Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: X-Arcade Modding Will Sanwa snap in buttons work?  (Read 2890 times)

ValentinoX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 02:47:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
X-Arcade Modding Will Sanwa snap in buttons work?
« on: August 06, 2018, 12:57:26 pm »
Looking to mod my X-arcade tank stick.  Anyone know if the Sanwa snap in buttons will work, or do I need the screw in type?

Also I'm guessing I need a different mounting plate to get the Sanwa joysticks in there?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: X-Arcade Modding Will Sanwa snap in buttons work?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:37:15 pm »
You should really just start from scratch at this point. The only solid upgrade to x-arcade stuff is high quality American/Euro style controls. The Japanese stuff is all designed for metal panels and the sticks have both different bolt patterns and are wired differently.

Also, don't blindly jump into those controls if you don't know what you are doing, they are an acquired taste at best, not feeling like anything you were ever used to using.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:11:58 am »
Looking to mod my X-arcade tank stick.  Anyone know if the Sanwa snap in buttons will work, or do I need the screw in type?

No, the mounting holes for Japanese buttons are larger than the American style buttons that the x-arcade comes with.
Neither will work unless you enlarge the holes.  I'm not sure if there is enough room to.

Pretty sure this is the adapter plate you would need for the joystick, but verify with the vendor.  (I built my own out of 1/4" ABS)
https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/hardware/mounting-plates/paradise-universal-plates/1280_universal-il-arcade-joystick-adapter-plate?search_query=adapter+plate&results=160

I put sanwa JLFs in my x-arcade and hated how light the springs were.  I described them as "dainty".
I have them in a full cabinet now, but have spent a ton of money modifying them into what feels right to me.
(silent optical switches, round restrictors, stiffer springs, different mounting plates, different ball tops)

EDIT: Seems I made a post about the adapter plate: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,106307.msg1126516.html#msg1126516
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:14:42 am by BadMouth »

ValentinoX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 02:47:56 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:02:21 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

Any suggestions for American/Euro parts joys/buttons that would work in the x-arcade that might have a similar feel to the Street fighter 2 CE/Hyper fighting (in the US) original arcade controls (or be an improvement on that).

I read another post that indicates that the full length screw in buttons are a bit "long" for the x-arcade and so maybe short stem variants are better if you don't want to have to rework stuff.  Did you notice anything similar?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:05:26 am »
Well, the parts already in there are a knockoff of the parts I'd recommend, so they aren't that different.
I wouldn't spend the money unless you want different color buttons.

Happ Super joysticks.  For the buttons, some sellers like groovygamegear and focusattack offer different switch options if you must upgrade or want different colors.
The x-arcade buttons are only a quarter inch shorter.  I don't think it will make a difference.

I'd stay away from convex buttons.  I have them and on games that use more than 3 buttons, I find myself looking down at my hands more often to get them back in position.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:57:27 pm »
I'd stay away from convex buttons.  I have them and on games that use more than 3 buttons, I find myself looking down at my hands more often to get them back in position.

This man speaks the truth.  I've got a SFIV arcade stick that I'm sure will be worth a lot someday because I've barely taken it out of the box over the years.  It's fine for beat-em-ups or shooters, but I can't play MK or SF on it for the life of me.  The thing is, I think a lot of people get them because most of the console joysticks on the market come from outside the US and thus use Japanese style controls. 

woosdom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2020, 12:48:51 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 03:04:51 pm »
Very good advice.  The only thing I’ve changed in my x arcade dual stick is the encoder. I switched out the x arcade pcb with a cheap xin-mo. Just easier for me when I hook it up to other pc’s