Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I can't get used to the idea of joystick on the left  (Read 1414 times)

drabina

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2018, 04:28:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I can't get used to the idea of joystick on the left
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:50:19 pm »
I am looking to build a tabletop arcade machine and looking at all the tutorials, images and plans, I just can't get used to the joystick being on the left. I have two USB joysticks that I use for older games on the PC and I always control them with the right hand. Left is used for the button(s).

Would there be anything wrong if I put the joystick on the right? By being a noob, am I missing something obvious?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:30:15 pm
Re: I can't get used to the idea of joystick on the left
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 03:31:41 pm »
Build YOUR OWN Arcade Controls.

You can do whatever you want!

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 04:24:04 pm »
The main problem with doing it reverse is that you make a game that no one but you can properly play. Left side is direction, right side is buttons has been the standard since 1984, even before then there were not a lot of exceptions other than the Atari 2600 console. It also actually made sense on the 2600 because it only had a single button (see the rules below).

More specifically the real rule is that controls are set up so that the right hand does the fine controlling and the left hand does the simpler control. That is why analog flight controls, trackballs, and one button games all put the directional controls in the right hand.

I suggest putting the joystick in the middle and putting the same buttons on both sides of it, that way when you go to show it off to someone else they will actually be able to play it.

In any case don't bother trying to make a two player machine with the controls reversed, because like I said before, no one else will be able to use the thing but you. I can play Pac-Man or Galaga with right hand on the stick, but as soon as the game wants a second button I am no longer capable of playing it with the reversed controls.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

drabina

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 04:32:05 pm »
Thanks guys. I am planning on installing only simple games from 8-bit systems like Atari (Boulder Dash, PacMan, Montezuma's Revenge, etc). Back in the days, I have used joystick with one "fire" button to control all those games. Always with the joystick controlled by the right hand that's why positioning it on the left is a bit awkward. I guess I should go to an arcade place to see if I can play PacMan with my left hand. If it doesn't feel awkward on the real console, the problem may just be in my head.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:46:35 pm »
Can always play with your arms crossed so that you have the joystick in the right hand and buttons in the left  :cheers:

But yeah if you need them on that side just place the joystick in the center and mirror the buttons on both sides. Figure many of the older simpler games did that - for example Dig Dug

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 05:06:58 pm »
I concur with JD and Paige. Center your joystick, buttons on either side, and it’ll be good for everyone.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

drabina

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 07:31:14 pm »
I am assuming that the corresponding buttons on each side will be wired to the same port on the USB controller, correct?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 07:33:31 pm »
Yep, wire them in parallel.
%Bartop

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 04:55:08 pm »
If you're using MAME, you can assign more than one button to an action.