Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets  (Read 223390 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets
« Reply #680 on: October 22, 2018, 03:27:49 pm »
Which one of you dudes is Ernie Dinklefwat?

:lol  Stand up Ernie Dinklefwat!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:29:48 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Arcade 1Up's Ikea cabinets
« Reply #681 on: October 22, 2018, 04:38:45 pm »
For anyone who is up for any sort of DIY project, there is no reason not to use a CRT. They are just better for SF2 and Final Fight.

I have used arcade monitors, PC monitors, LCD's and TV's. There are plenty of reasons to not use a CRT, but the biggest reason not to use one is if you don't really see the difference. The worse suggestion there is to use a TV. I'd suggest a LCD before I'd recommend a TV.

I've veered away from arcade authenticity a few times and it's not something that takes away from the experience for me. I've wired up all my coin doors, but I don't use them anymore - I use the credit button. I prefer a wico 4 way for my Nintendo games. I like my games to be in pretty cabinets with no cigarette burns, something I've rarely encountered in the wild. Every person has a different level of authenticity for them.

I think these cabinets are neat, but what I really like is all the buzz and excitement people are getting from playing the classics.

You seriously can't see a difference between the poorly scaled jagged edges on an LCD vs playing games at native res and refresh on a crt?

A CRT tv might be 2nd best to an arcade monitor but (a 15khz) crt tv is significantly better than any LCD screen when used with a crt emu / Groovymame PC. That applies to anything up to the N64 generation.

For example, here is the arcade SF2 running on a free consumer Sony Trinitron:

If it would have been a Euro version with RGB or an RGB modded American one then the image would be comparable to an arcade monitor.

This is the pecking order for monitors for old arcade games from best to worst:

1) real cga arcade monitor
2) Consumer crt tv with rgb
3) Pro crt with rgb
4) consumer crt with Component and / or SVideo
5) HD CRT TV or CRT PC monitor
6) Old (and hard to find) low res 4:3 LCD (or plasma) I.e. With a native res of 480p or lower like that 4:3 Pioneer
7) Newer HD 4:3 LCD (768p or 1024p)
8) A 16:9 HD flatscreen - a true abomination for vintage gaming...

I take exception to about half of that list.  At this stage in the game, if you don't have at least a rgb connection it's pretty much garbage.  This is from someone that used composite and then later svideo (for lightguns) in their main cabinet. 

I think the size is a huge factor.  If you are going to use a 19" monitor then yeah, you can probably find an arcade monitor or modded tv for a decent price and will be able to find one that is still in good working order.  If you are going larger than that an lcd is really the way to go.  You can actually handle moving it yourself and considering the screen size you will probably want to play newer games, which will benefit from the added resolution.  Mame's hlsl does a pretty decent job of simulating a crt at this point. 

I absolutely agree that for Street Fighter a modern lcd is a good idea.... for street fighter iv and v that is.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:46:07 pm by Howard_Casto »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #682 on: October 22, 2018, 04:49:46 pm »
Eh, you get a clean signal to a Trinitron or Panablack tube and I think it's probably going to look better than an arcade monitor.  Maybe not an arcade monitor with a fresh tube and fully dialed in image, but definitely better than any arcade monitor you're likely to encounter these days.  (which tend to be dim, blurry, and have wonky convergence)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #683 on: October 22, 2018, 06:26:19 pm »
a much more detailed spinner mod:

! No longer available

later

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #684 on: October 22, 2018, 07:27:36 pm »
Via FB - Haters gon’ hate

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:11:34 pm by yotsuya »

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #685 on: October 22, 2018, 07:39:03 pm »
So I finally got an update from Walmart.  I pre-ordered the Galaga cab a few months ago.  My first order was in limbo for a month so I contacted them a few weeks ago and they acknowledged a problem with the order, and gave me 5% off to cancel and re-order, bringing my cost down $285.  My new order was supposed to ship on 10/18, but did not.  I received an email from them today apologizing for the delay in shipment and telling me they would send me a $50 gift card for the inconvenience.  So, assuming I ever get the cab, my cost is down to $235.  I can live with that.   :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:42:52 pm by smass »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #686 on: October 22, 2018, 09:37:36 pm »
The modding community around the Arcade1up's is starting to get impressive. Lots of mods and people using Pandora boxes, but I particularly like this one where a guy created a marquee for it:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #687 on: October 22, 2018, 11:47:39 pm »
I hate to be negative, but putting that much extra money into a $300 toy is a level of turd-polishing even too insane for me.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #688 on: October 23, 2018, 01:01:10 am »
I hate to be negative, but putting that much extra money into a $300 toy is a level of turd-polishing even too insane for me.
^Yup.

Lipstick on a pig.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #689 on: October 23, 2018, 01:27:51 am »
i think of these machines as starter arcade kit cabinets, that people can modify
whatever they want:
=========================
controls - buttons
            - spinner
            - trackball

rewiring the controls

adjusting the height with custom risers

now modifying the marquee
==========================

at some point they may want a better kit,
or invest in a real machine.

any way you look at it, its great for the hobby,
and for people that never learned how to do these
things before (like me).

later

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #690 on: October 23, 2018, 03:42:39 am »
Is it great for the hobby if someone's introduction to it is a horrible experience? They spend a good sum of money and they get crappy controls and artwork that rubs off. Most of the people buying these don't consider them a starter kit. That is not how they are advertised.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #691 on: October 23, 2018, 04:02:04 am »
Is it great for the hobby if someone's introduction to it is a horrible experience? They spend a good sum of money and they get crappy controls and artwork that rubs off. Most of the people buying these don't consider them a starter kit. That is not how they are advertised.

I dont know man, I got into real BBQ by buying a crappy smoker. Had to put like $80 worth of mods to make the thing not leak smoke and heat like a stuck pig. I eventually cut my losses and got a real smoker. However the experience on how to smoke meat and what to look for, for my next smoker was invaluable. I say if it brings more people to the hobby the better.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #692 on: October 23, 2018, 05:45:28 am »
People less resourceful than you will just be pissed and chuck the cab on a burn pile. Most people are not DIYers. I know many people will love these things and that's great. It is just disappointing that for many other people, their first impression of this hobby will be crap. There is no denying now that these kits are garbage even at only 300 dollars. The artwork rubbing off is completely unacceptable for a commercial product. They targeted that 300 dollar price point and they just had to cut too many corners to get there.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #693 on: October 23, 2018, 07:27:22 am »
My 'lcd cab' is a besdside table I've shortened the feet off using a saw. Monitor w/ a rotating stand goes on top, there's just enough space on the front side to lay a small keyboard and mouse if needed to configure stuff, stick stores on the single shelf under it, and whatever game systems go in the space below.

I thought over and over of various DIY solutions, some very elaborate and potentially expensive (steel or aluminum foldable design), until realizing that miserable shortened bedside table is by far the most flexible, convenient solution, plus it fits everywhere.

Cost: 0  :P

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #694 on: October 23, 2018, 08:52:51 am »

Well, unfortunately, they have to deal with it, and since they offer free replacements, and will
have a solution going forward. It's not really an issue.

The bigger problem is subpar controls, dials, spinners, joysticks and buttons.

But with the exception of the dial, and maybe the trackball, most people think its ok.

And replacing a balltop with a bat stick is dirt cheap, as are some replacement parts.

You guys do realize there's only a few thousand (most likely) of these units coming out, and thats it.
They're a limited run, and once they're gone thats it.

Sure they have plans for more in the future, but if they are losing money on these, how long is the
company going to last making these anyways.

I don't figure them being around too long next year, if they don't improve.

Then again AT games has been around for ages, peddling subpar junk consoles, and they have a full size
arcade machine with 400 games coming out. [See this post]:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158551.0.html

No price on that yet.

later

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #695 on: October 23, 2018, 09:50:47 am »
The artwork rubbing off is completely unacceptable for a commercial product. They targeted that 300 dollar price point and they just had to cut too many corners to get there.

Cost cutting really has nothing to do with the artwork rubbing off so easily -- That's just using a flawed printing process ( either the wrong type of vinyl or the wrong inks or a flawed printing process that did not set the ink properly into the material) - The cost of a lamination layer to stop that from happening is a couple pennies per machine in the quantity they are printing - there's plenty of cheap throw away devices that have artwork that doesn't wear off in less than a week - it's not the cost it's a defect in the process ! ( And according to A1U they have already done something to fix it in future product so we'll have to wait and see if that is true.)

To me the more serious issue is having people in the design and execution teams that have never used or built an arcade cab - If they had a clue about the arcade cabs they never would have advertised these as a "real arcade experience at home" - any product testing that included more than just looking at them and starting up a game would have shown many of the issues - ie. mixing Horizontal and Vertical games on a small 17" monitor rather than keeping them on different machines - rearranging button layouts making some games unplayable like Defender on a 3 player cab - (Hell even making a 3 player cab on a 19" wide cab in the first place and having only 1 game that can be played by 3 people) - Never getting to Level 31 on Gauntlet to find that bug - etc.

If they were not trying to rush these to market in order to be the first and hopefully only company to get them into retail for this holiday season most of these problems could have been addressed and fixed long before they made it into the retailers ( and they are currently paying the price for that by having to replace/reship parts of the machines to the end user).

Hopefully they will get the kinks worked out and continue to improve with future releases but only time will tell. And either way as others have mentioned it will get more people playing the games and many of those will decide they want something better and either start to build there own or another company will come along to provide a better product to fill that need.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #696 on: October 23, 2018, 10:01:46 am »
You guys do realize there's only a few thousand (most likely) of these units coming out, and thats it.

It'll be more than a few thousands - figure Walmart alone has has about 3,600 locations and initial orders not including the online sales was mostly at least 3 units per store per model  - and most are already getting restocks. Gamestop has more than 7,100 locations and every one of their stores is also getting multiples - so more than 120,000 machines in the initial stock and that's just 2 retailer in the US not including all of the pre-orders they sold - THe SNES mini sold over 5 million units in a few months so Arcade1up is not going to just make a few thousand units and move on - they'll continue to make these at least through the end of the Year and if they continue to sell well will continue to make them.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #697 on: October 23, 2018, 10:06:40 am »
Quality control expenditure is part of the calculation that went into the price point. Research and development is also rolled into that price point. They didn't do any of that because at 300 dollars a pop they decided those things would cut too deeply into their projected profit.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #698 on: October 23, 2018, 10:39:58 am »
Quality control expenditure is part of the calculation that went into the price point. Research and development is also rolled into that price point. They didn't do any of that because at 300 dollars a pop they decided those things would cut too deeply into their projected profit.
THe MSRP was $399 not $299 -- So all of their calculations came up with that price based on their costs -- they are still getting their profit margin and other costs by selling them at wholesale to the retailers at that MSRP wholesale pricing - It's the retailers that cut their profit margin by the $100 to sell them at $299 in order to sell more units at lower profit margins and still make money. Arcade1ups profit margins are not taking any hit due to the retailers selling below MSRP in fact they are profiting more because they are selling more units at the $299 price than they would have at $399 and still getting the same Wholesale price from the retailers !!

So your assumption that they decided to cut any thing due to the price drop is inaccurate at best - If anything the retialers deciding to sell at a lower price will increase their profits since it will sell more machines !

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #699 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:45 am »

It'll be more than a few thousands - figure Walmart alone has has about 3,600 locations and initial orders not including the online sales was mostly at least 3 units per store per model  - and most are already getting restocks. Gamestop has more than 7,100 locations and every one of their stores is also getting multiples - so more than 120,000 machines in the initial stock and that's just 2 retailer in the US not including all of the pre-orders they sold - THe SNES mini sold over 5 million units in a few months so Arcade1up is not going to just make a few thousand units and move on - they'll continue to make these at least through the end of the Year and if they continue to sell well will continue to make them.

Thanks for the number analysis. You are right, it's probably a magnitude of order higher than what i thought.
But its still hard to belive they are going to sell that many.

The limited run is already a fact, they've stated on facebook officially that whatever is out there now is it.
There won't be any more of any of these cabinets.

They've already got plans for the 2019 lines, if they make it that far. Probably used up whatever stock they
had for supplies.

Yes, they could make some more combo, and multi-units and recycle the titles they have out now.
But they're not going to make more of these 3-4 title machines, or pac-man, galaga, and space invaders units.

Still waiting to see if they do the dig dug or qbert bartop, and the cocktail machines.

later

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #700 on: October 23, 2018, 10:50:03 am »
That wasn't a real price drop. The intended price was probably right around 299. It just sounds better to advertise a price drop.

I find it hard to believe they would have miscalculated the value of their product by that much unless they did no market research at all.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #701 on: October 23, 2018, 11:17:24 am »
They knew that right now people throw cash at anything “retro”. Their license is for toys under 4 feet, and they probably figured if people are going nuts over those small mini-cabs, they could make a killing by passing off something close to “the real thing”.

What will be interesting to see is if the lack of quality control, plus people’s horror stories in dealing with Wal-Mart for pre-orders, will kill repeat purchases and enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:48:02 am by yotsuya »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #702 on: October 23, 2018, 11:20:32 am »
Yeah. Anything I say is conjecture. I don't have access to their books. I assume a company has a plan when they come to market. Sometimes that is not the case. This company's plan may have been:

Crank out cabs as cheaply as possible for Christmas. Profit. End of plan.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #703 on: October 23, 2018, 11:47:35 am »
Yeah. Anything I say is conjecture. I don't have access to their books. I assume a company has a plan when they come to market. Sometimes that is not the case. This company's plan may have been:

Oh, I have no doubt that was their plan.

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 10:42:04 am
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
« Reply #704 on: October 23, 2018, 12:09:50 pm »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:11:41 pm by lisowskikevin »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #705 on: October 23, 2018, 01:06:58 pm »

But with the exception of the dial, and maybe the trackball, most people think its ok. …..

When I saw the spinner and trackball I was out.   A spinner that doesn't.... umm..... SPIN  and a trackball without bearings is inexcusable.  Those are also fairly pricey to replace if you go with brand new hardware.  I'm totally cool with home units having consumer grade and not commercial parts, but said parts need to actually work as intended. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #706 on: October 23, 2018, 01:53:00 pm »
Phase 2 is "bait the line."  Y'all forgot what Front 242 taught us.

Anyway, what I heard was that the trackball speed wasn't variable on Centipede and it made it nearly impossible to play.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #707 on: October 23, 2018, 02:05:21 pm »

Anyway, what I heard was that the trackball speed wasn't variable on Centipede and it made it nearly impossible to play.

Think that was one of the main mistakes they made in these things - the not having access to any system settings at all -  No way to set sensitivity settings - no way to change number of lives/ points for additional lives - no way to change difficulty higher or lower - etc. Those things are all available in the games so why not give the user a way to set them.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #708 on: October 23, 2018, 03:38:39 pm »

Think that was one of the main mistakes they made in these things - the not having access to any system settings at all -  No way to set sensitivity settings - no way to change number of lives/ points for additional lives - no way to change difficulty higher or lower - etc. Those things are all available in the games so why not give the user a way to set them.

I've only see a few people complain about the settings, mostly arcade fans, and this stress test guy:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157888.msg1667613.html#msg1667613

I know what to do with setting them, but the basic audience of casual people have no clue about coin multipliers,
system diagnostics, etc etc. Even the basic settings of difficulty and men seem to confuse people.

You've got to dumb these things down for the masses to make them foolproof, and that's what they've done.

Of course they probably screwed something up in altering the roms to work with their interface.

later

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #709 on: October 23, 2018, 05:03:38 pm »
I dig it.

I think PBJ was right when he said there might be too many options for arcade games, but it's still fun watching someone new explore the arcade options. "What's Mame" type questions floating around. I think some people here need to realize how far along the arcade path they are. So many people out there just now learning about Mame. This will be a gateway for some folks and it's only a matter of time before we get the "My first retro arcade was an Arcade1up" and now they have fullsize dedicated classics. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #710 on: October 23, 2018, 05:17:21 pm »
I dig it.

I think PBJ was right when he said there might be too many options for arcade games, but it's still fun watching someone new explore the arcade options. "What's Mame" type questions floating around. I think some people here need to realize how far along the arcade path they are. So many people out there just now learning about Mame. This will be a gateway for some folks and it's only a matter of time before we get the "My first retro arcade was an Arcade1up" and now they have fullsize dedicated classics.

You may be right Lew,

I guess we all have to start somewhere.

Some peoples love was bore in the arcades of yesteryear, Some at the crappy amusement places you get at holiday resorts, Some when the first discovered MAME so yeah maybe some will find it from this dog mess.

I just hope as Mike said it does not deter more than it brings.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #711 on: October 23, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »
Then again...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #712 on: October 23, 2018, 11:43:40 pm »
I saw a small section reserved for these at my local Walmart, which surprised me because it's a smaller one and it usually doesn't get in the specialty stuff.  It looked like they had made space for about 7 or 8 and they only had two in stock.  I wonder if that means they only managed to get two in or that they sold the rest and that is all that is left.  They had rampage and the asteroids one.... odd that Street Fighter and Centipede was nowhere to be found.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #713 on: October 24, 2018, 02:46:46 am »
the super critical arcade snobs are going to build the deluxe version
5 hours from now:

! No longer available

later

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #714 on: October 24, 2018, 03:47:58 am »
I dig it.

I guess the real target group for these midget cabs are mainly not interested in Mame, extra settings, or whatever. They just want to relive those games from back in the days for as little money as possible. They would rather have a normal sized cab, but buying or building one is too expensive. I also believe just few (though some) will get into "the hobby" after buying this toy.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #715 on: October 24, 2018, 09:16:59 am »
5 hours from now:

Tuned in for a bit.  What a bunch of dbags these guys are.  They give hobbyists a bad name.  Every product has pros and cons.  lol 

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #716 on: October 24, 2018, 09:42:03 am »
5 hours from now:

! No longer available

later

don't bother watching this,
all they did was build it. lame.

later

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #717 on: October 24, 2018, 10:35:27 am »
Man what an bunch of losers. So biased and the guy reading the tweets with the black shirt needs hooked on phonics ASAP!! My 4 year old reads better than that as*hat.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #718 on: October 24, 2018, 01:03:53 pm »
Man what an bunch of losers. So biased and the guy reading the tweets with the black shirt needs hooked on phonics ASAP!! My 4 year old reads better than that as*hat.

all that might be true.
but i give them a lot of credit for supporting charities:
-----------------------------------------------------------
https://www.extra-life.org/

they might be clueless, but at least they like to help people.

later

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #719 on: October 24, 2018, 01:08:53 pm »

all that might be true.
but i give them a lot of credit for supporting charities:
-----------------------------------------------------------
https://www.extra-life.org/

they might be clueless, but at least they like to help people.

later

ah man now I feel like a jerk.