Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which joystick / button set for a tabletop arcade?  (Read 1119 times)

drabina

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2018, 04:28:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Which joystick / button set for a tabletop arcade?
« on: August 13, 2018, 07:42:24 pm »
I figured that I will ask before making another useless purchase. I bought a joystick/button/usb controller kit from Ebay but it turns out that the buttons are push type for a thin metal panel and will not work in a 3/4 inch plywood or MDF.

I guess I need the deeper buttons with thread and a nut that holds them against the panel. So my question is, what would you recommend? I do not need top of the line or the cheapest set. Something decent that doesn't break the bank and could withstand some use by kids from time to time.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Which joystick / button set for a tabletop arcade?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:02:52 am »
Real Happ controls buttons are the standard. They are the bare minimum. I make sure every game that comes through me either has real Happ buttons or has the appropriate vintage ones. Decent buttons are too cheap to scrimp on.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 12:36:18 am »
I figured that I will ask before making another useless purchase. I bought a joystick/button/usb controller kit from Ebay but it turns out that the buttons are push type for a thin metal panel and will not work in a 3/4 inch plywood or MDF.

I guess I need the deeper buttons with thread and a nut that holds them against the panel. So my question is, what would you recommend? I do not need top of the line or the cheapest set. Something decent that doesn't break the bank and could withstand some use by kids from time to time.

They can be made to work - if you just drill out the proper size hole the snaps that are there for the metal panel will push against the sides of the button hole and gravity will keep them in place - I did that with a barstick a while back and they stay in place just fine

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 04:15:35 am »
I would say Happ threaded buttons to.
They are decent buttons and cheap as chips.

You will prob need to route out the bottom of your cp for the sticks though 3/4” is pretty thick you wont have much stick coming out unless you can use extenders on it.

Maybe reduce it to 1/2”

drabina

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2018, 04:28:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 08:17:07 am »
Thanks guys. I can route the bottom if needed.

Where can I buy the Happ kit? Is there a forum sponsor that we can buy from to support the site? I am pretty new here.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:24:30 pm »
I would say Happ threaded buttons to.
They are decent buttons and cheap as chips.

You will prob need to route out the bottom of your cp for the sticks though 3/4” is pretty thick you wont have much stick coming out unless you can use extenders on it.

Maybe reduce it to 1/2”

Happ supers are fine in 3/4" wood panels. They are also my go-to suggestion if you don't know what stick you want. I have never ended up replacing a super on any game I ever got in, can't say the same for Competitions and Ultimates.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.