Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Sound Distorts When Rotating PC Desktop in Settings  (Read 3687 times)

ArcadeAction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2019, 04:35:29 pm
  • I have built my own arcade controls!
    • ArcadeMade.com
MAME Sound Distorts When Rotating PC Desktop in Settings
« on: July 27, 2018, 02:52:26 pm »
I need to rotate my Windows display 180 degrees so that it aligns with player 1 on my CRT cocktail cabinet. When I do rotate it with Windows 7 or 10 (tried it on both OS), the sound in GroovyMAME (and MAME) is then distorted. It all sounds out of tune. Why would that be?

I realize I can rotate MAME 180 degrees to offset this and avoid rotating my desktop, but my front end is not readily rotatable so my menu would then be upside down.

Any workarounds you can think of? I've tried changing my yoke connectors and that works but then my monitor picture is horizontally centered too far off the screen and I've tried every adjustment it has. Last result would be to actually rotate the tube itself in the chassis frame (which seems ridiculous that I should have to do such a thing). The anode cup would be very close to the chassis which probably isn't good.

Another method might be to somehow call a script so that when my front end (Hyperspin) loads it rotates my desktop 180, and then rotates it back when it launches a game. Not sure if that is feasible though. Otherwise perhaps I could make all of my front end artwork rotated 180...

Looking for a solution to stop MAME from distorting sound when the desktop is flipped.

Any thoughts?

-----------------

Attached is a GroovyMAME log file on the Win7 PC I was using if that helps.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:53:52 am by ArcadeAction »

ArcadeAction

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeMade.com
Updated above
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 06:26:44 pm »
I just updated the post above with more info.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:54:13 am by ArcadeAction »

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: MAME Sound Distorts When Rotating PC Desktop in Settings
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 01:21:33 pm »
I need to rotate my Windows display 180 degrees so that it aligns with player 1 on my CRT cocktail cabinet.

Maybe I'm missing something but why can't you just rotate the physical monitor in the cabinet?

If that's not possible, I'm pretty sure I recall there being some way to swap wires on the monitor (neckboard?) to flip+mirror the image which is the same as rotating 180%.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

ArcadeAction

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeMade.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 04:43:26 pm »
I need to rotate my Windows display 180 degrees so that it aligns with player 1 on my CRT cocktail cabinet.

Maybe I'm missing something but why can't you just rotate the physical monitor in the cabinet?

If that's not possible, I'm pretty sure I recall there being some way to swap wires on the monitor (neckboard?) to flip+mirror the image which is the same as rotating 180%.

It is a Midway cocktail so the monitor can’t be rotated. I already tried swapping yoke wires but the image doesn’t center then unfortunately... I could potentially flip the tube around inside the frame itself but the anode cup would be too close to the chassis.

Currently I am reprogramming my Hyperspin front end rotating all the graphics. It is a ridiculous solution but I’m not going to loose this fight! :-) have most of it done now. 

Just can believe rotating the windows desktop 180 affects Mame sound. Try it yourself to see if it affects yours.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 07:19:53 pm »
did you try iRotate?
https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/irotate.shtm
don't know if it works different to windows settings, but worth a shot?
I use it to rotate 90, no issue
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:27:45 pm by Sledge »

ArcadeAction

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeMade.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 08:18:59 pm »
did you try iRotate?
https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/irotate.shtm
don't know if it works different to windows settings, but worth a shot?
I use it to rotate 90, no issue

Thanks for the suggestion, and I will try that software out.

Currently, I have finished rotating my HyperSpin interface 180 degrees and that is working ok so far, was just a bit of an extra step.

Dacasks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 09:30:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 12:56:36 pm »
Try too create a ini file per game (ini folder) with the specified resolution of the game on it or just add "-R <resolution of the game>" on the command line when running Gmame.

It'll force the emulator to stick with that resolution even if the image is not rotated (like, with side borders in order to display it on a non-rotated monitor)

Don't forget to enable rotating under the mame ini files.

Example:
19xx.ini > resolution 2560x224 (The emu will run even the nag/info screen on that res, so it won't switch things mid-game causing the sound distortion)