Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help getting my old fightstick working on PS4  (Read 3654 times)

Zanatar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 06:12:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need help getting my old fightstick working on PS4
« on: August 11, 2018, 01:43:46 pm »
I'm hoping someone has some knowledge on Fightsticks and the accessories out there .

I own a "Street Fighter IV FightStick Tounament Edition" made by Madcatz. This is for PS3 (non wireless one).
I would really love to use this fightstick for DragonBall Fighter Z on the PS4. 

I know there are accessories out there that exists (Adapters etc).. But there are a lot of inferior products or non legit ones.
Does anyone have a good feel for these adaptors, and could tell me exactly which one I should get, for my fightstick to work?

I've been told to check out the Brook Converter's PS3 to PS4.   I was shown this particular one on Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/Gam3Gear-Brook-Converter-Controller-Adapter/dp/B01J4KEFGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533993555&sr=8-1&keywords=brook+ps3+to+ps4

Do you think it's worth getting? Is that a good product? Considering it's $54.99. That's a fair chunk of change.
Is it reliable and effective?   Will it for sure  work with my particular fight stick too?

At that price, I'm wondering if I'm just better off getting a new fight stick? For example Hori Stick Mini is only $10 more at $64.99.. ie: here's the link:

https://www.amazon.ca/HORI-Fighting-Stick-Mini-PlayStation/dp/B014KXMEW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533993697&sr=8-1&keywords=Hori+Fighting+Stick+Mini

I know it's up to me.. But that's why I'm asking, trying to get people's opinion. I'm pretty sure my fight stick ie: "Street Fighter IV FightStick Tounament Edition" made by Madcatz , is a much better fight stick, then the Hori Stick mini, even though it's much older and wired etc.

So if that Brook Converter actually works as advertised, and I'll be able to use my own Fight stick again, then I think that's the way to go.  OR is there a better product I should consider?

Thank you so much in advance,
Zanatar.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Need help getting my old fightstick working on PS4
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:58:08 am »
Brook are pretty much the leaders in controller adapters.
Hori also make excellent fight sticks but most “pro” players will mod them with after market sticks etc anyway to their own tastes.

Zanatar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 11:56:45 am »
Thanks for the reply. 

So would you say this is the one I'd need: 

https://www.amazon.ca/Gam3Gear-Brook-Converter-Controller-Adapter/dp/B01J4KEFGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533993555&sr=8-1&keywords=brook+ps3+to+ps4

There are many different ones that show up on Amazon.   It's hard to tell which are legit or not..   not to mention, I'm worried I pick one that isn't exactly what I need for my situation.

Thanks.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:12:16 pm »
My suggestion would be to go to a different marketplace.  If there's one thing I've learned, it's that niche products are always at least 10-20% more on amazon than brand new on ebay.

I only use amazon when I have gift cards or something like that.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 02:00:55 pm »
My suggestion would be to go to a different marketplace.  If there's one thing I've learned, it's that niche products are always at least 10-20% more on amazon than brand new on ebay.

I only use amazon when I have gift cards or something like that.

^this figure for example the same item you linked for $46 on EBAY ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gam3Gear-Brook-Super-Converter-PS3-to-PS4-Controller-Gaming-Adapter-with-Gam3/292654565672?epid=17009500825&hash=item4423924928%3Ag%3AwuwAAOSwbrRbWAG4&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=Gam3Gear+Brook+Super+Converter+PS3+to+PS4+Controller+Gaming+Adapter&_from=R40&rt=nc )

Zanatar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 08:37:05 pm »
I get what your saying.. Price isn't the issue as much...  It's more making sure that is the correct product for my exact situation.   Would you say that is the right one for me to get, to get my particular fighting stick to work on PS4?

Thanks.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 08:54:18 pm »
Personally I would consider just getting a ps4 stick.  You are nearing the price of a decent mayflash fight stick and unless you are super serious about fighters that would do for most people.  I don't think there is a right answer in terms of adapters.  Since PS4/PS3 gamepads use a proprietary protocol, there isn't such thing as an official adapter and thus those things tend to be a little hackish.  That doesn't mean they won't work, but they might have odd quirks or introduce lag, ect. 

Zanatar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:28:50 pm »
I guess it's because I've payed a good deal of money for that  "Street Fighter IV FightStick Tounament Edition" made by Madcatz..   I think it was around $250 when I bought it. 

It's a top end fight stick.. as it's descibed,  uses the exact Sanwa joystick and 30mm buttons found in official Street Fighter IV arcade machines etc.

Would be a shame to not use it.. It's in perfect condition.  Buying a new fight stick would be a waste.   As long as the adapter does the trick.

Zanatar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:35:20 pm »
Also, here is what has me concerned..  On the Amazon page.. in the product description it says: 

"IMPORTANT:Please check the compatibility of the product at the brook official web site before you place the order because NOT all the brand or models of the controllers / wheel / Joystick are compatible with the brook adapter.It does not support headset or headphone . "

I figured you guys would know this.  Do you know if this product is going to be compatible with my  stick?  I did check the official brook site.. I'll check again, but I don't see a compatibility list.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 12:00:12 am »
Like I said, all of those adapters are kind of sketchy. 

You might want to see if there is a drop-in replacement board instead.... just unplug the current board and put a new on in it's place.  Shouldn't damage the fight stick in any way. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 04:10:29 am »
Brook sell a interface board.
You could just buy one of those and stick it in your fight stick.

Thats what I did with my old Hori, I changed out the sticks and buttons for ones of my choosing and stiluck a brook board in it.

Works great on KOF for the PS4.

Zanatar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 06:12:36 am »
I'm not very good with hardware.   I wouldn't be comfortable doing that switch of boards.   Plus how do I know which board to get etc?   

I think this whole board  thing delves into a realm a bit too complex for me.      Why do you say the adapters are sketchy?  As long as I get the right one.   I mean logically the board in my existing fight stick, is 100% good.  It's just the interface that the PS4 doesn't recognize right?  hense why a adapter should be all I need?

I apologize for my indecision . I'm just trying to make the right decision in the end, given regardless of the option I choose, it's going to cost me at min $50.   So I want to make sure I choose correctly.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:21 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 07:02:50 am »
If you are not comfortable with hardware, you should trust Howard to know what he is talking about with the adapters. He knows this stuff.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 11:34:02 pm »
Thanks man. 

Here's the thing.  You can absolutely get an adapter and it'll work, but it'll also introduce lag.  Considering you bought one of those ungodly expensive deluxe sticks I would think that you'd care about lag.  If you aren't comfortable with unplugging wires from the controls and plugging them into the board then we really can't help you.  The stuff is pretty plug and play so I don't think you'd have any issues.  Controls are just switches.... two wires and polarity isn't an issue so you can't really hurt anything if you plug it in the wrong way.  All this stuff can be returned.... if you get a board and it doesn't work well send it back or if you want to try an adapter first have at it and return that if it doesn't work the way you want. 

The best way to learn is to try.  You'll undoubtedly make mistakes along the way, but that's how you learn and you can always ask for help here and we will try to accommodate you. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 09:34:21 am »
Thanks man. 

Here's the thing.  You can absolutely get an adapter and it'll work, but it'll also introduce lag.  Considering you bought one of those ungodly expensive deluxe sticks I would think that you'd care about lag.  If you aren't comfortable with unplugging wires from the controls and plugging them into the board then we really can't help you.  The stuff is pretty plug and play so I don't think you'd have any issues.  Controls are just switches.... two wires and polarity isn't an issue so you can't really hurt anything if you plug it in the wrong way.  All this stuff can be returned.... if you get a board and it doesn't work well send it back or if you want to try an adapter first have at it and return that if it doesn't work the way you want. 

The best way to learn is to try.  You'll undoubtedly make mistakes along the way, but that's how you learn and you can always ask for help here and we will try to accommodate you.

This ^