Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: IPAC4 programming timeout issue  (Read 1742 times)

SilentGunstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2018, 09:55:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
IPAC4 programming timeout issue
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:37:52 am »
Hello, folks.  This is my effort to save Andy an email over at Ultimarc, hopefully you guys can help.  My OS is Windows 10.  I happen to be using an IPAC4 (or FOUR, as it's printed on the board).  I believe it to be a model from between 2004 and 2008, but I have attached a photo just in case.  I am using the older WinIPAC Interactive Panel Designer software, which works with boards post-2004 and pre-2015.  I run the program "as administrator" - it can save key profiles and load them, but it can't program them.  It simply gives a "timeout" error.  There is a firmware upgrade for "MK2 boards only" - I have no idea if mine is a MK2 revision, but I tried to do the firmware upgrade under the "Tools" menu, but I get a message that says "driver install FAILED."  I realize this is an older IPAC model, but I was really hoping I could use it with my current build.  Does anyone have an insight on what I could do to get this programmed correctly?

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
Re: IPAC4 programming timeout issue
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:05 am »

This is indeed around 15 years old.

There would be many challenges with getting configuration software to work under Windows 10 and even more so following the April Win 10 update which knocks out most older drivers. Also if connected via PS/2 this would not be possible at all with Windows 10.

The board should work though, which brings up the most important question: Does it actually work and send keys? This would need to be confirmed before attempting to reconfigure.

If it is working the "interactive" configuration method should work, let me know if you need details of this. This does not use host software at all.

SilentGunstar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:01:18 am »
It was working just fine, but unfortunately it has stopped sending keys since my attempts to reprogram the board.  Is it possible to reprogram the IPAC4 using an older OS, then simply hook it back up to my current PC?  Or am I in trouble here?

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:37:50 pm »
Yes that should be possible.

SilentGunstar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 06:51:56 pm »
Thanks, Andy.  I'll give that a try and report back.

SilentGunstar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 09:55:13 am »
Andy - okay, I was able to reprogram the IPAC4 with my Windows XP OS machine.  However, it got me thinking - I didn't want to have to hook up this IPAC to an older computer every time I wanted to reprogram the IPAC.  I upgraded to the Arcade VGA5000 card, so I decided to grab the new IPAC2 and install that in my primary cabinet.  I'm going to use the older IPAC4 in an older machine and make a tabletop cab.

Thank you for your help!