x 480. Looks hilarious and impossible to use at times but it'll accept 240p modes for sure.

Good to know! 640x480 is already tough on newer windows versions. Some control panel apps have a vertical height greater than available space and can barely hit an “ok” button. So I assume Hampster3001 could set desktop to a lower res for games that will not support user definable resolutions, and hope he has networking enabled to switch resolution back if needed.

Hamster3001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 09:45:41 am »
No,no, as i said its no problem to set the win desktop to lower resolutions than 480i, thats all possible, i know. But my question was if it is possible to use SUPER RESOLUTIONS for desktop / games just as groovy mame does it. If that would be somehow possible it would be great since i think super resolutions give you the best possible picture.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 07:23:51 pm »
my question was if it is possible to use SUPER RESOLUTIONS for desktop / games just as groovy mame does it.

Certainly possible, but it will mean the desktop is compressed and the icons and text are really narrow. I'm not sure there's a way around this, but then again i haven't looked for one very hard. It's possible to use it, as long as you already know where everything is :)

Hamster3001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:02:59 pm »
Exactly! That's the whole point of the topic (sorry if that was a little unclear). So if anybody knows a way to compensate this compression this would be awesome! I mean GM does it somehow maybe there is a software solution that can do it for the desktop and other apps? Something like a Image-Stretcher / or / compressor...

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 02:59:36 pm »
The feature that's required is pixel aspect ratio correction, and as far as I know the Windows desktop does not support this.

The supported scaling methods are designed to compensate for mismatches in the resolution aspect ratio, e.g. to accommodate a 4:3 resolution in a 16:9 monitor, always assuming that in both cases those resolutions in their native aspect ratio have square pixels (pixel aspect ratio = 1).

The issue here is different, because super resolutions mean extreme pixel aspect ratios (<<<1). In order to compensate for this, for instance, the OS would need to use font sizes that are much much wider than tall. This is what Arcade OSD does. Besides all icons, window borders, etc. would need to be scaled unevenly.

If anyone is aware of a way to achive this, please let us know.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Hamster3001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 08:08:02 pm »
Thanks for the clarification! But also for the ms-link, looks interesting i will definitely have a look, maybe i can come up with a solution :D