Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A raspberry pi - ikea lack arcade idea  (Read 5265 times)

omereli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2018, 03:51:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
A raspberry pi - ikea lack arcade idea
« on: July 30, 2018, 02:57:14 pm »
Hi everybody! after looking for nice original ideas to build my own cheap and pretty arcade, i came across the IKEA lack coffee table arcades (such as element 14's) i have decided to do something similar but wall mounted and unique. check out my design in the attached pictures. i would very much like to hear feedback on my idea and how to improve.

what you are looking at is:

a LACK IKEA side table with no legs, with a integrated 19' LCD screen mounted on a wall (i would welcome insights and ideas on how to mount it, flat or with some giveaway from the wall? it's a concrete wall - what mounting device is best.. anything..)

the controllers are mounted on two small LACK wall shelf's (the controller themselves are not finale.. i would probably use  some kit like
Easyget LED Arcade - i welcome input about this as well)

the pie it self is a challenge.. as it stands now it's just sort of sits inside a hole in the table.. and sticks out a bit.. would really like ideas about that.. the cables will go behind the table in channels i would carve out for them.

it's a good idea to note i have VERY limited woodworking skills, tools and money.. that is why i went with the IKEA HACK conept to begin with.. with that in mind, i am looking forward for your input.

Thank's!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: A raspberry pi - ikea lack arcade idea
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:31:15 pm »
Calling Mike A, Calling Mike A  >:D >:D I'm sure he would confirm that you are planning is a bad idea, 

You would probably do better getting yourself a Pandora Box and mounting the monitor to the wall with a flat to wall mount. 

If you really want to build an arcade cab but have limited experience in woodworking then I would recommend that you take a look at Vigolix,  It's a very simple design that can be built with 1 piece of plywood and a straight edge and saw.

Alternatively have a look for Ikeacade,  I'm fairly sure someone did a quite nice hidden cabinet in an ikea wardrobe type thing.

Can't really help with the  controllers etc,  I assume you are looking at a kit like the following. https://www.amazon.com/Easyget-Encoder-Joystick-Illuminated-Buttons/dp/B00WAY9848
In which case, yeah it will work fine, not going to be the best quality but don't look like the worst either. I have used the Lack shelves for a walkway for my cats to use and I can't see an easy way to turn them into controllers and I wouldn't really trust them to stay attached if they were either. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:55:50 pm »
those shelves aren't made for any sort of pressure or load. 1 intense game of SFII and you've got 2 holes in your wall.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:47:24 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 05:19:25 pm »
No woodworking skills, yet you are still going to have to cut a whole for the monitor, yes?  Also correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think those IKEA side-tables are solid wood throughout. I could be wrong but I know a lot of IKEA furniture uses laminated hardboard pieces, shaped like a solid wood cut.

Concrete Wall?  Yeah you'll need a drill bit that is made for that.  Extra cost if you don't have one already, or know someone with one.  Mounting would probably require some kinda of concrete threaded stud insert.

Just buy a Haruman bartop kit.  He's got bartop kits for a pretty good price IMO.
His The Degeneration is only $165.00. That's not too far from what you're going to spend at the end of the day, for a sub-par build that won't be able to handle the pounds of force people are going to put into it.
Plus it'll fit in your silly Pi.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 05:29:47 pm »
This ikea stuff uses maybe 5 mill max surface thickness,strengthened with internal cardboard webbing.Those shelves which my wife has insisted on,are same,but cannot take any sort of load,as in watering the plant sat on one can worry me,never mind two fat forearms pounding away at a game.
 to fit the screen nicely alone would take some woodworking skills that a pre made bartop wouldnt require.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 05:36:24 pm »
---fudgesicle---.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
Im wrestling with a similar sort of concept myself at the moment,admittedly using a much bigger screen. Im mounting the screen to the wall,and constructing the top half of a cab around it.as in sides,a bezel and a marquee.i cant see what mounting a table on the wall brings to your planning other than looking like a tv framed in a wood table.if you have the table already,,,mount your controls on it,and just put the tv on the wall.stash the table away when not in use,like in the you tube videos.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 09:05:23 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:06:17 pm »
Oh, and why do you want to stand so close to the wall?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 09:27:06 pm »
Maybe he's in Time-Out.  :D

I think I found the name of your project.

JulesWallet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 01:23:24 pm
  • Is the Popeye still available
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 09:36:38 pm »

Just buy a Haruman bartop kit.  He's got bartop kits for a pretty good price IMO.
His The Degeneration is only $165.00. That's not too far from what you're going to spend at the end of the day, for a sub-par build that won't be able to handle the pounds of force people are going to put into it.

I can not recommend this enough for your situation. The bar top goes together great! You need no wood working skills. I have one and it’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnoWho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:36:01 pm
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 06:05:49 am »
Hi everybody! after looking for nice original ideas to build my own cheap and pretty arcade, i came across the IKEA lack coffee table arcades (such as element 14's) i have decided to do something similar but wall mounted and unique. check out my design in the attached pictures. i would very much like to hear feedback on my idea and how to improve.

what you are looking at is:

a LACK IKEA side table with no legs, with a integrated 19' LCD screen mounted on a wall (i would welcome insights and ideas on how to mount it, flat or with some giveaway from the wall? it's a concrete wall - what mounting device is best.. anything..)

the controllers are mounted on two small LACK wall shelf's (the controller themselves are not finale.. i would probably use  some kit like
Easyget LED Arcade - i welcome input about this as well)

the pie it self is a challenge.. as it stands now it's just sort of sits inside a hole in the table.. and sticks out a bit.. would really like ideas about that.. the cables will go behind the table in channels i would carve out for them.

it's a good idea to note i have VERY limited woodworking skills, tools and money.. that is why i went with the IKEA HACK conept to begin with.. with that in mind, i am looking forward for your input.

Thank's!

I think that is a great idea.  You would want some stability and added strength to the joystick platforms which could be achieved with PVC piping (.5 inch) and make a pvc frame inside the lack table with the same size piping then mount it to the wall.  The lack is pretty flimsy so it would be just a facade and a monitor mount.  I would get the yellow lack and make it a nintendo themed project.

You could go that extra bit and add a small aquarium on top of the lack for display purposes....

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 11:39:57 pm »

I can not recommend this enough for your situation. The bar top goes together great! You need no wood working skills. I have one and it’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with these guys.