Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ODroid XU4 Mini Build  (Read 6820 times)

Richie_jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
ODroid XU4 Mini Build
« on: July 20, 2018, 05:26:56 pm »
So ive decided to do a mini build based on the XU4.

So far ive got the base board and sides with components in place ready to wire up.

After some opinions on whats the best way for powering on and off.

Sorry for the crap diagram.

This is what im thinking...

Incoming supply is 12V 6amp , positive wire goes straight to the power switch on the front right side.  Its a latching switch..
This then comes out the switch and powers a 12volt to 5v usb power hub (Middle Circuit board) Shown Below

This board will be used to power a 1tb ssd housed in the screen area. Plus the screen. Plus anything else needing 5v. I needed this as there are only 3 usb ports on the XU4

Back to the wiring. The 12v live then goes to a fan controller board, shown below.

This controls the 2 50mm side fans and has a temp probe and a warning system. The XU4 likes to run hot.

The live then powers a DC/DC Buck Voltage Regulator Power Converter,

The reason i`m using this is i only wanted 1 power supply cable into the cab. If that was a 5v supply ( Which the XU4 requires) i`d be limited in what extras i could fit, what fans i could use and the XU4 is pretty power hungrey also so i`m led to believe.
It should give out a nice clean 5v supply to the XU4

Back to the picture again and the negative from the incoming 12v just daisy chains to each 12v board.

Now the XU4 just gets its juice from the output of the convertor set at 4.8ish volts.

The picade will be powered via its usb connection to the XU4.

One USB 3 port on the XU4 will go to a small usb hub for 4 more extra ports.

So the problem i`ve got is, you press the power switch and everything comes on. XU4 boots and loads up retropie.

When you want to stop playing you select shutdown from the menu and the XU4 powers down correctly.

But all the other boards will still be powered up because the power switch is still plugged in. Not really an issue but it would bug me.

The other scenario would be that someone presses the power switch whilst its running and powers it down and eventually the sd card becomes currupt..

So ideally i`d prefer a momentary switch on the power switch on the side., press this and it all boots, press again and it performs a proper shutdown.

i have no idea how to get that working. I`m presuming maybe two wires on the GPIO pins???

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: ODroid XU4 Mini Build
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:45:05 pm »
Looking good. I have not messed with the Odroid yet, been stuck on RPis for a couple years now.
I use the mausberrycircuits.com switch circuit to power up and shutdown my RPis with a push of a button or a flip of a switch.
I dont know if they make one for the Odroid or not, but Im sure there is a way to do what you want.
Are all those fans really needed? Does the odroid put off a lot of heat?

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 05:34:06 am »
I'll check them boards out thanks..

When the cab is fully built there's no natural air flow from inside to outside so the fans are just to keep the internal case temps down...hopefully they'll only run at minimum speeds...

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:09:02 am »
Looking good. I have not messed with the Odroid yet, been stuck on RPis for a couple years now.
I use the mausberrycircuits.com switch circuit to power up and shutdown my RPis with a push of a button or a flip of a switch.
I dont know if they make one for the Odroid or not, but Im sure there is a way to do what you want.
Are all those fans really needed? Does the odroid put off a lot of heat?
I reckon that circuit will work for any of those boards. You might have to adjust the software a bit though, but probably that's not even needed. Just have to look carefully at the pinout of the board.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 06:41:12 am »
Testing with some rough wiring. Pulls about 0.7a at idle and i`ve seen it peak at about 2.8a.  Didn`t realise my power switch was only rated to 3amp so might change.

The shutting down bit i cold probably live with for now.  When you press the power switch it boots up, then you can select shutdown from the menu and Xu4 powers down, the fans still run until the power is killed again..

So next step is to make all the custom cables and wire it up, get everything working give it a decent play test,  then i`ll strip it all down and start on the vinyl wrapping/painting and tidy it all up..

The Picade i`m not certain im keeping.  Its hit and miss and the amp doesn't seem to work properly, loads of feedback also through the speakers..

With the XU4 theres no 3.5mm audio out, audio is via hdmi, so i`m using a HDMI audio stripper box.

Maybe thats the issue..more testing needed..

[/url]

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 10:09:11 am »
Cab is looking nice.  Love that unique design.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 03:09:43 am »
odroid xu4 is great

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:06:04 am »
Looking good. I like the way you labeled the admin buttons on the screen. Cool.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10:27 am »
I like your work mat.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 03:22:45 pm »
Well this turned out to be to much hassle. I could do it but don't have the time yet to invest in all the custom cables needed as you can see most of the components inside..

So I've moved onto this..

Nice easy shape and internals hidden.

Can wire every thing up outside then perspex tray just slots inside

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 10:31:58 pm »
Wow it looks great.  What size monitor are you using?

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 04:12:07 am »
It's an 8 inch ips pi screen.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 08:17:45 am »
Been busy last few weeks and i`m nearly complete. 

i`ve been using a bare PCB for audio amplifier similar to the one pictured below

Its powered off the 12V rail inside my cabinet thats basically directly connected to the incoming 12 v supply.

There is a lot of interference in the sound, crackling Odroid fan noise, hissing, etc etc which i just put down to being a cheap amplifier and probably being unshielded didn't help.

So i purchased the one below which was 3X the price. 

I tested it inside the cab but plugged into its OWN 12v supply supplied froma seperate power source, and the sound is great no interference.

But as soon as its connected to the common supply the interference is back again just as bad.

So i`ve narrowed it down to the issue being the power supply.  But how do i stop this noise???

Can you buy a power filter or something, audio not my strong point.   

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 03:46:38 pm »
The problem you are experiencing is basically a ground loop, you could put a ferrite in there between the output from board and input to amp or amp to speakers,  Ideally run the amp from its own power supply and you won't get this issue. Although I do need to fix the issue with my new pc and desktop speakers coz its annoying as balls.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:53:28 am
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 04:57:48 pm »
I just ordered this two days ago. I have to pick it up tonight. I will see if it helps what I have going on. Sounds somewhat similar.

J_K_M_A_N

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 05:41:31 pm »
The problem you are experiencing is basically a ground loop, you could put a ferrite in there between the output from board and input to amp or amp to speakers,  Ideally run the amp from its own power supply and you won't get this issue. Although I do need to fix the issue with my new pc and desktop speakers coz its annoying as balls.

Think i`ve got some ferrite rings somewhere.  I`ll try them

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 05:45:14 pm »
I just ordered this two days ago. I have to pick it up tonight. I will see if it helps what I have going on. Sounds somewhat similar.

J_K_M_A_N

Yes noticed these on amazon today.  Mines the same noise when playing bluetooth also might not be the 3.5 jack causing it

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 02:34:05 am »

J_K_M_A_N

That's the jobby I need :)

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 11:07:23 am »
I've decided to have two power supplys inside the cabinet. This means bringing 240volts into the cab, this will then be split into two 240v connections one into a 12v 6A unit for the odroid (feeding the step down voltage board). The other 12v 3A will feed the speakers and amp only.
It's a cram fitting two large power bricks inside but I know I'll have zero interference...hopefully..

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 11:55:05 am »
Mine ended up not being the grounding issue (at least that item I linked to did not help). I have this amplifier that I was using with this power supply and I had a buzzing sound. I ordered a second power supply that was the same rating and that cleared up the noise. Unfortunately, I am outside the return window on the first power supply. But I can use it with the LED lights that I had ordered the second power supply for. They don't make any noise. :)

J_K_M_A_N

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 07:26:50 am »
Finally finished. I never planned on any artwork but accidentally drilled through one side!!!.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 08:55:28 am »
That looks great! That is very much the size I have thought about making. So compact and easy to bring anywhere. Very cool.  Well done! :cheers:

J_K_M_A_N