Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The CONCERT Discussion Thread  (Read 64307 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
The CONCERT Discussion Thread
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:42:51 am »
Anyone been to anything good recently?  So far this summer I've been to:

- Imagine Dragons (@PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ).  Way better than I expected.  We took the kids and went with a few other families and everyone had a blast.  I didn't think I'd know a single song but it turns out I knew a bunch of them.  I guess they are so popular that the music is unavoidable.  Kind of bland and forgettable though so I will not be listening to them going forward but at least they put on a fun show.

- Radiohead (@MSG in NYC).  One of the best shows of my life.  Radiohead is probably my favorite band so this was a real treat.  Great set list and the band was energetic.

- Smashing Pumpkins (@PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ).  This one was just last night.  The first 1/2 was absolutely sick.  Hit after hit after hit and Billy Corgan can still shred a guitar with the best of them.  He was great.  Seeing Jimmy Chamberlain on drums was amazing too - those 2 are just magic together.  The last 1/2 of the show was weird to say the least.  They brought out a bunch of "special guests" and played mostly covers.  Courtney Love came out and they did 2 Hole songs (that I think Corgan actually wrote back in the 90s) but she was a mess.  it was more sad than anything.  Then Mark McGrath came out and they sang "Fly" (Sugar Ray) and "Breaking the Law" (Judas Priest).  There were more.  Not what I was expecting but the first 2 hours was worth it.

I'm trying to line up the next show.  My son came with me to SP last night and we had so much fun. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:45:03 am by javeryh »

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: The CONCERT Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:02:19 am »
I was going to see Avenged Sevenfold and Prophets of Rage with my son this month, but the tour was cancelled.  :P

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:13:27 am »
I was going to see Avenged Sevenfold and Prophets of Rage with my son this month, but the tour was cancelled.  :P

That would have been awesome.  They were supposed to be near me earlier in the week (Tuesday, I think).  If you can't sing I guess you can't tour.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:26:02 am »
Some years we don't make it to any concerts but the past year has been unusual.  So far we have seen ZZ Top, Fitz and the Tantrums, Buckethead, Foster the People and Brit Floyd.  We are going to see Earth, Wind and Fire in a couple of weeks. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:28:06 am »
How was Buckethead? was he in the mood to play?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:48:54 am »
Some years we don't make it to any concerts but the past year has been unusual.  So far we have seen ZZ Top, Fitz and the Tantrums, Buckethead, Foster the People and Brit Floyd.  We are going to see Earth, Wind and Fire in a couple of weeks.

yeah same here.  Lots of years we don't go to any but this year has been different.  Now that the kids are older it makes it so much easier.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 11:58:03 am »
I saw Buckethead (@ Jergels north of Pittsburgh) a few months ago.  Was a phenomenal show, but started 40 minutes or more late.

Jack White (@ a LiveNation outdoor venue)  All LiveNation outdoor venues suck, so had to be dragged there.  Was meh, mostly because of the crappy sound quality of the venue.
The older I get, the more I stick to smaller "big box" clubs.

Sponge at a motorcycle event that was rained out.  Was blown away.  They were on point and have an excellent back catalog to fill a show.
Since there weren't many people there, it felt like a small private party that somehow managed to book a big name band.  Best show I've seen so far this year. 
It's a shame they're not still filling bigger venues.

Might go see Collective Soul and 3 Doors down at a county fair tonight, depending on the weather.

Will add more later.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 12:01:27 pm »

yeah same here.  Lots of years we don't go to any but this year has been different.  Now that the kids are older it makes it so much easier.

Same here about the kids.  Also now that my dad has passed away I've taken my mom to a few concerts that I would not have otherwise attended.  Brit Floyd being the most recent example.  They were phenomenal and I'd see them again.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:15:58 pm by wp34 »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 12:06:03 pm »
Haven't seen them this year, but if The Marcus King Band plays near you, go see them.
All them kids have an obscene amount of talent.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 12:06:34 pm »
Buckethead was a very good show but I must admit I didn't know what I was in for.  I've listened to his music for years and was expecting more of a Jeff Beck type experience.  I didn't realize the dude stays in character 100% of the time.  He does not speak either.  Almost no interaction with the crowd.  It made for a very odd concert experience---particularly for my wife who was unfamiliar with his music.  Also I was expecting a full band and he just showed up with his guitar, a roadie and backing tracks. 

Having said that I did have a great time and enjoyed the show.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 12:13:57 pm »
He auditioned for Ozzy. He wouldn't take the mask off. He didn't get hired.
When he recorded Chinese Democracy with Guns and Roses, he demanded that he record from a makeshift chicken coop in the studio. They complied.

Dude is messed up.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 12:25:17 pm »
Almost no interaction with the crowd.

Interesting.  At the show I went to he handed out presents (toys, packs of baseball cards, etc) and let different people in the crowd strum the guitar while he worked the cutout button.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 12:33:54 pm »
Almost no interaction with the crowd.

Interesting.  At the show I went to he handed out presents (toys, packs of baseball cards, etc) and let different people in the crowd strum the guitar while he worked the cutout button.

He did that for our concert.  That was the "almost" part.   ;D

I had never been to a concert where the performer said nothing.  He used a recorded voice and a chicken puppet to announce the intermission.  Even at the symphony the conductor talks about the next piece they are going to play.   

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 01:03:41 pm »
Actually done pretty good on the goth/industrial front this year.

I saw Clan of Xymox and hands down that guy is probably the best live show in the genre.

Then Houston got this weird show with 4 bands for $15.  So I knocked Grendel and Covenant off my list.  Paid an extra $15 to get a photo with the singer of Covenant, but hey I've been stealing his albums for 20 years.

This weekend, Jon Mikl Thor is doing a free concert in Houston.  Got my tickets ready to go.

:lol

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 01:27:10 pm »
Went and saw Flogging Molly / Dropkick Murphys co-head tour.  Good as always.

Not really a concert but my wife and I went and saw the Suicide Girls Burlesque tour earlier in the year also.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:29:13 pm by jdbailey1206 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
The CONCERT Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 01:46:02 pm »
I’m going to this show at the end of the month. Very chuffed, Missing Persons and A Flock of Seagulls are two of my favorite Nee Wave bands...

Next month, it’s going to be Culture Club and The B-52s.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 02:10:25 pm »
I saw Slayer and Anthrax a couple months ago. Great show, but the sound at venue sucks.

I hope to see Buddy Guy sometime soon while he's still around.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:13:24 pm by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 02:16:33 pm »
He auditioned for Ozzy. He wouldn't take the mask off. He didn't get hired.
When he recorded Chinese Democracy with Guns and Roses, he demanded that he record from a makeshift chicken coop in the studio. They complied.

Dude is messed up.

Check out the interview on his psychologist's podcast. 
https://www.thetoolsbook.com/blog/a-conversation-with-buckethead
The "doctor" is using him to promote a book, which feels sad and sleazy at times.
...but it's interesting to hear from the real man behind the mask.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:23:45 pm by BadMouth »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 02:39:29 pm »
Check out the interview on his psychologist's podcast. 
https://www.thetoolsbook.com/blog/a-conversation-with-buckethead
The "doctor" is using him to promote a book, which feels sad and sleazy at times.
...but it's interesting to hear from the real man behind the mask.

Thanks for the heads up.  I will check that out.   :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 04:15:14 pm »
- Radiohead (@MSG in NYC).  One of the best shows of my life.  Radiohead is probably my favorite band so this was a real treat.  Great set list and the band was energetic.

- Smashing Pumpkins (@PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ).  This one was just last night.  The first 1/2 was absolutely sick.  Hit after hit after hit and Billy Corgan can still shred a guitar with the best of them.  He was great.  Seeing Jimmy Chamberlain on drums was amazing too - those 2 are just magic together.  The last 1/2 of the show was weird to say the least.  They brought out a bunch of "special guests" and played mostly covers.  Courtney Love came out and they did 2 Hole songs (that I think Corgan actually wrote back in the 90s) but she was a mess.  it was more sad than anything.  Then Mark McGrath came out and they sang "Fly" (Sugar Ray) and "Breaking the Law" (Judas Priest).  There were more.  Not what I was expecting but the first 2 hours was worth it.

I'm trying to line up the next show.  My son came with me to SP last night and we had so much fun.

:cheers: You just named a couple of my favorite bands. Going to see SP in a couple weeks. 2nd time. Damn, I hope Sugar Ray doesn't just wanna to fly to Minnesota.  ::)

Radiohead is the one band on my list that I must see still. They just don't venture here that often. Might have to go to Chicago next time they come back.

Other than that, I recently saw Weezer, as well as Foster the People and Paramore, which I didn't know much about. Going to see Blitzen Trapper in a couple weeks as well. Debating whether or not Beach Boys is worth seeing at this point in their career.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 04:20:28 pm »
Debating whether or not Beach Boys is worth seeing at this point in their career.

My folks saw them in 2013-15? and had a meet and greet after.  I know half a century is a long time to do anything but in the picture it looks like they velcroed Brian Wilson in his chair so he wouldn't fall out.  Kinda sad...

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 04:40:31 pm »
Last "old dude" show I saw was David Allan Coe.
He was on oxygen backstage.  They sat him on this oversized motorcycle seat style stool, yanked the oxygen lines and wheeled him out on stage.
Then he just took off playing.  He'd play a verse or two of a song then switch to something else and the band had to roll with whatever he was playing.
I'm pretty sure it was all random and the band didn't know where he was going next.  I don't remember how long he played, but there was no talking or intermissions.
When he said thank you and goodnight, they wheeled him back off stage and that was that.
The rest of the band came and hung out in the bar, but Mr. Coe was done for the evening.

An acquaintance who saw the previous nights show said "pretty sure that was a wig".
You think?  :lol

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 10:47:28 pm »
Last "old dude" show I saw was David Allan Coe.
He was on oxygen backstage.  They sat him on this oversized motorcycle seat style stool, yanked the oxygen lines and wheeled him out on stage.
Then he just took off playing.  He'd play a verse or two of a song then switch to something else and the band had to roll with whatever he was playing.
I'm pretty sure it was all random and the band didn't know where he was going next.  I don't remember how long he played, but there was no talking or intermissions.
When he said thank you and goodnight, they wheeled him back off stage and that was that.
The rest of the band came and hung out in the bar, but Mr. Coe was done for the evening.

An acquaintance who saw the previous nights show said "pretty sure that was a wig".
You think? 
Ol' DAC!  I was 8 years old the first time I listened to the Underground Album.  My mom over heard me humming, not singing but humming, F@#king in the Butt and tore my backside up! Lol.  No way an album like that gets released these days.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »

:cheers: You just named a couple of my favorite bands. Going to see SP in a couple weeks. 2nd time. Damn, I hope Sugar Ray doesn't just wanna to fly to Minnesota.  ::)

Radiohead is the one band on my list that I must see still. They just don't venture here that often. Might have to go to Chicago next time they come back.

Other than that, I recently saw Weezer, as well as Foster the People and Paramore, which I didn't know much about. Going to see Blitzen Trapper in a couple weeks as well. Debating whether or not Beach Boys is worth seeing at this point in their career.

SP was awesome - you are going to love it.  Nothing but the hits, which I was glad about even though I'm familiar with most of their catalog. 

So The Beach Boys (Mike Love version) play Ocean Grove every summer at the shore and for the past 3 years my parents have taken my kids and they all have a good time.  Show is over before 10 LOL but they still sound pretty good.  The venue is a church in the middle of town so people bring lawn chairs and coolers and sit outside.  You can hear the music pretty clear and the side doors are always open (no AC) so you can see the stage at the right angle.  I wouldn't pay a ton to see them but if you have an interest there are worse ways to spend an evening.   We are at the beach in the summer most weekends so it's a no-brainer (not going this year though!) :cheers:

I'm about to pull the trigger on Panic! At The Disco for January.  My daughter LOVES them so I may be tagging along...

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 09:47:02 am »
I haven't been to a concert since I saw in 2012, but I'm going to Tulsa, OK in January 2019 to see for the first time! I've been a fan since 1987, so it's about damn time I see them.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 04:27:15 pm »
going to Metallica as well, but in December. missed out on the show in my city, so I have to travel 14 hours to spokane to see them.

i'm a 40 year old concert virgin, so it may as be Metallica that pops my cherry

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:10 am »

I recommend picking up some Hearos earplugs before you go. They don't block out sound, they filter it. You can adjust volume based on how much you have them in. Protect your hearing.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/hearos-309-rock-n-roll-series-ear-filters-17841.html

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 09:36:37 am »

I recommend picking up some Hearos earplugs before you go. They don't block out sound, they filter it. You can adjust volume based on how much you have them in. Protect your hearing.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/hearos-309-rock-n-roll-series-ear-filters-17841.html

I've been looking at something similar but I like that price-point a lot better.   :cheers:

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 10:04:09 am »
I love these ear plugs.  A little on the expensive side but they last.  I work demolition and I wear them 50 hours a week and I dont have to pull out my ear plugs to hear somebody when they are talking to me.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 10:06:47 am »
I love these ear plugs.  A little on the expensive side but they last.  I work demolition and I wear them 50 hours a week and I dont have to pull out my ear plugs to hear somebody when they are talking to me.

Those look good too.  I was looking at these but they seemed a tad pricey for what they are in relation to how much I'd use them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WPOQSG/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 10:12:18 am »
Ear plugs at a concert?  I'm surrounded by 'that guy.'

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:56 am »

Heck the performers all wear them now.  I have hearing loss so there is that as well.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 12:33:24 pm »
I took a hearing test last year.  The results were... not good.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 02:24:35 pm »

Those look skookum, I have a handfull of 3M ultrafits leftover from when I did city work... these look almost the same but these aren't obnoxiously yellow so i wont look like a total pleb.  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 02:45:13 pm »
Fall Out Boy is playing Newark on September 4.  It looks like I'm going to have to take my kid.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 04:21:30 pm »

I have hearing loss due to the concerts I'd attended without some form of hearing protection. Earplugs made for music allow you to control the volume, so I still enjoy the concert without further damage.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 06:05:10 pm »
Currently at Slayer in Atl. With lamb of god, anthrax, testament, and napalm death

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 06:28:57 pm »
Currently at Slayer in Atl. With lamb of god, anthrax, testament, and napalm death

\m/

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 08:03:51 pm »

\m/

Neph calls that “Easy Listening”
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 11:29:56 am »
$15 bud lights at this place.