Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dual single player cab, two players?  (Read 4153 times)

TZC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2018, 02:03:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Dual single player cab, two players?
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:52:08 am »
Hey all I was wondering, if anyone could help me.

If I ever get around to making a cab, it's got to be something unique. And I like the idea of a dual, single player, two player.  :lol

It would give the players a little more room each, the full width is 3'2 1/4. The monitors would display the same game for two players or run a different games attract screen on the two player monitor when I'm playing alone. Either as another mame instance on a single PC that I could actually play, or prefab video if it has to be - as some extra nostalgic immersion. Having one cab doesn't seem enough. I've been thinking about making one for 17 years. I feel like it and I would be lonely.

If I made something like the picture below running two 24" vertical monitors, is it possible to setup what I'm talking about in mame?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Dual single player cab, two players?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:00:21 am »
Yeah it can be done.

I used to have a cocktail cabinet with a similar setup.

Ime not sure how you would go about running a game on p1 screen and attract mode on p2 though.

Think that would be a real headache to get to work properly for when p2 wants to join in.

TZC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:29:55 am »
Thanks for the reply, Yes I understand I think.

I wouldn't need to switch between the two different options often. I guess around 90% of the time I'd be on my own on this thing. But the question is could a 2nd player joystick become another 1st player joystick, if set up to be ?! I'm making my own head hurt already.

Maybe I should stick to one player, and a video XD

Nice cab btw

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 08:34:56 am »
That is a waste of space. Just make a 2p cab. It will take up less space and less materials. It will also be easier to setup the software.

TZC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 08:43:25 am »
But I clearly can't be bothered to make a 2p, it hasn't happened in 17 years

I like the idea of a miniature arcade. Sure it's not for everyone. But not a waste of space to me. To get two cabs to compensate would be a waste of space and materials in my case. 

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 11:25:39 am »
You are not making any sense.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:38:52 am »
Here's a 4 player example.

It was a fun project! It hasn't been played in a very long time, though.
%Bartop

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 11:53:28 am »
Thanks for the reply, Yes I understand I think.

I wouldn't need to switch between the two different options often. I guess around 90% of the time I'd be on my own on this thing. But the question is could a 2nd player joystick become another 1st player joystick, if set up to be ?! I'm making my own head hurt already.

Maybe I should stick to one player, and a video XD

Nice cab btw

Shouldn't be too hard to do just need an AB selector switch for the second Display and wire the second CP to both systems (either with a selector switch also or directly wired to both - if directly wired it will send player 2 input to the first system also when running in player 1 on second system but shouldn't cause problems since the first system will be playing a 1 player game ( though it might coin up when you coin up the second system - so probably best to put a selector switch on it also) - That way when it is in position A it clones the video from the first system and second system controls are  player 2 on the first system - when in position B it has video from the second system and controls on 2nd system are player 1 on second system.

TZC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 12:54:45 pm »
You are not making any sense.

I get the impression you didn't read the words in my opening post and just looked at the pictures. Yeah, Neph, I saw that long ago :D Cool, but it wasn't so much about using dual screens with a 2-4 player game more about trying to use player 2s joysick intermittently as another one player stick which brings me to-

Shouldn't be too hard to do just need an AB selector switch for the second Display and wire the second CP to both systems (either with a selector switch also or directly wired to both - if directly wired it will send player 2 input to the first system also when running in player 1 on second system but shouldn't cause problems since the first system will be playing a 1 player game ( though it might coin up when you coin up the second system - so probably best to put a selector switch on it also) - That way when it is in position A it clones the video from the first system and second system controls are  player 2 on the first system - when in position B it has video from the second system and controls on 2nd system are player 1 on second system.

That's a real help and something to look into thanks!

Edit: I suppose as long as I don't mind (and I don't) keeping it messy, just remapping the p2 buttons and joystick to P1 on a separate version of mame and switching the 2nd display via wireless mouse would do the trick, after all I said it will be iether or. I don't need it to switch on the fly nicely. Hm.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 01:43:29 pm by TZC »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 01:03:06 am »
Quote from: TZC
Yeah, Neph, I saw that long ago :D Cool, but it wasn't so much about using dual screens with a 2-4 player game more about trying to use player 2s joysick intermittently as another one player stick which brings me to-

Yet all 2 player and single player games on the Beast are played how you described...  ::)

What is the point of having 2 players play 2 different games on one machine at the same time? Chances of that happening are probably less than half as likely as any 4 player mame rig being played by 4 players...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:06:35 am by Nephasth »
%Bartop

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 08:25:30 pm »
Sounds terrible... lets do it.  :dizzy:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

TZC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 11:09:15 am »
I don't think it sounds terrible. It sounds amazing

BlueGhost

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2023, 07:30:46 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 03:00:41 pm »
I think it could be done fairly easy with 2 keyboard encoders, 2 computers running MAME, and a KVM switch.  Take system #2's keyboard encoder and map it to player 2 inputs, then map MAME's player 1 controls on system #2 to be standard MAME player 2 inputs.  So when cabinet #2 is in slave mode it's monitor is a clone of cabinet 1 and its keyboard encoder shows up as a 2nd keyboard with player 2 controls mapped, then when it is run independent it the cabinet 2 uses its own copy of MAME, controls and monitor.  Most KVM switches have a button combination to make them switch from A to B, something like Shift+F1, this could be programmed into a spare input on the encoder.

It could possibly be done with multiple instances of MAME running on one system, but I think two separate systems would be easiest.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 01:02:50 pm »
Have to share this one. For sale in France right now for 500€  ;D
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 02:36:10 pm »
Start with the single player single cab, and if the need arises to have a second player, make the second single player. Just feed the controls over from the first cab along with the split video signal. When you have the second cab have the option of working alone and in tandem it opens a lot more issues then setting everything up "versus city" style.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.