Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The CONCERT Discussion Thread  (Read 64317 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
The CONCERT Discussion Thread
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:42:51 am »
Anyone been to anything good recently?  So far this summer I've been to:

- Imagine Dragons (@PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ).  Way better than I expected.  We took the kids and went with a few other families and everyone had a blast.  I didn't think I'd know a single song but it turns out I knew a bunch of them.  I guess they are so popular that the music is unavoidable.  Kind of bland and forgettable though so I will not be listening to them going forward but at least they put on a fun show.

- Radiohead (@MSG in NYC).  One of the best shows of my life.  Radiohead is probably my favorite band so this was a real treat.  Great set list and the band was energetic.

- Smashing Pumpkins (@PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ).  This one was just last night.  The first 1/2 was absolutely sick.  Hit after hit after hit and Billy Corgan can still shred a guitar with the best of them.  He was great.  Seeing Jimmy Chamberlain on drums was amazing too - those 2 are just magic together.  The last 1/2 of the show was weird to say the least.  They brought out a bunch of "special guests" and played mostly covers.  Courtney Love came out and they did 2 Hole songs (that I think Corgan actually wrote back in the 90s) but she was a mess.  it was more sad than anything.  Then Mark McGrath came out and they sang "Fly" (Sugar Ray) and "Breaking the Law" (Judas Priest).  There were more.  Not what I was expecting but the first 2 hours was worth it.

I'm trying to line up the next show.  My son came with me to SP last night and we had so much fun. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:45:03 am by javeryh »

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: The CONCERT Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:02:19 am »
I was going to see Avenged Sevenfold and Prophets of Rage with my son this month, but the tour was cancelled.  :P

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:13:27 am »
I was going to see Avenged Sevenfold and Prophets of Rage with my son this month, but the tour was cancelled.  :P

That would have been awesome.  They were supposed to be near me earlier in the week (Tuesday, I think).  If you can't sing I guess you can't tour.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:26:02 am »
Some years we don't make it to any concerts but the past year has been unusual.  So far we have seen ZZ Top, Fitz and the Tantrums, Buckethead, Foster the People and Brit Floyd.  We are going to see Earth, Wind and Fire in a couple of weeks. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:28:06 am »
How was Buckethead? was he in the mood to play?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:48:54 am »
Some years we don't make it to any concerts but the past year has been unusual.  So far we have seen ZZ Top, Fitz and the Tantrums, Buckethead, Foster the People and Brit Floyd.  We are going to see Earth, Wind and Fire in a couple of weeks.

yeah same here.  Lots of years we don't go to any but this year has been different.  Now that the kids are older it makes it so much easier.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 11:58:03 am »
I saw Buckethead (@ Jergels north of Pittsburgh) a few months ago.  Was a phenomenal show, but started 40 minutes or more late.

Jack White (@ a LiveNation outdoor venue)  All LiveNation outdoor venues suck, so had to be dragged there.  Was meh, mostly because of the crappy sound quality of the venue.
The older I get, the more I stick to smaller "big box" clubs.

Sponge at a motorcycle event that was rained out.  Was blown away.  They were on point and have an excellent back catalog to fill a show.
Since there weren't many people there, it felt like a small private party that somehow managed to book a big name band.  Best show I've seen so far this year. 
It's a shame they're not still filling bigger venues.

Might go see Collective Soul and 3 Doors down at a county fair tonight, depending on the weather.

Will add more later.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 12:01:27 pm »

yeah same here.  Lots of years we don't go to any but this year has been different.  Now that the kids are older it makes it so much easier.

Same here about the kids.  Also now that my dad has passed away I've taken my mom to a few concerts that I would not have otherwise attended.  Brit Floyd being the most recent example.  They were phenomenal and I'd see them again.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:15:58 pm by wp34 »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 12:06:03 pm »
Haven't seen them this year, but if The Marcus King Band plays near you, go see them.
All them kids have an obscene amount of talent.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 12:06:34 pm »
Buckethead was a very good show but I must admit I didn't know what I was in for.  I've listened to his music for years and was expecting more of a Jeff Beck type experience.  I didn't realize the dude stays in character 100% of the time.  He does not speak either.  Almost no interaction with the crowd.  It made for a very odd concert experience---particularly for my wife who was unfamiliar with his music.  Also I was expecting a full band and he just showed up with his guitar, a roadie and backing tracks. 

Having said that I did have a great time and enjoyed the show.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 12:13:57 pm »
He auditioned for Ozzy. He wouldn't take the mask off. He didn't get hired.
When he recorded Chinese Democracy with Guns and Roses, he demanded that he record from a makeshift chicken coop in the studio. They complied.

Dude is messed up.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 12:25:17 pm »
Almost no interaction with the crowd.

Interesting.  At the show I went to he handed out presents (toys, packs of baseball cards, etc) and let different people in the crowd strum the guitar while he worked the cutout button.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 12:33:54 pm »
Almost no interaction with the crowd.

Interesting.  At the show I went to he handed out presents (toys, packs of baseball cards, etc) and let different people in the crowd strum the guitar while he worked the cutout button.

He did that for our concert.  That was the "almost" part.   ;D

I had never been to a concert where the performer said nothing.  He used a recorded voice and a chicken puppet to announce the intermission.  Even at the symphony the conductor talks about the next piece they are going to play.   

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 01:03:41 pm »
Actually done pretty good on the goth/industrial front this year.

I saw Clan of Xymox and hands down that guy is probably the best live show in the genre.

Then Houston got this weird show with 4 bands for $15.  So I knocked Grendel and Covenant off my list.  Paid an extra $15 to get a photo with the singer of Covenant, but hey I've been stealing his albums for 20 years.

This weekend, Jon Mikl Thor is doing a free concert in Houston.  Got my tickets ready to go.

:lol

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 01:27:10 pm »
Went and saw Flogging Molly / Dropkick Murphys co-head tour.  Good as always.

Not really a concert but my wife and I went and saw the Suicide Girls Burlesque tour earlier in the year also.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:29:13 pm by jdbailey1206 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 01:46:02 pm »
I’m going to this show at the end of the month. Very chuffed, Missing Persons and A Flock of Seagulls are two of my favorite Nee Wave bands...

Next month, it’s going to be Culture Club and The B-52s.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 02:10:25 pm »
I saw Slayer and Anthrax a couple months ago. Great show, but the sound at venue sucks.

I hope to see Buddy Guy sometime soon while he's still around.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:13:24 pm by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 02:16:33 pm »
He auditioned for Ozzy. He wouldn't take the mask off. He didn't get hired.
When he recorded Chinese Democracy with Guns and Roses, he demanded that he record from a makeshift chicken coop in the studio. They complied.

Dude is messed up.

Check out the interview on his psychologist's podcast. 
https://www.thetoolsbook.com/blog/a-conversation-with-buckethead
The "doctor" is using him to promote a book, which feels sad and sleazy at times.
...but it's interesting to hear from the real man behind the mask.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:23:45 pm by BadMouth »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 02:39:29 pm »
Check out the interview on his psychologist's podcast. 
https://www.thetoolsbook.com/blog/a-conversation-with-buckethead
The "doctor" is using him to promote a book, which feels sad and sleazy at times.
...but it's interesting to hear from the real man behind the mask.

Thanks for the heads up.  I will check that out.   :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 04:15:14 pm »
- Radiohead (@MSG in NYC).  One of the best shows of my life.  Radiohead is probably my favorite band so this was a real treat.  Great set list and the band was energetic.

- Smashing Pumpkins (@PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ).  This one was just last night.  The first 1/2 was absolutely sick.  Hit after hit after hit and Billy Corgan can still shred a guitar with the best of them.  He was great.  Seeing Jimmy Chamberlain on drums was amazing too - those 2 are just magic together.  The last 1/2 of the show was weird to say the least.  They brought out a bunch of "special guests" and played mostly covers.  Courtney Love came out and they did 2 Hole songs (that I think Corgan actually wrote back in the 90s) but she was a mess.  it was more sad than anything.  Then Mark McGrath came out and they sang "Fly" (Sugar Ray) and "Breaking the Law" (Judas Priest).  There were more.  Not what I was expecting but the first 2 hours was worth it.

I'm trying to line up the next show.  My son came with me to SP last night and we had so much fun.

:cheers: You just named a couple of my favorite bands. Going to see SP in a couple weeks. 2nd time. Damn, I hope Sugar Ray doesn't just wanna to fly to Minnesota.  ::)

Radiohead is the one band on my list that I must see still. They just don't venture here that often. Might have to go to Chicago next time they come back.

Other than that, I recently saw Weezer, as well as Foster the People and Paramore, which I didn't know much about. Going to see Blitzen Trapper in a couple weeks as well. Debating whether or not Beach Boys is worth seeing at this point in their career.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 04:20:28 pm »
Debating whether or not Beach Boys is worth seeing at this point in their career.

My folks saw them in 2013-15? and had a meet and greet after.  I know half a century is a long time to do anything but in the picture it looks like they velcroed Brian Wilson in his chair so he wouldn't fall out.  Kinda sad...

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 04:40:31 pm »
Last "old dude" show I saw was David Allan Coe.
He was on oxygen backstage.  They sat him on this oversized motorcycle seat style stool, yanked the oxygen lines and wheeled him out on stage.
Then he just took off playing.  He'd play a verse or two of a song then switch to something else and the band had to roll with whatever he was playing.
I'm pretty sure it was all random and the band didn't know where he was going next.  I don't remember how long he played, but there was no talking or intermissions.
When he said thank you and goodnight, they wheeled him back off stage and that was that.
The rest of the band came and hung out in the bar, but Mr. Coe was done for the evening.

An acquaintance who saw the previous nights show said "pretty sure that was a wig".
You think?  :lol

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 10:47:28 pm »
Last "old dude" show I saw was David Allan Coe.
He was on oxygen backstage.  They sat him on this oversized motorcycle seat style stool, yanked the oxygen lines and wheeled him out on stage.
Then he just took off playing.  He'd play a verse or two of a song then switch to something else and the band had to roll with whatever he was playing.
I'm pretty sure it was all random and the band didn't know where he was going next.  I don't remember how long he played, but there was no talking or intermissions.
When he said thank you and goodnight, they wheeled him back off stage and that was that.
The rest of the band came and hung out in the bar, but Mr. Coe was done for the evening.

An acquaintance who saw the previous nights show said "pretty sure that was a wig".
You think? 
Ol' DAC!  I was 8 years old the first time I listened to the Underground Album.  My mom over heard me humming, not singing but humming, F@#king in the Butt and tore my backside up! Lol.  No way an album like that gets released these days.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »

:cheers: You just named a couple of my favorite bands. Going to see SP in a couple weeks. 2nd time. Damn, I hope Sugar Ray doesn't just wanna to fly to Minnesota.  ::)

Radiohead is the one band on my list that I must see still. They just don't venture here that often. Might have to go to Chicago next time they come back.

Other than that, I recently saw Weezer, as well as Foster the People and Paramore, which I didn't know much about. Going to see Blitzen Trapper in a couple weeks as well. Debating whether or not Beach Boys is worth seeing at this point in their career.

SP was awesome - you are going to love it.  Nothing but the hits, which I was glad about even though I'm familiar with most of their catalog. 

So The Beach Boys (Mike Love version) play Ocean Grove every summer at the shore and for the past 3 years my parents have taken my kids and they all have a good time.  Show is over before 10 LOL but they still sound pretty good.  The venue is a church in the middle of town so people bring lawn chairs and coolers and sit outside.  You can hear the music pretty clear and the side doors are always open (no AC) so you can see the stage at the right angle.  I wouldn't pay a ton to see them but if you have an interest there are worse ways to spend an evening.   We are at the beach in the summer most weekends so it's a no-brainer (not going this year though!) :cheers:

I'm about to pull the trigger on Panic! At The Disco for January.  My daughter LOVES them so I may be tagging along...

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 09:47:02 am »
I haven't been to a concert since I saw in 2012, but I'm going to Tulsa, OK in January 2019 to see for the first time! I've been a fan since 1987, so it's about damn time I see them.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 04:27:15 pm »
going to Metallica as well, but in December. missed out on the show in my city, so I have to travel 14 hours to spokane to see them.

i'm a 40 year old concert virgin, so it may as be Metallica that pops my cherry

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:10 am »

I recommend picking up some Hearos earplugs before you go. They don't block out sound, they filter it. You can adjust volume based on how much you have them in. Protect your hearing.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/hearos-309-rock-n-roll-series-ear-filters-17841.html

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 09:36:37 am »

I recommend picking up some Hearos earplugs before you go. They don't block out sound, they filter it. You can adjust volume based on how much you have them in. Protect your hearing.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/hearos-309-rock-n-roll-series-ear-filters-17841.html

I've been looking at something similar but I like that price-point a lot better.   :cheers:

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 10:04:09 am »
I love these ear plugs.  A little on the expensive side but they last.  I work demolition and I wear them 50 hours a week and I dont have to pull out my ear plugs to hear somebody when they are talking to me.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 10:06:47 am »
I love these ear plugs.  A little on the expensive side but they last.  I work demolition and I wear them 50 hours a week and I dont have to pull out my ear plugs to hear somebody when they are talking to me.

Those look good too.  I was looking at these but they seemed a tad pricey for what they are in relation to how much I'd use them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WPOQSG/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 10:12:18 am »
Ear plugs at a concert?  I'm surrounded by 'that guy.'

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:56 am »

Heck the performers all wear them now.  I have hearing loss so there is that as well.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 12:33:24 pm »
I took a hearing test last year.  The results were... not good.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 02:24:35 pm »

Those look skookum, I have a handfull of 3M ultrafits leftover from when I did city work... these look almost the same but these aren't obnoxiously yellow so i wont look like a total pleb.  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 02:45:13 pm »
Fall Out Boy is playing Newark on September 4.  It looks like I'm going to have to take my kid.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 04:21:30 pm »

I have hearing loss due to the concerts I'd attended without some form of hearing protection. Earplugs made for music allow you to control the volume, so I still enjoy the concert without further damage.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 06:05:10 pm »
Currently at Slayer in Atl. With lamb of god, anthrax, testament, and napalm death

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 06:28:57 pm »
Currently at Slayer in Atl. With lamb of god, anthrax, testament, and napalm death

\m/

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 08:03:51 pm »

\m/

Neph calls that “Easy Listening”

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 11:29:56 am »
$15 bud lights at this place.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 11:33:39 am »
Nice. Except for the 15 dollar beers.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 12:46:39 pm »
$15 bud lights at this place.

That lady behind you looks like she’s having a heat stroke.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2018, 02:56:53 pm »
One time I was headed to a $10/beer place, so I grabbed some stuff to preload in the parking lot.

So I roll up, crack open a can, and start chugging. 2/3s of the way through I realize it was a sour ipa. Then my buddy pulls up as I'm dry heaving in the parking lot.

Lesson learned - look at the can first.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2018, 08:07:14 pm »
Lesson learned - look at the can first.

This is good when looking at beers and looking at ladies.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 11:55:38 am »
Atlanta after dark is the something else. We were approached by several prostitutes and were offered crack on multiple occasions. So obviously it was a blast.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 02:09:48 pm »
Atlanta after dark is the something else. We were approached by several prostitutes and were offered crack on multiple occasions. So obviously it was a blast.

Any hot ones?

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 07:17:20 pm »

Heck the performers all wear them now.  I have hearing loss so there is that as well.

They wear in-ear monitors.

I tried Eardial plugs. I think more detail is audible, but the plugs do filter.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:42:21 pm by Mr. Peabody »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2018, 06:03:20 am »

Any hot ones?
Not even a little.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2018, 01:42:41 am »
I'm a sound engineer and have worked with some pretty famous players. I like the "superstars." They are more down to earth than the up and comers who often get the stereotypical Rock Star attitude.

I really enjoyed
Billy Idol
Alice Cooper
Heart
ZZ Top
Randy Bachman
Trooper

I did not enjoy any of the country music stuff I've been to or have worked. I also didnt enjoy the BSB/NKOTB.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2018, 03:05:53 pm »
Saw Earth, Wind and Fire last night.  We were a little worried how they would sound but they were fantastic.  I highly recommend seeing them if you like their music.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2018, 03:31:19 pm »
Saw Earth, Wind and Fire last night.  We were a little worried how they would sound but they were fantastic.  I highly recommend seeing them if you like their music.

I saw them a few months ago. Philip Bailey definitely still has it!

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2018, 03:42:43 pm »
I like the "superstars." They are more down to earth than the up and comers...

Definitely.  I used to work at a small bar / concert venue.  Every artist / band that was coming up walked around like you owed them something and usually ended up going nowhere.  The guys that had been at it forever always talked to you like you were the only one in the room.  Except for one.  I'm not naming names but be is someone I wish would permanently get lost in the surf.

Yeah.  We Baileys definitely are made of gold.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:46:27 pm by jdbailey1206 »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2018, 03:50:59 pm »

He really does.  Dude hit every note on Reasons.  Could not believe it.

He was also able to sing Maurice White's lower vocals which pleasantly surprised me.  On their newer stuff he seems to sing everything in the high range and it gets old quick. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2018, 04:43:46 pm »
I used to work at a small bar / concert venue.  Every artist / band that was coming up walked around like you owed them something and usually ended up going nowhere.  The guys that had been at it forever always talked to you like you were the only one in the room.  Except for one.  I'm not naming names but be is someone I wish would permanently get lost in the surf.

David Lee Roth....

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2018, 07:53:44 pm »
We saw Blessed Union of Souls on the free stage at the Fair last night.  I didn't know who they were going in but did recognize several songs from my lost decade of the 90's.  They put on a fantastic show.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2018, 08:04:05 am »
I used to work at a small bar / concert venue.  Every artist / band that was coming up walked around like you owed them something and usually ended up going nowhere.  The guys that had been at it forever always talked to you like you were the only one in the room.  Except for one.  I'm not naming names but be is someone I wish would permanently get lost in the surf.

David Lee Roth....

No.  But his name did start with a D.  As in Dick.  Seriously.  The guy was an actual dick and a Dick.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2018, 08:10:33 am »
Dick Dale?

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2018, 09:17:25 am »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2018, 09:33:32 am »
What did I win?

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2018, 09:38:24 am »
Dick Dale?

This surprises me. I only saw him once and it was in a small venue. He put on a great show. Old school entertainer rather than just a musician. After the show he was at the front door taking the time to talk to people. Shook his hand and thanked him for the show.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2018, 11:46:46 am »
I've read that he's straight edge, expects his band to be, and has no tolerance for those that aren't.

:dunno

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2018, 11:52:04 am »
So he hates everyone then.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2018, 12:07:23 pm »
The irony of making stoner music but hating stoners.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »
What did I win?
Gary Busey looking scary.

Maybe he was having a bad day but he was a tool to the dudes and thought he was a total ladies man.  It was funny to see our waitresses roll their eyes and make puking faces behind his back. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2018, 01:34:56 am »
The irony of making stoner music but hating stoners.

Zappa was in a similar boat, earlier on.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2018, 11:30:49 am »
I'm thinking about going to see Stone Sour and Ozzy on Sept. 10.  I should go because I really like Stone Sour and I'm not even sure what to expect from Ozzy these days but hearing the classics would also be cool.  I just don't feel like spending the money...

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2018, 02:12:18 pm »
I'm not even sure what to expect from Ozzy these days

Songs so down-tuned that they are hard to enjoy. I know he can't sing that high anymore, but it just ruins the songs for me.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2018, 02:35:16 pm »
It really is time for Ozzy to hang up his singing boots. It can't be that he needs the money anymore,  Maybe he just feels the need to get away from the Missus and Kelly :) I Can't remember the last time I spent money to go see any concerts.  Seen plenty of Theatre shows although Macintosh productions can go do one. Guess I'll just wait for the movie version of Hamilton. It's bound to happen :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2018, 03:18:18 pm »
Going to this tonight - quite chuffed indeed...

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2018, 03:29:52 pm »
^Have fun tonight...

...Wang Chung tonight.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2018, 03:59:31 pm »
^Have fun tonight...

...Wang Chung tonight.

With Teri Bozzio in the house tonight? I’ll definitely Chung the Wang when I get home.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:46:41 pm by yotsuya »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2018, 05:24:53 pm »

That is a great line-up.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2018, 05:29:26 pm »

That is a great line-up.

I know, right? They mix up the bands a bit in each city, this is pretty much my favorite combo. I got lucky. I’m knocking out 3 bucket list bands in one shot.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2018, 05:40:01 pm »
That will be a lot of fun.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2018, 09:53:43 pm »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2018, 10:01:58 pm »
Tell the chick from Animotion that the answer to her question is "butt stuff."

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2018, 01:50:10 am »
Everyone was awesome and I got this for the Casa de Yots Gameroom....

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2018, 10:23:29 am »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2018, 10:39:19 am »
Everyone was awesome and I got this for the Casa de Yots Gameroom....
Does it come with a camera covered in cellophane as an accessory?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2018, 10:07:40 am »
Some friends took us to see Steve 'N' Seagulls last night.  I had never heard of them before.  They are a bluegrass band from Finland that plays 80's and 90's metal.  A great time was had by all.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2018, 03:37:04 pm »
Some friends took us to see Steve 'N' Seagulls last night.  I had never heard of them before.  They are a bluegrass band from Finland that plays 80's and 90's metal.  A great time was had by all.

You just sent me down the YouTube rabbit hole with that one. Here's some Iron Maiden:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2018, 04:01:08 pm »

You just sent me down the YouTube rabbit hole with that one. Here's some Iron Maiden:

Ha! I went down the same rabbit hole when we got back from the concert.   

I was also just listening to Iron Maiden at my desk.   :cheers:

JulesWallet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 01:23:24 pm
  • Is the Popeye still available
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2018, 05:02:56 pm »
Went to go see The Mighty Mighty Bosstones a few months ago.

Then the Pixies and Weezer last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2018, 06:30:41 am »

Hard Rock as I've seen. They are good. Look straight out of the South....or what has been portrayed of the deep South.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2018, 10:01:15 am »
Taking my daughter to see Panic! at the Disco on January 18.  Should be fun.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2018, 11:15:05 am »

Hard Rock as I've seen. They are good. Look straight out of the South....or what has been portrayed of the deep South.

Yeah they are great.  I'd see them again if they come back this way.

Taking my daughter to see Panic! at the Disco on January 18.  Should be fun.

My kids were into them but we never got around to seeing them for some reason.  They seem like they would be a great live show.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2018, 05:59:29 pm »
Just saw Blitzen Trapper this weekend. Incredibly underrated band.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 11:04:38 am »
Saw Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band last night at a quintessential dive bar.  Good times.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2018, 01:02:20 am »
In case anyone thought I was being cheeky about in-ear-monitors, most big-name bands use them instead of a 'backline' of speaker stacks (and amplifiers). IEM systems are inexpensive enough many people are using them.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2018, 09:10:06 am »
Went to see William Elliot Whitmore and Murder by Death the other night.  It was a great show, I'm a big fan Whitmore and have seen him several times, but knew nothing about Murder by Death going in.   I left being a big fan of Murder by Death, they have a cool vibe and a great cello player!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2018, 11:33:27 am »
Such a poor choice for a band name given the style of music they play.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:01 pm »

Ohh, I think not.....

"Murder by Death is a 1976 American satirical mystery comedy film with a cast featuring Eileen Brennan, Truman Capote, James Coco, Peter Falk, Alec Guinness, Elsa Lanchester, David Niven, Peter Sellers, Maggie Smith, Nancy Walker, and Estelle Winwood, written by Neil Simon and directed by Robert Moore."

"Murder by Death is an American...indie rock band from Bloomington, Indiana. Their name is derived from the 1976 Robert Moore film of the same name."

They sound cooky like the movie seems....

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2018, 09:36:22 am »

Ohh, I think not.....

"Murder by Death is a 1976 American satirical mystery comedy film with a cast featuring Eileen Brennan, Truman Capote, James Coco, Peter Falk, Alec Guinness, Elsa Lanchester, David Niven, Peter Sellers, Maggie Smith, Nancy Walker, and Estelle Winwood, written by Neil Simon and directed by Robert Moore."

"Murder by Death is an American...indie rock band from Bloomington, Indiana. Their name is derived from the 1976 Robert Moore film of the same name."

They sound cooky like the movie seems....

I was wondering if their name was based on the movie (which I wouldn't call the "Robert Moore film" as much as the "Neil Simon film" - it would be nothing without his outstanding writing.)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2018, 10:08:17 am »
Saw three bands last night...

Fellow hobbyist AtariMatt:

Vaporwave guy Daniel Deluxe:

And headliner Dance with the Dead:

I think I might be chock full of  *A E S T H E T I C* for awhile.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2018, 07:34:45 pm »
I actually think a trend in the next few years will be a massive shift in the way we get exposed to music, with people sick of how "popular" music is fed to them through radio and multimedia and go out and find it themselves through internet searching and finding out more about their local music scene.  People aren't going to be trading tapes any more because of changing times, but the digital equivalent will become more prominent the more people get fed up or frustrated with the current system. I already see it emerging as "cool" to dislike the radio music and many are turning to digital jukeboxes that scan their taste in music and intelligently suggest other bands and artists they may like. I hope the live music industry goes back to more local live music as it was in the 70s and 80s.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2018, 11:04:15 pm »
Definitely, dude. I've been to concerts now where 90% of the crowd discovered the band on Spotify. Or they're 20 and went down a pandora  rabbit hole and ended up amongst old people like me seeing some early 80s band.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
This is a great point.  I've found several "new" artists via Pandora.  This has lead to concert and CD purchases that would not have happened otherwise. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2018, 12:19:24 pm »
Definitely, dude. I've been to concerts now where 90% of the crowd discovered the band on Spotify. Or they're 20 and went down a pandora  rabbit hole and ended up amongst old people like me seeing some early 80s band.

The rabbit hole is a big one for me.
I probably only listen to FM radio a few times a year and it's a station that plays 90's alternative and weird folky stuff.
I have no idea what top 40 radio sounds like.  If it weren't for the stupid tabloid blurbs on the internet, I wouldn't have any idea who those artists are.

I've been a Rhapsody (now rebranded as Napster) subscriber for almost a decade.
Whenever I hear about a national touring band playing nearby, I give them a listen on Napster.
If I like them, I click on the similar artists tab and give those a listen, then the similar artists on those artist pages.
A few of the bands I'd like to see live disbanded years ago.  :lol  :'(

I also end up giving more things a chance because I don't have to financially invest in their album to listen to it.

Was invited to see Nels Cline a few weeks ago (wasn't familiar with his music). 
Ran into a guy I knew there who said most people were there to see the keyboardist, who I'd also never heard of.
Next thing you know I'm listening to acid jazz. (Medeski, Martin, & Wood)

Going to see Pavlo Simtikidis tomorrow and John 5 on Sunday.
Hopefully John 5 gets me out of this weird easy listening vibe I've had going on for the past few weeks.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2018, 02:14:41 am »
.....if people didn't spend their time working, would they listen to less music?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2018, 09:17:55 am »
.....if people didn't spend their time working, would they listen to less music?

If I weren't tied to a desk, I'd stop listening to podcasts altogether.

I'd enjoy the music I listen to more if I weren't working while listening to it.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2018, 10:52:27 am »

If I weren't tied to a desk, I'd stop listening to podcasts altogether.

I'd enjoy the music I listen to more if I weren't working while listening to it.

I miss listening to podcasts and audiobooks. When I joined here, I worked at a job where I didn't have to really interact with anyone, just processed thousands of scanned documents per day. Now I work for the state and have clients (so walk-ins, phone calls, emails, etc).

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2018, 04:57:30 pm »

The rabbit hole is a big one for me.
I probably only listen to FM radio a few times a year and it's a station that plays 90's alternative and weird folky stuff.
I have no idea what top 40 radio sounds like.  If it weren't for the stupid tabloid blurbs on the internet, I wouldn't have any idea who those artists are.

I've been a Rhapsody (now rebranded as Napster) subscriber for almost a decade.
Whenever I hear about a national touring band playing nearby, I give them a listen on Napster.
If I like them, I click on the similar artists tab and give those a listen, then the similar artists on those artist pages.
A few of the bands I'd like to see live disbanded years ago.  :lol  :'(

I also end up giving more things a chance because I don't have to financially invest in their album to listen to it.

Was invited to see Nels Cline a few weeks ago (wasn't familiar with his music). 
Ran into a guy I knew there who said most people were there to see the keyboardist, who I'd also never heard of.
Next thing you know I'm listening to acid jazz. (Medeski, Martin, & Wood)

Going to see Pavlo Simtikidis tomorrow and John 5 on Sunday.
Hopefully John 5 gets me out of this weird easy listening vibe I've had going on for the past few weeks.

Sounds a lot like me.  I am ALWAYS on the lookout for new music and thanks to Spotify I've found a ton of it over the last few years.  I find a band I like and then go to the "Fans Also Like" tab and start listening to those bands.  I can't get enough.  Even if 9/10 aren't albums or bands I will go back to regularly, it is worth it for the 1/10 that I end up loving.  I just discovered Turnover a few months ago and I can't get enough of their 2 latest albums.  Last year it was The War On Drugs.  So many bands and so little time.

In concert news, I may be continuing my pop punk showgoing next summer... Twenty-One Pilots will be in NJ in June and my daughter wants to go soooooo.....

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2018, 05:37:38 pm »
My son brought me to see 311 at Red Rocks in Colorado. This was last April, also playing was Method Man, Redman and Prof.

First time seeing 311, love their music and the show was great. They are all business when playing, I mean it sounds dang near like the studio version. 
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2018, 10:29:07 pm »
As a lifelong fan of Jeff Lynne and ELO I'm extremely pumped that we have tickets for their tour this summer.  They toured last year and I completely missed out on it.  Here is the list of dates in case anyone else is interested.

https://jefflynneselo.com/events/

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:06 am »
I saw Cheech Martin and Tommy Chong in Reno.

Going to miss Tommy Chong...
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2018, 09:51:54 am »
Going to miss Tommy Chong...

He's still very alive and quite active on Twitter.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2018, 03:18:07 pm »
I saw Cheech Marin

Like Marin County.

@Ginsu Victim: isn't that weird? Similar to Abe Vigoda, though he is gone.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:30 am »
Panic! At The Disco tomorrow night...  I'm looking forward to it even though the setlist doesn't really have a lot of songs I like.  I have been listening to them for the past week so that I'm not going in blind (and I can seem kind of sort of cool to my daughter) and the first 2 albums are far and away the best ones.  The setlist is mostly new stuff.  Oh well.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2019, 01:04:29 pm »

in Tulsa, OK tomorrow night!!! I can't wait!!!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2019, 01:57:50 pm »
 :angry:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2019, 02:52:15 pm »
@Ginsu Victim

I haven't updated yet, but I did go to the Spokane washington Metallica concert beginning of December. It was awesomenerasfrig.  the things they had going on in the video "boxes" over the stage was some great work... I actually spent a great amount of time watching them. there was some pretty neat computer controlled mini drones during "moth into flame", and some great lighting/pyro work.

I was a little meh about the comedy pre-show with Jim Breuer instead of a musical opener,... but it turned out to be pretty good and he was fairly interactive with the crowd.

afterwards, James, Lars, Rob, and Kirk actually came to the Centennial Hotel (where we were staying)  to do some promotional thing giving away a pile of money to the foodbank. there was camera crews and security and a shitpile of people hovering around, so we just watched from the top floor foyer.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2019, 02:59:28 pm »
@Ginsu Victim

I haven't updated yet, but I did go to the Spokane washington Metallica concert beginning of December. It was awesomenerasfrig.  the things they had going on in the video "boxes" over the stage was some great work... I actually spent a great amount of time watching them. there was some pretty neat computer controlled mini drones during "moth into flame", and some great lighting/pyro work.

I was a little meh about the comedy pre-show with Jim Breuer instead of a musical opener,... but it turned out to be pretty good and he was fairly interactive with the crowd.

So pumped! They've been killing it during this tour and making more of an effort to play well than on some of their previous tours over the last 20 years. It's a small venue, so even our nosebleed seats still appear to be decent.

Driving 3 1/2 hours there, then back afterward. The weather is supposed to get ---smurfy--- and drop 30-40° while we're there. That's the only part I'm not looking forward to.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2019, 03:09:28 pm »
the spokane arena setup was pretty small too. we were in the front row of the upper deck about 45 degrees off axis and had a great view of the entire stage which they plopped right in the middle of the rink. our seats where off the left of this pic after the orange railing.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2019, 03:25:39 pm »
the spokane arena setup was pretty small too. we were in the front row of the upper deck about 45 degrees off axis and had a great view of the entire stage which they plopped right in the middle of the rink. our seats where off the left of this pic after the orange railing.

We're going to be upper deck in the corner...last row. :lol The view at least appears to still be good.

When the tickets went on sale, we had really good seats picked, but the damn website crashed while checking out. By the time we got back in, they were gone (needed four seats together). Had to pay more for worse seats on stubhub.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2019, 02:55:41 pm »
we needed 4 tickets too. I found out if we joined the "fifth member" metallica fanclub they had presale code tickets so you could buy before they went public sale. got the presale code for the event and bought tickets with zero issue.

I tried to get tickets for when they came to edmonton 2 years ago. sold out in seconds. wasn't about to pop for 6000 worth of tickets on scamhub either. that's when i found out about fifth member club.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2019, 10:29:46 pm »
we needed 4 tickets too. I found out if we joined the "fifth member" metallica fanclub they had presale code tickets so you could buy before they went public sale. got the presale code for the event and bought tickets with zero issue.

I tried to get tickets for when they came to edmonton 2 years ago. sold out in seconds. wasn't about to pop for 6000 worth of tickets on scamhub either. that's when i found out about fifth member club.
Fifth Member said it was limit two and we wanted to make sure we were together, otherwise I totally would've bought them that way.

BTW, the Tulsa concert was ---smurfing--- great!!! I can't wait to see them again in the future!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2019, 11:16:25 pm »
my friend and I just coordinated and bought 2 sets of 2 next to each other simultaneously to get the 4 tickets. worked out pretty good.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2019, 04:19:18 pm »
Going to see Bauhaus Friday night. Very chuffed!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2019, 05:00:13 pm »
Going to see Bauhaus Friday night. Very chuffed!

Bruh.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2019, 07:48:31 pm »
I've been alerting every old goth I know. You and I will be concert Eskimo brothers.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2019, 10:22:39 pm »
I've been alerting every old goth I know. You and I will be concert Eskimo brothers.

I have an extra ticket for Friday even bruh!!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2019, 11:05:05 am »
I got our tickets.  About $8 cheaper per ticket through Stub Hub for what it's worth.

:cheers:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2019, 02:49:08 pm »
I got our tickets.  About $8 cheaper per ticket through Stub Hub for what it's worth.

i hate hate HATE HAAATE stubhub especially since primaril... that ---meecrob--- in quebec whose business it is to buy up tickets on ticketmaster and sell them on scamhub.

https://www.thestar.com/news/paradise-papers/2017/11/09/montreal-scalper-scooping-up-tickets-by-the-hundreds-at-lightning-speed-to-big-names-like-adele-ed-sheeran-and-drake-then-selling-them-back-to-you-at-huge-profits.html

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2019, 03:03:55 pm »
People have been pulling that BS since 2 seconds after electronic ticket sales started in the 90s.  100% guaranteed the venues are in on it, too. 

Earlier this month, I bought tickets to the Houston Rodeo about 4 hours after they went on sale.  Except that on the Rodeo website, they were basically sold out except for single seats and super expensive suites.  I go to Seat Geek and pay face price for 4th row seats.  What scalper in their right mind would buy thousands of tickets and then resell them for a loss on the same day they went on sale for an event that's 2 months away? 

Nah, the venues are diverting blocks of their tickets to those marketplaces.  And it's usually face or cheaper so I guess people like me will think they got a great deal and tell all their friends.  I don't buy tickets for anything anymore without checking stub hub and seat geek... it's really freaking obvious, IMO.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2019, 07:57:51 pm »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2019, 11:34:59 am »
Garth Brooks when he came to Edmonton.... he hates scalpers with an absolute passion. He originally scheduled 2 concerts and the tickets were bought out in seconds. minutes later, showed up on stubhub for 1000x the price. pissed off about it, he added another day...and another...and another... and another....another concert...another.... 9 (nine) concerts over 8 days it ended up total. pretty much trashed the resale market with worthless overpriced tickets... trying to dump tickets a hair over face the day before to try and get rid of them and cut losses. I know some people went to go see him 3 times...just because they actually could.

serves those scalping ---daisies--- right.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »
So... Panic! At The Disco was awesome.  What a show.  Can't say enough good things.  I was not expecting it to be so enjoyable but it was high energy the whole time and the lead singer is seriously talented.   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2019, 03:05:13 am »
Peter Murphy and Bauhaus are THE BEST

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2019, 12:52:37 pm »
Nice.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »
Bonus Bauhaus

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2019, 09:00:49 pm »
I’m looking forward to this one.  I got my preferred goth/industrial radio station to give the tour a plug on the air, hopefully that kicks a few sales their way.  I’ve assured my wife this group is palatable and should be good people watching.  She’s tolerated the German vampires Blutengel at 2am on a Tuesday and the Mexican ---daisies--- Hocico spitting water on us at 1am, so I think this one ought to be relaxed in comparison.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2019, 02:40:07 pm »
I’m looking forward to this one.  I got my preferred goth/industrial radio station to give the tour a plug on the air, hopefully that kicks a few sales their way.  I’ve assured my wife this group is palatable and should be good people watching.  She’s tolerated the German vampires Blutengel at 2am on a Tuesday and the Mexican ---daisies--- Hocico spitting water on us at 1am, so I think this one ought to be relaxed in comparison.

Yeah, it was a really good show, nothing like seeing those goths you knew in high school in their 50s, but still rocking the trenchcoat and colored hair. Tons of outfits I can only describe as witches costumes at the show.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2019, 02:01:36 am »
Biggest crowd  I've seen in this particular venue. Peter  Murphy still bringing it. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2019, 01:29:25 am »
Camila Cabello.  Odd fit for a rodeo but what the hell.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2019, 09:20:08 am »
You must spend half your life on the toilet.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2019, 09:38:08 am »
I tried getting tickets for The National at the Beacon Theater but TicketMaster sucks so I couldn't get them.  I'm debating Stub Hub because I really want to go but prices might be a bit high for me...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:27 am »

More or less.  I didn't get to try any of that stuff, but felt compelled to take photos of the worst offenders.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2019, 08:25:35 pm »
I tried getting tickets for The National at the Beacon Theater but TicketMaster sucks so I couldn't get them.  I'm debating Stub Hub because I really want to go but prices might be a bit high for me...

Love “About Today”. If you go, shed a tear for me when they play it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2019, 10:36:29 am »

Love “About Today”. If you go, shed a tear for me when they play it.

They announced 2 more shows relatively close to me.  I'm going to try for Philly tickets tomorrow.  I've made up my mind that I'm going though even if StubHub is my only option.  They are probably my favorite band at this point (it's either them or Radiohead).  Don't want to miss the show!

In other concert news, I'm going to see Failure and Swervedriver in Brooklyn on March 29.  Can't wait for that show - I'm not familiar with Swervedriver but Failure is awesome.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2019, 03:24:41 pm »

He poops blood, remember.

Isn't the toilet where most adults have their free time to play on their phone?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2019, 04:25:53 pm »
Is this where I should mention I powered through a family bag of Turbos Flamas last night and have been up since 5am reconsidering my life?

Pro-Tip: Don't do it.

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2019, 04:28:49 pm »
I'm not familiar with Swervedriver.

Their first 2 albums are incredible.  "Raise" and "Mezcal Head" are well worth checking out. Later stuff has been hit or miss.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2019, 10:34:48 pm »
Is this where I should mention I powered through a family bag of Turbos Flamas last night and have been up since 5am reconsidering my life?

Pro-Tip: Don't do it.

how do those compare to Takis Fuego? cause those are pretty lame to me.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2019, 03:21:57 pm »
I'm not familiar with Swervedriver.

Their first 2 albums are incredible.  "Raise" and "Mezcal Head" are well worth checking out. Later stuff has been hit or miss.

I'm glad someone else has heard of them!  I'm going to listen on the way home today.  I saw they reformed and released an album earlier this year - similar to Failure.

SO this morning I did get 2 tickets to see The National in Brooklyn in June.  I'm super psyched.  Will be my first time seeing them and I've been a huge fan ever since Boxer.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2019, 03:27:27 pm »
how do those compare to Takis Fuego? cause those are pretty lame to me.

About the same.  Everything seems fine and then you're about 10 handfuls into it and regret everything you've just done.

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2019, 12:14:53 pm »
Tokyo Police Club at the Space Ballroom in Hamden CT Sat night.

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2019, 03:32:32 pm »
Next up -

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2019, 12:55:17 pm »
Went to possibly the whitest bar in Houston for St. Patrick's Day yesterday...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2019, 02:35:49 pm »
Failure was amazing last night.  We were like 10 ft. from the stage and the whole place only held 400 people.  They sounded fantastic too.  I ended up buying a show poster signed by the band that I'll have to get framed for the basement.  If you get a chance to see them on this tour I highly recommend it.  Tix were cheap too ($35)!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2019, 02:31:48 pm »
https://open.spotify.com/user/javeryh/playlist/3RDJzOidjIJhnTLzup0FZb?si=AHMQgyeXT96qAGZXCO8UxQ

I made a playlist of the set from the Failure show in case anyone wants to listen to it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2019, 12:37:20 pm »
Thinking about buying tix to the Sad Summer Festival at the Stone Pony: State Champs, Mayday Parade, The Maine, Mom Jeans, Stand Atlantic and Just Friends.  I really like 3 of those bands.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2019, 02:03:05 pm »
Thinking about buying tix to the Sad Summer Festival at the Stone Pony: State Champs, Mayday Parade, The Maine, Mom Jeans, Stand Atlantic and Just Friends.  I really like 3 of those bands.

As in The Stone Pony?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2019, 02:46:21 pm »

As in The Stone Pony?

yeah - Asbury Park, NJ

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2019, 04:34:03 pm »
Man I am jealous.  I've always wanted to see a show there.  The only time I was in Asbury Park there wasn't a show and the place seemed closed.  I did get to go to an amazing pinball museum across the street though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2019, 08:06:15 pm »
Man I am jealous.  I've always wanted to see a show there.  The only time I was in Asbury Park there wasn't a show and the place seemed closed.  I did get to go to an amazing pinball museum across the street though.

It closed for a little bit in the late 90s but they renovated and reopened.  I can walk there from my parents' beach house so it's a great place to see a show and if i want to have a beer or 5 I don't have to worry about driving home.  Asbury Park is really nice now - they did an amazing job turning it around.  Used to be a terrible place 20 years ago.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2019, 06:52:54 pm »
With Uber and all, I thought worrying about needing a ride was negligible at most.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2019, 11:56:15 am »
It is I suppose but not needing a ride is even better!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2019, 12:32:39 pm »
No cab = more beer money. As a bonus you get to play Frogger in real life when you cross the road drunk.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2019, 03:03:37 pm »
Wifey got me tickets to the Final Fantasy VII Orchestral concert in LA for Father's Day!:

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/17/final-fantasy-vii-a-symphonic-reunion-announced-as-first-ever-official-concert-dedicated-to-ffvii/

Pretty fantastic present!
I've been playing the Switch port a lot lately, and she's been digging the awesome soundtrack (as she should!). I guess I'll take her with me. :D

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2019, 01:30:37 pm »
Saw a charity event at the weekend at the old hammersmith Apollo,  I remember seeing some damned good bands there back in the day.

Best of the Rock musicals,  Was entertaining and the time flew through for the most part.  Was a bit confused by Pocahontas, Colors of the wind,  Rock it definitely isn't :)

Also Mother in law got the Wife and I tickets for Nightmare before Christmas in concert,  really looking forward to that one in December.  In return I got them Tickets to see Huge Ackman at the O2 next month.

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2019, 02:37:35 pm »
3 shows over the last couple weeks in Boston. Kudos to anyone that has heard of these bands. I love live music but, I feel like set lists are getting shorter now than they used to be. Anyone else feel that way?

PUP

They do have one of the best video game related music videos 

Moving Targets and The Proletariat

The Beatings

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2019, 04:49:58 pm »
Looks like a fun show.  I'll have to look up those bands.

I'm hoping a certain set list is short in early June... I'm taking my daughter to see Twenty One Pilots and I just made a Spotify playlist of their show (which does not change at all from night to night) and this is a terrible band.  Usually I can get into whatever band she wants me to take her to - Panic! At The Disco was awesome earlier this year even though I never would have gone if it wasn't for her.  Twenty One Pilots is garbage though.  Going to be a looooong night...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2019, 09:17:24 am »
I'm going to see Twenty-One Pilots tomorrow night with my daughter and 2 of her friends.  I may not make it.  Usually I can find some redeeming qualities in a band but I'm struggling.  It's like they bought a drum machine and just decided to read their middle school poems on top of the beat.

Am I crazy?  Last show we saw together was Panic! At The Disco and it was great.  Twenty One Pilots is just bad - how are they so popular?

:soapbox:

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2019, 09:25:35 am »
^I hope, for your sake, there's alcohol.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2019, 09:57:03 am »
Professionals bring their own alcohol.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2019, 09:57:32 am »

I wish.  I'll be in charge of three 14-year old girls.  Driving there and back.  Can't drink at all.   :angry:

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2019, 11:19:49 am »
I'm going to see Twenty-One Pilots tomorrow night with my daughter and 2 of her friends.  I may not make it.  Usually I can find some redeeming qualities in a band but I'm struggling.  It's like they bought a drum machine and just decided to read their middle school poems on top of the beat.

Am I crazy?  Last show we saw together was Panic! At The Disco and it was great.  Twenty One Pilots is just bad - how are they so popular?

:soapbox:

Good luck! They are not good. Luckily my daughters went with their mother to this one.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2019, 06:19:10 pm »
Professionals bring their own alcohol.

Or other.....

I wish.  I'll be in charge of three 14-year old girls.  Driving there and back.  Can't drink at all.   :angry:

Uber/Lyft.......

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2019, 08:00:03 pm »
OK - it was better than I thought!  We had a lot of fun.  Music was... fine.  It was so weird though.  Only 2 guys in the band and only 2 guys on stage - no backing band - so drums, vocals and bass/piano were only stuff being done live.  Everything else was being pumped through the speakers.  Like a strange kind of karaoke.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2019, 09:52:15 pm »
Sounds like that chainsmokers concert I went to. 2 guys yelling "what up Houston 1 2 3 4" for an hour while they hit play on their MacBook.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2019, 09:44:18 am »
Sounds like that chainsmokers concert I went to. 2 guys yelling "what up Houston 1 2 3 4" for an hour while they hit play on their MacBook.

:laugh2:

This is a very accurate statement.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2019, 10:10:32 am »
Going to see The National tomorrow night in Brooklyn.  Pretty excited about this one...

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2019, 02:08:34 pm »
I love live music but, I feel like set lists are getting shorter now than they used to be. Anyone else feel that way?

I think it's because albums are shorter than they used to be, and nobody buys them (well I do, and others do... but it's all about the hit now.) With the single song access that we have now, people just aren't buying an album for a song and finding 6 more that they love like the good old days. They hear a song, they use shazam or similar to find out what it is, and they buy that one song. I think this is affecting how much music is being released and how much bands want to expose to potential fans - if it's not in their best catalogue they might not think it's in their best interests to share.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2019, 10:10:26 am »
The National was really good.  Short setlist though - under 2 hours.  There were also problems getting into Prospect Park - the line was like 45 minutes!  Anyway, it was nice to be outside listening to one of my favorite bands, eating artisan tacos and drinking some craft beer like a true hipster.  All I was missing was the beard and skinny jeans.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:05:32 pm by javeryh »

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2019, 10:54:09 am »
I love live music but, I feel like set lists are getting shorter now than they used to be. Anyone else feel that way?

I think it's because albums are shorter than they used to be, and nobody buys them (well I do, and others do... but it's all about the hit now.) With the single song access that we have now, people just aren't buying an album for a song and finding 6 more that they love like the good old days. They hear a song, they use shazam or similar to find out what it is, and they buy that one song. I think this is affecting how much music is being released and how much bands want to expose to potential fans - if it's not in their best catalogue they might not think it's in their best interests to share.

I could see that in some cases. It is just frustrating to see bands now that I saw 20+ years ago and their sets are now at least 4 songs less than they used to be. Springsteen plays for 3 hours and the bands I want to see it feels like I am lucky to get 16 songs and 75 minutes out of. Give me 20-22 songs and a solid 90 minutes of music and I am happy.

Most recent show. Early punk band, The Undertones. 30+song set. Great time

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2019, 11:00:24 am »
...drinking some craft beer like a true hipster.  All I was missing was the beard and skinny jeans.

I'll be in hipster central this weekend. Driving down from MA to go to Brooklyn Steel to see Jawbox on Saturday night.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2019, 10:38:15 pm »
Nephasth's older, khaki wearing twin Neal Stephenson

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2019, 04:54:54 pm »
@JMB: set lists for non-top-tier bands have averaged 40-45 minutes for as long as I've known. Then you have the advanced age of many of the old crews......not to mention time between showdates.

Nephasth's older, khaki wearing twin Neal Stephenson

The relation to music?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2019, 12:07:22 am »
$250 dollars on tickets to see The Cure in October.  Apparently some clown called Childish Gambino is opening for them.

That’ll pretty much knock out the old goth bands from my list.  It was these tickets or a Vectrex this morning.   :lol

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2019, 10:02:19 am »
$250 dollars on tickets to see The Cure in October.  Apparently some clown called Childish Gambino is opening for them.

Oh man that's a lot.  I'd like to see them but too rich for my blood.  It reminds me of when Guns N Roses toured a couple years ago... just too much for a night out.   :hissy:

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2019, 09:44:57 am »
Apparently some clown called Childish Gambino is opening for them.
Donald Glover....

aka, Lando

aka, Troy Barnes

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2019, 12:03:21 pm »
There is only one Lando, and he drinks Colt 45.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2019, 05:28:44 pm »
Almost verbatim the reply I expected.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2019, 06:00:48 pm »
Almost verbatim the reply I expected.

I deliver.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2019, 08:25:15 pm »
I put my name through the Wu Tang Clan generator and got "wicked demon" which is a little too on the nose.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2019, 09:14:47 am »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2019, 07:48:36 pm »
Billy Dee is my Lando. He's prettier, and has a manly voice.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2019, 11:31:56 pm »
I put my name through the Wu Tang Clan generator and got "wicked demon" which is a little too on the nose.

Mine is "Fist Loco"  which is also eerily accurate. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2019, 09:52:35 pm »
I put in Ken Meeble and got Lion Chesty.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2019, 02:19:37 am »
Berlin, OMD, and the B-52s. What a night!

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2019, 09:58:28 am »
Berlin, OMD, and the B-52s. What a night!

Man, that sounds fantastic. If you leave now, you can visit the love shack. It will take your breath away.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2019, 10:25:52 am »
Berlin... again?

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2019, 10:51:50 am »
OK - it was better than I thought!  We had a lot of fun.  Music was... fine.  It was so weird though.  Only 2 guys in the band and only 2 guys on stage - no backing band - so drums, vocals and bass/piano were only stuff being done live.  Everything else was being pumped through the speakers.  Like a strange kind of karaoke.

That's encouraging. I'm taking my daughter to see them later this year. I agree the thought of just two guys on stage like that is a little odd.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2019, 03:57:54 pm »

That's encouraging. I'm taking my daughter to see them later this year. I agree the thought of just two guys on stage like that is a little odd.

It takes some getting used to but overall it was enjoyable (and I didn't know ANY of their songs until the week of the show when I forced myself to listen to their setlist).  They put on a good show and there's even fire so... yeah.  If you google their setlist you will know what to expect.  It does not change from night to night.  I had it queued up on my phone so I knew exactly what was coming and how much longer we had to go.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2019, 05:18:35 pm »
Berlin... again?

As long as Teri Nunn keeps strutting it out on stage in the Vallley of the Sun, I’ll be there!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2019, 12:48:57 pm »
Well, I spent about $500 to stand in a field with 100,000 people and watch The Cure on a giant TV screen.

At least I won’t ever get goth blocked again.  Or have to listen to any more “wow you haven’t been to ACL!?” chatter.

And whatever hell dope they all smoke in Austin smells like skunk piss.  And does not provide contact highs.

Also saw Metric.  So that’s 2 bands off my DDR cabinet in one shot.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:47:25 pm by pbj »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2019, 08:14:00 am »
That's awesome!  I'd love to see The Cure one of these days and I'm probably running out of time.

In other concert news, I bought 4 tix to see the Hella Mega Tour or whatever it's called.  Next August in Philly.  Green Day / Weezer / Fall Out Boy.  Should be fun - I'm taking my kid since she loves Fall Out Boy and kind of likes Weezer and Green Day even though they are old people music.  Ha!

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2019, 11:08:46 am »
Much as javeryh said, the Twenty One Pilots show was a lot better than I expected.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2019, 02:15:13 pm »

Okay.  I hope thats not the B-52s using the Misfits skull...

Its not.  Take better pics next time Yots.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:19:28 pm by jdbailey1206 »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2019, 03:04:40 pm »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2019, 03:46:49 pm »
All the Astro Zombies...All the Astro Zombies...If you liked it then you shoulda put a devils lock on it....If you liked it then you shoulda put a devils lock on it....Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh-oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh...Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh-oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh (whoa, oh, oh)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2019, 08:36:27 pm »

Okay.  I hope thats not the B-52s using the Misfits skull...

Its not.  Take better pics next time Yots.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2019, 08:37:21 pm »
Going to see Phil Collins tonight. Only drawback is the concert isn’t starting until 8:00 PM.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2019, 08:41:42 pm »
It’s not his fault they played all his songs 10,000 times on the radio.  His Alamo diorama was pretty cool.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2019, 08:54:52 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2019, 10:21:38 pm »
Phil Collins Era Genesis is the best Genesis. 

JulesWallet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2019, 10:31:56 pm »
Wow... He ends with Sussdio

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2019, 08:10:24 am »

Just what I said yo.  Tell you to take a better picture.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2019, 11:13:44 am »
Phil Collins Era Genesis is the best Genesis. 

While I enjoy it, you're putting that era over the Gabriel era?!?

Agree to disagree.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2019, 11:28:16 am »
In my niche of weird music, people always point to Ministry as the biggest pivot in sound.  But I've always felt you can draw a straight line from their synth music to the metal.  (and enjoy both)

Genesis, on the other hand... wow.  I hadn't even heard of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway until I was in my late 20s.  And it is nothing like their stuff from the 80s.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2019, 09:07:19 pm »
Well their stuff from the 80's actually climbed the charts, so I'm not alone in preferring it.  Gabriel era stuff... eh... maybe I would like it better if every song wasn't 20 frikkin minutes of instrumentals before the actual song starts.  Ironically enough Peter Gabriel made some really awesome singles once he left the band.  It was a win-win imho. 

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2019, 09:34:59 am »
Gabriel era stuff... eh... maybe I would like it better if every song wasn't 20 frikkin minutes of instrumentals before the actual song starts.

Good news for you....every song wasn't like that.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2019, 02:49:32 pm »
Well their stuff from the 80's actually climbed the charts, so I'm not alone in preferring it.  Gabriel era stuff... eh... maybe I would like it better if every song wasn't 20 frikkin minutes of instrumentals before the actual song starts.  Ironically enough Peter Gabriel made some really awesome singles once he left the band.  It was a win-win imho. 

I feel similar. But the 60s/70s enthusiasts, well.......

In my niche of weird music, people always point to Ministry as the biggest pivot in sound.  But I've always felt you can draw a straight line from their synth music to the metal.  (and enjoy both).

Industrial didn't interest me. I have preferred metal and synth music separate. What do you mean there?

JulesWallet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2019, 09:16:12 pm »
Went to see Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band Friday night

JulesWallet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2019, 09:17:01 pm »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2019, 07:37:44 pm »

I thought he retired for health reasons?  I saw Genesis like 25 years ago - great show.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2019, 08:11:15 pm »

I thought he retired for health reasons?  I saw Genesis like 25 years ago - great show.

He sat in a chair the whole time. It’s a sad reality, but he does sound great!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2019, 10:34:56 pm »
he's 68 man, give him a break (before it's his hip)

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: October 24, 2019, 03:34:42 pm »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2019, 06:24:17 pm »
he's 68 man, give him a break (before it's his hip)

A little early to give a pass, I saw Blues Brothers over NYE last year, and Dan Ackroyd is the same age. He wasn't high stepping anymore, but he was moving around as much as he could the entire show.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: November 15, 2019, 02:49:07 pm »
Tool is near me this weekend.  I passed on the tickets when they were $140 each but now I might regret it.  I really want to see them.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on With Confidence later this month.  My daughter wants to go so I should probably take her, right?  Making memories and everything...

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2019, 02:35:45 pm »
Tool is near me this weekend.  I passed on the tickets when they were $140 each but now I might regret it.  I really want to see them.

I've seen them three times. I go with my friend who has seen them TEN times! Always a great show.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2020, 07:46:02 pm »
Well, decided I had too much money lately, bought some tickets.

Willie Nelson
Clan of Xymox
Ministry / KMFDM / Front Line Assembly

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2020, 10:12:27 pm »
Well, decided I had too much money lately, bought some tickets.

Willie Nelson
Clan of Xymox
Ministry / KMFDM / Front Line Assembly

Hopefully KMFDM plays More And Faster and Virus.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2020, 05:56:42 am »
I just ordered Pearl Jam tickets for MSG in March.  It’s sort of a lottery so I don’t know if I actually got the tickets but fingers crossed.  The wife and I have seen them probably 15-20 times over the years but not since we were at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame mini-show (4 songs) they did a few years ago and the last proper show we saw was in 2010.  Should be fun!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2020, 10:33:47 am »
Hopefully KMFDM plays More And Faster and Virus.

With a few exceptions here and there, KMFDM has been "not great" for 20 years. I've told both Sascha and En Esch they need to patch whatever issue they have and go back to making stuff that's actually good, but so far they haven't listened.   :(  I blame Lucia for ruining that band.

I've skipped a lot of KMFDM and Ministry concerts because of the expense and my "meh" attitude towards their newer music... but it's both of them together.. and it's a nice venue... apparently meh + meh = take my money.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2020, 12:53:53 pm »
Shut out on Pearl Jam tickets.  I'm seriously annoyed.  I pay $20 per year to get "fan club" priority for tickets and the last 4 times I've tried to get them I have been denied.  I've been a member since 1993 but I guess seniority doesn't matter either.  What is the point?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2020, 06:29:28 pm »
To give Eddie beer money, bro.

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2020, 09:46:15 am »
Saw Bob Mould last night. Officially the first artist I have now seen in 5 different decades.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2020, 09:56:53 pm »
I had an old friend over today and I played guitar, mandolin or banjo, she played ukulele and we both sang. It was lots of fun. My birthday party is on Saturday, so I'm gonna have an open acoustic jam probably.

with beer

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2020, 12:11:42 pm »
Shut out on My Chemical Romance tickets.  At $200/each though I'm kind of glad.  I was going to buy 4 and take my daughter since she loves them and thought since they broke up a few years back she would never get to see the even though I told her I would bet everything I owned that they would eventually get back together because of money and here we are.

Tickets seem impossibly hard to get nowadays.  All the bots just grab them instantly.  It's really frustrating.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2020, 01:41:01 pm »
The Black Parade was so damned ridiculous I retroactively quit liking them and never realized they had a 4th album.

Apparently they sold out instantly in Houston, too.  Go figure.

JMB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2020, 02:58:32 pm »
We Were Promised Jetpacks in CT last night with my oldest daughter. 4th or 5th time I have seen them. Great live band.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2020, 11:21:30 pm »
Once on this Island.  Tickets were going dirt cheap.  It was fun.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #234 on: March 05, 2020, 08:42:21 pm »
Willie Nelson.  Took him a couple songs to get going but it was great.  Local Nobel prize winner Jim Allison went on stage towards the end to play harmonica.  No introduction, no fanfare, no interaction with Willie, no acknowledgment when it was over.  Good harmonica player, though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2020, 04:04:33 pm »
I was thinking about getting tickets to Sea.Hear.Now in Asbury Park but they are $205 each!  Pearl Jam is headlining but access to the area they are playing isn't guaranteed.  I'd basically have to camp out all day Sunday so I'm probably going to pass (even though it's perfect because I can walk there).

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #236 on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:13 pm »
Skipped Clan of Xymox last night.  Had tickets for months.  Still salty about it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2020, 10:57:48 am »
You made the right call.  Sucks though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2022, 10:29:25 am »
Reviving this since hopefully you guys are going to more shows post-COVID.  So far this year I’ve only been to 2 shows:

TOOL back in February at Prudential Center in Newark.  It was amazing.  One of the best shows I’ve ever seen and my first time seeing them.  They are in my all time Top 3 so it was a treat.  It was also great to see live music again.  I was unable to get a poster though but I’ve been super close to pressing the Buy It Now button and spending $250 on it.  Maybe…

FAILURE last night in Brooklyn.  Great time.  It was at the Warsaw club, which is basically the size of a high school gym.  They were really tight and the set list spanned their entire career.  If you haven’t listened to them, go check out Fantastic Planet and then work your way forward.  They are still releasing awesome music.

I have tickets to see The Smile (Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood’s new band) in November but nothing else on the schedule currently although I’m looking around.  I’ll probably go see Smashing Pumpkins/Jane’s Addiction in October since the wife said she’d go to that…

So what have you guys been up to?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #239 on: June 25, 2022, 12:44:38 pm »
Haha… Xymox came through Houston again and it was a super spreader event.  They play at a tiny, filthy club here.  My obese goth friends were all taking Paxlovid the next week.  I skipped it but just barely.

:angry:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2022, 03:38:44 pm »
I’ve got tickets for New Order/Pet Shop Boys at the Hollywood Bowl in October. It will be my third time seeing NO, but my first for PSB.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:23:54 am
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #241 on: June 25, 2022, 05:07:40 pm »
I’ve got tickets for New Order/Pet Shop Boys at the Hollywood Bowl in October. It will be my third time seeing NO, but my first for PSB.

Fantastic!  I’m a huge Joy Division/New Order/Peter Hook and the Light fan,  I’d love to see them at Maddison Sq. Garden.  Trying my best to get tickets at the mo. I’m in UK. 
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #242 on: June 25, 2022, 09:56:51 pm »
“Life is for the living, we’re not here to discuss Ian Curtis.”

::)

Pass!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #243 on: July 06, 2022, 04:42:48 am »

Never got to see either and still listen to both- a lot.
So do my poor kids
 :lol
That should be a cool show.

Amazingly I finally saw TOOL out here of all places- and they had their entire crazy art collective thing happening still.
Still can't believe they hauled that entire production out here and set it up.
Easily one of my favorite bands and that whole experience kind of evades description.

Who knows when I'll get time to see another show out here- given how infrequently big things happen.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2022, 05:35:38 pm »
I have tickets later this year (rescheduled twice already) for Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison, and Joan Jett & the Blackhearts together.  Should be a glorious mess. :)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #245 on: August 03, 2022, 07:40:09 pm »
Saw Rob Zombie last night.  I tire of his songs if they are left in regular rotation, but it was spectacular show!  I definitely recommend.
There were giant screens, gigantic costumes & all the hits.  John 5 adds a lot to the experience.
One of the opening bands referred to Zombie as "the godfather of this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---".  I wanted to yell "---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---, Al Jourgensen is!", but kept my thoughts to myself.

Mudvayne isn't my cup of tea.

I was never a fan of Static X, but liked a bunch of stuff that they played that was new to me.  Guess I need to give their back catalog a listen.
I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much with Wayne Static fronting.

It's been a while since I've been to a concert.  I thought $10 for a beer was insane before.  It's $18 now.
They were selling mixed drinks for $25.
The venue did permit you to carry in one 20oz bottle of water which I took advantage of. 
It saved me enough to pay for a redbull when it got close to my regular bedtime.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #246 on: August 03, 2022, 08:41:03 pm »
Ministry, KMFDM, and FLA were supposed to do a concert here 2 years ago.  Monsters of industrial or whatever.  Tickets were expensive and I’ve been burned before so I had ticket insurance.  Then COVID so I cashed in the insurance.  Then they canceled and Ticket Master refunded my money.

So fast forward to spring 2022, concert had been delayed two more times.  KMFDM and FLA dropped out and then eventually Ministry threw in the towel.

The show allegedly went on with, of all bands in the world, The Melvins.

King Buzzo can ---smurfette--- about Nirvana all he wants… I made $160 off Ticket Master.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2022, 08:25:49 am »
Ministry, KMFDM, and FLA

That would have been awesome.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2022, 11:03:27 am »
Would have been better 30 years ago but it is what it is. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2022, 05:14:51 pm »
Follow up:  Got sick on Friday.  Didn't test positive for covid until Saturday morning.    I was probably ok until leaving in a walking dead style herd.

LTC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 11:10:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2022, 09:28:02 pm »
Went to my first post COVID concert Sunday. Lamb of God with Suicide Silence and Killswitch Engage. It has really been way too long for me. Had a blast.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: November 15, 2022, 08:37:50 pm »
Took 3 hours to get Taylor Swift tickets today!!  I would actually go to this but we only got 2 tickets for my daughter and her friend.

The two of us are going to see The Smile this Friday in Brooklyn so I'm really looking forward to that.  We will grab dinner before the show and hopefully bond a little - college in less than a year and I'm starting to panic.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2023, 03:04:14 pm »
Just got tickets to see The National in Philly on August 2 and NYC on August 18.  Should be fun!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #253 on: March 05, 2023, 09:59:53 pm »
That should be fun.

I still can't believe that TSOL played out here a month ago and I didn't hear about it until the show would've been ending.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2023, 11:03:06 am »
Busy concert year... in addition to the TWO National shows in August I'm going to see TOOL in November and probably Boy Genius at MSG in October (tickets on sale this week).  I might also be the +1 to Fall Out Boy in August if my daughter doesn't find someone else to go with (she is coming to all of these shows with me so she might be sick of me!).

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2023, 11:35:30 am »
$5 says Maynard is "sick" or "has a hurt foot" or finds some other excuse to sit in a chair on the back of the stage.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2023, 03:14:38 pm »
I saw them last year and Maynard stood behind the band for the entire show.  Adam on the left and Justin on the right with Danny in the middle kind of set back.  There were 2 elevated platforms next to the drum kit that Maynard switched between.  He had a huge mohawk and wore a tight leather outfit and barely addressed the crowd - it was a great show!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2023, 05:36:31 pm »
That sounds about like what everyone else says.  Haven’t been personally.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #258 on: July 19, 2023, 06:36:39 pm »
I got to see TOOL a few years back out here and I was stunned to see they had all the crazy light and imagery stuff fired up.
Impressive band and show.
Mr. Keenan was less introverted/injured/cranky/or whatever for that show anyway.
Maybe 10 years ago or more now that I really think about it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2023, 08:16:31 pm »
Both shows for The National were great.  The setlists were pretty diverse and we got to hear some new songs.

Tool is up next in November but I also got tix for King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard for August 2024.  Can't wait for that one as I've been obsessed with this band for the last few years.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2023, 03:55:42 pm »
I haven't had much time for any evening activity in years but for my 2023 birthday the lady bought tickets for us to go to the Blue Note here in Waikiki.

Forty years after I first heard her play music I finally got to see Sheila E live.
WOW.

Here celebrating her (66th!) birthday this week with her parents in tow and she is really funny, has assembled a great band of course, and she is an absolute MONSTER on a drum kit yet still.

Plays with an athleticism that is impressive no matter your age and for anyone who has tried they can tell you that to be able to play drums (never mind that well in so many different styles) and be able to sing at the same time too is actually damn hard.

Just- WOW.

Always a good time to see people playing music who are having such a good time doing it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2023, 05:59:03 pm »
but for my 2023 birthday

Holy crap. You look pretty good for 2023 years old.

You don't look a day over a 1000.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #262 on: February 21, 2024, 08:55:45 pm »
i'm going to boston for st. patricks day weekend to see drop kick murphy's with friends.
i also hear there is a parade of some sort i'll probably check out.