Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets  (Read 223466 times)

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2018, 12:41:19 pm »
Saw off the bottom below the control panel and you have bartop.  Just sayin'  ;)

Yeah, I said the same thing a couple months ago. I think that might be a viable option (assuming the measurements workout).
Another option would be to cut a couple feet off the bottom and make a bartop out of it.

Yeah... but if you cut a couple feet off the bottom, you'd lose the CP. :lol

I only laugh at the size of these things. They weren't marketed correctly at all. Should have been pitched as a toy for little kids from the get-go. Not as a "3/4 scale quality arcade machine for collectors and nerds".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:42:56 pm by Nephasth »
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2018, 12:59:20 pm »
Are you really interested in this midget cabinet? I really don't see why anyone would buy such a thing (to mod or play or whatever...

People seem to love bartops.  These are basically a bartop from the control panel up.  A decent bartop CNC kit can cost upwards of $200 before you even add art, buttons, computer/pi.  For $299 these seem perfect for kids, folks with space limitations (on a riser), and folks who are not arcade/DIY savy.    I can totally see why plenty of folks would buy one.  From an arcade hobbyist perspective not so much, but these are obviously not aimed at us....

These are teeny tiny! That doesn't look like a very comfortable way to play. Are they worth throwing money at to mod?

Saw off the bottom below the control panel and you have bartop.  Just sayin'  ;)

But if you do that on the Galaga, you’ll loose almost ALL the side art!!1!1
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2018, 01:02:16 pm »
At the time, we weren't sure the measurements. :)

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2018, 01:24:55 pm »

I wouldn't actually do it  ;D

I was just trying to give some perspective on these things.  They are small, but they are cheap, easy to put together, readily available, and fully licensed.  Comparing them to a real arcade cabinet is silly, and once you get past that idea, I think these machines are kinda cool and have a real niche.

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #444 on: September 29, 2018, 01:27:26 pm »

which is a controller, converter for the monitor inside the cabinet.

from there, you can work on trying out pandoras box, or raspberry pi.

stay tuned..........

later
Are you really interested in this midget cabinet? I really don't see why anyone would buy such a thing (to mod or play or whatever...

yes, the pac-man cabinet looks awesome, and they can't screw up the controls on that.
making it into a multi-pac would be something i would try.
----
ms pac-man
jr pac-man
pac n pal
super pac man
pac attack
pac mania
pac man plus is included already
--
and some boots
ms pac man plus
ms pac attack
ms pac at night

also the deluxe atari one, has quantum on it, which is hard to get on its own.
i don't care about liberator or asteroids deluxe.

that's why i'm keeping an eye on them.

the space invaders cabinet looks pretty awesome too (if you replace
the joystick with buttons).

it's a size, space and cost issue.

i can't afford several cabinets.
i have one real one, and thats enough.

later

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #445 on: September 29, 2018, 01:34:36 pm »
This one may have been pointed out before - but I just ran across it today:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-deluxe-edition-12-in-1-arcade-cabinet-with-riser-atari-graphics/6288355.p?skuId=6288355&ref=06&loc=01&msclkid=910b0cbcd9de1c6633dd57136f0e38af&gclid=CJnGmvre4N0CFQjbswodSFMOyA&gclsrc=ds#

12 in 1 for $399 including the riser.  Based on this, I would not be surprised if the $299 machines get discounted down to $249 before the holidays. 

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #446 on: September 29, 2018, 01:36:56 pm »

OR if you are building your own you can get both the monitor panel (same brand and model) with the driver board included for $58 ( not sure what shipping would be though) -- https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-17-inch-TFT-LCD-Panel_60762429262.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.74.1bfa48aeHHuMDY

Nice thing about the monitor is it uses 5v power so could run both the pi and the monitor on a single power source.

i don't know if anyone here would want to build a 3/4 scale machine on their own.

the point is to use the assets from the prebuilt one to modify into something
more expandable.

yes, you could build a clone, but would it be cheaper.

thats the question people have been trying to answer since the start of the thread.
possibly, but a lot of people don't have the skills, or time to do that.

messing around with connecters, and screws yes, but woodwork, gluing, sanding, etc, probably not.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #447 on: September 29, 2018, 01:40:34 pm »
This one may have been pointed out before - but I just ran across it today:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-deluxe-edition-12-in-1-arcade-cabinet-with-riser-atari-graphics/6288355.p?skuId=6288355&ref=06&loc=01&msclkid=910b0cbcd9de1c6633dd57136f0e38af&gclid=CJnGmvre4N0CFQjbswodSFMOyA&gclsrc=ds#

12 in 1 for $399 including the riser.  Based on this, I would not be surprised if the $299 machines get discounted down to $249 before the holidays.

yes, it has been pointed out early on in the discussion.

there are several problems with this unit.
---------------------------------------------
- only has a horizontal monitor, so the games with vertical orientation are compressed visually
(but probably still have the correct aspect ratio)

- control panel has no graphics

- very poor spinner and trackball, all of those games suffer

- the extra games aren't that well known, and for most people not worth it
  gravitar, quantum, liberator, asteroids deluxe are very minor

- best buy exclusive

===============

so, like they say, jack of all trades, and master of none.

basically a very frankenstein collection of games and controls.

later
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:52:55 pm by negative1 »

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #448 on: September 29, 2018, 04:01:50 pm »
yes, you could build a clone, but would it be cheaper.

thats the question people have been trying to answer since the start of the thread.
possibly, but a lot of people don't have the skills, or time to do that.

Well now that would depend on what parts you used - it could definitely be made cheaper if you use the same lower quality parts/materials these use but would be about the same price or a bit more if you went with higher quality parts (ie. kind of like the concept of buying one of these and modding it with new parts is going to increase the cost ! ) - In the end though you'd wind up with a much more stable longer lasting build -- And this after all is BYOAC which would mean it probably has a good number of people on it that would have the skills and time to build it themselves !  :dunno

Figure a quick breakdown of the costs involved

$60 - for a 17" monitor ( if you use the same panel they did or free to $10+/- if you go craigslist.)
$30 - $50 for an old PC or Rpi ( figure could go pi zero and have better CPU/GPU than the Allwinner A13 chip they use !)
$25 1 sheet of 1/2" MDF
$20 for a sheet of plexi for the monitor bezel
$20 for misc. screws and other hardware
$80 - $100 for artwork printing

Which would be about $200 - $250 give or take leaving plenty for the controls ( the type they used ( $20 for a trackball and similar for a zero delay and button set) - but a bit tight for higher quality parts.)

So sure it can be built cheaper or could cost more ( But if buying as a base for modding you're also looking at spending more since you'll be upgrading most of the internals which are already accounted for in the home build initial build costs. ( ie. the Pi or PC, Controls/ etc. )

Don't get me wrong I think these are a good price point for the product they are releasing but if you plan to mod it then it is a bit higher price than you need to spend for the base pieces and are not really the quality they should be to make use of them for that - at that point you are better off just building from scratch IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:07:48 pm by JDFan »

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #449 on: September 29, 2018, 05:08:15 pm »
Everybody's got a different plan - I pre-ordered the Galaga cab.  I plan to add a free core2duo computer (have had lying around for a few years).  I will probably also replace the monitor with a 17" dell (again, free).  That way I can just wire the controls up to a zero delay and be off and running.  I am going to only load dedicated 4-way vertical games.  If the existing joystick sucks ass I will upgrade that to a better 4 way. 

I can then sell the monitor and pcb.  So my plans don't really involve any additional money spent (maybe $30-40 for a good 4 way joystick and zero delay).  This one will go to my 9 year old nephew for Christmas.  If I end up liking the form factor I will order a second one for myself....

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #450 on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:52 pm »
300 dollar Christmas gift for your nephew? How do I get on your Christmas list?

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #451 on: September 29, 2018, 06:28:16 pm »
300 dollar Christmas gift for your nephew? How do I get on your Christmas list?

My brother is going in 50/50 with me  :)

We should totally have a BYOAC secret Santa...start a thread?  :applaud:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #452 on: September 29, 2018, 06:34:36 pm »
I like it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #453 on: September 29, 2018, 09:54:34 pm »
I've got a 60% scale Pac Man cabinet and it's still taller than these things. Took a tape measure to my pinball machines and everything. 

:lol

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #454 on: September 30, 2018, 06:24:28 am »
For those buying these be sure to take the time to either add a plexi cover or at least some clear coat to the artwork on the Control panel --- Here's a pic I came accross on another forum of a display unit in a Walmart after 1 - 2 weeks on display

Looks like they really messed up on protecting the artwork.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #455 on: September 30, 2018, 06:32:39 am »
This thing is overpriced at 300 dollars. This is why you wait until a product is out in the wild before buying it.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #456 on: September 30, 2018, 11:34:57 am »
I saw that pic too. I believe it was from a unit that spent  a couple days of constant use at a show. It definitely validates some of the concern that the CP is just side art artwork material and isn't super durable.

The thing is, I've done the same thing with my cabinets. I used side art material for my CP on a couple cabinets. They still look brand new because the amount of play on them is minimal. One of them is a Galaga, and I actually prefer the side art material since it conforms to the curve better than OEM CPO. I don't mind some character with my arcades, but the wear on that CP is too heavy and not something we would've seen in an arcade.

When buying something like this, this close to Christmas, it's tricky. If you would've waited on the NES Classic, you would have been disappointed because they sold out and never more at the same price point. It's possible these could've went the same way. Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much $300 is to you, how much enjoyment you'll get out of the machine, and what you're expectations are.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #457 on: September 30, 2018, 12:24:43 pm »
I agree - It really depends on what $300 means to you and what your plans are for the thing -- Figure at least they seem to be trying to do something and have already said they are working on a fix to this issue - probably too late for those they made and shipped already but they will probably either start adding a clear coat laminate layer to give it more durability or start including a thin plexi panel in the kits going forward - How they address the issue with the initial units we'll have to wait and see. IF they are actually in this for the long run like they seem to be a lot will depend on how the fix the issues with the initial release.

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 10:42:04 am
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
« Reply #458 on: September 30, 2018, 12:29:20 pm »
I saw that pic too. I believe it was from a unit that spent  a couple days of constant use at a show. It definitely validates some of the concern that the CP is just side art artwork material and isn't super durable.

The thing is, I've done the same thing with my cabinets. I used side art material for my CP on a couple cabinets. They still look brand new because the amount of play on them is minimal. One of them is a Galaga, and I actually prefer the side art material since it conforms to the curve better than OEM CPO. I don't mind some character with my arcades, but the wear on that CP is too heavy and not something we would've seen in an arcade.

When buying something like this, this close to Christmas, it's tricky. If you would've waited on the NES Classic, you would have been disappointed because they sold out and never more at the same price point. It's possible these could've went the same way. Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much $300 is to you, how much enjoyment you'll get out of the machine, and what you're expectations are.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2018, 01:59:57 pm »
Stacks of dusty NES and Snes in stores here. Those things went old and busted quick.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2018, 02:30:15 pm »
If you would've waited on the NES Classic, you would have been disappointed because they sold out and never more at the same price point. It's possible these could've went the same way.

NES and SNES both in stock at list price anywhere I go anymore.

Besides, if supply issues prevented anyone from wasting money on one of these toy cabinets I'm sure they would be thankful for it later on.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2018, 02:51:27 pm »
When buying something like this, this close to Christmas, it's tricky

I never bother to do this. I buy gifts that are available. Or sometimes I make gifts. I never worry about the "got to have" Christmas item. My family Christmas policy has always been to have fun and not spend a bunch of money on gifts. I feel bad when I see so many people stress out about Christmas because they have to buy the perfect gift.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2018, 03:26:36 pm »
Yes, Mike, we're sheeple. Thanks.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #463 on: October 01, 2018, 01:52:07 am »
If you would've waited on the NES Classic, you would have been disappointed because they sold out and never more at the same price point. It's possible these could've went the same way.

Besides, if supply issues prevented anyone from wasting money on one of these toy cabinets I'm sure they would be thankful for it later on.

not really a fair comparison, as nintendo has screwed up every single hardware launch they've ever had,
and intentionally starve the outlets of products by underproducing.

it's well known that's how they operate.

they couldn't launch a successful product if their life depended on it, which is why they're always lagging behind
the other console makers.

later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #464 on: October 01, 2018, 03:15:33 am »
Yeah man the original NES launch was a disaster what with all of America wanting one until eventually one in three households had a NES.  Snes, N64, ect nobody wanted them.  That wii was a total disaster with it becoming the greatest selling console of all time at that point.  Yeah nobody wants the switch either, that's why it's the fast selling console this gen. 

Sorry man, but Nintendo is great at most launches and has had some of the best launch titles of all time... the fact that they've recently had trouble determining demand and NOT artificially increasing it doesn't change that. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2018, 10:46:27 am »

not really a fair comparison, as nintendo has screwed up every single hardware launch they've ever had,
and intentionally starve the outlets of products by underproducing.

it's well known that's how they operate.

they couldn't launch a successful product if their life depended on it, which is why they're always lagging behind
the other console makers.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #466 on: October 01, 2018, 11:00:04 am »
the raspberry PI mod for arcade 1up:

! No longer available

later

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #467 on: October 01, 2018, 11:41:24 am »
I'm not sure if replacing everything except for the wooden box counts as a 'mod.'

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #468 on: October 01, 2018, 11:44:35 am »
I'm not sure if replacing everything except for the wooden box counts as a 'mod.'

It’s the new “lifehack”

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #469 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:25 pm »

true, but this is basically an entry level machine, so people can barely figure
out how to replace the sticks and buttons.

this is the next step.

at this point, people will either decide to buy/build their own blank cabinet,
and take the next step from their to full featured or larger size ones.

i'm interested, (but not with a pi, but a pc), because it saves me a lot of steps
that i can't do otherwise, and although it might not be much cheaper,
its a lot less hassles.

obviously, to people on this board, it will be trivial.

-------------

this is in a way a good thing for the community i think, because it is bringing retro and classic gaming
back into the public view, in a much better way than - micro, mini, and toy consoles. they all
have their place with budget gamers.

this is cashing on the sentimental and nostalgia factor, but i do see a lot of questions, and possibilities of
people looking into better alternatives, building their own cabinets, buying used ones, and figuring out
different price points they are comfortable with.

i live in a house, so i have tons of space for arcade machines (i own 1 standup already), but i have no
desire for anymore. i would rather have some mini ones, with a few select games on them.

this possibility allows for that, although the recroommasters 3/4 cabinet is also a better possibility,
but with less features, as you have to supply more to get it up and running.

i look forward to seeing future enhancements that people do.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #470 on: October 01, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »

People seem to love bartops.  These are basically a bartop from the control panel up.  A decent bartop CNC kit can cost upwards of $200 before you even add art, buttons, computer/pi.  For $299 these seem perfect for kids, folks with space limitations (on a riser), and folks who are not arcade/DIY savy.    I can totally see why plenty of folks would buy one.  From an arcade hobbyist perspective not so much, but these are obviously not aimed at us....

These are teeny tiny! That doesn't look like a very comfortable way to play. Are they worth throwing money at to mod?

in the original videos from the companies.

they are testing out designs for bartop models, like qbert and dig dug,

(there's a 3rd one i can't tell what it is, with 2 joysticks)

and also for cocktail cabinets (space invaders, sf2 with split screen)

but there is no pricepoint on those configurations yet.

later
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:10:37 pm by negative1 »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #471 on: October 03, 2018, 04:02:21 am »
here's a better comparison of the cabinet with a riser, a cabaret, and full size cabinet:

! No longer available

later

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #472 on: October 03, 2018, 04:11:01 am »
Damn that's a pathetic looking little bugger.   :laugh2: Still don't get it. Why don't they create a normal sized cabinet? Logistics??

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #473 on: October 03, 2018, 05:05:59 am »
Damn that's a pathetic looking little bugger.   :laugh2: Still don't get it. Why don't they create a normal sized cabinet? Logistics??

Yep a combination of Logistics and Licensing -- the parent company of the subsidiary making these has existing licensing for Toy arcade units which means they can make them up to a certain size while going over that size and making them full size arcade machines would mean they need to negotiate new licensing ( IIRC they also own the company making the Tiny Arcade toys and the licensing they got for those machines are what they are also using on these Arcade1up machines)

Also products over 4' and around 70 LBs. start getting into extra fees in the distribution channel since store shelfs are designed for products under 48 inches and many companies have weight restrictions on what their employees can lift/move without special equipment and customers will have a harder time getting it from the store to home without paying to have it delivered if they can not fit it into their car.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #474 on: October 03, 2018, 06:56:21 am »
If they make those bartops, they'll struggle with the same thing anyone has made a bartop knows. People think they should cost a lot less because they are much smaller.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #475 on: October 03, 2018, 08:46:31 am »
If they make those bartops, they'll struggle with the same thing anyone has made a bartop knows. People think they should cost a lot less because they are much smaller.

Probably would have worked well if they made the ones they are releasing a 2 piece unit with a Bartop machine and the riser was made larger ( taller) so it acted like a table for the bartop to sit on top off making it the proper height of a full size cab - if they could have done the bartops approx the same width and depth as the 3/4 size units they are releasing and then made the riser a base instead - then sell the bartops for say $229 - $249 and the base for $50 or even $75. ( $50 if the made the base a simple solid color and $75 if they included a modified sideart of some sort.) 

Figure if they reworked the art to have the base work with all of the models and each bartop model have adjusted side art that stuck to a single classic machines concept leaving the Marquee and CP the way they have them now.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #476 on: October 03, 2018, 09:23:27 am »
A bartop sized turd is still a turd.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #477 on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:11 am »
A bartop sized turd is still a turd.

I think they refer to them as “nuggets” at that size.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #478 on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:37 am »
What is a turd on a riser called?

Osirus23

• Offline Offline