Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets  (Read 223547 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets
« Reply #560 on: October 13, 2018, 01:15:26 pm »
I've been thinking on it, and I really think some of you naysayers need to look at the whole Arcade1up product line differently. It's really inspiring to see folks get the retro arcade bug and enjoying playing games from their youth. At some point, you felt the same excitement and wax nostalgic to bring an arcade game into your home. Before we agonized over controller types and fought about CRT vs LCD's, we were all grateful for the ability to just play the games from our youth again.

Arcade1up made some design and ergonomic decisions to make arcade games accessible to more people. This is a good thing as it increases the audience. There is a community starting to emerge with the modding bug and surely some of them will make their way here wanting to make their experience even more authentic. Unlike previous arcade attempts like iCade and arcade treasures, these units more closely resemble their big brothers and have a lot of people excited to play\mod\own them. Who knows how long this company will be around, but while they are around, I think these machines, and the people that play them, would be a nice injection of excitement and hopefully new faces into our community.

:cheers:

stop making sense, and posting something meaningful,

you're supposed to be criticizing and complaining and make people feel dumb for buying them.

anyways, here's a closer look at the trackball, maybe someone can figure out how to
replace it with a decent one.

! No longer available
later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #561 on: October 13, 2018, 03:14:43 pm »
Man that trackball is ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Needs bearings. 

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #562 on: October 13, 2018, 04:39:58 pm »
I've been thinking on it, and I really think some of you naysayers need to look at the whole Arcade1up product line differently. It's really inspiring to see folks get the retro arcade bug and enjoying playing games from their youth. At some point, you felt the same excitement and wax nostalgic to bring an arcade game into your home. Before we agonized over controller types and fought about CRT vs LCD's, we were all grateful for the ability to just play the games from our youth again.

Arcade1up made some design and ergonomic decisions to make arcade games accessible to more people. This is a good thing as it increases the audience. There is a community starting to emerge with the modding bug and surely some of them will make their way here wanting to make their experience even more authentic. Unlike previous arcade attempts like iCade and arcade treasures, these units more closely resemble their big brothers and have a lot of people excited to play\mod\own them. Who knows how long this company will be around, but while they are around, I think these machines, and the people that play them, would be a nice injection of excitement and hopefully new faces into our community.

Which is what I said seven pages ago.

I have a slightly different take on these.  The fact that they are being made at all bodes well for the continuation of interest in Arcade machines......blah blah

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #563 on: October 13, 2018, 04:42:14 pm »

Which is what I said seven pages ago.

I have a slightly different take on these.  The fact that they are being made at all bodes well for the continuation of interest in Arcade machines......blah blah

Good point...

And 7 pages before that it was a little more optimistic, too. Maybe ever 7 pages or so, we need to remind everyone to quit being a negative Nancy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:12:30 pm by leapinlew »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #564 on: October 13, 2018, 05:17:32 pm »
here's a replacement of the buttons on centipede to leaf switches:

! No longer available

later

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #565 on: October 13, 2018, 09:16:01 pm »
They're cheap (at $300) but probably priced about right for the level of quality....

For some people, low quality is a fair trade off for the low price.

Personally, as it's a diy assembly anyway, I would advise a friend to go for one of the many cheap bartop kits off eBay (or elsewhere) if a small arcade experience is the goal. Then add their own 19" LCD and a Raspberry PI.

The only way to make these old games look good on an HD LCD is with shaders. Being stuck with a single emulated game with no shaders and no dip switches is the worst of all worlds.

I don't get why all these companies do such a bad job. The software to make these games look good is free... I'm sure most of us can remember seeing mame for the first time on a flatscreen with no shaders. My reaction was "yuck! I don't remember SF2 looking so bad".

It's a shame they don't make CRTs anymore because one of these with a real 19" CRT would have a different story.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #566 on: October 14, 2018, 07:35:30 pm »
They're cheap (at $300) but probably priced about right for the level of quality....

I don't get why all these companies do such a bad job. The software to make these games look good is free... I'm sure most of us can remember seeing mame for the first time on a flatscreen with no shaders. My reaction was "yuck! I don't remember SF2 looking so bad".

It's a shame they don't make CRTs anymore because one of these with a real 19" CRT would have a different story.

You answered your own question. CHEAP.

Also, CRTS are long gone, and due to weight issues, etc, its not worth it to put them in modern replicas.

Companies don't care about quality unless you pay for it, and even then they don't. See the issues
with the centipede replicade, and the 1/4 inch pac-man, they are premium prices, but still have faults.

Unless you do it yourself, and do it your way, you won't get quality.
I've been watching a lot of TNT amusement videos, and many arcade cabinets that cost $thousands of dollars
have issues with the monitors, controls, artwork, etc, so even brand new or refurbished cabinets can have problems.

Even if you build it yourself, you still need to take care,  pay attention, and decide whats the cutoff on
acceptable, vs perfect, vs time, vs money.

later

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #567 on: October 14, 2018, 10:28:06 pm »
I've been watching a lot of TNT amusement videos, and many arcade cabinets that cost $thousands of dollars
have issues with the monitors, controls, artwork, etc, so even brand new or refurbished cabinets can have problems.
Careful, your noob is showing.

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #568 on: October 15, 2018, 02:50:51 am »
Played the Asteroids and Galaga cabs tonight, these things are so cheaply made (worse than I initially thought). These should be under $200 considering the build quality and components in use.

The controls are functional on the Galaga but feel horrible, the Asteroids cab spinner has to be a joke (if that was play tested :dizzy: they should get new testers that have actually played arcade games before).
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #569 on: October 15, 2018, 11:43:46 am »
Played the Asteroids and Galaga cabs tonight, these things are so cheaply made (worse than I initially thought). These should be under $200 considering the build quality and components in use.

Yeah but after you replace everything these are good little cabs that anyone 3' 4" or shorter can enjoy.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #570 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:58 pm »
I wonder what their profit margin is on these?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #571 on: October 15, 2018, 01:04:50 pm »
I know it's about the $$$ but I wonder how long it will be before a license is pulled, before one of these companies realizes their property is being treated so poorly (with the little $25 plastic toys it's expected but at $300 it can certainly reflect poorly upon the games themselves).

Hopefully they can pull it together and up the quality a bit before it's too late. I think the idea is great for kids, it's just coming down to poor execution.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #572 on: October 15, 2018, 01:11:18 pm »

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #573 on: October 15, 2018, 01:14:48 pm »
 :o
:laugh2:

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #574 on: October 15, 2018, 01:36:34 pm »

The controls are functional on the Galaga but feel horrible, the Asteroids cab spinner has to be a joke (if that was play tested :dizzy: they should get new testers that have actually played arcade games before).

i doubt they had playtesters.

but whats wrong with the galaga controls.
is there lag.

how hard is it to do a 2 directional joystick.

also, can you do the no shoot trick on galaga, and does it work.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #575 on: October 15, 2018, 03:53:54 pm »
a better quality mod : sanwa joysticks

! No longer available

later

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #576 on: October 15, 2018, 06:32:22 pm »

You answered your own question. CHEAP.

Also, CRTS are long gone, and due to weight issues, etc, its not worth it to put them in modern replicas.

Companies don't care about quality unless you pay for it, and even then they don't. See the issues
with the centipede replicade, and the 1/4 inch pac-man, they are premium prices, but still have faults.

Unless you do it yourself, and do it your way, you won't get quality.

Even if you build it yourself, you still need to take care,  pay attention, and decide whats the cutoff on
acceptable, vs perfect, vs time, vs money.

later

It's so true and yet, still such a shame. Ever since I was a kid, I have been waiting for someone to offer a real arcade experience at home. I'm still waiting...

There are plenty of companies claiming to offer "true arcade quality" accessories, cabs and kits but the reality is always a long way off.

CRTs may be long gone in terms of putting them in a mass-produced cab but, there are still some crt arcade monitors available new and still plenty of used CRT TVs being put on curbs and in the trash. For anyone who is up for any sort of DIY project, there is no reason not to use a CRT. They are just better for SF2 and Final Fight.

It is also worth noting that there are still some arcades closing down and throwing old cabs in the trash. I witnessed such an event today. I rescued an X-men Children of the Atom cab that was being dropped in a skip. It was 100% working apart from the monitor too... so I got a free real 6 button cab.

If I was going to introduce my son to the old games I used to play, I wouldn't want it to be on a 1up cab.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #577 on: October 15, 2018, 07:22:27 pm »
For anyone who is up for any sort of DIY project, there is no reason not to use a CRT. They are just better for SF2 and Final Fight.

I have used arcade monitors, PC monitors, LCD's and TV's. There are plenty of reasons to not use a CRT, but the biggest reason not to use one is if you don't really see the difference. The worse suggestion there is to use a TV. I'd suggest a LCD before I'd recommend a TV.

I've veered away from arcade authenticity a few times and it's not something that takes away from the experience for me. I've wired up all my coin doors, but I don't use them anymore - I use the credit button. I prefer a wico 4 way for my Nintendo games. I like my games to be in pretty cabinets with no cigarette burns, something I've rarely encountered in the wild. Every person has a different level of authenticity for them.

I think these cabinets are neat, but what I really like is all the buzz and excitement people are getting from playing the classics.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #578 on: October 15, 2018, 07:48:25 pm »
Hah! Don't listen to him, he uses a spinner for Time Pilot and Gyruss!  >:D

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #579 on: October 15, 2018, 08:42:00 pm »
Hah! Don't listen to him, he uses a spinner for Time Pilot and Gyruss!  >:D

The way they were meant to be played!

So, the asteroids cabinet.... that's an odd duck from the get go. While the LCD monitor is something I personally can overlook, the spinner quality is important to me so Tempest would be important to get right. If I loved Asteroids, I'd be more interested. I think it's the best looking cabinet of the bunch.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #580 on: October 15, 2018, 10:33:51 pm »
so as no surprise, pac-man is the black friday model at wal-mart,
you can order online:

! No longer available

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #581 on: October 15, 2018, 11:29:46 pm »
footage of liberator, quantum, gravitar, and major havoc from the deluxe,
he's not very good at any of the games though:

! No longer available

1) liberator looks tough to play with the trackball response being very slow,
   also the arcade version had a game breaking bug where you can't play past level 19,
   so i doubt anyone will get to it

2) quantum looks unplayable with the trackball response, needs to be faster than that

3) gravitar plays decently, hard to tell, he didn't actually play any of the real game

he also showed asteroids deluxe in another video, gameplay looks ok, but they went
with coloring vectors white, as opposed to blue.

later

gameconsultants

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2019, 01:38:24 pm
« Reply #582 on: October 16, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
Yesterday I received my 12-1 preorder from Best Buy.

What follows are my thoughts, gripes, and a few questions for some of you experts that have more diy control building experience than I do.
?’s are at the bottom if you don’t wanna read my diatribe.

Thoughts:  game was shipped inside just its retail box. Worrisome...as I had been shown one of the GameStop preorders in the back room at my local branch, and they had placed the colorful display box inside a sturdy cardboard outer box for shipping.
Box was damaged in the corner... and I was dreading having to contact “customer support” at BestBuy or Arcade 1Up.

(As it turns out, there was no damage, but c’mon cheapskates!...I’m sure some people had to deal with having a damaged unit they’ve been anxiously waiting for...or won’t find out until Christmas morning when they are opening it up)

Assembly was pretty straightforward and the build quality of the cabinet and riser seem to be sturdy enough to withstand the play style of an adult who understands that this is a toy, not a commercial machine.

Gripe: the arcade cabinet is not designed to be placed on their branded riser from the start.
There are no pre-drilled connection holes to affix the upper lip of the riser to the cabinet, so the give you 4 self tapping screws to bore into and through the lower inch of the cabinet.
So... now I’ll have 4 ugly screw holes in my cab if I ever decide to take it off the riser.
Kinda weak.

Aside: I did get a kick out of the build instructions that seemed to go out of their way to warn people what NOT to do... I often forget/am saddened by just how stupid/impatient/distracted the average person is, and even given their very clear and well written build instructions there’s still going to be people using glue and tape to fix their asinine mistakes...or, more likely, complaining to the company that they deserve a free replacement cause...ya know... they deserve special treatment...(hey you kids! Get off my porch!)

Machine assembled...
Seems like a well made toy.

On screen instructions for control scheme are not accurate for some games, so they include an extra booklet to explain what they “meant” to include in their on screen instructions.
As a retired video game designer, from a time before everything needed a downloadable hot fix... it’s maddening to see how poorly tested and edited things are these days.

This unit can’t install any fixes...so how come nobody was in charge of testing?! Not I have an extra little sticker (that they provided) stuck on my machine that addresses only ONE of the issues... again... rush job on the testing, or total incompetence?

I’m available for hire folks! Lol

Gripe: trackball doesn’t work on Major Havoc!? ( even though they offer using the D and E buttons as optional controls?! Really?) the trackball is the closest to the original dedicated version... but that assumes that they had smart old arcade nerds working for them...clearly not.

Gripe: B button was unresponsive on my unit. (no input at all, on any of the games. Where the F is my Super Zapper?!) had to disassemble the CP and fiddle/reseat the wires for the B button using light pressure...which solved the issue, but again... shoddy testing on the manufacturing floor...

Biggest gripe:
The spinner controller is so very crappy and cheap!
Understanding that this is a toy... but also all the Arcade 1Up advertising touted a real authentic arcade experience... the spinner is so lame, that it may force me to sell this 12-1 on Craigslist before Xmas and re-invest in an actual original, shopped out Tempest machine instead.

It would be Sad to let go of Quantum, and Major Havoc... 2 games that are too rare and $$$ for me, but I’d rather have an original Tempest for $1500.00 than this 12-1 with Riser at $400.00!

Which brings me to...
Question!

Expert advice needed!
I want to swap out the lame spinner for a nicer, weighted one!
I know it’ll take some hacking, but I bet someone out there will be able to figure it out!?

I’ve seen ETA Prime’s Raspberry Pi installed into the Arcade 1Up video... and it seems like once THAT step is completed... maybe a USB based off the shelf spinner could be installed?
Ultimate Spintrak maybe, or something better if anyone has suggestions?

I’m even willing to try and fabricate something if anyone has ideas...

I’m just ignorant to how the inner programming will be able to read the new spinner inputs...

I may actually replace the cheap loud “clicking” buttons on the CP as well, as I can see from how they were made, they won’t last long.
That’s a simple task I imagine...

Anyhow...
I’ve gone on long enough.
I’m sure I’ve missed many thoughts and gripes, and will no doubt generate many more after putting in s few hours of playing/testing...but I mostly wanted to throw my hat into the ring of the “ this spinner sucks...how do I fix it” ring to see if any smart peoples out there can figure out a workable hack to elevate this toy into an actual fun machine...worthy of being inches away from my Robotron!

-thanks
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #583 on: October 16, 2018, 07:23:31 pm »
Yesterday I received my 12-1 preorder from Best Buy.

What follows are my thoughts, gripes, and a few questions for some of you experts that have more diy control building experience than I do.
?’s are at the bottom if you don’t wanna read my diatribe.

Thoughts:  game was shipped inside just its retail box. Worrisome...as I had been shown one of the GameStop preorders in the back room at my local branch, and they had placed the colorful display box inside a sturdy cardboard outer box for shipping.
Box was damaged in the corner... and I was dreading having to contact “customer support” at BestBuy or Arcade 1Up.

(As it turns out, there was no damage, but c’mon cheapskates!...I’m sure some people had to deal with having a damaged unit they’ve been anxiously waiting for...or won’t find out until Christmas morning when they are opening it up)

Assembly was pretty straightforward and the build quality of the cabinet and riser seem to be sturdy enough to withstand the play style of an adult who understands that this is a toy, not a commercial machine.

Gripe: the arcade cabinet is not designed to be placed on their branded riser from the start.
There are no pre-drilled connection holes to affix the upper lip of the riser to the cabinet, so the give you 4 self tapping screws to bore into and through the lower inch of the cabinet.
So... now I’ll have 4 ugly screw holes in my cab if I ever decide to take it off the riser.
Kinda weak.

Aside: I did get a kick out of the build instructions that seemed to go out of their way to warn people what NOT to do... I often forget/am saddened by just how stupid/impatient/distracted the average person is, and even given their very clear and well written build instructions there’s still going to be people using glue and tape to fix their asinine mistakes...or, more likely, complaining to the company that they deserve a free replacement cause...ya know... they deserve special treatment...(hey you kids! Get off my porch!)

Machine assembled...
Seems like a well made toy.

On screen instructions for control scheme are not accurate for some games, so they include an extra booklet to explain what they “meant” to include in their on screen instructions.
As a retired video game designer, from a time before everything needed a downloadable hot fix... it’s maddening to see how poorly tested and edited things are these days.

This unit can’t install any fixes...so how come nobody was in charge of testing?! Not I have an extra little sticker (that they provided) stuck on my machine that addresses only ONE of the issues... again... rush job on the testing, or total incompetence?

I’m available for hire folks! Lol

Gripe: trackball doesn’t work on Major Havoc!? ( even though they offer using the D and E buttons as optional controls?! Really?) the trackball is the closest to the original dedicated version... but that assumes that they had smart old arcade nerds working for them...clearly not.

Gripe: B button was unresponsive on my unit. (no input at all, on any of the games. Where the F is my Super Zapper?!) had to disassemble the CP and fiddle/reseat the wires for the B button using light pressure...which solved the issue, but again... shoddy testing on the manufacturing floor...

Biggest gripe:
Understanding that this is a toy... but also all the Arcade 1Up advertising touted a real authentic arcade experience... the spinner is so lame, that it may force me to sell this 12-1 on Craigslist before Xmas and re-invest in an actual original, shopped out Tempest machine instead.

It would be Sad to let go of Quantum, and Major Havoc... 2 games that are too rare and $$$ for me, but I’d rather have an original Tempest for $1500.00 than this 12-1 with Riser at $400.00!

Which brings me to...
Question!

Expert advice needed!
I know it’ll take some hacking, but I bet someone out there will be able to figure it out!?

I’ve seen ETA Prime’s Raspberry Pi installed into the Arcade 1Up video... and it seems like once THAT step is completed... maybe a USB based off the shelf spinner could be installed?

I’m just ignorant to how the inner programming will be able to read the new spinner inputs...

I may actually replace the cheap loud “clicking” buttons on the CP as well, as I can see from how they were made, they won’t last long.

Anyhow...
I’ve gone on long enough.
I’m sure I’ve missed many thoughts and gripes, and will no doubt generate many more after putting in s few hours of playing/testing...but I mostly wanted to throw my hat into the ring of the “ this spinner sucks...how do I fix it” ring to see if any smart peoples out there can figure out a workable hack to elevate this toy into an actual fun machine...worthy of being inches away from my Robotron!

-thanks
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your honest evaluation of the product.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #584 on: October 16, 2018, 07:56:18 pm »
Good thoughts there.

The spinner and trackball were the controls I was worried about the most. My local Walmart has the Asteroids cabinet and I gave the controls a quick once over. I liked the buttons fine. They seemed like Happ style controls, but the spinner was as bad as the reviews I had heard. The cabinet you got was the one I was worried about the most. For what it's worth, I was pleasantly surprised with the look/feel of the cabinet and the cabinet design. Way more than the Midway Treasure cabinets.

I don't know what would be involved with swapping out the spinner. I don't think it would simply be a 1-for-1 swap.

ETA Primes video is really about utilizing the monitor, controls and box. It replaces the brain, so adding in your own GGG spinner would be a no-brainer.

I'll be in for a couple of these. Starting off with the Rampage cabinet first. It'll be interesting to see what kind of options become available.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #585 on: October 16, 2018, 08:36:29 pm »
Biggest gripe:

Which brings me to...
Question!

Expert advice needed!

-thanks
Greg

1) spinner, i haven't seen any videos of mods yet. at some point there will be one.
if you put in a new encoder, pi or your own pc, with usb inputs you can get an ultimarc.
i have a USB spinner already, and here's another one that will be out someday:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281065-diy-usb-rotary-control-watari-style-knob/

2) there are videos of replacing the buttons with leaf switches

lastly, the trackball should work with major havoc, not sure why yours didn't.

later

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #586 on: October 17, 2018, 05:21:22 am »
Are you guys buying these cabinets for your kids? Or just because you want own them?

jdevane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2023, 09:27:07 pm
« Reply #587 on: October 17, 2018, 08:21:52 am »
I pre-ordered the Galaga machine originally, but cancelled it a while back and the more I read and see, the more I'm glad I did.  Not that I'm down on anyone for having one, because I get there are reasons for getting one.  But this whole thing encouraged me to pick up some hardwood plywood and try once again to build my own.  I have actually learned a lot about building a template for the side and then routing out rough cut panels.  Now I just need to purchase my screen and fill in the rest.

What I did like about these was the space saving they had.  But I didn't like the height, so I used my vinyl cutter with a pen plotter adapter to draw a template on paper that was only half the depth of a real machine....  Because my room is 30' long but only 8' wide, I wanted to not waste a lot of floor space, because I also have my tvs mounted on the end wall in this room and you need to be able to see them at the end when sitting on the couch.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #588 on: October 17, 2018, 09:51:29 pm »
Saw these at Walmart tonight.  The Galaga was slightly larger than I expected.  It was somewhat wobbly and the controls did seem cheap.  Having said that it did look striking from a distance. 

I wouldn't want one of these myself but they are kinda cool. 

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #589 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:35 pm »
ok people, sit back and relax.

got to try out 2 units today. the asteroids cabinet at thinkgeek,
and sf2 at gamestop.

yes, there are tons of reviews out there, but have any gamers,
and i mean dedicated, real, or expert gamers tried these out?

i haven't seen any dedicated reviews yet. only short previews.

i'm not going to bother going over the pro's and con's or the
basic information about the games, sounds, lists, etc. as they are sometimes
personal opinions, or have already been gone over many times already.

i'm not an expert on every game, but i do know my way around them.
these are my opinions.

-------------------------------SKIP------------------------------------------------

tldr version:
==============================
controls are not arcade accurate - but actually, and surprisingly do the job for average players,
                                   they are terrible for intermediate and expert players

games play near arcade accuracy - framerate, and response is decent, graphics are blocky and pixelly of course

screen angles are shallow - but are pretty vibrant enough in most cases, the vector games looked dim though

===========================================================================================================

STOP READING HERE, IF THAT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS

-------------------------------SKIP------------------------------------------------

the long picky review follows:

i am going to go into boring gameplay details,
response times, and control mechanics for the games i know.

================================================================================
background -
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i  have been playing videogames from the days of pong, breakout and space invaders
i stopped playing them in the late 90's, and 00's when deluxe units were the norm.

i do know most of the atari, williams, namco, and capcom library inside and out.

i am NOT an expert at every game, but have played all of them either extensively
in the arcade when they originally came out, at home in MAME, and in pretty much
every port on PC, console, and remake that has come out.

hardware control experience
----------------------------
i have used arcade controls, buttons, trackballs and spinners since they came out.

i have home versions of those controls, and actually don't use dpads or analog stick
on any console unless i'm forced to.

my preference is always dedicated controls for arcade games

arcade gaming habits
-----------------------
i play arcade games, or ports pretty much every day, through the 80's, i stopped
in the 90's, and then picked up mame, and played it every day for a few years.
stopped again, until the 2nd year of the xbox 360. got gameroom, and pretty much
every arcade game, and port on those systems. i have continued this when ports
started showing up on the xbox one. i have played them on the playstation also,
but only the original and PS2, and now the PSP 2000.

lately, over the last couple of years, i have been playing arcade ports and games
everyday for a least a few hours. i usually place in the top 1-10 place on games
that i'm an expert in, and below that on other games.

======================================
now with that out of the way, lets get to the cabinets

time spent playing
==========================================================================
i have spent at least an hour with each cabinet, and at least 10-15 minutes
on each game, to get a good feel for them. any more than that wouldn't have
helped [except for tempest, which i sacrificed some time playing]

on street fighter, i spent 20 minutes with each title, trying out different
characters, and different sides to play.

atari cabinet with asteroids
==========================================================================
condition of cabinet - the control panel had the bottom portion totally
worn out from people playing, the store guy said it had been there about
a week. the buttons and the rest of the cabinet was in good shape

durability - the cabinets are super flimsy, and shake when you play. i barely
tapped the buttons, and the cabinet was shaking. i was playing sitting down
on a chair. which was fine for the time i played, but it just felt wrong.
there were no risers, and i missed standing up.

ergonomics - as i mentioned the sitting down part threw me off, but i got used to it.

the much bigger issue is the hands and wrists, along with the buttons and joysticks.

for asteroids, the buttons do click, which is fine, but annoying. i did notice the spacing,
while probably close to the arcade spacing is ok, but probably not exact or even scaled to
be accurate. if you're used to the arcade buttons, you need to get used to the spacing
and response of these buttons. there is a difference, but for the most part its ok.

the thing that killed my wrists, was that the nice gentle 5-10 degree(?) slope of the
arcade was gone, and now it's just this flat panel. i would definitely hike those up
somehow with supports to make it feel better. granted i didn't play that long, but i
could tell, it would be different after playing for long periods of time.

gameplay -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
asteroids
=========
- managed to play to 10k, and quit, i used the saucer hunting method, and could
have played for awhile longer, but i only wanted to play to see if it worked, and if i could
do it. the buttons had a precise enough feel, and moved in increments that allowed for precision
shooting. it took a little bit of time to get used to the scale of the monitor, and a feel
for the response from pressing the button to the actual firing response.

everything worked out fine, didn't notice any lag. the response rate for left and right
spins with the buttons seemed to be accurate, and the framerate was ok, i was able to
maneuver pretty well, dodge asteroids, shots and ships without any issues.

saucer hunting worked out well. it will be interesting to see if good players can
wrack up enough extra men to go off the screen, and if the game slows down.

this game is playable and worked out ok. except for the missing vector glow, and the
dim graphics, this is a passable emulated version. the home version have more features,
settings, and options of course. on home consoles you can also play with buttons, and
simulate this pretty well.

lunar lander
============
- i managed to get several 5x landings, i forgot my score, but once i managed
some landings and crashes, i quit playing. i an not an expert at this game, but i find it
too boring to play for long.

i did play the arcade version with the big old handle to manipulate the thrust more precisely.
obviously they couldn't do that here, so you will have to make do with a less precise button
push. they might have been able to map that to the dial, but they didn't try that.

again, the game is playable, and the controls map over almost ok. there's not much
to this game, so there's not a lot more to say about it.

major havoc
============
- i got through a few levels, but that was about it. i don't know the warp codes,
and actually wasn't that good at it in the arcades. i have played several home
ports with different controls.

as you know, the original had a roller cylinder, which was converted over to a spinner
for conversion from a tempest machine. here of course, it is played using the dial.

to me, this game is nearly unplayable with the dial as it is. i have seen the mods,
and changes that people claim make the game better, but have yet to see anyone play
deep in the game with those changes.

for me the issue is momentum and speed with the dial. given enough time, maybe i could
get good enough to use what they've encoded to read the dial to move the character.
however, i did try the buttons also, as they alternate controls, but didn't find them
any better.

if anyone out there is good at major havoc, please play it and comment.

i can't say much more, because i don't feel the controls can be used to accurately
play to the game to any level. its fine for the shooter part, and other levels, but
even the mini breakout game is subpar, let alone the actual gameplay.

tempest
=======
this is the game i have the most experience with, i've played through it on easy settings
to the random green levels (99) and beyond. and hit about 450k (light blue levels) on defaults.
[i have videos on youtube showing playthroughs of all the levels into yellow, light blue,
invisible, and green levels, and some random ones up to 1 million plus points]

! No longer available

i played this until level 16, and about 100k points. i could have played further, but i felt
that was enough to get a good idea of how it plays.

the dial/spinner is inadequate for this game. the non-free spinning, and click stops alter
the gameplay a lot of the times. i say that, but it actually depends on your playing style.

it turns out, you don't need to do super fast spins, or quick moves, unless you play that way.
most beginners do that. but it turns out that slow calculated maneuvers, and precise movements
are the best for mid to expert levels.

i didn't get to the red levels, which is the first time you see pulsars. later levels will
have pulsar, and fuseball tankers and other enemies you don't see early on. guess what the best way to take those
out, is to do slow 1 segment moves to the left and right which can easily be done using this
spinner.

the thing that killed me the most was the response of the buttons when firing. you have
to time your shots precisely when the flippers are on you to kill them, and maybe i'm rusty,
but thats how most of my deaths came. not from the shots. it was easy enough to shoot the
stream of shots, activate the super zapper, and kill fuses, and spikes.

i don't think there's a lag in firing. but in the time i played it, maybe i didn't get use
to the response of this emulated version. i have no problem playing it on any of the home
console versions on the xbox 360, or the xbox one.

could i do better on this game, yes, but it would take a lot of time and effort.

i'm not sure that modding the dial would actually help, which is surprising to me.
=======================================================================================

Final thoughts
----------------
overall, i would give 1up arcades a grade of C for effort.
D for quality and longevity, B for emulation, C for graphics.

So an average of C overall grading, or 3/5 stars for the price.

Take into account the games you like, how much you will play them,
and how rough these things will be handled.

To me, i don't want to say they feel like they are breaking apart at any time,
because these were worn out demo units.

If you don't play often, these things will last and look good.
If you do play often, they WILL wear out, the buttons, the controls, etc, eventually.

They should have some kind of riser, or you are really missing out on the arcade
feel of it.

Modding the buttons and dials, will do some good perhaps, but in the end,
its probably a placebo, unless you are an expert at major havoc. Tempest
is playable if you can alter your playstyle.

A valiant, but in the end subpar experience, unless you're going for nostalgia,
and love asteroids or lunar lander, and are ok with the compromises.

I will do a separate in depth review of the Street fighter 2 cabinet also.

later
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:33:57 pm by negative1 »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #590 on: October 18, 2018, 06:44:33 am »
Final thoughts
----------------

I agree with a C for overall grade, but "graphics" should be a much higher grade. It should be an A or possibly a B if you count the non-lit marquee against them. You can say the ergonomics are a C because it's not full size and it can be cramped, but it has full side art, CP art, marquee, front panel. You may not like the art, but the Asteroids cab has the best artwork of all of them I think.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #591 on: October 18, 2018, 10:22:34 am »
Final thoughts
----------------

I agree with a C for overall grade, but "graphics" should be a much higher grade. It should be an A or possibly a B if you count the non-lit marquee against them. You can say the ergonomics are a C because it's not full size and it can be cramped, but it has full side art, CP art, marquee, front panel. You may not like the art, but the Asteroids cab has the best artwork of all of them I think.

I should have clarified what I meant, but actually I stand by that. I know I don't really care about the
artwork/graphics, but I can still appreciate them.

The side panels art not full sized, and are cropped and zoomed. The marquee is cropped also, and does not match the
arcade, and as you say is not lit up. The Control panel has the lettering on the wrong area. The spacing is wrong.

NOTHING MATCHES THE ARCADE AT ALL, or is even close.

arcade 1up side art:

actual arcade:

marquee 1up:

arcade:

control panel 1up:

arcade:

They did a very poor job on trying to match the arcade graphics. Its due to the different cabinet shape too,
but the fact is, they don't care about details, as with everything else. So why would they care about the
details of scaling, and matching these either.

I'm sorry, but I could a much better job, because I actually care about details like that.

To me, its just purely sloppy, much like almost everything else related to this cabinet.

I'm not being picky for the sake of being picky, the audience on this site is much more knowledgeable than
I am, and even I can see the differences that glaring stand out.

later
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:35:35 am by negative1 »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #592 on: October 18, 2018, 11:17:47 am »
I'm struggling trying to understand how you could give any weight at all to graphics, especially considering your stance on it.

They could have put nothing on the sides and saved a few bucks. As it is, they created a form factor and are applying artwork to match the arcade cabinet shape.

You say they did a "very poor" job. That's a strong statement when you look at the sideart side by side:

Hard to believe you're calling that a "very poor" job. I'm betting I could get one of the resident naysayers to at least grunt in approval.

Either way, it's a subjective topic, but you are being overly harsh.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #593 on: October 18, 2018, 11:21:01 am »
I might go so far as to suggest they improved the sideart and utilized the space better as it fills up the top 3rd of the cabinet and didn't lose any of the impact from the original

A+++++++++++

;D

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #594 on: October 18, 2018, 11:45:27 am »
I'm struggling trying to understand how you could give any weight at all to graphics, especially considering your stance on it.

They could have put nothing on the sides and saved a few bucks. As it is, they created a form factor and are applying artwork to match the arcade cabinet shape.

You say they did a "very poor" job. That's a strong statement when you look at the sideart side by side:

Hard to believe you're calling that a "very poor" job. I'm betting I could get one of the resident naysayers to at least grunt in approval.

Either way, it's a subjective topic, but you are being overly harsh.

what about:

this represents a closer look to the arcade given the shape.

what about the rest?

the squashed marquee looks terrible with the fonts being compressed.
and the control panel is still way off from the original, with the wrong shades, and cut
off graphics, etc, etc.

later
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:50:01 am by negative1 »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #595 on: October 18, 2018, 11:50:22 am »
I give your photoshop skillz a C-
%Bartop

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #596 on: October 18, 2018, 12:02:00 pm »
this represents a closer look to the arcade given the shape.

Yours looks ok, I think I like it blown up to fill out the cabinet more, but I'd be happy with either. I wouldn't call yours brilliant or theirs poor. It's a different cabinet shape and I think they went with the filled up look vs the empty top of the cabinet look

what about the rest?

and the control panel is still way off from the original, with the wrong shades, and cut
off graphics, etc, etc.

The marquee looks good. I don't see squashed. It's very easy to read, has the same overall shape and color. The font is slightly different, but all the elements are there. The only person who would point out the differences are hardcore arcade people.

As for the control panel.... I remember it being darker blue like the Arcade1up, but either of them look ok. The overall shape and style are right on.

Either way you slice it, you're being overly critical. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm impressed with the artwork and I think trying to sell it as "very poor" is being overly critical.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #597 on: October 18, 2018, 12:12:22 pm »
C’mon, Lew - the profile actually cuts INTO the ship on Asteroids....

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #598 on: October 18, 2018, 12:40:25 pm »
I give your photoshop skillz a C-

i give yours an F-, since you don't actually show one.

as mentioned, the ship is cut off, there's not enough 'space' around the images,
and its just zoomed in too much, to actually show off the space ships.

they did a poor job.

i tried to retain the main elements of the image, and keep a border around it,
while adhering to the non-standard shape of the cabinet.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #599 on: October 18, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
what about the rest?

off graphics, etc, etc.

The marquee looks good. I don't see squashed. It's very easy to read, has the same overall shape and color. The font is slightly different, but all the elements are there. The only person who would point out the differences are hardcore arcade people.

As for the control panel.... I remember it being darker blue like the Arcade1up, but either of them look ok. The overall shape and style are right on.

Either way you slice it, you're being overly critical. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm impressed with the artwork and I think trying to sell it as "very poor" is being overly critical.

ok, let's look at the marquee.

heres the original 1up:

squashed fonts, cropping, and just improper placement of elements..

the colors are wrong, the shades are wrong, i just don't know how anyone would
think is a 'close' or ok reproduction.

they took the image, stretched it vertically, and just did a poor job of reproducing
the colors and the shades.

here's the arcade:

here's my take on it, which is much more accurate:

the control panel is still way off.

later

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:54:49 pm by negative1 »