Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: For arcade emulators is the Logitech G29 a mistake?  (Read 8492 times)

jacko1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2021, 07:25:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
For arcade emulators is the Logitech G29 a mistake?
« on: August 13, 2018, 03:23:26 am »
For a racing cabinet to play MAME/Model2+3/TeknoParrot and maybe some native PC games is the G29 better or worse than the G27?  Full story below.

I want to build a 2 player racing setup to run a variety of games, MAME, Sega Model 2/3, the recent arcade dumps like Mario Kart DX and Sega Racing Classic and such (TeknoParrot), and also maybe some native "modern" PC games too.  I assumed the G29 was basically an update to the G27, and that being newer it would mean better support for newer PC games with little to no difference when it comes to the emulated and arcade dumps stuff, so basically it would be fine for both old and new games.  Also we have PS4s so it opened even more possibilities.

However as I've read some stuff here I'm starting to wonder if the G29 is actually a mistake.  For example, is it true G29 software has no profiler functionality to launch different settings profiles when different EXEs are launched?  That sounds like a big problem for running all these different types of games, I mean yeah you still need to config for each game (side note, why don't people share configs for the popular wheels?) but at least having the profiler do some of the work for you when you launch different EXEs seems like quite a bit of help.

If anyone wants to share their thoughts I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
Re: For arcade emulators is the Logitech G29 a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:04:54 am »
I have 4 x g29's so I feel im qood to answer this question.

The G29 technically is identical to G27 really, same sensor, same ffb motor and gear driven ffb etc. However G29 has horrible drivers and software compared to G27

What i did to get around this issue was use software called Gimx to emulate my G29 as a G27.

You need make a little circuit board or buy one already made however for this which is a cheap device but it can be a hassle to setup at first etc, and if you are only wanting to have ONE device on your pc, it would require another pc or raspberry pi etc ($$$)

I brought 4 G29's for my 4 x cabs as it's hard to get different wheels in my country and yes, G29 software etc sucks. Windows sees all 4 wheels as G27 wheels now and I have all the profiler options back etc as a result but it's honestly a hassle etc and if you have the money I would go for something else if given the choice again.

G29 and G27 etc were good wheels back in the day, but there are much better wheels out there now. Far superior FFB (belt driven ffb) etc, less noisy etc and better sensors, It will do the job, but G29 is not a awesome wheel

jacko1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:27:28 pm »
I have 4 x g29's so I feel im qood to answer this question.

The G29 technically is identical to G27 really, same sensor, same ffb motor and gear driven ffb etc. However G29 has horrible drivers and software compared to G27

What i did to get around this issue was use software called Gimx to emulate my G29 as a G27.

You need make a little circuit board or buy one already made however for this which is a cheap device but it can be a hassle to setup at first etc, and if you are only wanting to have ONE device on your pc, it would require another pc or raspberry pi etc ($$$)

I brought 4 G29's for my 4 x cabs as it's hard to get different wheels in my country and yes, G29 software etc sucks. Windows sees all 4 wheels as G27 wheels now and I have all the profiler options back etc as a result but it's honestly a hassle etc and if you have the money I would go for something else if given the choice again.

G29 and G27 etc were good wheels back in the day, but there are much better wheels out there now. Far superior FFB (belt driven ffb) etc, less noisy etc and better sensors, It will do the job, but G29 is not a awesome wheel
Thank you, I guess I didn't do enough research.  We purchased 2 G29s and I believe one might be returnable still, however it was a good price and G27s only popup occasionally in my area, so I'm not sure which way to go with that.  I still have one G27 though, so that's half the battle.  Also I know the G27/G29 are the lower end of the spectrum, but the other options I looked into were too expensive.

I've looked into the GIMX in the past before I got a G29.  I do have extra Raspberry Pis that are really just sitting around.  I don't know if I'd want to do the DiY, and the pre-made being in UK will end up actually quite expensive.  Of course as you say, a hassle too.

Not sure what I will do now, thanks for the reply.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:23:04 pm »
Bugger. I have had one of these stashed away in the cupboard waiting for my next build which I have just started.  :hissy:

Boomslang, does it still work in basic functionality? as I dont mess around with the profiler on my other cabinets and was hoping I would not need to on this one, specifically its a Daytona 3 build.

Thanks
Gene

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »
Yea it will still work guys, I've been using g920 pretty much on my coding pc for past few months etc. It's just not as good drivers as g27 etc

jacko1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 11:22:42 pm »
Does the G29 software at least have manual user created profiles you can switch between?  Or does it rely entirely on the games to handle settings? 

I know a G29 can be made to work with all this stuff, but I also know configuring wheels for emulators and all this stuff is already quite a lot of effort and troubleshooting, so I'm wondering how much more so with a G29 vs a G27.  Is it reasonable to setup a box that plays all these different kinds of games on a G29?  Or am I dreaming? :)

Do the other more expensive wheels out there have automatic profile software that can detect EXE launched?  I don't think I wanna spend more but might be good to know my options.

Thanks everyone.  I imagine I will be around this forum a lot as I work on this project.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 12:46:29 am »
Yea it will still work guys, I've been using g920 pretty much on my coding pc for past few months etc. It's just not as good drivers as g27 etc

I have just started my Daytona 3 build. Any hints and tips to make the g29 work for just that game? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacko1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
I finally got around to trying the G29 and it looks like it does have some kind of profiler that detects when a specific EXE or group of them is running.  I've been testing it with different wheel degrees settings and it seems to work.  Maybe I was confused as I thought lthat kinda profiling was not available G29.  I don't know how many user created profiles it supports, there's only a few "spaces" in the software but I haven't tested yet what happens if you fill them all.

If someone can go a bit deeper on the G29 vs G27 that would be very useful at this point as I might still be able to get a G27 near me and I'm not far into configuring at this point so I can easily "turn back" :).  Since the G29 is newer I should probably just put it aside for modern games and go G27s for this project, IF I can still get that one, but I'd love to hear more opinions.

SmooveJMY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2021, 11:31:06 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 01:40:09 pm »
I have a G29 which replaced my G27 for my racing rig.  While I preferred the profiler software for the G27, the Logitech Gaming Software -- at least the current version, which I just updated this week -- seems to work fine in terms of profiles per exe file.  I've been able to use the G29 with Supermodel, Model 2, MAME, and Teknoparrot without much trouble, although it took a bit of work to get the ini file right for Supermodel as I recall.  I was also able to run Daytona 3 on it after a lot of configuring (less for the wheel than the game itself), and with Boomslang's FFB plug-in it's working great now.

So I wouldn't feel like the G29 won't work for you, if that's what you're worried about.  I switched to the G29 so I could also connect it to my PlayStation 4 for VR racing, but honestly I haven't done much of that yet because I've been spending my time with the 90s arcade racers.

jacko1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 04:58:27 am »
I have a G29 which replaced my G27 for my racing rig.  While I preferred the profiler software for the G27, the Logitech Gaming Software -- at least the current version, which I just updated this week -- seems to work fine in terms of profiles per exe file.  I've been able to use the G29 with Supermodel, Model 2, MAME, and Teknoparrot without much trouble, although it took a bit of work to get the ini file right for Supermodel as I recall.  I was also able to run Daytona 3 on it after a lot of configuring (less for the wheel than the game itself), and with Boomslang's FFB plug-in it's working great now.

So I wouldn't feel like the G29 won't work for you, if that's what you're worried about.  I switched to the G29 so I could also connect it to my PlayStation 4 for VR racing, but honestly I haven't done much of that yet because I've been spending my time with the 90s arcade racers.
Thanks.  Yeah as I've gotten further into it I'm finding it's OK, the profiler seems to work properly for the different EXEs.  So far I've only tried with games that run through Teknoparrot, about a dozen or so.  I do have Daytona 3 running when launched standalone but haven't tried that Xbox 360 controller emulation mapped to the G29 thing yet.  I also plan to add Supermodel eventually.  I also haven't attempted to use Boomslang's FFB plugin, I don't wanna add anymore complexity until I'm closer to being done.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 04:59:05 pm »
I am using the G920 which in theory is the same as the G29 on the inside.

Running great in Daytona 3 with boomslangs ffb mod and a few tweaked ini's and xboxce mapping the inputs.

Just started messing with Sega Rally 3 and works straight off the bat so its a thumbs up me.
Cheers