Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JUZI - The mini UZI light gun build  (Read 44213 times)

gstav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 09:42:01 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157861.0.html
JUZI - The mini UZI light gun build
« on: July 20, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »

JUZI SHOWCASE VIDEO

Other older gamplay videos:
Playing "Behind... Enemy lines" New recoil mod with attached cocking handel to solenoid."

Playing "Elevator Action Death Parade"

Playing "Operation WOLF" + quick demo of the WIP gun."

Playing "Aliens Extermination"

Playing "Gundam Spirits of ZEON"

Playing "Let's Go Island"

The beginning

It all started with my previous build of converting a original NAMCO light gun with the re-coil kit from Ultimarc.

The arcade feel was right there with the right feedback shooting the guys in Time Crisis or the Sharks in Point Blank, but hey, if one would play a point and spray title like Operation WOLF or Terminator 2: Judgment Day, well, then the arcade feel was there too, but just for the first bullet, the rest of the massacre would be felt from the in-game sound effects as the trigger had to be released and pressed again for the solenoid to fire.

Not the guns fault really, that was just how the gun was made to work and not suited for full auto games.

Annoying, though! What if I make a gun with full auto feature with maybe a switch for single fire gaming? Put an Aimtrak in a small sub machine gun type, like an MAC-10 or the awesome UZI?

I browsed the net and found a great candidate for it. An faulty mini UZI air softgun.
Price around 40$ shipped - new around 170$!!

The Gun

The gun is C02 gun from KWC and is mostly made of metal. It is very sturdy with an impressive authentic weight in the hand.
I really do not know if I can recommend converting a Co2 gun over an electric type (AEG) as the latter have many of the needed components pre-installed already where the Co2 does not.
Though I had no choice going the UZI way as no electric 1:1 metal gun were to be found.

I had to gut and modify pretty much everything inside the gun and retro fit my own parts. Just to place the trigger switch right took me hours.

The switch for the trigger is super small and fits between the inside bottom and the mechanics of the trigger and gives signal in the right pull of the trigger - around 80% pulled state was my seet spot.

Sparks Attiny Arduino Nano clone

Early on I reached out on Arduino forums and pitched my idea and the first guy I tried to contact turned out to be the super nice guy I needed, a true Jedi and his name was Juice.

I presented my idea and after some days he send me a schematics of how to solder a module with Sparks Attiny, a super small and cheap programmable chip.

He also gave me the code in order to program the Attiny clone board and the chance for me to alter the code for the best operation of the unit.

Edit: The code is now released for all non-commercial purpose thanx to mr. Juice:
download the JUZI code

The whole thing it powered from the same 5V+ USB as the Aimtrak and all fits inside the clip of the gun. I bought a mini uzi clip branded WELL from eBay as the gun came without it's clip.
Cost like 15$ in ABS (original clip in metal 50$). Would have been nice in metal but not Worth the steep price.

Fire selector mode

The gun had a thumb switch which sets it in S-Safe, R-Single Fire and A-Full Auto, but as the gun also have a grip safety which must be pressed before the gun can fire.
I thought I just keep that function and use the three positions of the thumb switch for three fire modes as follows:

S-Single Fire, R-Burst and A-Full Auto, where the single fire and full auto is the same as for what is sent to the Aimtrak - a long on signal.

The burst however, is really 3 single shots fired in an automatic fashion as long as the trigger is being hold.

The gun solenoid answers different to the signals and fires 1, 3, and auto pulses per selected mode a real gun would..

The thumb switch is read with a 10K linear potentiometer inside the gun and its limit values is selectable in the code. (This function can also be controlled via a push button if one wanted via the code)

-- VIDEO --
Early test with the three fire modes on the NAMCO solenoid

Here the Aimtrak module is test mounted and the recoil connected to fire for each fire modes selected

Fitting the Aimtrak Module

According to my measures the Aimtrak module would fit perfectly inside under the front part of the aim tactile, I had to modify the front barrel a bit and drill a groove so that the camera from the Aimtrak would have a free sight of the IR-diodes

Choosing the right feedback

I struggle on what to use as feedback device. I initially thought of use a vibration motor, but it was a tad too big to fit and then I had to mount it horizontally which would make the vibration goes right/left, and not kick back and forth as you like for a gun.

Also thought of using a small vibration motor and then a small solenoid in conjunction but ended up using a real NAMCO solenoid from my second gun.
I had to modify the solenoids mount rails in order to fasten it and also lower it a bit by cutting the top part off so I could put the top back on.

The solenoid holds up and kicks hard. I initially thought that it would be super hot but it is luke warm at most. clearing the whole first level of Let's Go Island which is a more or less full auto all game through!
The videos of it does NOT make it justice. It kicks like an angry mule!

no-authentic upgrade

After some heavy play-testing I thought that I had to, even though this is NOT how the real mini UZI suppose to behave, connect the top cocking handle to the solenoid for a more arcade style of firing. This sounds more metallic, which also adds to the fun and more realistic I think!  :angel:

Here is the top cover (bottom view) with the cokcing handle which from stock is connected to a spring and ony works as a pull-and-return gimmick.

I removed the spring and created a latch of a metal sting covered in shringking tube. This is just a prototyp, but I thought it can stay in there and I reinfoce this function if broken as
I intentionally just wanted to see if this was a good idea or not. (edit: It was a great idea!)

Here it is screwed tight under the NAMCO recoil top screw. The task now is to catch the hook from the under side of the cocking handle so it stays connected.
I wanted to do this so can open this part fairly easy if needed.

Linked together

Video of the now recoiled cocking handle

-- VIDEO --
Playing "The new feedback in action"

Playing "Behind... Enemy lines" New recoil mod with attached cocking handel to solenoid."

A module cord

I build the cord for the gun using GX16 6 pins male/female connectors. In this way I could free the gun from the cable all together and also take the cord from the cab if needed. I ended up using 5 pins so that would have been enough for this. The cord is an electrical cable 5G with good arcade like black rubber isolation.

GND
5V+ (USB)
12-24V (Solenoid)
DATA1 (USB Aimtrak)
DATA2 (USB Aimtrak),

The cord also enables the gun to be used in multiple arcade setups or if one wants to use the original NAMCO gun for one game and the switch to a full auto gun for another.

I also found it hard to mount an arcade gun to a standard cabinet. Front mount is a no go as it would poke the player and on the side would normally need a holster of some kind.
I thought they where a bit steep in price to get ithem shipped to Sweden, and also if I wanted to remove the gun they would just sit there over the vinyl artwork.
So I just mounted a long screw in the side which I then covered in shrinking tube.

Now when a gun is not connected minimal coverage is affected to the side art.
The only visible parts is the pin and the female GX16 connector for the module cord.

Here is how it looks with each respectively gun mounted.

The good thing a bout the cord also beeing modular is that you can display the guns when not in use aswell as hide them for underaged players(!)

As many of the game titles have a second button like in Operation WOLF you can throw a grenade I placed a button on the right side of the guns front.
Much like on Operation WOLF It thought of use a red button, but I later went with a black as I wanted as much of an authentic gun as possible.

-- VIDEO --
Showing off the buttons

Also, the button for release the clip is used as a secondary button. I just put a small micro switch under the button which was already there. (And no, you cannot detach the clip anymore)

The underside of the clip have the male GX16 and also a mini USB female port which makes it super easy to re-program the JUZI module if needed. I have played a bit whit the on and off times of the solenoid in the burst and full auto modes, and this is a breeze having this extended port, though it might be overkill for some.

This gun really can play it all: Single fire shooters and also full auto titles. And the burst mode is just a great bonus mode, like in Virtua Cop, House of the Dead or in games that require you to shoot like crazy like Point Blank.

I don't know if this is the first gun ever made with switchable fire modes and recoil feedback, but I have not seen a finished project when searched around which proceeded me into writing this short story.

I absolutely love my gun to bits and sometimes find myself posing with it in the mirror with a bare torso like when you were Little just finished watching a Rambo flic.

Best 200$+ ever spend if you ask me, although my wife might tell you different.

Lock and load!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:25:55 am by gstav »
"One coin to rule em' all"

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Re: JUZI - The mini UZI light gun build
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 04:07:48 pm »
Dude
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 04:37:59 pm »
 :notworthy:

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 04:41:57 pm »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

When are you going to start mass production :)

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

When are you going to start mass production :)
Seriously....

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:13:11 pm »
Cool bar just got raised.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 10:38:40 pm »
Wow.   :notworthy:

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 10:39:48 pm »
DaOld man likes this project!!  :applaud: :applaud:

krangbrain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2020, 05:36:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 12:01:18 am »
This is amazing.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 02:27:27 am »
Nice work.

Arimack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2021, 02:38:40 pm
  • OFNQ - Old Farts Never Quit -
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157605.0.html
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:37 am »
Some attention to detail with this project. Amazing.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 08:44:48 pm »
Dude thats awesome!

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 10:45:16 pm »
Thats so good I wouldn't want my kids to see it. To real looking.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 07:37:48 am »
Wow! Thanks for the positive feedback guys!  :angel:

I guess you could do this as a kit if one wanted to as it is really a small board added to your existing aimtrak setup.
The gun is 100% completed and working flawlessly, but I intend to re-visit the gun shell lid on the right sid to look a bit better.

(though of using a top cover to an IKEA trash-can *lol* you will see).

Just have to wait for my faulty dremel to return after it burned when using it too heavy  :laugh:

Yes, a bit too realistic looking maybe. Had to pull the blinders when working on it stopping any a nosy neighbors call it in ;D

One easily could go with the red side button and keep the orange tip plug if too realistic.

Thanks again guys!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 09:06:54 am »
I remember when I was a kid they started putting those red plugs on the end of toy guns. We always spray painted them black.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 06:53:34 pm »
I have to say this is the coolest, innovative, arcade diy add-on i've ever seen.

I'd patent that puppy, refine it and mass produce it.   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 03:38:00 am »
That is soooo cool.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 02:09:19 pm »
Nice. btw - is that Battle of the Planets?

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 02:16:31 pm »
Hehe yes, it is a themed cab from the Wii title "Tatsunoko VS Capcom" but I titled it "Human VS Machine - Ultimate Challenge"  ;D

http://i0.wp.com/shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/tatsunoko_crop_750x400.png?fit=750%2C400&resize=750%2C400

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 04:32:54 am »
After some heavy play-testing I thought that I had to, even though this is NOT how the real mini UZI suppose to behave, connect the top cocking handle to the solenoid for a more arcade style of firing. This sounds more metallic, which also adds to the fun and more realistic I think!  :angel:

Here is the top cover (bottom view) with the cokcing handle which from stock is connected to a spring and ony works as a pull-and-return gimmick.

I removed the spring and created a latch of a metal sting covered in shringking tube. This is just a prototyp, but I thought it can stay in there and I reinfoce this function if broken as
I intentionally just wanted to see if this was a good idea or not. (edit: It was a great idea!)

Here it is screwed tight under the NAMCO recoil top screw. The task now is to catch the hook from the under side of the cocking handle so it stays connected.
I wanted to do this so can open this part fairly easy if needed.

Linked together

Video of the now recoiled cocking handle

-- VIDEO --
Playing "The new feedback in action"

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:54:23 am by gstav »

meduza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2024, 08:03:23 pm
    • LEDSpicer wiki
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 04:28:48 pm »
Simply AMAZING  :notworthy:

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 05:32:50 pm »
Superb. Gonna have to rip me up my old aimtraks and make me something similar. If only lightguns weren't such an ass to store in your cab...

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 03:49:01 am »
Thanks guys!

Yes, I also found it hard to mount an arcade gun to a standard cabinet. Front mount is a no go as it would poke the player and on the side would normally need a holster of some kind.
I thought they where a bit steep in price to get ithem shipped to Sweden, and also if I wanted to remove the gun they would just sit there over the vinyl artwork.
So I just mounted a long screw in the side which I then covered in shrinking tube.

Now when a gun is not connected minimal coverage is affected to the side art.
The only visible parts is the pin and the female GX16 connector for the module cord.

Here is how it looks with each respectively gun mounted.

The good thing a bout the cord also beeing modular is that you can display the guns when not in use aswell as hide them for underaged players(!)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:58:00 am by gstav »

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 04:30:10 am »
Did a remake of Operation WOLF with own animations. Turned out pretty funny although I don't know how well it will go with the rest of the showcase video for the gun.
What do you guys think?

--[ Video ]--

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 09:27:09 pm »
Nice build! It's the only good diy (or commercial) home light gun project I have ever seen.

I have the BB version of that mini Uzi. I was thinking of using it to make a mold to cast a new light gun shell. I hate my Ultimarc light guns. I feel like I paid $100 for a $15 product...I literally lost interest in shooting games when they arrived. custom is the only option.

I was going to use a regular mini dc 6000rpm motor to cycle a bolt for the full auto recoil. I just don't understand how to make a solenoid cycle rapidly so there aren't many other options. Do you have to be able to write code for the "custom chip"?

The recoil kit from Ultimarc lacks full auto capability so it is essentially just an overpriced cheap solenoid to stick inside the gun shell yourself. Why can't anyone make a decent light gun for home use???

I feel like there should be an off the shelf product to allow you to cycle a 12v solenoid but apparently, the only way is for each of us to invent one for every project...

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 04:07:35 am »
Nice build! It's the only good diy (or commercial) home light gun project I have ever seen.

I have the BB version of that mini Uzi. I was thinking of using it to make a mold to cast a new light gun shell. I hate my Ultimarc light guns. I feel like I paid $100 for a $15 product...I literally lost interest in shooting games when they arrived. custom is the only option.

I was going to use a regular mini dc 6000rpm motor to cycle a bolt for the full auto recoil. I just don't understand how to make a solenoid cycle rapidly so there aren't many other options. Do you have to be able to write code for the "custom chip"?

The recoil kit from Ultimarc lacks full auto capability so it is essentially just an overpriced cheap solenoid to stick inside the gun shell yourself. Why can't anyone make a decent light gun for home use???

I feel like there should be an off the shelf product to allow you to cycle a 12v solenoid but apparently, the only way is for each of us to invent one for every project...

Thanks for the kind words!
Don't have any experience of the pre-made AimTrak guns, but I did bought the recoil kit with the solenoid, and the thing you get there really is non fireing solenoid when aiming off-screen.
Good effect for my Namco single shooter gun, but not a feasible add-on to this build.

I also think you should go custom or you will never get the true arcade feel. But good for those who just want to step up from playing with the mouse.
That's why did the mod to a real Namco gun with the oiginal solenoid for that good ol' "clack-clack-clack".  :angel:

The solenoid used in the juzi project also is a Namco orignal solenoid, and I do not think you can push the fire rate much more without raising the voltage as there is a bit of time for pull the rod befor release.
The solenoid is designed for 24v max i think and I running them on a 19v laptop supply.

For faster RPM one shoud go either with a shaker motor, which I tried with initially, or if I had the know how, one should build like on the real Operation WOLF gun.
(Not my pictures)

I did see the Terminator Salvation repair video, and they do use the same method but with a extended shaft to push to your shoulder. See link below:

You do need a code written to the Audrinuo mudule to control the state of the selected fire rate and how to puls the signal to the solenoid and to the Aimtrak module.
Not my area though, but according to mr.Juice who helped me with the code, this was easy as pie for him. It was all just which outout to pulse to in what interval and delays.  ::)

You can connect anything up to what the board can handle. I think around 50V is no problem, but my connected solenoid would think otherwise. Dont want to burn it as they are really expensive to buy new and har do get used in good condition.

I think of making a new gun for my brother using a shaker motor placed in the clip with the shake weight in the housing of the top opart of the gun. Then the chip just have to pulse on and of as long as the full fire is needed. Would feel a bit different and I could use a smaller gun. Thought of a Mac-10 or a micro-UZI. But that's somewhere in the distant future as of now..

I could check with him if a module could be created in some way. Soleding it was a bit of time consuming as I did want it to be as small as possible.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:12:32 am by gstav »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 11:33:53 am »
Writing code of any sort, even simple code, is beyond my abilities but using a regular motor to create linear motion is in my wheel house. I just built a diy CNC milling machine so I can visualize how to make it work with a high speed mini motor and a small linear rail. Not unlike what's in your pic.

I am ok with it not being linked to the software. I don't need it to stop cycling when I run out of ammo etc. It's more important for me to create something that recreates that Operation Wolf feel I have fond memories of.

I remember being amazed by the full auto recoil of the Operation Wolf gun when I was a kid. Those games become very ordinary and boring when played with a mouse or an Ultimarc gun. They have a few used Terminator 2, Operation Wolf and Operation Thunderbolt arcade guns on eBay. I'm tempted to start with one of those.

The other idea I was thinking through for cycling a solenoid is to do it mechanically. I.e. I would have the solenoid break the circuit when engaged and recreate it when it snaps back in to place.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 12:28:56 pm »
 Aah, smart having the circuit break when the solenoid hits. That would create the same effect really. Also, if one would ju have the motor go with the trigger fire I thought of having double switches. One for Aimtrak and the other for closing the motor. Super easy. Would love to see your build when started.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 01:25:01 pm »
I am going to experiment with a 12v long throw solenoid that I bought for another project. It's a question of whether I can make it cycle reliably with a mechanical circuit break. Then I have to check if it creates the right feel for a full auto sub-machine gun as my ability to vary the speed would be limited.

I also just ordered a 12v strobe light controller with a variable pulse speed. This may (or may not) be another easy and cheap option for turning a solenoid on and off rapidly. The mechanism required is not that different to a flashing light.

The weight, realism and how it's mounted also matters for me. One of the biggest let-downs with all currently available commercial home light guns is their pathetic lightweight plastic shells and lack of fixed mounting options. I'll never understand why, out of all the arcade guns ever made, they all chose to copy those awful red and blue Namco pistols. They were one of the least exciting arcade guns.

Surely, if you are going to copy an arcade design... the Operation Wolf (or even Thunderbolt) guns are the way to go. That's what I think of, or Terminator 2 or that super awesome sniper rifle game with the LCD screen in the scope.

Are you planning to fix your mini UZi to a base of some kind?

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 04:50:16 am »
Cool! Would love to see the progress of your testing of that strobe controller when you get to it friend!
Don't know if 12V will do or not, but I noticed that for example, losen the top so that the metal could rattle a bit made a whole new feel to the gun, so I guess you could adjust things or the right feel too.

I aso hade the plastic and hollow feel of cheap as arcade guns. You want the weitght and also if possible some cold metal parts  :cheers:
Sure, I have a NAMCO gun too, but that is just for the Point Blank and Time Crisis typ of titles using them. Otherwise I go with my JUZI nowdays.

Hehe! Would be awesome with a Silent Scope kind of gun. But I don't think that that tite is playable as of yet in MAME, and just with mouse in PSCX2 (but I would love to be wrong on this...)
2 games with this sniper function is Golgo 13 (rom golgo13) and Golgo 13 Kiseki no Dandou (rom g13knd). Well worth checking out.

I do not think I will ever mount my gun on this cabinet. And frankly, this two guns of mine is not for mounting either as they have aimtrak.
If you want to go with mounted guns you should set them up using a analog joystick in the base for aiming. (also mych cheeper to build).
If I did have a 2nd cabinet and another wife(!) I might concider doing a shooter cab  :laugh:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 07:54:20 pm »
Cool! Would love to see the progress of your testing of that strobe controller when you get to it friend!
Don't know if 12V will do or not, but I noticed that for example, losen the top so that the metal could rattle a bit made a whole new feel to the gun, so I guess you could adjust things or the right feel too.

I aso hade the plastic and hollow feel of cheap as arcade guns. You want the weitght and also if possible some cold metal parts  :cheers:
Sure, I have a NAMCO gun too, but that is just for the Point Blank and Time Crisis typ of titles using them. Otherwise I go with my JUZI nowdays.

Hehe! Would be awesome with a Silent Scope kind of gun. But I don't think that that tite is playable as of yet in MAME, and just with mouse in PSCX2 (but I would love to be wrong on this...)
2 games with this sniper function is Golgo 13 (rom golgo13) and Golgo 13 Kiseki no Dandou (rom g13knd). Well worth checking out.

I do not think I will ever mount my gun on this cabinet. And frankly, this two guns of mine is not for mounting either as they have aimtrak.
If you want to go with mounted guns you should set them up using a analog joystick in the base for aiming. (also mych cheeper to build).
If I did have a 2nd cabinet and another wife(!) I might concider doing a shooter cab  :laugh:

Funny you should say that. I came to the same conclusion myself.

I hadn't fully understood that my Aimtrak works more like a mouse than a light gun (so no wonder it doesn't work that well). I.e. Instead of the gun reading the position you aim at on the screen, the IR sensor is trying to read the position of the gun. So... No matter how long I spend calibrating, the next time I turn it on, the crosshairs never seem to line up with my sights (because I moved a little).

After doing further research, I was surprised by how many of my favorite arcade shooters use positional guns instead of light guns. So, given how mame treats guns (I.e as a mouse) and seems to allow a mouse type devices to be used even on light gun games, I am back to the idea of using a real T2 or Operation Thunderbolt gun on a fixed pedestal.

I have ordered an A-pac from Ultimarc which allows up to 4 pots plus some buttons to connect to a mame PC through a USB port. If I can figure how to use rotary potentiometers in mame, converting a real T2 gun may be as simple as connecting it's pots to my A-pac.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 03:44:48 am »
Yes, all PC emulated light gun games is operated with a mouse or a gun acting like one.
For "Generation X" or "T2 - The Arcade" and many other games you would be playing with a joystick from stock settings,
but in mame you just configure thew joyX and joyY analogue to be played with, a mouse for example.

You you should be able to configure all games to use a joystick if you want to, and in some PC games I guess you could use like a joy2mouse app
like xpadder if it dosen't want to take a joy, so you should be fine with a pedal mounted gun too.

A-pac should be a super easy setup. The you go inte the analog settings in MAME and set sensetivety and speed for each direction and you can mimic the arcade feel pretty much spot on.
you only need 2 pots for X, and Y and the rest for trigger buttons.

Did a ps2 gamepad controller hack for my mini racer to Pi3 where I connected the left thumb joy to the board. Got full analog steering in MAME, so on a PC with a Ultimarc-product - it would be a breeze :D

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 09:58:37 am »

I finally did a video for my light gun:
JUZI SHOWCASE VIDEO

Any input welcome  ;D

Ninjadog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2019, 12:01:44 am
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 07:15:54 pm »
Holy frig man, this is the coolest arcade gun ever. Sweet placement in Chun Li's hand too.  :applaud:

Ixliam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2018, 01:23:31 pm
  • DIY Skee-Ball Man
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 10:20:01 pm »
That is really cool, and that's coming from someone who's built an actual uzi from a parts kit (cut up for import) into a working semi-auto firearm. Amazing how close the airsoft shell and some of the internals are to the real thing (mine is a full sized version). Sure might be something I'd might look into down the road, as I like that full auto feedback you came up with.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 02:15:20 am »
Holy frig man, this is the coolest arcade gun ever. Sweet placement in Chun Li's hand too.  :applaud:

Tanks Ninjadog! Yes the artwork kind of fitted the guns placement even though it was installed later on.  :angel:
Might install some soft led light to the back of the hinge for a soft glow, but as it is placed next to my pin this might be overkill as of now.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 10:10:55 am »
Thanks @Ixliam!

I also found the likeness whem browsing blue prints from the real mini uzi gun.
I know that the cocking handle should not be in on the action but it looked so cool + the added metallic effect, so I just could not get back after trying it.
Then I read that there is both open and closed bolt firing? Thought of having open but, it would be better to have the closed typ when others played it :D
Sadly I couldn't retrofit the original bolt which also looked as the original as the namco solenoid is a big mother, so I had to go with a fake plastic lid to run on the inside of thebolt opening.
The real gun firing on Co2 should be pretty darn powerful as seen in youtube vids.

Maybe it is cheaper to build it from real parts if one could acces it as the air soft gun is rather pricey.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2019, 07:27:35 pm »
Please can you share the code used to get full auto recoil?

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 04:12:49 am »
Please can you share the code used to get full auto recoil?

I checked with the authour and I got the permission to release the code so head back to the first post and you will find it there, both for analog potentiometer and digital push button fire selection options ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:46:22 am by gstav »

meltman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:23 am »
Really like the aerospace connectors you used. Shamelessly copying the idea for my cabient.

:angel: