Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cruis'n USA LCD power wiring  (Read 1846 times)

eclipso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2018, 08:51:25 am
Cruis'n USA LCD power wiring
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:31:09 pm »
Hey guys, I have the LCD installed and functional using the included power cord but I want to use the adapter and wire it into the cab's power and I am no good with power so I figured I would once again ask the people who know better then me  ;D. My thoughts:

Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like Violet and Violet / Yellow are 120 volt. Grey and Grey / Black is ground.

See attachment #1

Here is the 6 pin connector with the colors matching what the diagram shows

See attachment #2

Here is the 3 pin connector with the colors White, Green and Black. Well, im confident Black is ground other then that the manual doesn't specify what they are and since they are two different type of Molex Im not certain.

See attachment #3

Couldn't figure out what the colors were for until I did some google-fu after work in attachment #4

See attachment #4

So after doing so more "research" and figuring out what the Black / White / Green are for I am thinking I go:

Black to Violet / Yellow (HOT)

White to Grey / Yellow (Neutral)

Green to Green / Yellow (Ground and I see a cut one in the wire bundle)

My uneducated thoughts, would hate to blow up my LCD wiring it up wrong to CAB power. Appreciate the help guys.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:14:19 pm by eclipso »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Cruis'n USA LCD power wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 10:42:33 am »
the purple wires are a mains isolated output meant for older monitors which require the use of a isolation transformer. (these monitors typically had a great big tag on them saying they require an isolation transformer)

you LCD is powered from a switchmode power supply, and does not require any isolation... but you can still wire it up to the purple wires that the monitor was originally connected to just fine. black/white and purple/purpleyellow doesn't matter which goes to which (since...isolated mains)...then just grab ground from somewhere (green wire connected to metal) and you are good.

you gray wires are something else...ignore them

eclipso

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:15 am »
the purple wires are a mains isolated output meant for older monitors which require the use of a isolation transformer. (these monitors typically had a great big tag on them saying they require an isolation transformer)

you LCD is powered from a switchmode power supply, and does not require any isolation... but you can still wire it up to the purple wires that the monitor was originally connected to just fine. black/white and purple/purpleyellow doesn't matter which goes to which (since...isolated mains)...then just grab ground from somewhere (green wire connected to metal) and you are good.

you gray wires are something else...ignore them

so I can go (and for my education)
purp / yellow to black
purp to white
green / yellow to green

or even

purp to black

purp / yellow to white
green / yellow to green

and ignore grey in any situation :D

is what I am understanding.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:47:02 pm »
yeppers. the isolation transformer should be able to supply enough current to drive the LCD (being that it's far less load than the original monitor.) so it shouldn't be any issues.

sometimes those monitor outputs are like 100 volts instead of 120, (because japan is 100v) but most switchmode supplies are good from 90 to 260VAC and anywhere in between. (results may vary... consult your doctor for actual power supply values.)...but normally not an issue.

eclipso

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »
Thank you Shawn appreciate the assistance.

eclipso

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 08:17:28 pm »
Spot on, now running off cab power. Again, thank you very much.