Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LEDs for Coin Slots  (Read 1031 times)

okmike87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2019, 01:20:51 pm
  • I like them biscuits and mustard!
LEDs for Coin Slots
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:38:44 am »
Can anyone point me where to buy a couple of LEDs and a power source for them to use behind my coin slots? I had a little thing rigged up behind them now with a row of 4 red LEDs, but they apparently went out. I think I used too powerful of a power supply.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Re: LEDs for Coin Slots
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:10:25 am »
It would help with details (pictures) about the coin slots - i.e. if there is any bulb holder and what kind if so etc.

In general LED's must stay under their maximum current, so if you didn't have any proper resistor they will for sure burn. Go for LED bulbs with resistor built in and then power them with the correct voltage. Usually 5 or 12V. Anyone selling pinball parts will have them.

If you have game cabinet you probably already have 12V somewhere regardless if it is a MAME PC or original arcade game PCB. Perhaps if it is an RPI you only have 5V, but there are LED bulbs with that voltage rating as well.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

okmike87

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2019, 01:20:51 pm
  • I like them biscuits and mustard!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:27:14 am »
There are no bulb holders, I have a rigged holder I made myself hanging behind the slots. So anything I buy for this will end up being rigged by me to sit there behind them.

I'm just looking for a place to purchase a few LEDs and a proper power supply. I'll rig them to sit behind the slots.

I'm running the cab on a RPI.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:30:25 am by okmike87 »

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 03:23:52 pm »
A typical red standard LED has a typical forward voltage of 2V and a current of 20 mA.
You could tap the RPI for 5V and have two LED's in series with a 56 Ohm (1/4W) resistor. You don't need an additional power supply for this.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)