Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need comments and criticism on my cabinet plans.  (Read 6172 times)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Need comments and criticism on my cabinet plans.
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 11:00:10 pm »
Make the base deeper so the panel doesn't stick out as far (lower front panel moves forward). It should be free to do as far as wood goes and it makes the cabinet more stable. I think it might help the cabinet lines too.

Also, if you want to take those cuts to the next level, look at a Joust, same basic shape but it rounds it all off and looks better.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

FALSE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 11:21:39 pm »
Make the base deeper so the panel doesn't stick out as far (lower front panel moves forward). It should be free to do as far as wood goes and it makes the cabinet more stable. I think it might help the cabinet lines too.

Also, if you want to take those cuts to the next level, look at a Joust, same basic shape but it rounds it all off and looks better.

So your saying make the 24" base like 26"?
I thought a little more overhang would give me more clearance for not smashing my hand into the monitor when I blast a shot on Golden Tee lol.

My original plan had just a 4" overhang from the front.
What's a "good"amount of overhang?

EDIT
And yes, I'll probably round the corners. Just wanted to get something thrown together in sketchup tonight.

EDIT AGAIN
Didn't expand the base but pushed the CP in 2 inches and changed the angle of the monitor area so I have the same depth CP as before.
Also took a bit of inspiration from the joust cab and got rid of the hard corner under the CP. Will still probably round a lot of the corners, just didn't want to mess with modeling them right now.

EDIT NUM 3
Here's another version. 26" depth. Still a 4" overhang for the CP. Made the angle piece under the CP a little longer. CP is now deeper, 12ish" rather than 10ish" like before. Gives me a little more room for blasting the trackball.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:47:12 pm by FALSE »

1500points

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 12:45:33 pm »
Pine control panels are good and solid and easy to swap.

A 1x6 is 3/4 by 5-1/2.
Etc.
If you design around that you won’t have to cut it skinnier which is a time saving convenience.

I would suggest not skimping on cp depth since it is nice to be able to lay a palm on the panel for some games.  Maybe at least a 1x8 to allow for future adaptations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk