Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The CONCERT Discussion Thread  (Read 64298 times)

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: The CONCERT Discussion Thread
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2018, 03:37:04 pm »
Some friends took us to see Steve 'N' Seagulls last night.  I had never heard of them before.  They are a bluegrass band from Finland that plays 80's and 90's metal.  A great time was had by all.

You just sent me down the YouTube rabbit hole with that one. Here's some Iron Maiden:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2018, 04:01:08 pm »
Some friends took us to see Steve 'N' Seagulls last night.  I had never heard of them before.  They are a bluegrass band from Finland that plays 80's and 90's metal.  A great time was had by all.

You just sent me down the YouTube rabbit hole with that one. Here's some Iron Maiden:

Ha! I went down the same rabbit hole when we got back from the concert.   

I was also just listening to Iron Maiden at my desk.   :cheers:

JulesWallet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 01:23:24 pm
  • Is the Popeye still available
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2018, 05:02:56 pm »
Went to go see The Mighty Mighty Bosstones a few months ago.

Then the Pixies and Weezer last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2018, 06:30:41 am »

Hard Rock as I've seen. They are good. Look straight out of the South....or what has been portrayed of the deep South.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2018, 10:01:15 am »
Taking my daughter to see Panic! at the Disco on January 18.  Should be fun.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2018, 11:15:05 am »

Hard Rock as I've seen. They are good. Look straight out of the South....or what has been portrayed of the deep South.

Yeah they are great.  I'd see them again if they come back this way.

Taking my daughter to see Panic! at the Disco on January 18.  Should be fun.

My kids were into them but we never got around to seeing them for some reason.  They seem like they would be a great live show.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2018, 05:59:29 pm »
Just saw Blitzen Trapper this weekend. Incredibly underrated band.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 11:04:38 am »
Saw Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band last night at a quintessential dive bar.  Good times.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2018, 01:02:20 am »
In case anyone thought I was being cheeky about in-ear-monitors, most big-name bands use them instead of a 'backline' of speaker stacks (and amplifiers). IEM systems are inexpensive enough many people are using them.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2018, 09:10:06 am »
Went to see William Elliot Whitmore and Murder by Death the other night.  It was a great show, I'm a big fan Whitmore and have seen him several times, but knew nothing about Murder by Death going in.   I left being a big fan of Murder by Death, they have a cool vibe and a great cello player!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2018, 11:33:27 am »
Such a poor choice for a band name given the style of music they play.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:01 pm »

Ohh, I think not.....

"Murder by Death is a 1976 American satirical mystery comedy film with a cast featuring Eileen Brennan, Truman Capote, James Coco, Peter Falk, Alec Guinness, Elsa Lanchester, David Niven, Peter Sellers, Maggie Smith, Nancy Walker, and Estelle Winwood, written by Neil Simon and directed by Robert Moore."

"Murder by Death is an American...indie rock band from Bloomington, Indiana. Their name is derived from the 1976 Robert Moore film of the same name."

They sound cooky like the movie seems....

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2018, 09:36:22 am »

Ohh, I think not.....

"Murder by Death is a 1976 American satirical mystery comedy film with a cast featuring Eileen Brennan, Truman Capote, James Coco, Peter Falk, Alec Guinness, Elsa Lanchester, David Niven, Peter Sellers, Maggie Smith, Nancy Walker, and Estelle Winwood, written by Neil Simon and directed by Robert Moore."

"Murder by Death is an American...indie rock band from Bloomington, Indiana. Their name is derived from the 1976 Robert Moore film of the same name."

They sound cooky like the movie seems....

I was wondering if their name was based on the movie (which I wouldn't call the "Robert Moore film" as much as the "Neil Simon film" - it would be nothing without his outstanding writing.)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2018, 10:08:17 am »
Saw three bands last night...

Fellow hobbyist AtariMatt:

Vaporwave guy Daniel Deluxe:

And headliner Dance with the Dead:

I think I might be chock full of  *A E S T H E T I C* for awhile.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2018, 07:34:45 pm »
I actually think a trend in the next few years will be a massive shift in the way we get exposed to music, with people sick of how "popular" music is fed to them through radio and multimedia and go out and find it themselves through internet searching and finding out more about their local music scene.  People aren't going to be trading tapes any more because of changing times, but the digital equivalent will become more prominent the more people get fed up or frustrated with the current system. I already see it emerging as "cool" to dislike the radio music and many are turning to digital jukeboxes that scan their taste in music and intelligently suggest other bands and artists they may like. I hope the live music industry goes back to more local live music as it was in the 70s and 80s.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2018, 11:04:15 pm »
Definitely, dude. I've been to concerts now where 90% of the crowd discovered the band on Spotify. Or they're 20 and went down a pandora  rabbit hole and ended up amongst old people like me seeing some early 80s band.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
This is a great point.  I've found several "new" artists via Pandora.  This has lead to concert and CD purchases that would not have happened otherwise. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2018, 12:19:24 pm »
Definitely, dude. I've been to concerts now where 90% of the crowd discovered the band on Spotify. Or they're 20 and went down a pandora  rabbit hole and ended up amongst old people like me seeing some early 80s band.

The rabbit hole is a big one for me.
I probably only listen to FM radio a few times a year and it's a station that plays 90's alternative and weird folky stuff.
I have no idea what top 40 radio sounds like.  If it weren't for the stupid tabloid blurbs on the internet, I wouldn't have any idea who those artists are.

I've been a Rhapsody (now rebranded as Napster) subscriber for almost a decade.
Whenever I hear about a national touring band playing nearby, I give them a listen on Napster.
If I like them, I click on the similar artists tab and give those a listen, then the similar artists on those artist pages.
A few of the bands I'd like to see live disbanded years ago.  :lol  :'(

I also end up giving more things a chance because I don't have to financially invest in their album to listen to it.

Was invited to see Nels Cline a few weeks ago (wasn't familiar with his music). 
Ran into a guy I knew there who said most people were there to see the keyboardist, who I'd also never heard of.
Next thing you know I'm listening to acid jazz. (Medeski, Martin, & Wood)

Going to see Pavlo Simtikidis tomorrow and John 5 on Sunday.
Hopefully John 5 gets me out of this weird easy listening vibe I've had going on for the past few weeks.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2018, 02:14:41 am »
.....if people didn't spend their time working, would they listen to less music?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2018, 09:17:55 am »
.....if people didn't spend their time working, would they listen to less music?

If I weren't tied to a desk, I'd stop listening to podcasts altogether.

I'd enjoy the music I listen to more if I weren't working while listening to it.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2018, 10:52:27 am »

If I weren't tied to a desk, I'd stop listening to podcasts altogether.

I'd enjoy the music I listen to more if I weren't working while listening to it.

I miss listening to podcasts and audiobooks. When I joined here, I worked at a job where I didn't have to really interact with anyone, just processed thousands of scanned documents per day. Now I work for the state and have clients (so walk-ins, phone calls, emails, etc).

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2018, 04:57:30 pm »

The rabbit hole is a big one for me.
I probably only listen to FM radio a few times a year and it's a station that plays 90's alternative and weird folky stuff.
I have no idea what top 40 radio sounds like.  If it weren't for the stupid tabloid blurbs on the internet, I wouldn't have any idea who those artists are.

I've been a Rhapsody (now rebranded as Napster) subscriber for almost a decade.
Whenever I hear about a national touring band playing nearby, I give them a listen on Napster.
If I like them, I click on the similar artists tab and give those a listen, then the similar artists on those artist pages.
A few of the bands I'd like to see live disbanded years ago.  :lol  :'(

I also end up giving more things a chance because I don't have to financially invest in their album to listen to it.

Was invited to see Nels Cline a few weeks ago (wasn't familiar with his music). 
Ran into a guy I knew there who said most people were there to see the keyboardist, who I'd also never heard of.
Next thing you know I'm listening to acid jazz. (Medeski, Martin, & Wood)

Going to see Pavlo Simtikidis tomorrow and John 5 on Sunday.
Hopefully John 5 gets me out of this weird easy listening vibe I've had going on for the past few weeks.

Sounds a lot like me.  I am ALWAYS on the lookout for new music and thanks to Spotify I've found a ton of it over the last few years.  I find a band I like and then go to the "Fans Also Like" tab and start listening to those bands.  I can't get enough.  Even if 9/10 aren't albums or bands I will go back to regularly, it is worth it for the 1/10 that I end up loving.  I just discovered Turnover a few months ago and I can't get enough of their 2 latest albums.  Last year it was The War On Drugs.  So many bands and so little time.

In concert news, I may be continuing my pop punk showgoing next summer... Twenty-One Pilots will be in NJ in June and my daughter wants to go soooooo.....

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2018, 05:37:38 pm »
My son brought me to see 311 at Red Rocks in Colorado. This was last April, also playing was Method Man, Redman and Prof.

First time seeing 311, love their music and the show was great. They are all business when playing, I mean it sounds dang near like the studio version. 
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2018, 10:29:07 pm »
As a lifelong fan of Jeff Lynne and ELO I'm extremely pumped that we have tickets for their tour this summer.  They toured last year and I completely missed out on it.  Here is the list of dates in case anyone else is interested.

https://jefflynneselo.com/events/

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:06 am »
I saw Cheech Martin and Tommy Chong in Reno.

Going to miss Tommy Chong...
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2018, 09:51:54 am »
Going to miss Tommy Chong...

He's still very alive and quite active on Twitter.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2018, 03:18:07 pm »
I saw Cheech Marin

Like Marin County.

@Ginsu Victim: isn't that weird? Similar to Abe Vigoda, though he is gone.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:30 am »
Panic! At The Disco tomorrow night...  I'm looking forward to it even though the setlist doesn't really have a lot of songs I like.  I have been listening to them for the past week so that I'm not going in blind (and I can seem kind of sort of cool to my daughter) and the first 2 albums are far and away the best ones.  The setlist is mostly new stuff.  Oh well.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2019, 01:04:29 pm »

in Tulsa, OK tomorrow night!!! I can't wait!!!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2019, 01:57:50 pm »
 :angry:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2019, 02:52:15 pm »
@Ginsu Victim

I haven't updated yet, but I did go to the Spokane washington Metallica concert beginning of December. It was awesomenerasfrig.  the things they had going on in the video "boxes" over the stage was some great work... I actually spent a great amount of time watching them. there was some pretty neat computer controlled mini drones during "moth into flame", and some great lighting/pyro work.

I was a little meh about the comedy pre-show with Jim Breuer instead of a musical opener,... but it turned out to be pretty good and he was fairly interactive with the crowd.

afterwards, James, Lars, Rob, and Kirk actually came to the Centennial Hotel (where we were staying)  to do some promotional thing giving away a pile of money to the foodbank. there was camera crews and security and a shitpile of people hovering around, so we just watched from the top floor foyer.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2019, 02:59:28 pm »
@Ginsu Victim

I haven't updated yet, but I did go to the Spokane washington Metallica concert beginning of December. It was awesomenerasfrig.  the things they had going on in the video "boxes" over the stage was some great work... I actually spent a great amount of time watching them. there was some pretty neat computer controlled mini drones during "moth into flame", and some great lighting/pyro work.

I was a little meh about the comedy pre-show with Jim Breuer instead of a musical opener,... but it turned out to be pretty good and he was fairly interactive with the crowd.

So pumped! They've been killing it during this tour and making more of an effort to play well than on some of their previous tours over the last 20 years. It's a small venue, so even our nosebleed seats still appear to be decent.

Driving 3 1/2 hours there, then back afterward. The weather is supposed to get ---smurfy--- and drop 30-40° while we're there. That's the only part I'm not looking forward to.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2019, 03:09:28 pm »
the spokane arena setup was pretty small too. we were in the front row of the upper deck about 45 degrees off axis and had a great view of the entire stage which they plopped right in the middle of the rink. our seats where off the left of this pic after the orange railing.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2019, 03:25:39 pm »
the spokane arena setup was pretty small too. we were in the front row of the upper deck about 45 degrees off axis and had a great view of the entire stage which they plopped right in the middle of the rink. our seats where off the left of this pic after the orange railing.

We're going to be upper deck in the corner...last row. :lol The view at least appears to still be good.

When the tickets went on sale, we had really good seats picked, but the damn website crashed while checking out. By the time we got back in, they were gone (needed four seats together). Had to pay more for worse seats on stubhub.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2019, 02:55:41 pm »
we needed 4 tickets too. I found out if we joined the "fifth member" metallica fanclub they had presale code tickets so you could buy before they went public sale. got the presale code for the event and bought tickets with zero issue.

I tried to get tickets for when they came to edmonton 2 years ago. sold out in seconds. wasn't about to pop for 6000 worth of tickets on scamhub either. that's when i found out about fifth member club.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2019, 10:29:46 pm »
we needed 4 tickets too. I found out if we joined the "fifth member" metallica fanclub they had presale code tickets so you could buy before they went public sale. got the presale code for the event and bought tickets with zero issue.

I tried to get tickets for when they came to edmonton 2 years ago. sold out in seconds. wasn't about to pop for 6000 worth of tickets on scamhub either. that's when i found out about fifth member club.
Fifth Member said it was limit two and we wanted to make sure we were together, otherwise I totally would've bought them that way.

BTW, the Tulsa concert was ---smurfing--- great!!! I can't wait to see them again in the future!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2019, 11:16:25 pm »
my friend and I just coordinated and bought 2 sets of 2 next to each other simultaneously to get the 4 tickets. worked out pretty good.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2019, 04:19:18 pm »
Going to see Bauhaus Friday night. Very chuffed!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2019, 05:00:13 pm »
Going to see Bauhaus Friday night. Very chuffed!

Bruh.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2019, 07:48:31 pm »
I've been alerting every old goth I know. You and I will be concert Eskimo brothers.