Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trackball reviews?  (Read 5259 times)

BillytheGoat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2018, 07:12:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Trackball reviews?
« on: July 26, 2018, 03:44:32 pm »
I've found a few good review online or in the forums with regards to joysticks, buttons and switches, but not so much on trackballs.   I'm looking for the kind you'd build into a console, not a stand alone wired hand held type.  Is 3" the go-to standard for most old school arcade games?  Anyway, please direct me to any trackball reviews, or give me your 2 cents on what are the best trackballs to buy.   I found a few on Amazon, but the number of reviews on these are in the single digits so I'm not too confident. 
THanks!

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
Re: Trackball reviews?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:43:36 pm »
Here's a couple options:
http://www.ultimarc.com/store/section.php?xSec=10
https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

I have the Ultimarc one and it works well for me!

I assume you are using for a variety of games?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:58:51 pm by JudgeRob »

BillytheGoat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »
Oops.  Those options look a little thin!  :D

I'm just playing around with some ideas and prototypes right now but later this year I might do a cabinet build.   My thought was to setup a two player fighting style cab which my teen sons would be most interested in, but I'm considering a trackball in the middle.  I'm old school so I enjoy the old 80s arcade games.  I already threw together one 2 player panel using two zero delay usb-joystick encoders, but I might build a separate trackball mini-panel with the idea I'd eventually scrap it and use the parts for a full size cabinet meaning I'd want something of decent quality.   

If I got the Ultimarc trackball, for example, I suppose I'd need to get a separate encoder designed somehow for trackballs or would a simple Zero D usb-joystick encoder work?  I understand some of these trackballs can be hard to program but for now I'd just be using it in a straight forward manner with mame and only ever as single player.   Games?  I donno.  Golden Tee, bowling, centipede, millipede, maybe use it as a steering wheel for certain games or as a shooter like in Crossbow.   

Edit: for the track ball, of course I'd be bottom mounting it beneath the console so do they usually come with a sort of flange for a clean look?  What other way would there be of doing it?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:23:03 pm by BillytheGoat »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 11:25:21 am »
If you have a FAVORITE game that uses a trackball - then get the one for that game.

For Example:  My game has always been Centipede..  it uses a 2 1/4" Trackball..  so that was all that mattered to me...
Others use a 3"
Some even use a 4"

The HAPP 2 1/4" trackball is the way to go in this particular instance.  I got the matching mounting plate from Twisted Quarter.
HTH
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

BillytheGoat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:57:10 pm »
If you have a FAVORITE game that uses a trackball - then get the one for that game.

For Example:  My game has always been Centipede..  it uses a 2 1/4" Trackball..  so that was all that mattered to me...
Others use a 3"
Some even use a 4"

I understand what you're saying.  For example, when I someday build my arcade cab, I'm going to stick with happ buttons and happy style bat joysticks even though I'm convinced the Japanese buttons and joysticks are probably superior even for the fighting games I'll be playing.  For trackballs, however, I'm less picky and less familiar with what's out there.  Beyond that, I'm a tall person and whether it's Tshirts or automobiles I bigger is usually a better fit for me so maybe 3" is better than 2 1/4".   

Does Happ make a reputable 3" model?  At this point I'm having a hard time just finding a top 5 to look at and consider, such is my ignorance of what's out there.   My forum search results are often dated and usually involve top or best trackball GAMES rather than top trackballs. 

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 01:01:32 pm »
Yea  they make them:  http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=113&zenid=cmsm7l6u76b1gbjbonpbkb05g2

If you don't a game that "must" feel original - then I'd say the 3" is the way to go...  I think it probably was the most common..
they are all pretty simple...
A ball, spindles with holes that go through a optical pickup..  then off to your system.

I think where you may need to to consider which flavor is:  USB vs. Connection to an IO card like the Ultimate IO.
Just more options  ;)
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:46:22 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 02:19:49 pm »
Ultimarc's U-Trak is a great choice -- easy to install, great quality for home-use systems.

Does Happ make a reputable 3" model?
Yes.  Their trackball hardware is top notch, but avoid their USB & PS/2 optical encoder with green boards because a number of users have complained about backspin.

The arcade-style ones with optical "red boards" and molex harness are highly recommeded.

You can use an I-Pac2 (2015 or newer), Ultimate I/O, Opti-Wiz, or an Arduino Micro with StefanBurger's Illuminated Spinner firmware for the optical encoder.

GGG carries a plug-and-play Trackball Cable for Opti-Wiz™ "No-Solder" that replaces the molex harness.
- You need to pull the ground wire pin from the black Dupont housing to use the cable with an optical encoder from Ultimarc since the 5v and ground pins aren't next to each other on those boards.

Scott

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 02:25:56 pm »
Agreed on Ultimarc - All great stuff!

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 04:00:02 pm »
Sorry, fixed my initial post.  Basically the same thing pl1 said.

BillytheGoat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 12:46:08 pm »
PL1,
Thanks again for such a detailed response.  I'll definitely use your post as my first guide/resource.

bperkins01 wrote "I think where you may need to to consider which flavor is:  USB vs. Connection to an IO card like the Ultimate IO."

I will need to look into that.   I'm still researching but won't be able to do much with it for now and I just wanted to respond.    For now I think I'd like to create a small stand-alone console with a couple buttons and a USB cord coming out.  But late this year when I plan to build my cabinet I expect to buy a whole new encoder board to accommodate everything. 

I think I'll get the 3".  My only hesitation is not wanting to crowd the console of my eventual stand up cabinet build.   All tentative at this point, but my plan would be to have a traditional two player fighting game setup (mortal kombat) and just put the trackball in the middle/front somewhere maybe with a button or two of its own.   

Are there some general rules for trackball clearances?   I know you don't want to jam your hand into a joystick or the monitor screen.   

BillytheGoat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 12:48:31 pm »

I figured.  Thanks for the links.   Generally what are the top three places to buy arcade parts from (USA)?   I've certainly found a few, but you guys would know better about fair prices, quality parts, customer service, etc.  I like Amazon well enough, but is there a "New Egg" of arcade parts?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 01:11:20 pm »

I figured.  Thanks for the links.   Generally what are the top three places to buy arcade parts from (USA)?   I've certainly found a few, but you guys would know better about fair prices, quality parts, customer service, etc.  I like Amazon well enough, but is there a "New Egg" of arcade parts?

Also check EBAY when looking for specific parts -- I got a like new 3" Happ trackball there a while back for $17 + $9 shipping from a Pawn Shop that has a store front there ( Pic of listing attached below) -- So if you look around you can soemtimes save quite a bit !

THere is one listed right now for $23.50 + $10.15 shipping ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Happ-3-trackball-for-arcade-games-Tested-Good/173353463786?hash=item285cabefea%3Ag%3AKzQAAOSw9hdaOYUV%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority%2195126%21US%21-1&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=Suzo+Happ+3%22+trackball&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc )
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 01:16:47 pm by JDFan »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 11:03:21 am »
Sometimes you will have to replace the rollers or bearings on one of those used ones, but it is still way cheaper than a new one.

Also, you will never wear out a Happ trackball in home use, mine has been installed 16 years now. Bearings are still perfect, and while I can see a tiny line on the rollers where the ball touches it, I cannot even feel the line.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 01:10:35 pm »
Just get the ultimarc trackball and save yourself the headache.  The happ usb version does not track well when playing say golden tee or world class bowling. The happ has the green boards so when you spin it fast it will studder a bit. The ultimarc has a usb interface that works great. Just search a bit you will find mine and others posts on the happ trackball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillytheGoat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 09:58:02 am »
Just get the ultimarc trackball and save yourself the headache.  The happ usb version does not track well when playing say golden tee or world class bowling. The happ has the green boards so when you spin it fast it will studder a bit. The ultimarc has a usb interface that works great. Just search a bit you will find mine and others posts on the happ trackball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm.... Golden Tee and World Class Bowling were high on my list of games to use with this trackball.  Maybe Ultimarc is the way to go then.   

I'm considering building a Mortal Kombat style cabinet but with two rows of 3 buttons to the right of the joystick (as opposed to authentic X layout with run button on the side.. think "5" result on a rolled die).   Idea would be to have the trackball located in the center front of the console maybe with a button of it's own on the side.  Would there be enough room to just add the trackball into the design or would I need to consider moving the joysticks further apart?  Would a 2 1/4" (instead of 3") mean not having to move the joysticks further apart?  BTW, did golf or bowling games typically use a 3" or 2 1/4"?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 10:06:13 am »
FWIW:  My Happ 2 1/4" came with Red boards.. 
maybe the green are obsolete?

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:11:58 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 12:54:36 pm »
Yeah, Happ hasn't made the green boards in years. I have a 3" Happ with the red boards I can let go for relatively cheap. PM me if you're interested.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 02:04:08 pm »
There are two types of "green boards":

1. The old optical board. (P/N A052-1010-00)
- Obsolete due to problems with backspin.
- Replaced by the "red board". (P/N A052-1011-00)

2. The newer USB & PS/2 encoder kit (P/N 56-0113-00K) has the main PCB (P/N 55-0301-00) with the encoder and a satellite optical PCB. (55-0302-00)
- Not obsolete, but not recommended.

Scott

BillytheGoat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 07:19:02 am »
PL1,
Okay, so maybe there's no longer any concern for using Happ Trackballs with Golden Tee or bowling games so long as it's using the newer red board....

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 08:32:43 am »
Okay, so maybe there's no longer any concern for using Happ Trackballs with Golden Tee or bowling games so long as it's using the newer red board....
Correct.  A Happ trackball with red boards and one of these four encoder options will work great -- no backspin.
I-Pac2 (2015 or newer), Ultimate I/O, Opti-Wiz, or an Arduino Micro with StefanBurger's Illuminated Spinner firmware

Scott