Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Seeking help troubleshooting a sony 20L5 with crt_emudriver  (Read 2081 times)

flwns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2018, 08:11:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Seeking help troubleshooting a sony 20L5 with crt_emudriver
« on: August 12, 2018, 06:13:57 pm »
Hi, I am extremely new to this site, so pardon me if this is out of line, but I have found very little help elsewhere on the internet regarding this issue. So I'm hoping that somebody here will be able to enlighten me on possible solutions.

So what exactly is my objective?  Well simply put, I have a Desktop computer and a Sony PVM-20L5, I want to use the 20L5 as a third monitor.

So what's the problem? 
First off, my signal path is this

PC running Win7x64 outputting VGA via an AMD Radeon HD 6450  >>(VGA)>>  Extron RGB 201rxi  >>(RGB+Sync)>>  Sony PVM-20L5

The problem I'm having with this is with the quality of the video being displayed on the 20L5,  It shows up at the specified resolution (640x480) but the colors are way off and the screen will vary wildly in its brightness when windows and similar things are opened on the screen.

Here are some pictures and a video to illustrate.
https://imgur.com/a/fBYeTaE , (sorry for the upside down video)

As you can see things are not right. There is this magenta hue over everything, and green "stuff". 

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? What is this problem called?  What are some things I could try to fix this issue?

If someone out there is willing to help, I will provide any additional info neccessary.

Thank you.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Seeking help troubleshooting a sony 20L5 with crt_emudriver
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:40 pm »
The magenta hue is what happens when you feed any set RGB and it's set to process YPbPr, so check that the PVM is set to RGBS? That set has digital control, and jumps to various presets depending on the resolution/mode it's receiving. Setting it to RGB in one spot doesn't stop it jumping to another preset. Will probably fix the green too...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:03:21 pm by buttersoft »

flwns

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:28:37 am »
The magenta hue is what happens when you feed any set RGB and it's set to process YPbPr, so check that the PVM is set to RGBS? That set has digital control, and jumps to various presets depending on the resolution/mode it's receiving. Setting it to RGB in one spot doesn't stop it jumping to another preset. Will probably fix the green too...

Ah yes, thank you that definitely helped sort out some of the color problems.  But now I'm running into an issue where dark regions and "streaking" will appear, as well as discoloration when the screen "fills up" with content

Here are a couple images of the problem as it stands, https://imgur.com/a/LYp3idQ

I also included some screenshots of my settings from the vmmaker tool included with crt_emudriver

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 01:49:33 am »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157220.0.html

These monitors have some known quirks. I don't think this is a fault so much as it being your settings or just the way PC's like to output video signals. Do consoles look the same, or only the PC has a problem, and at what resolutions?

A better place to ask about this is possibly on the shmups hardware forum - i've seen similar threads there, so use the search function and see what you can find.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:55:32 am by buttersoft »

flwns

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 02:33:34 am »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157220.0.html

These monitors have some known quirks. I don't think this is a fault so much as it being your settings or just the way PC's like to output video signals. Do consoles look the same, or only the PC has a problem, and at what resolutions?

A better place to ask about this is possibly on the shmups hardware forum - i've seen similar threads there, so use the search function and see what you can find.

Thank you so much for linking that thread, from there I was able to navigate over to this post on shmups https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1318978#p1318978

The post I specifically linked mentions changing a value within the 20L5's service menu (different than the normal menu) called "CLP P DLY",  mine was at 200, i started to increase it's value from 219-220 there was a black and white difference in the streaking/discoloration problem, I decided to leave mine a healthy dose over at 230.  Hopefully that solves the issue, forever!

For any future readers, to access the service menu, click the normal menu button on the right side panel, then once it's open click ENTER + DEGAUSS simultaneously.  The "CLP P DLY" value is located within the "LEVEL-1" menu entry

Thanks again Buttersoft, I have had this problem on my mind for over a year now lol.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:40:58 pm »
YW, it was blind luck, really. I haven't had to deal with a 20L5 myself, but it's interesting to hear this problem is do with the clamping level. Gives me some ideas for another set i'm having trouble with. Thanks for finding the fix, i'll link to the other thread on here.