Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mixed artwork idea  (Read 13654 times)

yo1dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
Mixed artwork idea
« on: August 13, 2018, 06:42:45 pm »
So I am working on my rotating control panel cabinet. I thought it would be cool to have each control panel's overlay be artwork from one of my favorite games. So, I found/made vectors of a few CPOs and modified them to fit. I'm trying out Missile Command with a dash of Tempest for the trackball and spinner side, Neo Geo for the dual 8-way side, and Galaga for the 4-way side:

I think that turned out pretty well. Then, I had to come up with art for the rest of the cab. In keeping with the mixed artwork theme, I tried to find various artwork that also went well with all 3 CPOs. I am trying out a modified Robotron bezel, a Defender-style MAME marquee that I found, Missile command left side art, and slightly modified Dig Dug right side art.

I thought about using this modified Defender kickplate, but it made everything seem too busy.

I like the idea of my favorite games being represented in the artwork but I find slapping a bunch of video game charters together looks terrible (exhibit A, B, C). However, mashing up artwork from different games may look just as gaudy/silly.

What do you guys think about this direction?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:27:59 am by yo1dog »

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
Re: Mixed artwork idea
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 08:45:58 pm »
Quick addition. Some alternate T molding colors:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:22:37 am by yo1dog »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:05:40 pm »
The one thing I see that’s a positive is the fact that you keep all the elements away from each other. Normally I wouldn’t be fan of such a mash up, but I don’t think it looks bad because nothing runs into each other. Everything is on its own piece.

It’s when people put one style of art next to each other, like a ‘roided out Ryu next to Pac-Man with feet next to a Galaga ship beside Dirk the Daring on the control panel that looks pretty crappy. But surprisingly, yours actually doesn’t look too bad.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 03:35:11 am »
I like the artwork. I like the lines of the cabinet design too.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:47:26 am »
I'm glad you guys like it.

I tried to pick artwork with similar styles and colors. I am not much of an artist but what I think makes these look good together is that they are all flat, limited palette/stenciled, and share the same three main colors: red, yellow, and blue. Some green is shared by Galaga, Neo Geo, and Dig Dug.

The Missile Command CPO looks to fit with the other styles the best. Galaga looks OK. Not sure about that one on both how it fits with the other styles and the CPO itself (it looks kinda smooshed together/crowded vertically). The orangish-red color of the Neo Geo CPO may be too far off from the other reds.

I'm also somewhat concerned about the side art. First, not sure if the white sides are a good idea or if I should go with black. Second, the art doesn't seem to fit the profile of the sides. I may be able to modify it a bit but not sure.

Any ideas for games whose artwork share a similar style that I could try out?

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 10:36:43 am »
Modified the side art so it fits the cab's profile better. Original artwork on the left and modified on the right:

Edit: I feel weird modifying the original artwork; I feel like I am vandalizing it. I am thinking about trying to work something into the artwork that makes it obvious it is not the original artwork. Like getting the word "MAME" in there somewhere. I think this will also make the artwork look like it belongs to this cabinet and give it a more cohesive feel rather than looking like a bunch of artwork taken from other machines and slapped together - a Frankenstein cabinet.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:44:10 am by yo1dog »

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 11:45:01 am »
Latest version of the side art. As mentioned before, I tried to work "MAME" into both sides. I'm not super happy with it... I am pushing the limits of my (lack of) artistic skills here. Suggestions?

Old on the left, new on the right.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:29:19 pm »
I like the artwork a lot but the mame logo looks out of place. Kinda like putting a "building" sign outside your house. Yeah it's true but it's a part rather than the full thing.  If you're not gonna name the cabinet then I'd say leave the artwork without it.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:58:52 pm »
Yea I agree. I don't have the skills to match the original styles well enough for it to look like part of the artwork so it looks out of place.

Unless I get some help I will forgo adding "MAME".

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 02:01:01 pm »
Can the MAME logo.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 03:20:20 pm »
I didn't really like the Galaga CPO. It seemed squished and/or crowded vertically and the style did not fit very well with the rest of the cab. So, I have replaced it with Defender!

This matches the style of the rest of the cab much better and has the advantage of fully supporting Defender with the 2-way vertical joystick and reverse button! I am not sure if the hyperspace button directly bellow the 4-way is going to be a problem or not. I think it may or may not depending on how you hold the balltop. I will have to build a test CP and find out.

This one required much more work. First, I could not find an accurate vector image of the original Defender CPO so I had to trace it myself. Then, it was difficult to scale the artwork while maintaining the spacing and distance between the buttons. Filling the vertical space was also challenging because Defender's original CP is so narrow.

Still a work in progress but I am liking it so far.

Original and modified:

Before and After:

Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:25:38 pm by yo1dog »

sellsellsell2000

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:50:46 pm
  • Do what you love!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 10:57:37 pm »
Remember those NBA or NFL player you can stick it to wall and allows you peel on and off. Use that materials for arcade would be great.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 11:54:14 pm »
Remember those NBA or NFL player you can stick it to wall and allows you peel on and off. Use that materials for arcade would be great.

Huh? I am prob going with 3M backed vinyl.

sellsellsell2000

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:50:46 pm
  • Do what you love!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 03:50:59 am »
https://www.fathead.com/nba/u

Print your decal art and allows you to change depending on game running. Imo

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 04:47:55 am »
Nah no way am I changing out CPOs between games lol.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 05:15:01 am »
I am just going to be honest and say that I'm not a big fan of the concept. You do well with your modifications, though.  :)

The reason I think it isn't agreeing with me is that after picking up enough mutt cabinets in my past, it kinda feels like some of the half assed conversions I have seen where the marquee, side art and cpo are from 3 different games that were in the cab. I think the random passer by is gonna think that this design is unintentional or just doesn't make sense. I think you are gonna have some head scratching until you tell people what you did was your plan.

If you are gonna do a mashup - I would stick to all space games. I think defender and missile command art feel like they work together. Dig Dug is the odd man out.

Also. Don't bother with the word MAME. It doesn't add to the theme. What might help the theme is a good name that lends itself to what you are trying to accomplish.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 06:12:53 am »
Sometimes I think the MAME devs have dirt on everyone and use it to blackmail people. It is the only reason I can think of for EVERYONE trying to stick the ugly MAME logo on their cab.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 10:43:30 am »
Sometimes I think the MAME devs have dirt on everyone and use it to blackmail people. It is the only reason I can think of for EVERYONE trying to stick the ugly MAME logo on their cab.

The MAME version I downloaded contained ransomware. If I don't display their logo, they will release my internet browsing history! :P

I am just going to be honest and say that I'm not a big fan of the concept. You do well with your modifications, though.  :)

The reason I think it isn't agreeing with me is that after picking up enough mutt cabinets in my past, it kinda feels like some of the half assed conversions I have seen where the marquee, side art and cpo are from 3 different games that were in the cab. I think the random passer by is gonna think that this design is unintentional or just doesn't make sense. I think you are gonna have some head scratching until you tell people what you did was your plan.

If you are gonna do a mashup - I would stick to all space games. I think defender and missile command art feel like they work together. Dig Dug is the odd man out.

Also. Don't bother with the word MAME. It doesn't add to the theme. What might help the theme is a good name that lends itself to what you are trying to accomplish.

Appreciate the feedback! Yea, I've been struggling with the same feeling. I tried to solve it by incorporating "MAME", but obviously that did not work out well.

If I had any artistic skills I think what I would do is keep the CPOs but create custom side art, marquee, and bezel that matches the style and maybe incorporates themes from the 3 CPOs. Hmm... I might get a quote from someone on here.

Edit: Actually, it might also work if I use art from a single game for the sides, marque, bezel, and one of the control panels. For example, use Missile Command art all around. That way it would look more like a modified Missile Command cabinet with a rotating control panel and less like Frankenstein's monster.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:49:56 am by yo1dog »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 11:05:22 am »
Like a lot of people I don’t normally like collages, but I think this ones pretty good because the colors and style are carried throughout.  I bet one the talented artist here or elsewhere would be able to whip something  up that would work:

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 10:43:00 am »
Art is hard. Combining different art together is even harder. If I were to do a mix of mostly stock artwork, I would tend to focus on like art, such as a bunch of stuff from Atari or something, where the theme and art styles are similar. Even then, it would likely be prudent to do some colour matching/swapping.

A play on a cab would always be cool. Use stock art from say Missile Command, and then maybe get someone to modify the name and marquee so you can add a custom spin to make it your own without "trying to be a Missile Command clone".

I too am at an impasse with coming up with a generic cabinet art scheme that doesn't pin things into a corner. I wish you luck as I know your pain  :D

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 02:41:36 pm »
Art is hard. Combining different art together is even harder.

Yes, yes it is.

If I were to do a mix of mostly stock artwork, I would tend to focus on like art, such as a bunch of stuff from Atari or something, where the theme and art styles are similar. Even then, it would likely be prudent to do some colour matching/swapping.

A play on a cab would always be cool. Use stock art from say Missile Command, and then maybe get someone to modify the name and marquee so you can add a custom spin to make it your own without "trying to be a Missile Command clone".

I too am at an impasse with coming up with a generic cabinet art scheme that doesn't pin things into a corner. I wish you luck as I know your pain  :D

Good luck to you as well! Got a link to your project?

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 06:40:28 pm »
Art is hard. Combining different art together is even harder.

Yes, yes it is.

If I were to do a mix of mostly stock artwork, I would tend to focus on like art, such as a bunch of stuff from Atari or something, where the theme and art styles are similar. Even then, it would likely be prudent to do some colour matching/swapping.

Good luck to you as well! Got a link to your project?

yep, http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155845.msg1635904.html#msg1635904

haven't done much in a while. few links in there to some art ideas im kicking around.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 01:49:00 pm »
So I came up with a possible name/branding: Space Force! Somewhat inspired by the proposed new US military branch, but mostly I just like the name. Although, doing custom art with a theme like this image might be cool (that this is not the official logo or anything):

Here's another attempt. I went with all Defender art modified with the Space Force branding. It defiantly feels more homogeneous, but I am not sure if I love it. I don't really want a Defender cab, so I'm not sure about the dedicating the entire cab to Defender art even with the Space Force branding. What do you guys think?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 01:52:52 pm »
Space Force really sucks. Just call it defender.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 01:56:26 pm »
Space Force really sucks. Just call it defender.

Are you saying you don't like the name in general or you don't like the name stuffed into Defender art?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 02:01:27 pm »
Both. Sorry. I know I sound like a jerk sometimes. That was just my gut reaction to the name. Just pick one classic cabinet and do that artwork. It will look classic.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Mixed artwork idea
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 02:09:06 pm »
If you’re going to do “Space Force” (and I wouldn’t, it’s lame), do all new artwork. Don’t mix existing arcade stuff.

You had me at first, Dawg, but now you’re losing me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:49:12 pm by yotsuya »

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 02:22:27 pm »
Nothing wrong with being blunt. I don't take it personally.

I really like the rotating CP having different original art for each side and I liked the idea of the rest of the cab matching by sporting different art. But, I have tried the modified and mixed original artwork a couple different ways now and none have turned out great. I think you are right and I either need to go all original and matching art or all custom. At least for the sides, marquee, and bezel.

Hmm. I'll keep thinking on it. It's probably time to bring in an actual artist. Even if it's just consulting/helping me come up with ideas. I'm just fumbling around here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 02:28:45 pm »
Thanks for having a backbone. IT isn't personal.

I think I made two other people cry today. It is freakin' annoying.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 05:19:39 am »
Nothing wrong with being blunt. I don't take it personally.

I really like the rotating CP having different original art for each side and I liked the idea of the rest of the cab matching by sporting different art. But, I have tried the modified and mixed original artwork a couple different ways now and none have turned out great. I think you are right and I either need to go all original and matching art or all custom. At least for the sides, marquee, and bezel.

Hmm. I'll keep thinking on it. It's probably time to bring in an actual artist. Even if it's just consulting/helping me come up with ideas. I'm just fumbling around here.

Thanks for the feedback.
I guess if you want to have different art for the control panels, you might want to consider really neutral side art. So all the control panels will match the rest of the cabinet.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 01:13:53 pm »
I personally kinda dig it! I think people are naturally going to draw conclusions on the name, but to be honest it reminds me exactly of what an 80's space game would be named, so thematically I really like it. From Space Harrier to Space Ranger, anything starting with "Space" I am usually going to like.

I think you did a great job modifying the defender logos, the only thing I would experiment with is a way to make the whole thing more unique to you. Maybe experiment playing with the color pallet to make the side art red white an blue, or thow in something subtle to make it a bit more space forcey.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 01:29:19 pm »
Space Herpes.

I need to watch The Ice Pirates again. It has been a long time. I will probably be disappointed.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 05:24:32 pm »
I guess if you want to have different art for the control panels, you might want to consider really neutral side art. So all the control panels will match the rest of the cabinet.

I had this in mind when deciding on the art for the CPOs. I tried to pick art that had similar colors and design so they could match the other art.

to be honest it reminds me exactly of what an 80's space game would be named, so thematically I really like it.

I thought the same! It is purposefully kinda corny. Maybe it should be "Mega Space Force", "Super Space Force", or "Space Force Alpha" :lol

I think you did a great job modifying the defender logos

Thanks. I'm not so bad with the technical aspects when it comes to things like modifying art. Sometimes I can copy styles OK. I'm not good at creating anything from scratch, though.

the only thing I would experiment with is a way to make the whole thing more unique to you. Maybe experiment playing with the color pallet to make the side art red white an blue, or thow in something subtle to make it a bit more space forcey.

That's exactly the problem I have been trying to solve. I want the art to represent the games and have a classic, reminiscent look. But at the same time I don't want it to look like a conversion cab or some kind of Frankenstein cab with a hodgepodge of art. I'll try out your idea and mess with the colors.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 04:17:37 am »

I had this in mind when deciding on the art for the CPOs. I tried to pick art that had similar colors and design so they could match the other art.

to be honest it reminds me exactly of what an 80's space game would be named, so thematically I really like it.

I thought the same! It is purposefully kinda corny. Maybe it should be "Mega Space Force", "Super Space Force", or "Space Force Alpha" :lol

I think you did a great job modifying the defender logos

Thanks. I'm not so bad with the technical aspects when it comes to things like modifying art. Sometimes I can copy styles OK. I'm not good at creating anything from scratch, though.

the only thing I would experiment with is a way to make the whole thing more unique to you. Maybe experiment playing with the color pallet to make the side art red white an blue, or thow in something subtle to make it a bit more space forcey.

That's exactly the problem I have been trying to solve. I want the art to represent the games and have a classic, reminiscent look. But at the same time I don't want it to look like a conversion cab or some kind of Frankenstein cab with a hodgepodge of art. I'll try out your idea and mess with the colors.
I would honestly go with your first idea. Imo it looks good and it was what you actually wanted... And I personally like the white side art.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 09:26:53 am »
I agree with homeboy Barry. I think you’re starting to overthink it.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 01:29:04 pm »
Space Herpes.

I need to watch The Ice Pirates again. It has been a long time. I will probably be disappointed.

I thought it was ok when I first saw it in highschool.
this post made me search it up and watch again.
I think I liked it better the second time.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 01:45:38 pm »
Just a small FYI -- the defender Diamond on the side art has 1 yellow stripe lined up at the top with the bottom of each letter in the Defender Name on the original art - so if changing to Space Force you need to also adjust the yellow stripes to add a couple more stripes to keep it uniform   :cheers:

robertmillard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2018, 12:38:46 pm
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 06:04:55 am »
This is brilliant, you've done a great job!

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 02:13:00 am »
I've done some tinkering on the art these past few weeks (in addition to some experimenting on the hardware side). Here's the latest:

As you can see I have dropped the Space Force idea and have gone with a nearly complete Defender theme. The Missile command right side art is the last major hold out and remnant of the mixed artwork theme. I am on the fence about it. I like the idea, but not sure.

The bezel was inspired by the Williams Multi bezel and is a combination of the Robotron and Defender bezels. I like this better than the straight Defender bezel because I feel like it... defines? outlines?... the space pretty well. Here's a closer look at that:

You may notice a button at the bottom left of the bezel. Considering putting that there as a menu/"shift" button. Not sure.

I've tweaked the CPOs as well:
I finished the Defender CPO and threw in an "Inviso" button to support Stargate.

On the Missile Command CPO I moved the spinner from the far right to closer to the center and changed the white trackball to black to match the original Missile Command. I also pulled the design in away from the edges some.

On the Neo Geo CPO I removed the 8th button above red. 8 just looked like too much. Too busy. Also unnecessary. You also get a better feel of the original Neo Geo 4 button layout.

Speaking of the Neo Geo CPO, it doesn't fit the rest of the space theme. However, I can't think of any 2 player space games I could use the art from. Any suggestions?

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:19:54 am by yo1dog »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 02:01:27 pm »
Much better! Keeping everything to a separate panel/space is the key to this working