Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets  (Read 223437 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets
« Reply #520 on: October 06, 2018, 11:39:10 pm »

There’s a big difference between “perfect product” and “hey, gentle rubbing removes the art pretty easily”. All it would take is some research and throughout testing.

i agree.

the main issue here is they are NOT gamers, and never will be.

they don't care how the game plays, probably don't know how to play them, and probably think they are doing a good job.

----------------------

the weird thing here is they are mostly concerned with looks.

i wonder how much the breakdown on the price is, for just reproducing the artwork. half, maybe more...

i bet they only cared primarily about the look of the cabinet, and had no idea how people actually used it.

surely, somebody must have played it for a few hours, and they would have noticed issues, unless they
thought other people were only buying it for looks.

someone asked them if they have the 12-1 atari compilation for testing on facebook, and they said they didn't.

how ridiculous is that, that they don't have a machine they are making, or they claim that.

========================

since they are penny pinching on every single aspect of this machine,

i wonder how much it would cost, if they didn't include the artwork, and it was just a barebones machine.

would it be half the cost, or a third.

would people buy a bare cabinet, for under $100 if they offered them.

personally, as much as i like the artwork, considering the overall low quality of the machine, i would
definitely get a couple for a very low price [and no, i wouldn't want to cut my own, buy my own wood, etc].

i would sacrifice the artwork for a basic cabinet, and do a replacement on the controls, or not even have
the controls for my own savings. maybe they could beef up the thickness of the wood, make the cabinet
slightly wider, etc.

anyways, i'm sure they acquired huge stocks of all those low end parts, and cobbled together what they
thought was a good looking cabinet, that they thought people wouldnt play or pay attention to the controls,
and if they didn't play it much, it would look great for quite awhile.

later

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #521 on: October 07, 2018, 01:27:25 am »
I don't think that artwork costs as much as you think it costs.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #522 on: October 07, 2018, 02:19:58 pm »
It potentially could.  I'm sure they use the same process to add the artwork that ikea furniture uses to put the fake wood pattern on the side of their furniture.  Unlike the furniture though, you can't just use a repeating pattern as it has to be aligned with the sides ect.   My point is a custom screen printing rig is probably involved which may or may not be expensive depending upon the size of these production runs. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #523 on: October 07, 2018, 03:53:58 pm »
I assume it's just a giant sticker. The same crap you can get from a chinese printer. That whole cabinet (minus the bezel) looks to be about $30 worth of artwork or less.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #524 on: October 07, 2018, 04:12:18 pm »
I assume it's just a giant sticker. The same crap you can get from a chinese printer. That whole cabinet (minus the bezel) looks to be about $30 worth of artwork or less.

Think you are correct -- If you look at the video of the worn off artwork you can see the white sticker surface they are printed on.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #525 on: October 07, 2018, 05:07:13 pm »

Think you are correct -- If you look at the video of the worn off artwork you can see the white sticker surface they are printed on.

they can try to think they can get away with it for the sideart too, since people aren't interacting with those parts.

so unless they're in direct sunlight, or rubbed against, they should last.

-------------

again, i'm sure they tried to squeeze out the lowest price possible to reproduce the artwork, since that's the
part that catches peoples attention first.

i'm more concerned about the gameplay, and you know, actually playing the game properly.

the artwork, and the peripheral stuff does nothing to enhance, improve, or embellish the core principle of the
existence of this toy/game.

later

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #526 on: October 07, 2018, 08:26:45 pm »
the artwork, and the peripheral stuff does nothing to enhance, improve, or embellish the core principle of the

What? It totally helps with the overall experience. What you said doesn't even make sense....

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #527 on: October 07, 2018, 09:02:19 pm »
This is a pretty good picture to show another perspective on size

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #528 on: October 07, 2018, 09:04:30 pm »
CP is lower than the one on a cabinet designed for sitting.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #529 on: October 07, 2018, 09:36:27 pm »

What? It totally helps with the overall experience. What you said doesn't even make sense....

to me the graphics, contribute about 5% or less to my experience.

i look at it once, and forget about it.

i'm more interested in the actual game, and playing it properly.
i tend to try to master games that i play, and i'm not a casual player for most of them.
(i'm not competitive world record level, but i can hold my own on most classic arcade games).

later

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #530 on: October 08, 2018, 07:29:27 am »

i tend to try to master games that i play, and i'm not a casual player for most of them.
(i'm not competitive world record level, but i can hold my own on most classic arcade games).

later

Ok. So artwork does something.  I was afraid you were going to say 4% or even more shocking 3.25%!! Good think we got that straightened up...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #531 on: October 08, 2018, 08:38:30 am »
The art doesn't do anything for the playability of the cab, but it does do something for the appeal of buying a product. en mass the art probably cost about $20 per machine based on size and quality.
I could probably get it printed for less than $40 but when you put in an order for that many, you get a deal on pricing.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #532 on: October 08, 2018, 09:36:07 am »

later

Ok. So artwork does something.  I was afraid you were going to say 4% or even more shocking 3.25%!! Good think we got that straightened up...

:lol

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #533 on: October 08, 2018, 01:03:14 pm »

later

i've played on bootleg cabs, multicades, and real official multi cabinet games, and of course generic and converted cabinets.

most of them had terrible and horrible looking graphics, so in those cases playing on a cabinet with no graphics at all was preferable.

again, it still makes no difference to me whats actually on there, as far as impact on gameplay is.

--------

i was looking up dig dug 2 to see if there was an official cabinet, apparently it was just a conversion kit, so there was no
dedicated version. i guess it was up to people to just leave the standard art, or just dump it into a plain cabinet.

so what do you suggest would be right for games that were conversion and upgrade only, and had no side art kits or control panels.

would it make any difference for the game.

no, i thought not.

later
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:07:54 pm by negative1 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #534 on: October 08, 2018, 01:46:45 pm »
Ugh, that third one looks like ass. Which one of you here built it?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:42 am
« Reply #535 on: October 08, 2018, 02:03:00 pm »

i've played on bootleg cabs, multicades, and real official multi cabinet games, and of course generic and converted cabinets.

most of them had terrible and horrible looking graphics, so in those cases playing on a cabinet with no graphics at all was preferable.

again, it still makes no difference to me whats actually on there, as far as impact on gameplay is.

I see what you are saying about artwork not effecting gameplay itself, but in terms of the overall "experience" I would say artwork is very important if not critical.  It's important to recognize, particularly for home use, that arcade cabinets spend most of their existence not actually being played.  They take up a large amount of space, with the people that live in the home and people visiting the home just walking by or glancing at it the vast majority of the time.  For the same reason that many games have an "attract mode" when not being played, artwork is important at drawing people in (or at the very least, having something cool to look at from afar).  Having a cabinet that looks fun is very important to me, as it will make me want to play it more as well as entice people that come visit to want to play it.

This was one of the reasons I preordered the Arcade1Up Rampage machine.  I love the Rampage artwork, and at first blush it looked like a screaming deal to have a miniature cab with close to original artwork for only $300.  I've got 2 little girls that will hopefully want to play arcade games every once in a while, so it seemed like a no-brainer given how little free time I have lately to actually build anything.

As silly and trivial as it sounds, the videos showing the unpainted backs of the Arcade1Up cabs was a huge red flag to me.  The amount of money saved by not painting that section had to be negligible, but if they were willing to cut corners there what does that mean for the rest of the build?  A few weeks later seeing the artwork rubbing off was enough to get me to cancel the preorder... I was willing to swap in better parts and throw a Pi in there for more functionality, but the main selling point for me was the aesthetics of the cab and it seems like too many compromises were made in that department for me to be comfortable throwing $300 their way.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #536 on: October 08, 2018, 02:03:27 pm »
good for for him.

someone decided to rewire the buttons for playing defender:

! No longer available

baby steps, and at some point, he will get more wires, recable it, or mod the control panel completely
to make a modular replacement.

later

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #537 on: October 08, 2018, 02:08:22 pm »
Saw the centipede model unopened on FB market place for $330.
The scalping has begun!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #538 on: October 08, 2018, 03:06:37 pm »
If you don't understand the value of the complete arcade experience, you're in the wrong place. Artwork is a major part of the experience. If you don't think so, then you should just stick to getting a rPi + an arcade controller, and not bother with an actual cabinet.   

Also, if you solely care so much about only the game-play experience, and haven't mentioned anything about these lacking original controls and layouts, than your point is moot.
Lunar Lander without a Throttle control is a terrible experience.  Defender with an 8-way joystick and 2 buttons is a terrible experience. Major Havoc without the roller controller is a terrible experience.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 04:34:57 pm by opt2not »

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #539 on: October 08, 2018, 03:18:35 pm »
If you don't understand the value of the complete arcade experience, you're in the wrong place. Artwork is a major part of the experience...

Absolutely agreed.  I was going to do a mock render of one those machines covered in ---smurfy--- hand drawn crayon artwork done by a 4-year-old but ..meh.  Artwork may not affect the mechanical gameplay but it sure enhances my playing enjoyment.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #540 on: October 08, 2018, 03:23:54 pm »
Agreed.  If the games were the only part of equation that mattered this site literally wouldn't exist and we'd all be cramping our hands to try and play street fighter on a keyboard via mame.  Just pulling numbers out of my butt, I would actually say the game is only about 25% of the experience.  The controls are the other 25% and the cabinet designs along with the artwork is actually a whopping 50%  If you don't believe me then play something like Galaxy force II in the deluxe motion sim and then play in in mame on a gamepad in comparison and the game feels rather boring.  The experience is the full package. 

The art gets you to play the game in the first place and having good art on a repro reminds you of the first time you saw that cab out in the wild and how you were drawn to it.  Also it keeps the cab looking nice enough to where it doesn't have to be stuffed in an unseen corner somewhere. 

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #541 on: October 08, 2018, 04:17:50 pm »
Of the ones that are out with this first batch - I think the Galaga and the street fighter make the most sense from a controls standpoint.  I ordered the Galaga and I intend to keep it 4-way vertical games only after my modifications.  The street fighter control setup is a standard 8-way with 6 button. 

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #542 on: October 08, 2018, 04:26:45 pm »
I want to feel stoked and excited when I walk up to a machine, not disgusted.  A car gets you from point A to point B, but it's going to be a lot more fun to get in it if it looks hot.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #543 on: October 08, 2018, 05:24:35 pm »
game and gameplay > controls >>>>>>>> cabinet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> artwork

thats my order for games.

i've never been attracted to a game because of its artwork, or cabinet, and i do graphic design, art and photography on the side.

if the games controls aren't any good, i agree, then there's no point in even trying to play it, no matter how good the artwork looks.

----------------

if you want something pretty, fine.

go nuts with the lighting, the marquees, the side panels, and control artwork... maybe you guys just like to appreciate how things look.

but to me, none of that matters, if the game isn't fun, and doesn't have controls that complement it.

-----------------
i'd say the majority of games i play are covered by:
joystick + buttons [1-6]

then a tiny minority are : trackball
even smaller : spinner
lastly : racing wheel, pedals

anything else, like yokes , and other non-standard ones i don't play enough to mention.

so these tiny cabinets, cover most of the use-cases for me.

replacing them with arcade quality parts should be easy enough,
and therefore the games will be too, i am only interested in:
==================
pac-man / galaga  -> modding cabinet, adding buttons
defender / joust

centipede/mlllipede/crystal castles [liberator, quantum] -> modding another cabinet controls
tempest

also i only play 1 player games, so i don't care about the secondary buttons or other players.

later

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #544 on: October 08, 2018, 07:17:16 pm »
Will you stop typing books about these crappy cabinets and buy one already? Mister "game play first" wants to buy a cab that is ridiculously too small with ridiculously bad controls. Oh I forgot, the monitor sucks too.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #545 on: October 08, 2018, 07:41:40 pm »
Will you stop typing books about these crappy cabinets and buy one already? Mister "game play first" wants to buy a cab that is ridiculously too small with ridiculously bad controls. Oh I forgot, the monitor sucks too.

kinda hard to do when they're not out yet.

and the point was, i did want to replace the controls, duh.

later

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #546 on: October 08, 2018, 07:46:21 pm »
How about the monitor, the encoder, and overall form factor which is too small for an adult?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #547 on: October 08, 2018, 07:48:53 pm »
CP is lower than the one on a cabinet designed for sitting.

Yeah, it's an inch or so lower than the cocktail next to it, but it's higher than the cocktail in the back of the picture. The reason I posted the picture was to give a sense of scale. The A1up cabinets looked about 12" tall next to the pinball machine.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #548 on: October 09, 2018, 07:29:26 pm »
more issues with major havoc and asteroids on the deluxe version:

! No longer available

later

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #549 on: October 09, 2018, 07:34:41 pm »
I wonder if the issue is just with his cabinet? The other videos I saw showed normal performance

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #550 on: October 09, 2018, 08:17:55 pm »
I wonder if the issue is just with his cabinet? The other videos I saw showed normal performance

that video is from the standalone version. so it's not known whether they copied the code over or modified it
for the deluxe causing the issue.

only one person mentioned they have the deluxe version, and have no issues with it, but only have tested it for one hour.

here are other games with issues on the deluxe, they all exhibit frame skipping issues to maintain framerate:
=====================================
asteroids problems : https://twitter.com/MichaelAtamian/status/1048921155955040257

framerate issues:
tempest  :
millipede :
centipede :

later

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2019, 08:10:59 am
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #551 on: October 09, 2018, 09:24:10 pm »
I would "like" to have a couple of these at some point, yes. But they are by NO MEANS the best you can get, not even close imo. I've had a PC with MALA and all my games on it for a few years now, but I play them with 360 controllers. As others have said, it DOES take away from the experience. So I'm planning on going with the big 4 player machine from recroom masters, as soon as I can afford it. I figure if I'm gonna spend some money on it, I might as well get EXACTLY what I want. These little arcade 1 ups just won't do it for me.

As others have said, I also feel the art work IS important. That's why, when I get mine, I'm gonna have to go all out and have art work. Its NOT the most important aspect, no. But it helps really draw attention to them.
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #552 on: October 10, 2018, 12:04:17 am »
interesting, i thought about this, but wasn't sure it was official

from a response on facebook about their upcoming line of cabinets:

"The current line of machines will not continue to be manufactured in 2019. They will be replaced with new machines."

So, if you really want one of the current models, don't wait too long, as the supply will dry up, and you'll probably
have to look for a used machine.

i knew about all the limited editions: pac-man, space invaders, galaga, and the deluxe

but this makes them all seem limited.

later

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #553 on: October 10, 2018, 02:45:07 pm »

100% agree - artwork (to me) is at least 50% of the equation.  If the art is bad or the shape of the cab is bad then I don't even want to play.  The way it looks in the home is so important - I can't overstate this enough.  It's why so many cool projects won't get a second look - it has to catch the eye.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #554 on: October 10, 2018, 04:45:22 pm »
but this makes them all seem limited.

I predict this will be a total marketing ploy. They'll release the same kit next year with some small improvements. Or, they'll skip a year and do limited runs periodically.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #555 on: October 12, 2018, 12:58:18 am »
here's the protective control panel cover for sf2, looks decent, good job kid:

! No longer available

later

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #556 on: October 12, 2018, 01:17:45 am »
That's actually no solution at all unless you still have a perfect CP.   :dunno
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #557 on: October 12, 2018, 10:13:30 am »
That's actually no solution at all unless you still have a perfect CP.   :dunno

It also completely changes the feel because it lowers all of the buttons by the thickness of the acrylic.  Should have cut smaller holes and had everyone open up the CP, pop out the buttons and reinstall with the acrylic.  Buttons would also hold it in place.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #558 on: October 12, 2018, 11:57:45 am »
...Should have cut smaller holes and had everyone open up the CP, pop out the buttons and reinstall with the acrylic.  Buttons would also hold it in place.
Since the buttons snap in, they might not be able to get a good snap with the added thickness. If they're going to leave the kid with a scratched panel, they aren't going to care much about the feel either.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #559 on: October 13, 2018, 12:41:01 pm »
I've been thinking on it, and I really think some of you naysayers need to look at the whole Arcade1up product line differently. It's really inspiring to see folks get the retro arcade bug and enjoying playing games from their youth. At some point, you felt the same excitement and wax nostalgic to bring an arcade game into your home. Before we agonized over controller types and fought about CRT vs LCD's, we were all grateful for the ability to just play the games from our youth again.

Arcade1up made some design and ergonomic decisions to make arcade games accessible to more people. This is a good thing as it increases the audience. There is a community starting to emerge with the modding bug and surely some of them will make their way here wanting to make their experience even more authentic. Unlike previous arcade attempts like iCade and arcade treasures, these units more closely resemble their big brothers and have a lot of people excited to play\mod\own them. Who knows how long this company will be around, but while they are around, I think these machines, and the people that play them, would be a nice injection of excitement and hopefully new faces into our community.

:cheers: