Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dualshock 4 compatible arcade sticks & buttons.  (Read 1542 times)

Hasa92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2018, 03:19:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Dualshock 4 compatible arcade sticks & buttons.
« on: August 11, 2018, 01:10:15 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm planning to build a custom arcade for the first time.

I'm planning to build an arcade cabinet with both a PC and a Ps4 inside. There is just two problems.

First of all everything else is pretty much just like building a regular arcade machine with the exception of the controls. You see the Playstation 4 uses it's own controller Dualshock 4 and it doesn't support other kind of controllers. I need to make an "dualshock 4" arcade sticks buttons but i don't how to trick the console.

Except maybe i could open up an actual Ds4 controller, extend the wires to the arcade panel buttons & sticks.

Or use some kind of an adapter.

Then there is the other problem. I'm planning to have 2 arcade sticks, 17 buttons and a touch panel, since that is what the Ds4 controller has after all.
So when i'm using the arcade cabinet with my Ps4 there is only buttons for 1 player.

Here's an very artistic image on what it would look like, prepare for to be amazed with my photoshop skills.

But when the PC is being used, those same inputs are actually 2 separate controllers, left ones for player 1 and right ones for player 2, the touch panel isn't being used there.

So... how do i actually do this? What kind of wiring do i need to do this without needing to open the cabinet and fix the cables and whatnot every time i wan't to change the system i want to play with?

Any ideas? Suggestions, tips, anything?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Dualshock 4 compatible arcade sticks & buttons.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:21:17 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm planning to build a custom arcade for the first time.

I'm planning to build an arcade cabinet with both a PC and a Ps4 inside. There is just two problems.

First of all everything else is pretty much just like building a regular arcade machine with the exception of the controls. You see the Playstation 4 uses it's own controller Dualshock 4 and it doesn't support other kind of controllers. I need to make an "dualshock 4" arcade sticks buttons but i don't how to trick the console.

Except maybe i could open up an actual Ds4 controller, extend the wires to the arcade panel buttons & sticks.

Or use some kind of an adapter.

Then there is the other problem. I'm planning to have 2 arcade sticks, 17 buttons and a touch panel, since that is what the Ds4 controller has after all.
So when i'm using the arcade cabinet with my Ps4 there is only buttons for 1 player.

Here's an very artistic image on what it would look like, prepare for to be amazed with my photoshop skills.

But when the PC is being used, those same inputs are actually 2 separate controllers, left ones for player 1 and right ones for player 2, the touch panel isn't being used there.

So... how do i actually do this? What kind of wiring do i need to do this without needing to open the cabinet and fix the cables and whatnot every time i wan't to change the system i want to play with?

Any ideas? Suggestions, tips, anything?

Short answer, You dont.  firstly the thumbsticks are analogue, so you would need to use analogue joysticks.  Using buttons for the thumbpad is a silly idea just put a 4 way joystick on there,
The layout looks like the most uncomfortable layout you could possibly manage.

Go buy a couple of the pc/ps4 compatible fightsticks and use those. Something like this  You can swap out the joystick and buttons for something better if you like.  I'm sure that there will be cheaper versions on wish/aliexpress or whatever.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8368847?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:200291570|agid:12525670250|tid:pla-407962234494|crid:66128558090|nw:g|rnd:6423618855129406185|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9045013&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtb_bBRCFARIsAO5fVvFwHnaOBN2LTR4DCNXf2JFkD7ly0X__JRLHB07DTiTqn1CA2JJVuQcaAlMZEALw_wcB

If you want to play a PS4 game that isn't supported with the fight sticks then bust out some DS4's and use them.   

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:17:15 am »
 :laugh2:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:13:22 pm »
This is a joke post right?  That can't be real. 

Hasa92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2018, 03:19:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 03:12:58 pm »
No I really am serious, the pic was meant to be funny but that's it, I really do want to make the control panel compatible with the PS4.

I really have no experience with the components inside and that's why I'am seeking help here.

Short answer, You dont.  firstly the thumbsticks are analogue, so you would need to use analogue joysticks.  Using buttons for the thumbpad is a silly idea just put a 4 way joystick on there,
The layout looks like the most uncomfortable layout you could possibly manage.

Go buy a couple of the pc/ps4 compatible fightsticks and use those. Something like this  You can swap out the joystick and buttons for something better if you like.  I'm sure that there will be cheaper versions on wish/aliexpress or whatever.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8368847?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:200291570|agid:12525670250|tid:pla-407962234494|crid:66128558090|nw:g|rnd:6423618855129406185|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9045013&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtb_bBRCFARIsAO5fVvFwHnaOBN2LTR4DCNXf2JFkD7ly0X__JRLHB07DTiTqn1CA2JJVuQcaAlMZEALw_wcB

If you want to play a PS4 game that isn't supported with the fight sticks then bust out some DS4's and use them.   

I have thought about just getting one of those arcade sticks but the problem is that all of them seem to only have 1 analog stick and most of the games i wish to play really need both sticks. I also thought about just using regular Ps4 controllers but I really don't want to do that if as long as it's possible to do what I'm planning to do.