Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JUZI - The mini UZI light gun build  (Read 44209 times)

gstav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 09:42:01 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157861.0.html
Re: JUZI - The mini UZI light gun build
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 02:50:41 am »
Haha no shame in that at all Sir!
It works awesome and sits perfect when the ring is tightened. Also great in my case having multiple Aimtrak guns using only one cord and having the unused guns neat on display. A solid win. Use a GX16 5pin minimum for a build as mine. (USB data 2pins, GND, 5v, solenoid voltage pin)

Looking forward to see your mod!
"One coin to rule em' all"

meltman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 10:22:37 pm »
My first step is to just use those sweet connectors to make the guns easily disconnectable. I've got a couple in hand and am happy with them. 8 pin.

Later on, I REALLY like the idea of having custom guns on the shelf with interchangeability like you got going on. Seriously sick.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 02:45:07 am »
Yes! It's great and if you ever got a broken cord, you just have to replace or fix it without the gun in the mix. I really have 6pin connectors, but 5pin is minimum. Guess it's just more crowded in the housing with more.

Only downside is the added work on the cable and the cab mount, if one want to disconnect the cable completely.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2019, 07:07:23 pm »
Please can you share the code used to get full auto recoil?

I checked with the authour and I got the permission to release the code so head back to the first post and you will find it there, both for analog potentiometer and digital push button fire selection options ;D

Thank you.

I have been having a frustrating time finding components that survive full auto recoil... the on / off pulse seems to destroy relays and the heat generated destroys most solenoids.

I just ordered some solid state relays to see if they can survive a 555 circuit.

What solenoid are you using for full auto and how have they lasted? It took less than one game with full auto recoil (using an Aimforce dongle) to destroy the solenoid and mosfet in the Ultimarc recoil kit.

I just ordered some real arcade gunblade guns which use a motor for recoil. I'm thinking this might be best.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 05:52:45 am »
Hi pal! I don't know if a 555 would be any different except o my setup with audrino you can change the fire mode from single - burst (tre real single shots to Aimtrak) or full auto.

My solenoid does not get ot at all running on a laptop supply 19v, think it is made for a 24v power supply originally.

It is an original Namco solenoid which I harvest from a broken time crisis gun.

Doing a new build now with a plastic rifle (log to come) and I have a smaller solenoid spec 24v, but same size as ultimarc. De sent get hot either though I have to test it in game but have no Aimtrak as of yet.

Also have a shaker motor in this build which is a neat effect indeed. Just wanted the solenoid as it also have a small sliding recoil part.

khoubash

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2020, 06:55:40 pm
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 03:03:42 pm »
Oh man, that is amazing. I sent you a mp.   :applaud: :dizzy:

khoubash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 06:54:57 pm »
Hi pal! I don't know if a 555 would be any different except o my setup with audrino you can change the fire mode from single - burst (tre real single shots to Aimtrak) or full auto.

My solenoid does not get ot at all running on a laptop supply 19v, think it is made for a 24v power supply originally.

Doing a new build now with a plastic rifle (log to come) and I have a smaller solenoid spec 24v, but same size as ultimarc. De sent get hot either though I have to test it in game but have no Aimtrak as of yet.

Also have a shaker motor in this build which is a neat effect indeed. Just wanted the solenoid as it also have a small sliding recoil part.

Another project?  ???  :banghead:

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2019, 06:11:05 am »
My WIP tfor a Aimtrak SMG using a Tek Recon - Havok Blaster.

* Fully working recoil with a solenoid and using a vibration motor as well!
* 3 fire modes single/burst/full auto as in the JUZI,same PCB but this time I have an Audrino NANO. this is bacause I needed the extra outputs to control some cool light effects in the mag window :D
* Trigger - Pump trigger - 3rd button on pump handle
* same module system using the GX16 female conector

Here's a sneak peek on the project  ;D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:21:22 am by gstav »

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Brilliant!
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2019, 09:30:50 am »
This is so awesome. Sooo awesome.

I have to do this.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2019, 01:25:42 pm »
Thanks for the kind workds mate! You really should do it!

I don't want to clutter my own thread but this light gun also uses the JUZI module so it is kinda proper though I will post in it's own thread.
Problem is my motherboard died on my main computer so my pictures is a bit on lockdown! :D Stay tuned!

khoubash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 02:36:09 pm »
Oh man, how much I envy you.  :notworthy: :dizzy:
I think this TEK is even more interesting than Juzi (Juzi is also a beautiful weapon) this TEK looks more arcade lightgun. You use an original namco solenoid or just aimtrak kit? please advise when you publish this new project. I have a dream to have some lightgun for my arcade cabinet. Congratulation

PD: I'm still waiting for the digispark module to try it for the second time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:54:30 pm by khoubash »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2019, 07:37:36 pm »

I took a break from trying to get my solenoid recoil guns working in mame to finish my LA Machine Guns mame recoil gun. It's a lot easier as it uses a gear motor for recoil so you only need a relay:

The full auto recoil is awesome on games like T2 and Alien 3 as the mechanism moves the whole gun back and forth when it recoils making it feel a little more "real".

Now it's back to the frustrating solenoid recoil project. I bought the arduino thing that I thought you said you had used but now that it's here, I'm not sure I bought the right thing. It has a USB cable but my PC doesn't seem to recognize it's existence so I can't see how you upload any code to it... does it need extra software?

I also purchased a PAC Drive to have a go at using Mame hooker but that software is the hardest and least intuitive thing to use since the MS Dos days. So far, I have only been able to use it to turn on a Christmas light (but not turn it off)....

It's so annoying. Why can't they just have software with a drop down menu so you can click "output 1, solenoid, activate by joy 2 button 1 (the trigger)" etc.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2019, 11:30:34 am »
Oh man, how much I envy you.  :notworthy: :dizzy:
I think this TEK is even more interesting than Juzi (Juzi is also a beautiful weapon) this TEK looks more arcade lightgun. You use an original namco solenoid or just aimtrak kit? please advise when you publish this new project. I have a dream to have some lightgun for my arcade cabinet. Congratulation

PD: I'm still waiting for the digispark module to try it for the second time.

Hehe! Thanks! I also think that the TEK is something else, that's also why I'm motivated as having the same type of guns would be a bit unnecessary imo.
Also fun to incorperate a shaker motor to the kick of solenoid + some led animations for IDLE[ib] and FIRE, mode.  :angel:

I will post  here for sure when I have got a new motherboard as my main pc broke down, so all my pics is stuck in there for now :(

I took a break from trying to get my solenoid recoil guns working in mame to finish my LA Machine Guns mame recoil gun. It's a lot easier as it uses a gear motor for recoil so you only need a relay:

The full auto recoil is awesome on games like T2 and Alien 3 as the mechanism moves the whole gun back and forth when it recoils making it feel a little more "real".

Now it's back to the frustrating solenoid recoil project. I bought the arduino thing that I thought you said you had used but now that it's here, I'm not sure I bought the right thing. It has a USB cable but my PC doesn't seem to recognize it's existence so I can't see how you upload any code to it... does it need extra software?

I also purchased a PAC Drive to have a go at using Mame hooker but that software is the hardest and least intuitive thing to use since the MS Dos days. So far, I have only been able to use it to turn on a Christmas light (but not turn it off)....

It's so annoying. Why can't they just have software with a drop down menu so you can click "output 1, solenoid, activate by joy 2 button 1 (the trigger)" etc.

Wow, thats a big mother of a gun pal!!!  :applaud: Guess it is a bit hard to use in a normal cabinet and might need its own dedicated cab. Would love a lightgun dedicated cab for sure if I had the room for it.
The Audrino clone I used was the "Digisparks Attiny85" but any audrino would do. I guess smaller gives less outputs. Also used a Audrino Nano which works too.

I would love to help and have tried to help a nother member previously so I could also post my diagram here so you can see + the code I used for that very board.
You can use another audrino setup but then one have to specefy the correct outputs to match!

In this picture you can se the digisparks connected

*P1 goes to the yellow wire, "solenoid pin"
*P4 is not connected on the pic, but should go to the Aimtrak module.
* GND between the 24v solenoid power supply should be common and connected to the Audrinos GND

As the Digisparks is a clone you want to place the special .h file in the same folder as the file.
Both are found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mknl5sslcmv1ayq/JUZI_Code07_button-digispark.zip?dl=0

Also, when programming the digisprk you must wait befor the programming button is pushed befor connecting the USB.

You also need a special library for Digisparks in order to find the device in the Audrino programmer.

I did an Installation guide so you can program your digisparks and/or Audrino Nano clone here.  :dizzy:
http://pasted.co/0583b38e

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 06:48:17 pm »
I think that attiny85 is the same thing I bought. Are you saying that, in order for the computer to recognize the device, you need to press a button on it? I can't see any buttons...

If I misunderstood, how do you load code or software onto it?

I'd have another go if I could figure out that part.

I was thinking to also try connecting the trigger of my T2 solenoid gun to my Aimtrak and connecting the Aimtrak recoil board to the T2 solenoid so I could use my Aimforce dongle for full auto.

The Aimtrak gun and kit is low quality garbage and the aimforce dongle only works with an aimtrak. As I am never going to use the Aimtrak as a gun again, maybe it might have some limited use as a recoil board... that is if I can get it working again....

The aimforce dongle destroyed the Aimtrak recoil kit in 3 minutes. Now it engages the solenoid as soon as you connect a psu. I'm guessing the mosfet burnt out.

Btw, I don't have dedicated cabs. I mounted the fixed guns on an aluminum T-slot stand which is on wheels. This allows me to easily switch out control panels for different types of games.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2019, 09:45:45 pm »
Also... I wanted to ask why you chose to use a mosfet instead of a solid state relay for this project?

I can't seem to make any of my mosfets survive for more than a few minutes of rapid on / off switching. They just get hot and melt the wires...

I haven't done enough testing to know if a solid state relay can survive full auto switching. Mechanical relays certainly can't.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2019, 11:05:54 am »
That's insanely cool that you are able to completely switch out the control panels. Would love that for driving games as of now, no is installed on my cab.

I don't know if the spec of your MOSFET is to low? Guess it's quite the amp going through. Mines not even get hot feeding it with the 19v laptop supply.

Here is another video of the TEK with a second digispark just for controlling the leds in the magazine. Pulsing light when idle and flashing sharper light upon each solenoid pulse. Feels pretty arcade this way I think.  ::)

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2019, 06:39:14 pm »
That looks nice, you should add a stock to make it more comfortable to use for extended play.

I generally prefer a rifle to a pistol for extended use (with any type of gun). It feels more natural for full auto games and easier to aim.

I am on the hunt for a deal on a Teraburst or op Thunder Hurricane gun shell. I have the recoil motor and slide mechanism for one so it would be an easy and awesome full auto Guncon conversion.

My second choice would be a Crisis Zone arcade gun but I have never see a deal on a used one on ebay (or anywhere else).

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2019, 03:49:57 am »
That looks nice, you should add a stock to make it more comfortable to use for extended play.

I generally prefer a rifle to a pistol for extended use (with any type of gun). It feels more natural for full auto games and easier to aim.

I am on the hunt for a deal on a Teraburst or op Thunder Hurricane gun shell. I have the recoil motor and slide mechanism for one so it would be an easy and awesome full auto Guncon conversion.

My second choice would be a Crisis Zone arcade gun but I have never see a deal on a used one on ebay (or anywhere else).

Both the JUZI have a foldabel stock, and the TEK have a retractable one.  ::)
I  found 2pcs Terraburst shells here pal https://www.ebay.com/itm/arcade-gun-set-for-Konami-Teraburst-Arcade-untested/192657680173?hash=item2cdb4ae72d:g:6h8AAOSwJhdbm7aq:rk:23:pf:0
Also some Time Crisis guns, but they are expensive to come buy, like 150us/each and they noramlly try to sell them for parts too.  :'(
http://"https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Crisis-arcade-plastic-gun-part-295/254060798549?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D6173561669234fe29f88cb179639a623%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D192657680173%26itm%3D254060798549&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I've seen a Crisis Zone gun, but they are pretty expensive and rare, priced like the Operation G.H.O.S.T. guns

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2019, 02:51:15 pm »
here is one more clip of the TEK project, demo the 2 LED sequences on idle/fire and the three buttons
trigger (fire) - pump button (grenade) - pump action (flame thrower) I will make its own thread as soon as my PC is back up running.

wallmachine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 11:44:00 pm
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2019, 07:26:26 pm »
#gstav this is awesome! is much required to learn arduino? or is it just plug and play?

with the GX16 6 pins how does this connect to the PC?

Also where do you change the 3 fire modes single/burst/full auto? I can't see where you make the changes in the video.

I purchased two Tek Recon Havok :D awaiting the project thread now to know what else I need to buy!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:39:52 am by wallmachine »

khoubash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 12:56:17 pm »
 :applaud: Awesome, 100% Arcade. What solenoid do you use?

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 06:35:34 pm »
I found these ready made 555 signal generator boards on eBay for $7 delivered. It's an off the shelf full auto recoil solenoid solution:

I wish I would have found these at the start. I couldn't buy all the components for what it costs for a ready made one. They are infinitely adjustable for frequency (recoil speed) and duty cycle.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:16:53 am by Zebra »

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2019, 01:05:21 am »
#gstav this is awesome! is much required to learn arduino? or is it just plug and play?

For you to build a JUZI module it is just soldering and connecting a Audrino board to the components correctly (I use an Nano in the TEK build)

The Audrino must be programmed, but the code is already done to work pretty much directly.

You might change the value on how long the solenoid should be ON and OFF per shot if needed, and if you are using a potentiometer (Analog) way of selecting fire (default in the code) or if you want to cycle the modes with a button (Digital).

Pretty easy to find and modify, no programming skills needed :) just a matter of uncomment and comment lines. I'll see if I can make it even more easy when using digital or analog use.

with the GX16 6 pins how does this connect to the PC?

The GX16 is more of a handy connector so you can disconnect the cord both from the cab but also the gun itself, letting other guns built the same way sharing one cord.

I use 5 PINs so more is not necessary. As long as you follow your PIN setup, you can set them up as you please.

My setup is:

PIN1 - 12-24v (solenoid voltage)
PIN2 - 5V (from USB cord connected to PC)
PIN3 - DATA1 (from USB cord)
PIN4 - DATA2 (from USB cord)
PIN5 - GND (from USB + solenoid, common ground)

This gives you a one connection - ready to go cable.

Inside the PC the GX16 goes to the power supply from PIN1 and PIN5 and to a PC USB port from PIN2, 3,4 & 5.

In the gun PIN 2 and 5 feed the Audrino and Aimtrak (Aimtrak also get the DATA1 and DATA2)

Also where do you change the 3 fire modes single/burst/full auto? I can't see where you make the changes in the video.

I did not changed the fire modes in the video. It is just set to full auto.

On the right side of the gun you have a slide switch which stick into 3 positions out of the box.

I have connected a linear potentiometer to its plastic arm in the same fashion as in the JUZI build for it to change the fire mode. (this is the analog take and default in the code).

I purchased two Tek Recon Havok :D awaiting the project thread now to know what else I need to buy!

I will get a TEK build thread up even though my build is not finished and my main PC is broken *lol* but I guess I can perfect the thread during the way.

The components for a JUZI pcb used in the JUZI and TEK build is.

1x 330 ohm resistor
1x 1k ohm resistor
1x MOSFET
1x optocoupler
1x diode (optional, to protect the solenoid)
1x Audrino Nano board

:applaud: Awesome, 100% Arcade. What solenoid do you use?

It is a TDS-08A open frame solenoid 12-24v from ebay :)

I found these ready made 555 signal generator boards on eBay for $7 delivered. It's an off the shelf full auto recoil solenoid solution:

I wish I would have found these at the start. I couldn't by all the components for what it costs for a ready made one. They are infinitely adjustable for frequency (recoil speed) and duty cycle.

Cool board! Indeed! And to a great price too!
Would you please link to the parts used if possible?  :applaud:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2019, 11:31:40 am »
These are the NE555 signal generators I used in the video:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-2-PCS-NE555-ADJUSTABLE-FREQUENCY-SQUARE-WAVE-GENERATOR-MODULE-5-15-VDC/261237806674?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I don't know if they are the best but they work (so far). There are tons of different options for these boards on eBay. I also tried some small red boards but I couldn't make them work in terms of getting the right frequency.

I have a (slightly) more sophisticated one on order with digital controls and an LCD display for settings. I'll report back on how well they work when they arrive.

If you choose a different board, just make sure it's an astable one with two pots. There are also monostable timer boards variants which are only suitable for semi auto. They are easily confused (speaking from experience).

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 02:32:13 pm »
The digital (controls) signal generator just arrived:

I haven't tested it yet but it looks easy enough to use. It seems more like the sort of thing you could incorporate into your control panel to allow easy and quick recoil speed adjustments.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2019, 08:53:11 pm »
I found a set of Teraburst guns for my Guncon 2 project:

I love these guns for this purpose. There is enough space inside for any type of gun electronics and the recoil mechanism is the best I have seen so far:

I might use the second one for my Act Labs gun for a little Op Wolf.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2019, 02:01:26 am »
Wow look at them bad boys. Congrats on your find. Looks absolutely awesome  :cheers:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2019, 11:30:25 am »
I was definately happy with the find. It's very hard to find these guns with the recoil motor for a good price.

I had to return a bunch of "complete" guns because someone had removed the recoil mechanism. IMO, they are only worth buying with the motor unless you feel like a project to fit a solenoid instead. There is certainly room inside but I never seem to finish that type of project...

With no more than 5 minutes with a dremel, you can make enough room at the front to hot glue an un-modded Guncon 2 board. Then you just have to wire the trigger and front grip button. I used the old trigger button from my Aimtrak (not needed after recoil mod) which fits nicely with just a little snip off the end.

Because it uses a 12v dc motor for recoil, I can activate it with a simple relay. It's one of the easiest full auto arcade recoil gun mods I have seen. No 555 circuits ir Arduino's to worry about.

gstav

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2019, 02:25:30 pm »
Envy your guns man!  ;D
Yes, that's sounds like a super easy mod for the ones struggling with a build like mine but yet want to go full auto for sure. Call me crazy but I think the built was just as fun to make to completion as using the gun in game afterwards  :angel:

khoubash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2019, 02:43:55 pm »
Congratulations, very nice and you are lucky with the included recoil and at a good price.

I am looking for the housing for a second original Namco gun, in ebay from the USA they abuse a lot with the prices in old pieces.

I love these guns for this purpose. There is enough space inside for any type of gun electronics and the recoil mechanism is the best I have seen so far:

khoubash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2019, 02:56:32 pm »
The most beautiful part of all this apart from playing, is build it yourself, when you finish and everything works, you feel very proud. I prefer a 1000 times to build a machine than to buy it made, It's fun especially when something goes wrong  :angry:

Envy your guns man!  ;D
Yes, that's sounds like a super easy mod for the ones struggling with a build like mine but yet want to go full auto for sure. Call me crazy but I think the built was just as fun to make to completion as using the gun in game afterwards  :angel:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2019, 05:31:35 pm »
Envy your guns man!  ;D

I like a good project as much as the next guy. I'm pretty good at making stuff out of carbon fiber and I built my own CNC mill for aluminum work. The part I don't enjoy is electronics or trying to make stuff fit in shells it wasn't designed for. I find it incredibly time consuming  and frustrating. I would rather spend that time playing than soldering.

Still, now that I found ready made 555 boards for full auto solenoids, I could go either way. I think I prefer a recoil motor though for full auto. You get a stronger recoil feeling with less noise, less heat and less power. It's just more reliable.

I'm using solenoids for my Time Crisis guns as they came with them and all the fitting has been done. I keep breaking Guncon 2 boards trying to make one fit though. I'm currently on my 3rd....

I might try and copy your mini Uzi at some point. I have the bb version of that gun but it's got a leak. I'm deciding if to fix it or use it for my Act Labs gun project.

The plan is to have a wall of converted real arcade guns to choose from, depending on the game and my mood. So far I have finished Gunblade, Op Thunderbolt and T2 directional recoil  guns for my PC, One Time Crisis gun and one of the Teraburst rifles for my PS2.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2019, 05:45:03 pm »
Congratulations, very nice and you are lucky with the included recoil and at a good price.

I am looking for the housing for a second original Namco gun, in ebay from the USA they abuse a lot with the prices in old pieces.

Yeah it's a frustrating shopping experience right now. All of the used parts seem to have fallen into the hands of total ass-holes who think a broken or "untested" TC gun with half the parts missing is worth $150. It's not like anyone is actually paying that much. The same ones sit on eBay for years so nobody is enjoying them.

I picked up a pair of Super Jolt guns for around $40 a piece off eBay. They look identicle to the arcade TC guns although the quality is not as good. If you replace the lens and the electronics, the rest of them is quite usable for a project though. The recoil solenoid in them is just right IMO. It's a nice jolt without being uncomfortable for long play sessions.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2019, 07:07:53 pm »
I finally got around to wiring the ne555 board to my Gen X gun and it works very well considering how easy and cheap it is:

I like these Gen X guns for a mame project. They look a little odd but they are very cheap on eBay and far nicer to use than my Op Thunderbolt guns. The solenoid in them is solid and great for full auto.

Now I just need to figure out how to use them with model 2 games. Gunblade seems to only work with a mouse even though the original arcade gun is an analog directional stick. I was hoping to play it with my Gunblade arcade gun....

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Brilliant!
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2019, 08:06:05 pm »
I love everything about this thread.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2019, 02:29:17 pm »
Yeah me too. It's odd to me that this site does not have a dedicate shooting game section when it has so many pointless sections for everything else.

Arcade shooting and driving games have always been the hardest experiences to recreate at home and the most dependent on having quality peripherals. While there are now a great many quality ffb racing wheels for the home market, fans of shooting games with PC emulation have been limited to a tiny number of poor quality options.

Diy projects to convert arcade guns and to put Aimtraks and act labs electronics in better shells with recoil are the only way currently but there is surprisingly few threads on it. I just assumed that I was part of a tiny minority that love arcade shooters and want to create an authentic arcade experience.

khoubash

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2019, 12:26:57 pm »
I am very fond of shooting games and Racing games, in fact I have a racing cabinet and now I am building one of shots, I could never enjoy these games with a joystick, unfortunately currently most people and especially young people are very comfortable with the Xbox joysticks.
I don't understand much about electronics, and thanks to the @gstav  help I am getting to make a shooting cabinet. I wish everyone shared their knowledge with other users.

@Zebra, could you tell me how to feed the ne555 with 5v from the aimtrak pcb? Thank you.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2019, 05:19:01 pm »
I don't use mine with an Aimtrak but if you bought their recoil kit, you could use the mosfet on that with a 5v psu from an old phone charger.

You can not and should not use the Aimtrak solenoid for full auto though. They aren't made for it and you'll break it quickly.

I am currently using an independently powered relay board to activate the NE555. It takes 5v from it's own psu and only takes the signal from my trigger switch to activate it. The NE555 activates a solid state relay which powers the solenoid. I seriously doubt this is the best way to do it but my electronics knowledge and patience is limited. My set-up currently uses 3 seperate power supply's, two relays plus the NE555 board....

If there is a way to take 5v from an Apac directly, I haven't found it yet.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »
I just found another fun use for the fixed gun. I used the Rev X gun as an analog stick for afterburner and space Harrier. It worked far better than you might expect.

I'm not usually a fan of Afterburner. The difficulty was all wrong on that game but it was kinda fun playing it with full auto recoil.

Anyway, for those with one control panel for everything, putting a fixed gun in the middle can easily double up as your flight stick and anything else that uses an analog stick.

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Brilliant!
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2019, 01:13:18 pm »
gstav, have you had any issues with connection reliability with your connectors?

The ones I picked up just suck and I have really bad connection reliability issues. It's really bumming me out since it took so long to get the connectors soldered in and the guns modified.