Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Echo iTouch HD3 - Refurbish  (Read 5909 times)

rpack82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2020, 11:35:51 pm
JVL Echo iTouch HD3 - Refurbish
« on: July 28, 2018, 12:12:26 pm »
Hi All,

I'm new to this site and arcade tinkering.

But, I recently salvaged a JVL Echo that powers on with lights and fans going but the monitor only briefly displays a "no signal" graphic and then a blank screen. My suspicion was a failed hard drive.

From the manual I found online, it appears that there is only an SD card. So, I removed it to check the contents. But my win7 PC doesn't recognize any files. From here, I'm thinking that the card may be faulty, or that my PC doesn't recognize the card's formatting.

If any of you have experience with this, any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: Wanted to share an update. I checked the SD card using a file recovery tool and I found 4 existing partitions (formatted Ext2 & Ext3) with several folders and files. At this point, I'm not sure whether the contents are valid but, it may mean that the SD card isn't the problem.

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:13:40 pm by rpack82 »

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: JVL Echo iTouch HD3 - Refurbish
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 08:11:15 pm »
Most likely it's a bad board. They are notorious for failure. If it was a bad SD card, you'd at least get an error message on the screen.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:29:58 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:46:39 pm »
"no signal" means no video output from the computer.

could be bad ram, bad CPU or bad motherboard.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:01:02 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 11:15:36 pm »
Replace the Battery. If that doesn't help. replace the ram, if that doesn't help, replace the cpu, if that doesn't help. you have a very big expensive paper weight.

rpack82

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:41:39 pm »
Thanks for the advice!

I'll try to do some troubleshooting this weekend and report back.

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 02:22:51 pm »
Been a long weekend...

rpack82

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 07:58:26 pm »
Been a long weekend...

Yep... I'm terrible at estimating ;)... Maybe people won't look at the post dates...

Anyway, I did take the motherboard (GIGABYTE MBBZ1AI) out for testing/troubleshooting and I recall getting fans to spin but no screen output. I also don't recall seeing any activity lights anywhere. So, I am thinking that its toast.

I tried to source a direct replacement, but the only boards I've found have different I/O ports and won't fit in the sheet metal enclosure without modifications.

Since I have a fair amount to spare PCs/parts, I'm planning to try to connect the Echo to a temporary setup to make sure there aren't any other problems before investing much more.

Thanks for following up and hang-in there we might have several long weekends ahead!