Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets  (Read 223406 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2018, 07:12:54 pm »
Mike, you sure are worried about how grown men spend their own money and it’s crossing the line into weird.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2018, 08:17:19 pm »
Coming from captain normal, I will take that under advisement.
Maybe I have been too strident on this subject.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:41:27 pm by Mike A »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2018, 10:57:37 pm »
As I definitely appreciate Mike’s passion, ultimately the best thing to do is just outline the pros and cons and let people decide how they should spend their funds.

But as someone who has modded these types of commercial cabs, I can tell you it’s not always straight-forward.
I once converted an Arcade Legends 2 to JAMMA for a friend of mine so that he could throw a Pandora’s Box into it.
Had to completely re-wire the whole cab, power and all. Also had to cut a whole new CP for he’s desired layout, apply a new CPO, replaced all controls with higher quality gear — you will definitely find these type of cabs have low-quality controls that are practically throw-aways once you try them. All-in-all it’s still a lot of work to get to the level of our standard DIY cabs here. In the end it still just looks like you bought it at Walmart even though you’ve put a ton of work and updates to.

Personally I don’t think it’s worth it. But it’s a $300 starter that gets you maybe halfway there to as close to an authentic arcade experience for what these things are. But it’ll never be to the level of a full fledged authentic cab.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2018, 11:08:53 pm »
Thank you for saying I am nuts without actually saying it. I appreciate the effort. :cheers:

I won't bother anyone about this anymore.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2018, 11:50:33 pm »
You’re not nuts, Mike. Everything you’ve said I agree with. But we come from different schools than the main demographic this product is targeting.

No, putting these into your line-up of legit original full-sized cabs and thinking it looks good, now that’s nuts. Spending 3 bills on these though, meh, I’ve thrown money at stupider things. (Looking at you NES and SNES Classic Minis)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2018, 12:10:00 am »
Hey now, don't bring the Classics into this fight cause it's one you can't win.  They're officially sanctioned by Nintendo plug n play consoles..... that's like finding a unicorn right there. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2018, 01:33:04 am »
I know I know, but it was stupid for me to spend money on. I already own 2 original revisions of each console (NES front loader, top-loader, SNES and SNES jr), an HDMI clone for both (AVS and SuperNT) have most of my original collection of carts, plus flash carts for each. My original NES’s and SNES jr are RGB modded, and I have an OSSC and a Framemeister. There was absolutely no reason to buy the classic minis other than sheer fanboy hoarding.

gojetsgo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2023, 11:02:13 pm
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2018, 01:51:02 am »
Considering one of these. I have a 4-year old and 6-month old, so the small size is a selling point to me.  I've already built a 1-player 4 foot high mini cab, but a centipede would look great next to it - and help resolve the conflict of sharing when the cousins come over.

Unfortunately, these aren't available in Canada.  Not really work the trouble to drive an hour to the border... Probably. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2018, 04:24:53 am »
Considering one of these. I have a 4-year old and 6-month old, so the small size is a selling point to me.  I've already built a 1-player 4 foot high mini cab, but a centipede would look great next to it - and help resolve the conflict of sharing when the cousins come over.

Unfortunately, these aren't available in Canada.  Not really work the trouble to drive an hour to the border... Probably.

The arcade 1up website shows them available at Walmart Canada -- https://www.walmart.ca/search/arcade1up though the price is $499 Canadian (so closer to the $399 price instead of $299)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2018, 11:00:57 am »
Another option would be to cut a couple feet off the bottom and make a bartop out of it.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2018, 11:19:24 am »
Lot of opinions on these and I understand everyone's points.  We all have different perspectives.  Everybody's opinion is valid from their own perspective.  The reason I am going to get one and give it a try is for my own reasons.  I have been fooling around in this hobby for about the past 3 years.  I started by building a mame cabinet from scratch using one sheet of plywood and some scrap wood I had lying around.  I also had a tankstick that I got off CL for $60.  I am a computer guy - I managed a Gateway Country store back in the late 90s, and have been building computers and computer gaming for all my adult life.  So for me, the fun of building a mame machine was in getting the computer setup and tweaking the software.  I managed to build a presentable cabinet around my tankstick, but the actual building of the cabinet was my least favorite part of the whole process.  My next project was a Wizard of Wor original cabinet that I bought two years ago.  I replaced the power supply with a new one and got it to the point of playing blind.  I believe there is an issue with the video relay board, but it could also be the monitor.  The cabinet is in my basement and I haven't touched it in a year and a half.  This project has taught me that I really don't want to fool around with original cabinets and CRT monitor repair.  Again, some guys love this stuff, for me its a pain in the ass and I have no interest in re-flowing pcbs and re-capping monitors.  After I shelved the Wizard of Wor (I will sell it or get back to it one final time later this year) I bought a professionally constructed, but empty, arcade cabinet off CL.  I went ahead and added a PC, buttons, and LCD, and ordered a generic art package for cheap.  The cabinet came out nice (the construction was top notch to begin with) and sold it to my buddy who wanted a mame machine for his basement.  I have a lot of fun populating the control panel, and wiring and setting up the software.  Next, I bought a non-working and mostly stripped out M.A.C.H 3 cabinet.  I have always been a fan of rotary shooters so I bought a set of LS-30s, a full Ikari Warriors art package, and made it into a mame multi-rotary machine.  I also bought a non-working Chase HQ that I intend to convert into a mame multi-racer.  So I have some experience building, modding, and generally fooling around with arcade cabinets.

So going forward in the arcade hobby I have come to a few realizations.  What I enjoy about this hobby is the emulation/computer setup.  What I don't enjoy is messing with old CRTs and original arcade equipment.  I also don't really enjoy the cabinet building part of the hobby.  My vision for my small basement arcade space is to have about half a dozen machines setup to play specific groups of games.  I have my multi-rotary, I have my multi-racer, I would like to add a 4-way vertical cab, an 8 way vertical cab, and an 8 way horizontal cab.  My play anything tankstick build is upstairs in my computer room. 

So given what I want, and what I like to do, I could either keep buying empty or non-working original cabinets and converting them, or template out and build replica cabinets to house my mame machines.  So here's where the arcade1up machines possibly come in.  They address a few issues for me.

1. Space, I like the smaller profile (not the height but that's easily addressable)
2. I like the art packages - Galaga, Centipede, street fighter, etc.  I also like that the work is already done as far as this goes.
3. I like the ready to assemble format vs. building from scratch.
4. They appear to be easily modded, even if that means taking out the monitor/pcb that comes with it and adding a 17" LCD of my own and a pi with a zero delay (total parts cost about $65 as I get 17" 4:3 LCDs free.
5. At $299 they are about what I would have to spend to build a replica cabinet from scratch (including artwork, buttons, t-molding, etc) and I don't have to mess around building it from scratch.

So I am going to get one to see what the thing is all about in person.  If build quality is decent and I feel I can work with the format, I may buy a few more and mod them up.  That's what I enjoy doing.  Modding and setting up software and working with pi or computers.  If I find out that the thing is not built to a standard I can work with, I will just mod it up and sell it my brother for cost.  He has two young kids and has been asking me to build him something for them anyway.  For less than $400 I can give him a pi-modded machine with a couple of dozen games on it that his kids can beat up for a few years.  If the thing is total garbage I will just return it to Wally world for a refund.  End of story.

I know...cool story bro....  I don't expect any of you guys who love the cabinet building process, or love the artwork design process, or love restoring original machines, to have any interest in these pre-fab units.  They are not for you anyway.  They are aimed at the guy who wants a cool looking game for his kids, but has no interest in building his own.  And, maybe, these machines will work for a guy like me, we will see...  :cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2018, 11:24:38 am »
It's a fair point.

The best part was the Gateway Country store employee part. I bought my 2nd "real" computer there. A P2 400mhz. I had to finance it for a year.

Good times.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2018, 11:42:18 am »
It's a fair point.

The best part was the Gateway Country store employee part. I bought my 2nd "real" computer there. A P2 400mhz. I had to finance it for a year.

Good times.

I managed the store in Albany (Latham) NY from when it opened in 1997 until 2000.  Best job I ever had.  We had two training rooms with a dozen computers all networked together in each.  We came in early on Sunday's and played Command and Conquer Red Alert and Quake II on the lan.  Fun times for sure.  I got out to start a career as a financial planner, to get out of the retail grind.  Holidays, weekends, inventory...yuck.  ;D

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2018, 12:21:12 pm »
Those Gateway stores were great resources for local small IT shops.  We would go there to get a hands on look at laptops and other gadgets before ordering for our users.  It was nice have local salespeople to talk to as well. 

deadpool18

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2019, 04:22:48 pm
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2018, 01:05:02 pm »
I'm seriously tempted to order the Galaga and Asteroids cabinets. I have absolutely no room left in my small house. Even these would require some creative reorganizing. I like that I can just pick the cabinet up and move it to another room.

My kids love Galaga and would have fun just playing this sort of quick and easy. The Asteroids cabinet appeals to me because of the art, control panel layout (playing Asteroids with a joystick is not the same), spinner for Tempest, and the fact that vector games look good on an LCD (obviously a vector monitor would be ideal, but LCD looks better than a standard crt for these games).

I really wish Asteroids Deluxe was included, considering the prototype featured it. I actually prefer deluxe, even though I love both games!

$300 is reasonable for what you get, assuming the quality is good. $400 was pushing it though...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:11:23 pm by deadpool18 »

gojetsgo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2023, 11:02:13 pm
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2018, 01:09:43 pm »
The arcade 1up website shows them available at Walmart Canada -- https://www.walmart.ca/search/arcade1up though the price is $499 Canadian (so closer to the $399 price instead of $299)

Thanks, I didn't notice that.  500 is getting a bit too pricey - it would be only 390 CAD if the US price was simply converted. Might as well tack on another 25%.  Damned retailers always gouging Canadians..

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2018, 01:28:52 pm »
This thread has everything.  Meltdowns over other people’s money, the strong compulsion to measure your collector cock and brag about things you’ve bought, “if this was 1982 I could throw this computer clean over them mountains.”

Keep it going.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2018, 01:57:30 pm »

Thanks, I didn't notice that.  500 is getting a bit too pricey - it would be only 390 CAD if the US price was simply converted. Might as well tack on another 25%.  Damned retailers always gouging Canadians..

It's probably more your Govt. and the duties/taxes they add and the shipping companies rates - but then again it might just be they haven't seen the $100 price reductions that the US stores have made ( Gamestop was at $399 when it first went up but then dropped to $299 after Walmart put theirs up at that price ) so maybe check with walmart.ca and see if they are going to lower it there also since like you say it would be closer to $390 ca if you just converted the price here. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2018, 02:37:16 pm »
This thread has everything.  Meltdowns over other people’s money, the strong compulsion to measure your collector cock and brag about things you’ve bought, “if this was 1982 I could throw this computer clean over them mountains.”

Keep it going.
Including double-standard commentaries, "I'll defend your right to spend your money, but I'll ridicule you for doing so if you mention what you've spent it on".   ::)

deadpool18

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2019, 04:22:48 pm
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2018, 02:43:04 pm »
Anyone know if the game lineup got cut down for the Asteroids and Centipede cabinets?  I saw this on Youtube in the sizzle reel by the official Arcade1up channel.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2018, 03:08:29 pm »
Anyone know if the game lineup got cut down for the Asteroids and Centipede cabinets?  I saw this on Youtube in the sizzle reel by the official Arcade1up channel.

Yeah they've changed several of the lineups - guess they had some difficulty getting licensing on some and moved some others around to even out the value of the games on the various units along with pairing up the similar CP layouts to keep the pricing the same on all of them.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2018, 03:26:08 pm »
Including double-standard commentaries, "I'll defend your right to spend your money, but I'll ridicule you for doing so if you mention what you've spent it on".   ::)

Have you considered a pi?

:cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2018, 03:46:27 pm »
Oh geez don’t start with that now.  :lol

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2018, 05:12:39 pm »

Keep it going.

lol  :laugh2:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2018, 09:44:20 pm »

Keep it going.
It's not complete until it has a 2,000 word rant by you know who.
There is still time.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2018, 10:09:36 pm »
 Buy what you dig, bros. Buy what you dig.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2018, 10:59:13 am »
After watching the assembly video, I wish we knew what was inside that controller.  I'm really hoping I can hack that monitor into a VGA or hdmi cable.  Controllers I'm sure it will be ok with..  Hopefully it wont' be too hard to hack to a pi or pc. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2018, 05:24:52 pm »
After watching the assembly video, I wish we knew what was inside that controller.  I'm really hoping I can hack that monitor into a VGA or hdmi cable.  Controllers I'm sure it will be ok with..  Hopefully it wont' be too hard to hack to a pi or pc.

Hey man, long time no type.  That ribbon cable between the lcd and control panel is what I was getting at earlier.  That's a lot of wires, so it makes me think it's the input wires feeding to the motherboard attached to the lcd…. one for each input and a ground.  If not then that's an awful lot of wires to run to the cp... all that's needed is +V, Gnd, R,G,B, and sync.  So the only way the main board is in the cp is if the lcd driver board is also in the cp, and then you gotta wonder wtf the large box attached to the lcd has in it aside from a power jack and a socket for the ribbon cable. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2018, 11:10:20 pm »
Funny, I was already working on something like this before I even knew these existed.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:12:03 pm by shaolindrunkard »

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2018, 12:36:17 am »
It's a fair point.

Good times.

I managed the store in Albany (Latham) NY from when it opened in 1997 until 2000.  Best job I ever had.  We had two training rooms with a dozen computers all networked together in each.  We came in early on Sunday's and played Command and Conquer Red Alert and Quake II on the lan.  Fun times for sure.  I got out to start a career as a financial planner, to get out of the retail grind.  Holidays, weekends, inventory...yuck.  ;D

I used to work at gateway computers too! It was a very fun job. We used to play doom III against each other all the time. I remember I set up a shoutcast server from home and streamed my music to the store using winamp. I did sales and even did some training classes for a bit too which introduced me to the more advanced things excel can do. It sucked when they closed and I was laid off, I still have one of their wooden rocking chairs too! What was great ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- them is that it was more than just computers but rather solutions. Their media center PC  and music streaming setup was ahead of their time.

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:49:20 am
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2018, 02:12:01 am »

I'm going to add a projector, a series of mirrors, and a fishtank to mine!

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2018, 07:21:56 am »
It's a fair point.

Good times.

I used to work at gateway computers too! It was a very fun job. We used to play doom III against each other all the time. I remember I set up a shoutcast server from home and streamed my music to the store using winamp. I did sales and even did some training classes for a bit too which introduced me to the more advanced things excel can do. It sucked when they closed and I was laid off, I still have one of their wooden rocking chairs too! What was great ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- them is that it was more than just computers but rather solutions. Their media center PC  and music streaming setup was ahead of their time.

Nice.  I left in mid-2000.  So I was there during the 1999 "Y2K" fiasco.  Funny times trying to convince folks that their computer would work just fine after the clocked ticked over to the year 2000.  Hell some folks thought their toaster was going to explode.  I bought our floor model Destination computer with the 36" CRT and the large media stand.  I still have it in the basement.  :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2018, 08:38:32 am »

I'm going to add a projector, a series of mirrors, and a fishtank to mine!

* yotsuya doesn’t even bat an eye
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2018, 10:35:47 am »
I bought our floor model Destination computer with the 36" CRT and the large media stand.  I still have it in the basement.  :)

Those Destination monitors were pretty cool since they had a VGA connection.    I had one I got from work that I toyed with using for a mame cab.  It was just so darn big and heavy.   

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2018, 10:54:53 am »
I bought our floor model Destination computer with the 36" CRT and the large media stand.  I still have it in the basement.  :)

Those Destination monitors were pretty cool since they had a VGA connection.    I had one I got from work that I toyed with using for a mame cab.  It was just so darn big and heavy.

Its a beast.  I have a coinOPs modded xbox hooked up to it.  That said, would love to get rid of it to free up some room but nobody wants it and I cant bring myself to trash it.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2018, 11:38:44 am »

B.uy Y.our O.wn A.rcade C.onsole

:lol
%Bartop

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2018, 12:08:13 pm »

Its a beast.  I have a coinOPs modded xbox hooked up to it.  That said, would love to get rid of it to free up some room but nobody wants it and I cant bring myself to trash it.
My old boss had one of those. It was one of the first attempts at a home theater PC. IIRC, the monitor was only 800 X 600 so it wasn't HD quality and the computer it came with ran a version of Windows 95 that had USB support. We've come a long way 20+ years of HTPC's.

Edit: a quick Google search shows that system cost $5K in 1996! Adjusted for inflation, that's over $8K today. I can't imagine paying that much for a system now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:26:48 pm by JimmyU »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2018, 12:48:01 pm »

add that to the wiki.....
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2018, 01:35:14 pm »

add that to the wiki.....

"Arcade Console" bothers me way more than the Buy part.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2018, 02:24:55 pm »

This website used to be about doing whatever you could to bring the arcade experience in your home. Building was our only option at the time with the exception of actually buying up used arcade machines. But this site (and the book) showed us it was possible to emulate and build multiple games on a single cabinet. Which we have all done. It wasn't always pretty in the beginning, but the build quality and the parts got better and better. We didn't have an arcade1up option back then. I am sure if we did, many here would have been pretty excited to have something available to go mainstream at an affordable price.

Anyway the point is, it was about bringing the arcade experience back home. So what if these are premade and smaller. The quality looks good, the buttons look right the trackball is the right size the spinner for tempest looks good (lets see how it really feels) and we are shitting on it because it comes prebuilt???? It's ---smurfing--- $300? Not $1300. In the grand scheme we all have spent way more than $300 on just parts for control panels. We also support precut Kits all the time, yet according to this logic if the kit came with a licensed game and an LCD we would HAVE to bash it right? Ugh, you need a stool to play this!

If it looks and plays good why not spend $300 on a Centipede/Crystal Castles/Missile Command? Getting those individually will cost a hell of a lot more than $300. Building would cost you more than $300. Why is this such a bad option? The Arcade police around here need to take a xanax have a coke and a smile and be happy (I had to edit that a bit because I love you and that felt like a personal attack, you're still my favorite people!). 

Arcade perfect is such a funny phrase, because unless you use the actual hardware (You arcade collectors out there know this all too well), all Mame machines are close but not perfect. And if we really want to be transparent and look at ourselves honestly, we never really cared about form factor and arcade perfection in the past, because if we did we would have never supported any kind of bartop machine. We would have probably dismissed them all, let alone have awards for "small dedicated" and "small multi" UCA's. But here we are, giving a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about the size of an Arcade machine, because why not it's not arcade perfect.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.