Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crt emu driver question about intergrated graphics support?  (Read 2456 times)

darthdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2018, 05:49:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I wonder if anyone can help me "insert phone a doctor joke"

I have a old Hp pc that I am about to retire it was new in 2003 :) but the old dog has never missed a beat still usable today. So I really want to put it to good use still. I am not opposed to buying a graphics card for it but for a quick test to see if cpu it up to the task before I spend money.. its a Amd x64 x2+4400 if that means anything to you guys. I have made my vga to scart cable already and been using it for a few weeks with retropi

The pc uses a intergrated graphics chipset ati xpress 1150 , is this capable to work with groovy mame/crt emu driver? 

If I have to buy a graphics card that's fine, but If I can use it as a stop gap for free even better :)

Thanks for your help in advance

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: Crt emu driver question about intergrated graphics support?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:20:59 pm »
That CPU is so old that the performance is going to be miserable in any recent version of MAME.  Also, MAME runs much, much, MUCH, better on Intel hardware so you're doubly screwed.

I think that integrated ATI chipset includes Radeon X300 graphics but I don't know if CRT_Emudriver supports it.  Often, integrated graphics drivers are different than standalone graphics card drivers, especially at the time that hardware was made.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 02:51:59 am »
I think that integrated ATI chipset includes Radeon X300 graphics but I don't know if CRT_Emudriver supports it.

The old, no-longer-recommended crt_emudriver v1.2 supports the X300 on WinXP. I managed to get my x200 mobility to work, and that's not on the list at all. I reckon it would be worth giving it a go.
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65

It'll probably handle most games about as well as the Pi though, as Krick notes. Upgrading the GPU won't help, the GPU is normally only used to push a video mode in MAME/GM. So there might not be much point. Isn't there a Pi distro now that does about the same thing as switchres does in GM?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:58:00 am by buttersoft »

darthdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2018, 05:49:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 11:02:01 pm »
Oi you two stop bashing Dave, he may be old but honestly still usefull.

I play a lot of mame on the pc and have done for years i haven't updated for a year or so mind you, I was playing Crimson clover and death smiles 2 on it before I posted, it has a graphics card already I just thought I'd wouldn't metion that as its nividia and there a no go right? But my pc is a potato I have even thrown it at the Mrs and it broke my laminate can't kill Dave.

Just wanted some rgb goodness  Owell :(.

Buttersoft the pi is is the works and you can use rgb via hdmi but i wanted to play some games knowing the pc has more oomph than the pi and all that res switching is more mature on pc. Plus I want to sell all my console games only thing that made me keep them was its easy them to play on my crt.

As you said I can always try it and if it don't work no biggie ;P  thanks for your help guys.