Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advice for project: restore my Cyberball 2072 or convert to Cyberball 2072 mame.  (Read 3376 times)

Phouglas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 12:01:10 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I have a 4 player Cyberball 2072 that is getting a little old in the tooth and needs some major TLC. New monitor, new joysticks, some sound issues. I don’t know where to start trying to repair it and am currently looking for local assistance.

I have some options and would appreciate advice.

1) if I replace monitors, would you replace with arcade monitors or use lcd arcade monitors? I see there are lcd ones that will connect properly without a converter.

2) if I don’t restore, and this may break my heart cause I’m attached to it, I could just gut it, slap in two normal lcd monitors and put in a pc and mame and run the 4 player Cyberball 2072 rom. Could even run the original as well. Yes it wouldn’t be the same thing but future repairs would be a breeze.

Thoughts?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
I would either restore back to original (Install new CRT Monitors and Joysticks) board is probably dirty/loose connector.  Alternatively go down "The two headed beast" route.  If it was mine I would probably restore and then sell because it's too damned big.

See, http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,108719.0.html

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Restore it.  Play it. Get good at it. Then join us at the Cyberball Tournament in Vegas in September!  http://www.cyberballsmackdown.com/details/

I was just made aware of this dedicated group of Cyberball players at Zapcon this year. I entered into the Cyberball Tournament (did pretty good for not playing the game in a while. Finished 5th place!), and played some really great players. They were telling me there is a yearly tournament in Vegas, and a community of Cyberball players here in the USA.

The tournament set-up was awesome. They had 4 great condition cabs in a quad sitting in an open space at the back of the hall. It was really impressive seeing them all played at once during the tournament!

I snapped a couple pics of the set-up:

Honestly I think this cabinet deserves to stay original. You'd have a better chance to off-load it, later on... you can ask Neph how much of a pain to convert this cab to mame. I think he's even thinking about restoring his 2-headed beast back to original (I vaguely remember him telling me this while I was inebriated ;) ) so he can sell it easier.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
I think he's even thinking about restoring his 2-headed beast back to original (I vaguely remember him telling me this while I was inebriated ;) ) so he can sell it easier.

---fudgesicle--- no.
%Bartop

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Drunken recall fail!  :lol

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
If I converted it to anything, I'd convert it back to Run N Gun. That game ---smurfing--- kicked ass in that cabinet.
%Bartop