Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade1up GGG Spinner  (Read 5641 times)

Beanboon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 07:46:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade1up GGG Spinner
« on: February 05, 2019, 05:38:11 pm »
I bought the Groovy Game Gear spinner for my 12 in 1 and would like to share my experience.

I pulled out the old spinner (man is it ever crappy) and set it aside. This presents an oversized hole that the GGG spinner won’t go in. A couple of plastic discs were provided that neatly centered the spinner and held it firmly in place. I certainly wouldn’t trust this installation in a commercial environment but it worked perfectly well for my A1up.

I bought the extra weight to go on the backside of the spinner to give it more inertia.

There is a small daughter board that connects to the spinner with a ribbon cable. The board has jumpers for picking preset resolutions that seem to work well for Major Havoc and Tempest. Both feel a little faster than what I’m used to but it is also easy to set your own resolution. You close one of the jumpers (the easy way is to wire a button to them) and while closed you turn the knob. A little turn results in a lower count. A larger turn results in a larger count. There is no confirmation of your setting until you try to use it. I think I’d prefer dipswitches but if you do the USB hack and go into MAME this renders this moot.

It is wired into the UART on my system. I basically took the four pin connectors off of another A1up that I MAME’d and split my single 12in1 UART into two ports. One goes to the trackball and the other to the new spinner.

The result is that Tempest and Major Havoc are way way more playable. The knob I received is plastic but looks like a Tempest knob. The added weight below gives the knob a good amount of inertia and it does keep spinning after you give it a whirl. I’ve been able to get up to the seventh level on MH with this knob and there is no way with the older knob.

I did have to cut the plastic pan that covers the backside of the controls as the weight on the spinner sticks out past it but it was no big deal.

All in all highly recommended. I received good support from GGG while working this installation out and now have playable Tempest and Major Havoc.[/img]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:48:40 pm by Beanboon »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Arcade1up GGG Spinner
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:09:40 pm »
Nice sock, bro.

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 06:36:49 pm »
I bought the Groovy Game Gear spinner for my 12 in 1 and would like to share my experience.

I pulled out the old spinner (man is it ever crappy) and set is aside. This presents an oversized hole that the GGG spinner won’t go in. A couple of plastic discs were provided that neatly centered the spinner and held it firmly in place. I certainly wouldn’t trust this installation in a commercial environment but it worked perfectly well for my A1up.

I bought the extra weight to go on the backside of the spinner to give it more inertia.

There is a small daughter board that connects to the spinner with a ribbon cable. The board has jumpers for picking preset resolutions that seem to work well for Major Havoc and Tempest. Both feel a little faster than what I’m used to but it is also easy to set your own resolution. You close one of the jumpers (the easy way is to wire a button to them) and while closed you turn the knob. A little turn results in a lower count. A larger turn results in a larger count. There is no confirmation of your setting until you try to use it. I think I’d prefer dipswitches but if you do the USB hack and go into MAME this renders this moot.

It is wired into the UART on my system. I basically took the four pin connectors off of another A1up that I MAME’d and split my single 12in1 UART into two ports. One goes to the trackball and the other to the new spinner.

The result is that Tempest and Major Havoc are way way more playable. The knob I received is plastic but looks like a Tempest knob. The added weight below gives the knob a good amount of inertia and it does keep spinning after you give it a whirl. I’ve been able to get up to the seventh level on MH with this knob and there is no way with the older knob.

I did have to cut the plastic pan that covers the backside of the controls as the weight on the spinner sticks out past it but it was no big deal.

All in all highly recommended. I received good support from GGG while working this installation out and now have playable Tempest and Major Havoc.[/img]

thanks for that, i mentioned this in the general thread for 1up.

if you can, could you please post a video of it.

later

Beanboon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 07:46:21 am
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:36 pm »
Picture from the topside.

Video here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xk9Zdgv8X98rRtGY7
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:54:46 pm by Beanboon »