Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Exiting MAME ESC on keyboard doesn't work, can't map using TAB in MAME RETROARCH  (Read 4444 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
I'm using Attract mode as a front end etc... I'm only focused / concerned with MAME As the emulator no other systems on this build. I can't use the TAB function in MAME to set an EXIT using ESC on my keyboard, it will allow me to map virtually everything else, with the exception of exiting the emulator.

I tried setting up a HOT KEY emulator exit in Attract Mode, It exits the game but yet leaves it running in the background I can still hear the sounds of the game which is a major issue as they just keep getting layered just running in the background.

The version of MAME i'm using which is MAME 2003 / libretro in conjunction with RetroArch.

I literally just want to hit ESC on my keyboard and have it exit a game in MAME & I can't even do that, any help with this ?

Also this is running on a Raspberry Pi 3b+

Please also note I can access my pi via WinSCP so If I need to modify a .cfg file or .sh etc please let me know exactly what file needs to be modified in order for ESC key press on my keyboard to exit MAME.

I think it's something that can possibly be resolved in RetroArch ? I'm not that familiar with it. I basically need to have key binding / mapping exit MAME using ESC / Escape on my keyboard.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Go into the mame tab menu - under Input (general) - User interface - find the UI Cancel line and press enter - that will open it to set the key for cancelling out of a game ( press Escape - this first time will clear it to none - now press enter again and again hit escape and that will set it to escape again !! -- If it currently says None as the key it is because someone reset it once and cleared it but did not go back in a second time to set the key - which is most likely why it is not working now as ESCAPE is the default setting for it so most likely it was cleared at some point and never reset to escape or another keypress !

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
nope, already had that set...

UI Cancel just gets you out of the User Interface menu it doesn't exit MAME.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke