Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME 0.200 Released  (Read 3934 times)

Tafoid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:45:31 pm
  • Emulation Devotee
    • MAMELOAD TNG (Front-End)
MAME 0.200 Released
« on: July 25, 2018, 01:41:45 am »
MAME 0.200

Today’s MAME release has two consecutive zeros in the version number!  The only other time that happened was over twelve years ago!  Although MAME version numbers are are just an incrementing number, by a series of coincidences, MAME 0.200 delivers several major changes.  First of all, if you’re building MAME with Microsoft Visual Studio (MSVC), you’ll need Visual Studio 2017.  We’ve dropped support for Visual Studio 2015.  Starting this month, we’re building the official Windows binaries with GCC 7.3 – this probably won’t affect you (we still support building with GCC 5 and up).  We’re mirroring tagged releases at GitLab (source only) and SourceForge (source and binaries), so if for some reason you’re unable to access GitHub, you’ll still be able to download official MAME releases.

MAME 0.200 includes replacements for the memory system and callback API.  This will enable new functionality and make MAME development more straightforward.  The artwork layout system has also had an overhaul which opens new possibilities.  We’ve tried our best not to break things, but if you do find something wrong, let us know at MAME Testers, or on our IRC channel #mame on the freenode network.

In arcade emulation this month, we have a number of new versions of supported titles, including a very rare prototype of Led Storm Rally 2011 and three more Street Fighter II': Champion Edition bootlegs.  Dreamcast/NAOMI colours are greatly improved thanks to snickerbockers, and cam900 fixed some graphical effects in Gals Panic 3 and Billiard Academy Real Break.  Enik Land improved emulation of the Sega Master System, Game Gear and Mega Drive VDPs, covering more corner cases.

The really exciting emulation improvements this month are on the computer side.  There are lots of improvements for UK home computers, including better Camputers Lynx tape support (with lots of additions to the software list), re-worked Acorn System emulation, and support for Acorn Bus slot devices.  We’ve got a brand-new modernised Apple IIgs driver, with improvements in just about every area.  Also, Wayder updated the Sharp 68000 software list, correcting and organising the entries and adding the latest clean dumps.

But even more exciting is the fact that, thanks to Patrick Mackinlay’s gargantuan effort and persistence, the CLIPPER-based InterPro 2000 workstation now works well enough to install and run CLIX (a UNIX operating system).  As far as we know, this is a first for MAME.  The improvements to SCSI, CD-ROM, and serial emulation also benefit other emulated computer systems.  Instructions are on the MAMEdev wiki if you want to try it out.

As usual, you can get source and Windows binaries from the download page.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
Re: MAME 0.200 Released
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 12:26:30 pm »
Thanks to all the Mame developers! 
In case you don't hear it enough    :applaud: :applaud:
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

gstav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 10:59:19 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157861.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 11:26:36 am »
great days!  ;D

one function I've still struggle to get going is the default artwork for games missing its own artwork.
I believe you just have to have a horizon.zip in the artwork forlder, but nothing shows up.
Have I missing something???

This function I believe have been around since MAME.195  ::)

Thanks in advance
"One coin to rule em' all"

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:33:12 pm »
You have to have fallback_artwork option in the mame.ini set to 1

Also, in the ini folder, I have an ini file named horizont.ini with the following inside:

Code: [Select]
fallback_artwork horizont

phulshof

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 07:02:40 am
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 02:14:20 am »
You have to have fallback_artwork option in the mame.ini set to 1

Also, in the ini folder, I have an ini file named horizont.ini with the following inside:

Code: [Select]
fallback_artwork horizont

That first part isn’t needed; the second part is.

gstav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 10:59:19 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157861.0.html
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:03 am »
Thanks guys! It works just perfect!!
Guess I just do the same with a vertical.ini + vertical.zip for shmups too?  ::)
"One coin to rule em' all"

phulshof

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 07:02:40 am
    • Pieter's Webpage
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 05:24:17 am »
Thanks guys! It works just perfect!!
Guess I just do the same with a vertical.ini + vertical.zip for shmups too?  ::)
Yes, that's the ticket.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 07:50:25 pm »
Wait...so MAME now comes with default artwork? Where is the documentation on this? I can’t find it on Mame dev.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:38:34 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 12:24:09 am »
Wait...so MAME now comes with default artwork? Where is the documentation on this? I can’t find it on Mame dev.
Disclaimer: I haven't tested this.

Looks like the files and directions are on Mr. Do's site.

http://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_generic.php

Writeup appears to be outdated since step 2 of 3 tells you to compile the executable, but the layout and .PNG files should still work.   :dunno

Scott