Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets  (Read 223412 times)

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2018, 07:18:01 am »
I watched the assembly video and it was very enlightening.  There are several exposed screws throughout the machine.... most notably on the sides of the cab and the top of the cp. I don't seem to see those in any of the promotional shots.  It also looks like the brains of the thing are attached to the lcd because that's the only way having the power plug only into the lcd and having a ribbon cable with so many wires going to the cp makes any sense.  The marquee is a solid piece of wood, so there's no hope of lighting it up.

Yeah it's hard to know exactly what the final product is going to look like -  the way they made the assembly video using a 3d model that defies gravity instead of an actual assembly video and all of the promo videos show more of a mock up system someone built rather than actual production models with no screw holes showing and none of them show what is actually inside the Control panel - so hard to tell if the cable from the LCD panel is connecting to a driver board inside the CP or is it a propeitary connector that will only work with that specific panel  ( making modding it for a pi or PC mean swapping out the monitor as well - though I guess a 17" LCD can be had for very little cost so replacing it isn't really much of a problem )

So kind of hard to really tell what it is going to be until we start seeing some real reviews after release that provide more details on the actual construction materials used - Also seems to be the first product this company is releasing so no real track record to go by and it seems they are just importing the systems from a supplier since their FAQ's say to contact another import company that deals mostly with importing cheap Chinese goods to inquire about being a small distributor (ie. mom and pop stores that want to sell them)

So this might just be a new division of some importer that has arranged to have these made in a Chinese factory - so who knows what quality control etc. will be like ( or if they are actually licensed to sell these by ATARI/Capcom/etc. or are just another 60 in 1 type vendor similar to the cocktail cab that Sams club was advertising for Xmas a few years back that wound up getting shut down just before release because it hadn't been officially licensed and Namco found out it was being imported ! ) - or if they will say those promo videos were for promotional looks only and that the final product specs were subject to change and they wind up with some cheap Chinese knock off controls in the released product that are completely different than those shown !

Hoping that the final product actually looks like the promo videos show but kind of skeptical at this point.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:34:43 am by JDFan »

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2018, 11:15:51 am »
Also looks like they are probably being imported rather than built here since the Mom and Pop distribution says to contact - Master Toys and Novelties, Inc which is an importer based in Los Angeles

Well I wouldn't expect something this cheap to not be imported Chicom crap.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2018, 11:26:17 am »
Also looks like they are probably being imported rather than built here since the Mom and Pop distribution says to contact - Master Toys and Novelties, Inc which is an importer based in Los Angeles

Well I wouldn't expect something this cheap to not be imported Chicom crap.

Yes but the promo videos show well built systems with decent quality parts made from what appears to be 1/2" MDF - but will the actual product run look the same or will it be a cheaper/lower quality build with cheap knock off buttons/joysticks is the question - Since the assembly video shows screws used to hold the thing together with the holes drilled from the outside - yet the promo machines have no visible screws showing at all and the specs say the shipping weight is only 63 lbs. which would rule out it being built from 1/2" MDF which would weigh more than that before including the weight of the other parts !
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:34:33 am by JDFan »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2018, 11:37:27 am »
None of these games have cabaret height. Cabaret games have the control panel at the same place that normal games do, they just cut off all the stuff above the monitor to make them smaller. These games just chopped the bottom of the cabinet off to save $8 in production cost while completely killing anything that would ever make them feel like an arcade game.

The manufacturers don't care if these games work right, if they did then they would possibly have a 3 player game with a 19" wide panel, that requires every player to sit in a chair.

I want to have Paige Oliver’s babies one day.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2018, 01:14:52 pm »
You should look at the Rerez take.... so many general knowledge errors that your head will explode. 

Actually the assembly video makes me worry about the quality.  The only reason to screw directly through the panels would be that they used such poor quality chip board that using angle brackets or something similar (in which you wouldn't screw all the way through) wouldn't hold it.  All the good things I said about the artwork are cancelled out if we have to put those stupid little ikea stickers over a bunch of holes, or even worse, thy don't even include those stickers.  Also worth noting is the fact that the back isn't painted in the assembly video.  Not a big deal for some people but it is for me. 

I would think the licensing is legit since there are only 3-4 games in a cab, which is quite low.  If they didn't care about doing it properly they'd put at least 60-80 games in there to add to the value.

For me at least, I think this is one of those deals where I would have to see it released before I would even attempt a buy.  I want to know the finished look, the build quality, how easy it is to hack, ect. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2018, 01:36:13 pm »
I've got a sectional from Ikea assembled pretty much the same way and I swear to god it's handled 2,000lbs of mastodonic Texan at once without flinching. 

Vamos a ver

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2018, 02:15:10 pm »
 Good news for those that pre-ordered from Gamestop - guess decided they wouldn't be selling many at $100 more than Walmart so just decided to drop their pricing to match Walmart now and if you already placed an order there they have the low price matching that means you get the lower price even if you ordered at the higher pricing !!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:17:14 pm by JDFan »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2018, 03:52:28 pm »
If everyone drops down to $299, Bed Bath and Beyond is going to be winner here.  All your wife had to do was buy some hand towels there 20 years ago and they'll spam you with coupons for the rest of your life.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2018, 04:04:30 pm »
Too bad Kmart isn't selling them.  They'd probably give you $200 back in points.  Mind you you'd get it in $20 increments spread out over a few years, but still.  ;)

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2018, 04:14:35 pm »
I don't get how one would play these standing up unless you're a little kid.  Wouldn't you have to be in a chair?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2018, 04:30:09 pm »
I don't get how one would play these standing up unless you're a little kid.  Wouldn't you have to be in a chair?

That or buy the $40 (IIRC) extra platform that raises the Control panel to normal arcade height ( nice part about that is it will make repairing water damage much easier than on real arcade cabs !! ) --

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:31:41 pm by JDFan »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2018, 04:39:53 pm »
$40 for an accessory in order for the damn things to be usable to begin with? I'd rather just set one on milk crates or better yet just use a legit cab.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2018, 05:40:56 pm »
Dudes - Walmart has an exclusive Galaga/Galaxian version.  I went to Walmart online to take a look at it, and noticed it did not say pre-order.  I put it in my cart, selected free shipping, and it gave me a guaranteed delivery date of 7/31 - THIS TUESDAY.  So I bought it. 

I am now waiting for tracking numbers.  I will let you all know if the order goes through and give you a preview once I receive it.  The Galaga/Galaxian version only has one joystick, so it would not have been my first choice, but I figured I would give it a try, can always return or sell it off if I don't like it. 

So - maybe we can see build quality as soon as Tuesday evening when I get home from work....  :o

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade-1Up-Galaga-Machine-Walmart-Exclusive-4ft/595505982
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:43:08 pm by smass »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2018, 06:13:42 pm »
Everybody loves Galaga.  They will sell a ton of these regardless of build quality.  I'll be shocked it you can't flip that and get your money back later.

Dudes - Walmart has an exclusive Galaga/Galaxian version.  I went to Walmart online to take a look at it, and noticed it did not say pre-order.  I put it in my cart, selected free shipping, and it gave me a guaranteed delivery date of 7/31 - THIS TUESDAY.  So I bought it. 

I am now waiting for tracking numbers.  I will let you all know if the order goes through and give you a preview once I receive it.  The Galaga/Galaxian version only has one joystick, so it would not have been my first choice, but I figured I would give it a try, can always return or sell it off if I don't like it. 

So - maybe we can see build quality as soon as Tuesday evening when I get home from work....  :o

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade-1Up-Galaga-Machine-Walmart-Exclusive-4ft/595505982

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2018, 07:13:57 pm »
Good to know.   Btw notice on the Galaga pictures the screw holes are quite visible.  It looks like some white caps are put on them which would look horrible for the black cabs. 

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:25 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2018, 07:16:37 pm »
I really can't believe that people on this site in particular are wetting themselves to get a complete piece of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- arcade cabinet. I get that it is really cheap. WhipdeFucking do. Let's check out the awesomeness.

---smurfy--- emulator.
---smurfy--- through hole construction. It is probably 1/2 inch MDF.
---smurfy--- controls.
---smurfy--- size. Good luck actually playing this thing if you are an adult.
---smurfy--- monitor.

---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- sign me up for a bunch of these. ::)
I get that non enthusiasts would jump on something like this.
I just can't believe that people who frequent this site are signing up for these.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2018, 07:21:03 pm »
You should look at the Rerez take.... so many general knowledge errors that your head will explode. 
I was triggered. Frequently.

I really can't believe that people on this site in particular are wetting themselves to get a complete piece of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- arcade cabinet. I get that it is really cheap. WhipdeFucking do
I'm only partially considering it for my nephews.  I have a real deal SF2CE cab with a Multi CPS2 in it, I'll keep the real deal, they can beat the crap out of a well.......a piece of crap :)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2018, 07:26:12 pm »
I like the fact that they are small.... I'm running out of room for this stuff.  I also like the fact that they have full side art.  That crap is expensive now.  I have concerns with virtually everything else about them but that doesn't cease my curiosity about them. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2018, 08:28:54 pm »
"Small" is kinda deceiving with these though. Yes they're shorter, but they aren't that much smaller in floor space needed.

Lets compare numbers:

Arcade 1UP =  45.8” H x 23” D x 19” W

Centipede =  71" H x 25" D x 26.75" W 
Robotron = 65" H x 28.5" D x 24.5" W
Donkey Kong  =  67" H x 33.5" D x 23.5" W
Dynamo  HS-1 =  75" H x 36" D x 28" W 

So with the Atari and Williams cabinets being the smaller of the full-sized, Donkey Kong or a standard Dynamo being the larger ones...as you can see the savings is about 5 or 6" in Depth and Width...that's really not much less space required TBH. 

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2018, 08:40:25 pm »
Seeing this post, I feel more inspired to build my own classic low-boy with a 20" CRT monitor (I think that is what people here are calling a cabaret?). Aside from the fact I'm not in the USA or anywhere remotely near a Walmart, there's no way that I'd actually buy one of these though for all the reasons other people have given. They do look alright, but the build quality is concerning and once you take all the probably ---smurfy--- bits away all you are left with is some nice artwork and maybe a control panel.

Check out my completed projects!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2018, 09:09:45 pm »
"Small" is kinda deceiving with these though. Yes they're shorter, but they aren't that much smaller in floor space needed.

Lets compare numbers:

Arcade 1UP =  45.8” H x 23” D x 19” W

Centipede =  71" H x 25" D x 26.75" W 
Robotron = 65" H x 28.5" D x 24.5" W
Donkey Kong  =  67" H x 33.5" D x 23.5" W
Dynamo  HS-1 =  75" H x 36" D x 28" W 

So with the Atari and Williams cabinets being the smaller of the full-sized, Donkey Kong or a standard Dynamo being the larger ones...as you can see the savings is about 5 or 6" in Depth and Width...that's really not much less space required TBH.

Don’t forget the space for the chair you’re gonna need in order to really play it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2018, 09:28:24 pm »
I really can't believe that people on this site in particular are wetting themselves to get a complete piece of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- arcade cabinet. I get that it is really cheap. WhipdeFucking do. Let's check out the awesomeness.

---smurfy--- emulator.
---smurfy--- through hole construction. It is probably 1/2 inch MDF.
---smurfy--- controls.
---smurfy--- size. Good luck actually playing this thing if you are an adult.
---smurfy--- monitor.

---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- sign me up for a bunch of these. ::)
I just can't believe that people who frequent this site are signing up for these.

You can be The Godfather to mine and Paige’s kids.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2018, 10:29:27 pm »
eh... I am buying them because I wont have any trackball or spinner games on my next mame cab... I like the look and size. Hell I have spent way more to get a lot less in this hobby, so what the hell?
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2018, 11:36:40 pm »
They’re new, aren’t covered in beer, semen, and cigarette smoke, and look nice.  I’m considering clearing off a wall and lining them up.  Just waiting on those reviews....

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2018, 12:19:37 am »
They’re new, aren’t covered in beer, semen, and cigarette smoke, and look nice.  I’m considering clearing off a wall and lining them up.  Just waiting on those reviews....

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2018, 12:26:39 am »
... aren’t covered in beer,  semen, and cigarette smoke, and look nice. 

If I ever visit your games room I'm going over it with a blacklight before I touch anything! As for the cigarette burns on my T-molding, I think it just adds authenticity  ;)
Check out my completed projects!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2018, 07:06:30 am »

probably 1/2 inch MDF.

I'd assume it's going to be the same particleboard as any other flat pack furniture and I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.

Still, bashing them is like complaining about a $100 particleboard dresser bacause it's not made out of mahogany.

I can't imagine anyone delivering more at this price point.  They have to make a profit.  Walmart has to make a profit.  The actual cost to make these has to be much lower than $300.

I built a 70% scale galaga style cab for my nephew out of parts I had laying around and a ping pong table the neighbor set out for the garbage collector.  It was very comfortable to play sitting on a 2ft stool.  These look like they'd play about the same.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2018, 07:14:45 am »

This was mostly my point. I guess I just thought that people here gave a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about how the games play.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2018, 09:09:46 am »
I don't get it either.  If the whole point of the art and games is to recreate a look and experience from the past, why make it so ---smurfing--- small? 

I guess because I clicked on these links, I got an ad in Facebook for these.  There is a little video where they found the tiniest women on the planet to stand next to these cabs.  I'd love to see 2 six foot 200 lb men playing the Streetfighter cab.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2018, 09:28:00 am »
I'd assume it's going to be the same particleboard as any other flat pack furniture and I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.

Still, bashing them is like complaining about a $100 particleboard dresser bacause it's not made out of mahogany.

I can't imagine anyone delivering more at this price point.  They have to make a profit.  Walmart has to make a profit.  The actual cost to make these has to be much lower than $300.

I built a 70% scale galaga style cab for my nephew out of parts I had laying around and a ping pong table the neighbor set out for the garbage collector.  It was very comfortable to play sitting on a 2ft stool.  These look like they'd play about the same.

Agreed - for the price point of $299 they seem to be a decent deal ( THe MSRP of $399 starts to be a stretch - and the reseller listings showing up on Ebay already at $599 + become ridiculous ! ) but the main problem becomes is it going to hold up to usage or is it going to start to fall apart like that $100 dresser does after a few weeks. Sure the thing looks decent in the videos available for viewing but until they are actually released and in use there is no way to tell - So it does make you question the overall durability if it is particle board and their use of a 3d model in the assembly video rather than an actual assembly of the product and the lack of any video showing the actual internals of the systems doesn't help to offset any of those concerns.

I agree they look and sound like a decent product at a decent price point but until I actually can see it will have concerns over the actual value.

I don't get it either.  If the whole point of the art and games is to recreate a look and experience from the past, why make it so ---smurfing--- small? 

I guess because I clicked on these links, I got an ad in Facebook for these.  There is a little video where they found the tiniest women on the planet to stand next to these cabs.  I'd love to see 2 six foot 200 lb men playing the Streetfighter cab.

The size is most likely to keep the price point - figure at 63 Lbs. they are already approaching the point where extra costs are involved in shipping ( either having to split it into 2 packages or pay extra for the added weight since the delivery companies have limits on what normal packages can weigh without extra costs once they need to provide lifting equipment or use a team of employees for delivery since it weighs more than their single delivery driver can lift.)

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2018, 09:53:53 am »
Well then.  I am hoping my order goes through and I have one next week.  I will "take one for the team" and give you guys a tour if I receive it. 

Random thoughts: 

- Size is perfect for kids. 

- If you had a few of them you could easily build one long riser/platform against a wall and display them that way. 

- If the buttons and joysticks are standard micro switch units, you could easily wire them to a zero-delay encoder or ipac and then connect to a computer or raspberry pi.  The only other issue would be getting the signal to the lcd monitor, but I am sure there will be a way to hack that fairly easily.  So conceivably, for possibly less than $100 more you may be able to stick a pi in there and have a fully functioning multi-cade.

- If a cheap hack like above is possible I think there could be an aftermarket where folks mod them up and sell them - sorta like you saw with nes and snes mini. 

- If for some reason its overly difficult to hack into the lcd monitor that comes with the machine, you could simply pull the whole unit out, and replace with a $5 goodwill 17" lcd.  I have two extra 4:3 17" lcds in my basement and see at least a couple every time I visit goodwill just sitting on the shelves collecting dust...so all you would need to do is wire the controls to the pi with a cheap zero delay, and connect pi to the lcd. 

- Quite possibly, the build quality and overall gaming experience will suck.  Nobody really knows at this point.  So lets see.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.

- Does the release of these things indicate that the retro-arcade scene has "jumped the shark"?  :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:05:28 am by smass »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2018, 10:07:07 am »
What the crap is going on?
"Gee the build quality will probably be bad. The controls and the internals will have to be replaced. I will have to build a riser for them. Sign me up for a pre-order."

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2018, 11:28:57 am »
Lol Mike.  Part of the experience as a kid is looking up in wonder at the towering magic box with indestructible presence, not sitting in front of a wimpy feeling box as the stick rips out of the CP.  :lol

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2018, 11:41:12 am »
Another thing I wonder is will these each have different hardware/software for the roms or will it be another case of the PCB having all of the games from all of the cabinets installed and just jumpers to determine which ones are active on a specific machine ( ie. like the Tiny Arcades that use a single resistor to short a jumper to select which of the 4 machines it is - so production remains the same for every one and they just short a different jumper at final assembly to decide which machine it is packaged as.)  :dunno

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2018, 01:13:25 pm »

I've used $100 particleboard dressers. I don't bash them for not being mahogany. I bash them because they fell apart as soon as I put a pair of pants in the top drawer. I expect the same level of quality from these cabinets.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2018, 01:50:16 pm »
These remind me of the Jakks handhelds. Sure they weren't arcade good, but we've seen some decent builds with the Jakks. There was some buzz around the Midway consumer cabinets, but those ended up being stinkers for a couple reasons.

I think these have potential to be kinda cool. They look decent. I think the price point is good and I bet it scratches the nostalgia itch for a lot of people. If they are easily hackable, this could be a good starting point for some people. I think a $150-$200 bartop kit has competition from these units.

I'm reserving judgement for these. I love the idea of a small cabinet in my kids room and I like the idea of a display in my office. A round of street fighter to resolve conflict - awesome.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »
If I can mod the rampage to play other go-right-and-fight games, me and my kids can have more than $300 fun playing it.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2018, 02:10:55 pm »
I think these have potential to be kinda cool. They look decent. I think the price point is good and I bet it scratches the nostalgia itch for a lot of people. If they are easily hackable, this could be a good starting point for some people. I think a $150-$200 bartop kit has competition from these units.

I'm reserving judgement for these. I love the idea of a small cabinet in my kids room and I like the idea of a display in my office. A round of street fighter to resolve conflict - awesome.

Same here.  I don't intend to buy one but they look interesting and agree they will scratch the itch for a lot of people.  I have a friend that wants a Galaga but doesn't want to pay the going rate (or even the materials it would take for me to build them one) and I'll probably recommend they give this one a look.  They don't really care if it is arcade authentic.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2018, 05:20:10 pm »
I canceled... Mike A got in my head.

I still think they will play great, and would be a great addition to anyones line up. If the build quality is the same as what was presented to us.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2018, 05:27:35 pm »
Sorry Ian. I don't agree with anything you just said except for the part where you canceled your order.
Those things would look like garbage on most people's lineups. They are the wrong size, and you have to sit in a chair like an ---uvula--- to play them.
The build quality looks like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. It is all through hole.