Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hardwiring a softswitch computer case to a cab  (Read 3100 times)

Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
Hardwiring a softswitch computer case to a cab
« on: June 13, 2002, 10:52:15 am »
Greetings Everyone,

Does anyone happen to know how to hardwire a softswitch computer case so when you power on your cab your computer also powers on?

Thanks,

Jack
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: Hardwiring a softswitch computer case to a cab
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 10:59:08 am »
I assume you mean when you turn on the power strip? or some master control switch?

Now that computers use atx it isn't a flip switch anymore, doesn't that suck in arcade cabinets!!

Well, there's the relay method.  It is on someone in the examples section that did this.  You hook a relay circuit to the power strip switch which connects to the switch on the computer.  Not connecting to the computer is really easy.  You should see where the power switch plugs into the motherboard.

This is asked quite abit, do a search here for other answers.  This should go somewhere on byoac site like in tech & tips.

Elkor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2007, 12:42:50 pm
  • What did I just say?
    • Full Circuit
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 11:22:16 am »
I believe that if you jumper the atx switch pins, the computer will power on/off on the application or removal of AC power (via the back switch or powerstrip)
The sudden sight of me causes panic in the streets. They have yet to learn
-- only the savage fears what he does not understand.
                -- The Silver Surfer

Skeleton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2002, 05:45:22 pm
    • Skeleton's Arcade
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 06:44:42 am »
The ATX power supply will not turn on until the motherboard pulls the PS_ON signal low.

Some motherboards allow you to set a automatic power on after power failure. By enabling this feature when you turn the cabinet on via via your main power switch (powerstrip) the PC will come on automatically.

If your BIOS doesn't have this feature you need to pull the PS_ON signal low yourself. The PS_ON signal is pin 14 (green wire) of the ATX power connector. The best way to do this would be to remove this pin from the connector (you can probably do this using a needle, paper clip, or other sharp pointed instrument) and connect it to one of the GND pins (black wires) on the ATX connector (pins 3, 5, 7, 13, 15, 16, or 17). This will tell the power supply to be on all the time so whenever AC power is applied it will turn on.

Hope this helps.

SteveJ34

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 12:29:40 am
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 08:23:49 am »
Greetings Everyone,

Does anyone happen to know how to hardwire a softswitch computer case so when you power on your cab your computer also powers on?

Here's a couple of links that might be helpful. This was a topic of discussion just a few short weeks ago.

http://home.bendcable.com/werstlein/

This takes the approach of wiring a pushbutton switch to the computer. Then, as the computer is powered on, it fires a relay which will in turn powerup a power strip.

This is the route that I took. I didn't do a full power outlet, I just wired the relay directly into my power strip in place of its power button.

If you have already wired a switch to apply power to the cab and wish for the computer to fire up when that is enabled, then you will need to take the approach of enabling boot on power restore in your bios or the hardwire the atx power supply.