Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PVM picture centering and sync issues  (Read 2420 times)

orangemonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2018, 06:30:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PVM picture centering and sync issues
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:59:23 pm »
Hi!

I recently started to use CRT_emudriver and GM with a PVM 1953MD and they have worked very nice so far. The only issue I am getting is that the picture is shifted to the right and I can't center it (
) . I've tried changing the HFrontPorch, HSyncPulse and HBackPorch values, but I lose sync every time i modify them. I also use the PVM to play on some consoles, so I would prefer not to use the service mode to center the picture.

I am using the Arcade 15.7-16.5 kHz profile, but Arcade 17.5 kHz and Generic 17.5 kHz gave me the same results. My video card is a HD6850 and I am using Csync with an VGA to BNC cable.

Any advice? Thank you very much and sorry for the bad English, my first language is Spanish.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: PVM picture centering and sync issues
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 04:22:30 am »
Use Arcade OSD, it has centering options, then grab the values with the "Copy modeline to clipboard" option, and use them in GroovyMAME.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 05:01:00 am »
I also use the PVM to play on some consoles, so I would prefer not to use the service mode to center the picture.

You'll be able to change the H centering of GroovyMAME using the method Calamity advised but if you struggle to get your consoles centered with each other then an Extron processor will help.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

orangemonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2018, 06:30:35 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 02:55:13 pm »
I solved the issue. I wasn't disabling and re-enabling the EDID emulation. It is perfectly centered now, thanks!

HiroWorship

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2018, 01:49:13 am
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 02:25:55 am »
I'm curious as I want to try to center the image on my PVM as well - does this mean that in order to center the image using ArcadeOSD I need to turn off EDID emulation first, make the edits, and turn it back on?
Also, if I "copy modeline to clipboard" using ArcadeOSD, where do I paste it? mame.ini?
I am using modelines generated by VMMaker, if that matters.

Thanks very much!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:29:41 pm »
does this mean that in order to center the image using ArcadeOSD I need to turn off EDID emulation first, make the edits, and turn it back on?
Also, if I "copy modeline to clipboard" using ArcadeOSD, where do I paste it? mame.ini?

EDID enabled means you can centre every mode bar the one in the EDID, which is 640x480@30i for the desktop. It won't hurt to turn it off and turn it on again, i guess. You can always use the 640x480@60i instead, if it doesn't give you problems.

You copy down the three values you need. Below is the arcade_15 range line, showing where the values go in the mame.ini file's crt_range0 line. These are the values for HFrontPorch, HSyncPulse, HBackPorch respectively, and you can find them in ArcadeOSD when editing. Your values will be different, remember.

crt_range0  15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 192, 288, 448, 576

This sets your range line in mame.ini. The other option is to take those new horizontal timing values, edit monitor.ini and redo VMM to setup your modelines again with the new values. IF find the former works best for me. And for specific machines or games you create neogeo.ini or ffight.ini files in the mame/ini directory, if needed, with the range line adjusted.

HiroWorship

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2018, 01:49:13 am
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:29:26 pm »
Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, buttersoft!
I will give this a try.

Much appreciated!

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 10:37:32 pm »
You copy down the three values you need.

I always take a photo of the CRT with my smartphone once I've got everything right in arcade_osd (my handwriting has been in steady decline since my early 20s).

My phone is like a library of settings for all the CRTs I run in my arcade cabinets. :)
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter